IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Coconut Madness In ISRAEL !!!

lioril

Hey Lior!

Thanks for the explanations, I understand why you aren't risking it after a bad experience, do you plan on getting the Annona in the ground when they are more mature?  The Annona that died what soil did it have?

I have searched for your passionfruit, I have come up with two different things with that Yellow lilikoy name, one is passiflora edulis var flavicarpa (which seems to me the yellow one I have tasted) and the other one is a super rare cousin of the passionfruit, passiflora laurifolia. The first was supposed to be tarter than the normal purple passionfruit, the second is supposed to be sweet but different than both granadilla (passilora ligularis) and the normal passion fruit passiflora edulis. Since you seem to have the passiflora edulis var flavicarpa I am surprised it is that sweet, you probably have a very good cultivar:)

Who would imagine, coconut, mangosteen, cacao and Euterpe Oleracea outside in Tel Aviv. Hope you keep getting nice results Lior, you might be even tempted to try out the lipstick. If you like challenges that one is regarded often as very demanding if not the most demanding and is a beautiful palm. 

Regards, 

Pedro

• Upvote 1

Hey Stelios!,

You would be very welcome indeed, make it happen hehe.

The Story, or should we say, History of your coco is even more epic now, what a journey indeed. We might never know what variety she is but it doesn't matter, looks nice and the beaches where she was born are epic as this story:)

Keep us up to date:)

Regards,

Pedro

• Upvote 1

• 1 month later...
On 9/4/2018, 11:20:00, Cluster said:

Hey Lior!

Thanks for the explanations, I understand why you aren't risking it after a bad experience, do you plan on getting the Annona in the ground when they are more mature?  The Annona that died what soil did it have?

I have searched for your passionfruit, I have come up with two different things with that Yellow lilikoy name, one is passiflora edulis var flavicarpa (which seems to me the yellow one I have tasted) and the other one is a super rare cousin of the passionfruit, passiflora laurifolia. The first was supposed to be tarter than the normal purple passionfruit, the second is supposed to be sweet but different than both granadilla (passilora ligularis) and the normal passion fruit passiflora edulis. Since you seem to have the passiflora edulis var flavicarpa I am surprised it is that sweet, you probably have a very good cultivar:)

Who would imagine, coconut, mangosteen, cacao and Euterpe Oleracea outside in Tel Aviv. Hope you keep getting nice results Lior, you might be even tempted to try out the lipstick. If you like challenges that one is regarded often as very demanding if not the most demanding and is a beautiful palm. 

Regards, 

Pedro

Hello There Pedro,

Sorry for the Late reply, Yeah I'm a bit worried about the Annona Muricata, But after today's MicroStorm that "opens" our winter i guess, Im much more worried about

my Dwarf Acai and small Coconut Sprouts, My Vanilla Orchids, Fe'i and AeAe Bananas, and my Cocoa Trees, So I have much to worry about as you can Imagine...

I hope they will make it through.

About the Passionfruits, Mine are Edulis as far as I remember, But I'm not sure, I can only say that they are the best Tasting passionfruits ive ever tried. 

much better then any other variety I've tried in the past. I do have Granadilla as well but it never flowered yet, Its still small. 

About the palms. I have very unique taste, I don't like the lipstic palm, I do love Coconuts and Acai (since it looks like a small coconut).. i love it's tropical look. 

lets hope this winter will be friendly to my palms just as the previous one was. 

Take care my friend. 

Hello My Dear Friends !!!

It's about time for my Palm Update for this Fall and for Exciting Coconut News !!!! :yay:

But first of all lets start with my Coconut Palms, Big Boy is getting really big, It had a good run since it was planted in

my back yard, it has a good protection from my Bananas, I didn't Cut off the extra Pups this year since U wanted to get

a good Drainage this winter in order help the Coconut on its first winter outdoors. The Small Sprouts are looking good,

I Think I'm gonna get them indoors, there was a storm a few days ago and it hurt the new beautiful big leaf of my 

King Coconut, From all my sprouts why the king had to suffer ! Murphy - You Suck ! :badday:

All my other sprouts look fine, Including my Dwarf Acai, I took 2 of them to my friends orchard and planted them

in the ground, it may be the only specimens of ACAI palms that where actually palnted in the ground in Israel,

Since i don't know about other Acai Palm Growers out here, I hope they will make it through this winter, It will

be awesome. I added a few Pictures - ENJOY ! ;)

CocoBig3.jpg

CocoBig4.jpg

CocoBig5.jpg

CocoBig6.jpg

CocoBig7.jpg

CocoBig8.jpg

CocoBig8.jpg

CocoBig10.jpg

CocoBig10.jpg

CocoNutBig1.jpg

Acai1.jpg

• Upvote 2

BREAKING NEWS !!! - FRUITING COCONUT Found in Eilat ISRAEL !!!!! :yay:

I was looking for a sign that will give me hope, That someday I will be lucky enough to sit in my 

tropical yard while drinking Fresh Coconut water from a fruit harvested from my own Coconut

Palms, And Today, I found what i was looking after !!! - I found a guy in an Israeli 4x4 Car Forum,

That lives in the Southern City of Eilat (ISRAEL), that grows a Coconut  palm in his yard for 15 years

(his post was in 2010 so the palm should be 23 years old by now if it's still alive) In his post, The guy said

that in 2010 his Coconut had fruited for the first time, I have added the pictures of his palm with fruits on it

that he posted in the Car's forum, I also found him on FaceBook, if he will agree (and if the Palm is alive),

I will go there and take pictures of this wonder, I have to see it in my own eyes, We already know about 20+

years old coconut that made it in the dolphin reef which is also located in Eilat City. - So there it is !! ENJOY !

I guess that this proof will put ISRAEL on the Coconut Map...

Screen Shot 2018-10-27 at 11.58.07 AM.png

Israel Fruiting Coconut1.JPG

Israel fruiting Coconut.JPG

• Upvote 4

This is the reminder of the Dolphin Reef Coconut palm in Eilat, It was brought as a Sprout from Thailand

and planted on the Beach, It's in a pour condition since nobody takes care of it, But it should be alive, I tried

to Contact somone over there in order to guide them how to take care and save this palm from dying, It has

a good location near the Red sea but the thing is i think it has no water to support itself and also no Fertile soil

and Acidity. ...Maybe i will give it another shot.  

Dolphin Reef Coconut.jpg

• Upvote 2

Eilat Fruiting Coconut Story CONFIRMED !!!

I just talked to the Guy, His name is Hanan, He lives in Eilat, I asked him

about the Coconut, He told me that It was already planted in the yard, The previous owner

of the residence brought the Seedling from Seychelles island, And planted it, and there it

Stands Alive and looking great more then 23 years after, Hanan told me that the palm is 

almost 10 meters tall, and I asked him if the Coconut fruits are Viable and he told me that

they are empty inside, I told him that maybe it's due to lack of watering and Nutrients, I guided

him what to do, I hope he will do it. Since in Eilat there is very low humidity levels unless it's 

located on the Shore of the Red Sea, I guided him to Increase Humidity by Planting Bananas

In his back yard, I will increase Humidity levels, that's what i did, I live in Tel Aviv (Sub Tropical Climate)

Humidity levels are high but during winter time its much colder then in Eilat. 

Anyways, I'm Gonna go to pay him a visit after he kindly invited me to see this wonder, 

I will bring him good fertilizers and some other gifts that will help him take care of this Amazing palm !.

I just added a few Pictures Hanan took for me today !!! Enjoy !. 

Eilat Coco2.jpg

Eilat Coco3.jpg

Eilat Coco5.jpg

Eilat Coco4.jpg

Eilat Coco1.jpg

Eilat Coco7.jpg

• Upvote 8

Nice! Looking forward to further reports! Do you think the low humidity is the reason for the shorter fronds?

I see the kalanchoe (is it K. daigremontiana?), a ubiquitous weed in South Florida, is its living mulch.

Edited by Manalto

Looking pretty good, considering the arid climate.  I would save effort trying to provide more humidity and instead water it as much as possible (and throw it a little fertilizer here and there).

• Upvote 1

Great photos Lior and terrific to see a coconut doing so well in your country, I hope you have as much luck with yours as your mate is having with his. I agree with palmsOrl, I think you'd be better off watering the palm more regularly than planting bananas, it looks like the coconut is quite close to a pool which should help with humidity levels to some degree. I think good regular applications of seaweed solution, fish emulsion and watering would really help this lovely palm. Looking forward to seeing your photos, thanks for sharing mate.

• Upvote 1

Very nice coco. Could it be a hybrid? 

5 year high 42.2C/108F (07/06/2018)--5 year low 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)--Lowest recent/current winter: 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)

Nice find Lior! Maybe there are more in Eilat. Keep us posted and for other palms that grow there.

Your palms look great too.

Hello there James,

i don’t really know what’s the scientific

explanation to the short fronds, but I do think it lacks water and fertilizer. 

On 10/27/2018, 8:16:29, palmsOrl said:

Looking pretty good, considering the arid climate.  I would save effort trying to provide more humidity and instead water it as much as possible (and throw it a little fertilizer here and there).

Thanks Mate, I do think that the main problem with Coconuts growing outside tropical regions isn't the Humidity levels but the cold

Wipes them out, or to me more specific the combination of poor drainage in the soil + low temps, I do hope that Hanan will take the

tips i gave him, I also offered him to give him one of my young sprouts, But he said he has a lack of Space in his yard, so I guess this

big boy is gonna remain a loner unless he will change his mind about my offer (Here every coconut palm is like a gold mine, Since 

there ain't too many people who grow coconut Palms, I think that I'm the Main Coconut Addict in Israel. 

Let just hope that from this day on Hannan will start fertilizing and watering his Coco more often and maybe will see some Viable

Coconuts someday. 

Cheers. 

On 10/28/2018, 1:15:42, sandgroper said:

Great photos Lior and terrific to see a coconut doing so well in your country, I hope you have as much luck with yours as your mate is having with his. I agree with palmsOrl, I think you'd be better off watering the palm more regularly than planting bananas, it looks like the coconut is quite close to a pool which should help with humidity levels to some degree. I think good regular applications of seaweed solution, fish emulsion and watering would really help this lovely palm. Looking forward to seeing your photos, thanks for sharing mate.

Thanks Dave, 

This discovery made me very happy and optimistic about my own Coco Palms, I do hope that someday I will manage to see them bearing fruits, But we will have to wait 

a few years, I wish I would have done it earlier when i started with this all Coco Operation about 4 years ago, I was afraid to plant them in the ground, later on so i figured 

that was my biggest mistake, cause Planting them in the ground is the best thing one can do especially when growing Cocos outside the tropics, then can have well established

root system, and that alone improves their survival chances dramatically. You are right that its proximity to a water pool may help it a bit, But the main focus should be on watering

more and fertilizing it at least once a month. 

I will post some more photos as soon as poosible,

thanks . 

• Upvote 1

On 10/28/2018, 4:28:33, GottmitAlex said:

Very nice coco. Could it be a hybrid? 

On 10/28/2018, 1:15:42, sandgroper said:

Hello there Alex, 

Thanks for your Compliments, to be honest, I have no idea what variety it is, It could defiantly be a Hybrid

there are many coconut Varieties on the Island..I don't think that Even the guy who brought it knows the answer

to that question, But the main thing that matter is, that it seems to be fine and it's still Alive, Lets hope that it will

last for many more happy years.  

On 10/28/2018, 7:12:35, Stelios said:

Nice find Lior! Maybe there are more in Eilat. Keep us posted and for other palms that grow there.

Your palms look great too.

Hello There Stelios,

As always, thanks a lot for your compliments Mate,

How are you mate and how is your Coconut ? I would love to see it if you can take a few pictures and show us

its growth rate this summer, One thing i have noticed about your coconut, that this year it became a true Palm,

Robust trunk and very nice foliage. As for your question, I do know that there actually are more Coconut Palms

Planted in Ein Gedi botanical garden which is also located near Eilat, I hope i will manage to get some pics of em

someday and if so, I will defiantly post them here for you to enjoy.   

Cheers my friend. 

Hi Lior

I'm looking forward for more updates about the coconuts in Eilat.

As for me, everything is OK. This summer my cocos looks like it grew slower. It must be because I gave it less water. I have a well water but I have to fix the pump to be able to use it. The city water is more expensive so I was watering the garden less. Since I started giving extra water to the cocos the last few weeks it started growing faster. The weather this so far warmer than last year and the new spear might open full before December.

Best regards

Stelios

2018-11-01 06.23.53.jpg

2018-11-01 06.23.15.jpg

• Upvote 6

21 hours ago, Lior_Gal said:

Hello there Alex, 

Thanks for your Compliments, to be honest, I have no idea what variety it is, It could defiantly be a Hybrid

there are many coconut Varieties on the Island..I don't think that Even the guy who brought it knows the answer

to that question, But the main thing that matter is, that it seems to be fine and it's still Alive, Lets hope that it will

last for many more happy years.  

Quite right! 

Those stubby leaves look like true  tahiti/Fiji dwarf leaves. Although, the base does not.. (that is why I posited the question if the palm is actually a hybrid of sorts)

Best of luck

5bd4721ae25f9_EilatCoco2.jpg.6a46248e90422c0344e31f3a0750b5b5.jpg

• Upvote 1

5 year high 42.2C/108F (07/06/2018)--5 year low 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)--Lowest recent/current winter: 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)

9 hours ago, Stelios said:

Hi Lior

I'm looking forward for more updates about the coconuts in Eilat.

As for me, everything is OK. This summer my cocos looks like it grew slower. It must be because I gave it less water. I have a well water but I have to fix the pump to be able to use it. The city water is more expensive so I was watering the garden less. Since I started giving extra water to the cocos the last few weeks it started growing faster. The weather this so far warmer than last year and the new spear might open full before December.

Best regards

Stelios

2018-11-01 06.23.53.jpg

2018-11-01 06.23.15.jpg

Dear Stelios 

Your Coco palm looks amazing even though as you say, It lacks water, I do hope that you will manage to find a proper irrigation solution soon, since each leaf your coconut will push out will help to increase it’s growth rate if you will keep

fertilizing once a month or so, As for now its looking great, keep up with the good work,

cheers, 

Lior.

Edited by Lior_Gal

Hello Lior,

Thanks for the answers! Maybe you have a nice variety of Edulis then, that is amazing because usually they have a better taste, so if they are sweet they must be delicious.

Your coconuts look all nice and so many varieties, I look froward to hearing from them as they move forward. 

I am also curious how your Açaí palms will manage! They are said to be very tropical, fingers crossed, will be a tough test for sure for the ones planted, so will it be for the Annona from all you say (especially if you decide to plant it in the ground at some point).

The Story of the Eilat is really cool, I think that coconut definitely needs more water to get better fruits, they seem to dry out. The fact it is fruiting and being "single" makes me wonder if it could be some sort of Dwarf, probably not because the trunk base is very pronounced. Talls usually need other coconuts around to bear fruits, maybe the fact it aborts could also be explained by lack of pollen? Don't know this myself just speculating, regardless there can be improvement with the proper water and diet:) It is nice you will be able to follow it now!

Regarding the Lipstick, fair enough, you are the first person I know that doesn't drool over that palm:) Still it would be fun for the challenge and the seeds are so small (cocos are way harder to get due to this!). 

Good luck with the project, looking froward to the updates:)

Regards,

Pedro

• Upvote 1

Hi Stelios!

Your coco is looking great, will definitely appreciate your increased heat there! The more I see it the more I think it is not a Golden Malayan Dwarf, the fronds seem to have a darker green tint than Golden Malayans, that one resembles more a King or similar varieties.

Regards,

Pedro

• Upvote 1

Thanks Pedro!

We still have temps 28-29c in the day and around 15-16c in the night around my area (in Tel Aviv must be more than 31c). It's good that it still gets some growth before winter. As for the variety if king is hardier than golden dwarf it will be good news for me if I have a king. Only the nut was kind of small when I brought it so I can't be sure.

Best regards

Stelios

• Upvote 1

Hey Stelios!

I am also not sure the what coco variety it is, it just seems to me on those pictures that the fronds are a bit darker, but could be the camera. Usually Golden Malayan have some lighter green (yellower tint to the green), from what I have seen, take a look at: http://www.palmtalk.org/forum/index.php?/topic/48631-coconut-varieties-2/. Also they don't seem to have very stiff fronds, but considering the age of your coconut, it might be too soon to take conclusions based on that. 

Regards,

Pedro

• Upvote 3

Yes, I see what you mean Pedro. The fronds became more dark green with the years so it could be! I only have to try to keep it alive and healthy for as long as possible.

Nice photos in that topic about varieties. Beautiful palms!

Best regards

Stelios

• Upvote 3

I love the golden rachis with those dark green leaves.  It's beautiful..

My golden Malayan dwarf has lighter green leaves. The same with my golden pacific and my baby red Tahiti dwarf.

You have something very special.

Regards!

• Upvote 3

• 1 month later...

Just curiosity. Red Sea is fine enough for a coconut to grow normally, isnt it? So coconut beside Red Sea is not a big surprise for me to be honest. Mediterranean is challenging I think

Hello you guys, 

just a short update, i decided to spare my coconut sprouts and untill i will plant them in the ground next spring in placed them indoors all the dwarf acai sprouts took a beat and the leafs are partly burned, they are too gentle at this stage of their lives, so now my living room looks like a tiny rain forrest, the big boy in the ground is live and kicking doesn’t show any sign of stress of any kind and i hope it will make it  it had a good run, 7 months to establish a root system in the ground since may 

I will upload pics soon

• Upvote 2

9 hours ago, Lior_Gal said:

Hello you guys, 

just a short update, i decided to spare my coconut sprouts and untill i will plant them in the ground next spring in placed them indoors all the dwarf acai sprouts took a beat and the leafs are partly burned, they are too gentle at this stage of their lives, so now my living room looks like a tiny rain forrest, the big boy in the ground is live and kicking doesn’t show any sign of stress of any kind and i hope it will make it  it had a good run, 7 months to establish a root system in the ground since may 

I will upload pics soon

Lior, what are your temps, currently?

• 1 month later...

Some additional coconut palms in Eilat.

The small one is in the Dolphin reef. There are some other small ones there as well. 

The tall one is supposedly 15-20 years old, came from Thailand and found in the botanical garden. It has given fruit according to the staff.

No protection is given to any of them.

156670670_Image2018-10-052.jpeg.c794c2ee89e63101af269c58b008eecb.jpeg

1608543325_Image2018-10-051.jpeg.81832a67bd8b7ad972ed259aee647a8b.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

I also agree with the 1st photo that is ravenea. When is grown well it has some coconut look. The second must be the tallest cocos is Israel.

4 hours ago, Stelios said:

I also agree with the 1st photo that is ravenea. When is grown well it has some coconut look. The second must be the tallest cocos is Israel.

Yes, it fooled me :huh:, grows in prime Ravenea habitat, roots soaked in water.

There was actually a taller coconut in Ein Gedi (near the dead sea) some 15 years ago, don't know whether its still alive.

• Like 1

• 7 months later...

Latitude of Eliat is 29.8155 degrees North. Not a record but I have not heard too much lately about the LaQuinta, Ca. coconut. Still looking for a picture of Port Elizabeth, SA. Anything close to 34 N anywhere in this world?

What you look for is what is looking

3 minutes ago, bubba said:

Latitude of Eliat is 29.8155 degrees North. Not a record but I have not heard too much lately about the LaQuinta, Ca. coconut. Still looking for a picture of Port Elizabeth, SA. Anything close to 34 N anywhere in this world?

32.7 work?

15701523573312878543676399664273.jpg

• Like 4

Agree, 29th latitude is not especially peculiar for a coconut but I do think the size and age of these cocos is more rare and some indication about the stability of the climate. The Ein-Gedi coco pictured above is at least 30 perhaps 40 years old as far as I know.