IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Coconut Madness In ISRAEL !!!

lioril

My Name is Lior Gal, It's nice meeting you all,

And I'm a Coconut Palm Addict, It first started a few years ago,

While iv'e been in the U.S. for a short visit, Then i saw this beautiful

palm and i was blown away by its appearence, Then the thaught of

growing one of my own started to "Bugg" me, Then the rational thinking

took over ... (it said..you will never manage to keep it alive) but then

after 2 years of thinking about it, My stubborn nature took over, And

I decided to go for it, what started as 2 coconut nuts, that i got from

a friend, from them i sprouted 2 small coconut palms, became 8 sprouts

I have 2 Samoan Dwarfs, 3 Hawaiian Tall Sprouts, and the 2 Big ones

that i have no clue what they are...(maybe you can help me with that) So

now i assume im the largest coconut tree grower in Israel, Since i know

only about 2 others that has one or 2 sprouts at home...

I got them indoors for the winter, Eventhough in the center of israel

withers aren't rough, But it can be cold out here and frosty every once

in a while so i didn't want to take any chance, I would like to get

a few tips how to take care of them indoors during wither time

for now they look fine, but i'd love to get an opionon from you guys

Cheers,

Lior.

post-11179-0-41219100-1416335115_thumb.j

post-11179-0-38375300-1416335125_thumb.j

post-11179-0-12648800-1416335131_thumb.j

post-11179-0-36637000-1416335206_thumb.j

post-11179-0-08349300-1416335217_thumb.j

post-11179-0-19117400-1416335223_thumb.j

post-11179-0-29546200-1416335238_thumb.j

post-11179-0-07041700-1416335253_thumb.j

post-11179-0-30340600-1416335409_thumb.j

post-11179-0-09235700-1416335419_thumb.j

• Upvote 4

Lior, Good luck with your crop, they all look quite healthy. The only advice I can give for growing indoors is to keep an eye out for mites under the leaves & make sure they get plenty of sunlight. I'm sure others here will have better advice than me. What is the low temperature where you are? Welcome to palm talk.

-Randy

"If you need me, I'll be outside" -Randy Wiesner Palm Beach County, Florida Zone 10Bish

Hi Lior!

Good to meet you. You have come to the right place!

Where, exactly, in Israel are you?

A lot will depend on your micro-climate, though I'm sure you already know that even better than we do.

I've never heard of a coconut growing indoors; not enough light. They really want to be outside. If you're by the Dead Sea, it might stay warm enough through the winter for them to grow well outdoors.

Try and see? Or, you've already tried?

Let us know.

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

Welcome to PalmTalk, Lior. Your sprouted coconuts are looking fantastic, and they are so cute at that stage. :) The only thing I know about keeping coconuts indoors for winter is you must be careful not to overwater. But those with more experience here are bound to offer enthusiastic responses, you'll see. You have come to the right place for palm information -- even palm overload. :)

Kim Cyr

Between the beach and the bays, Point Loma, San Diego, California USA
and on a 300 year-old lava flow, Pahoa, Hawaii, 1/4 mile from the 2018 flow
All characters  in this work are fictitious. Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental.

Lior - Once again welcome to Palm Talk. Your Coconuts look flawless, you definitely got them cranking. Eventually you will have to get them in the ground. If space is a concern, keep the Samoan dwarfs (also known as Fiji dwarf) since they are not a very common cultivar.

Coral Gables, FL 8 miles North of Fairchild USDA Zone 10B

Well I guess when you plant them in the ground and put a polytunnel over it for the wintermonths with a bit of extra heating then you can get nice specimems. Especially when you are in places like Tel Aviv with a mostely warm sunny climate!

Alexander

Lior, welcome to PT. Here in Cyprus I have 1 dwarf variety which I had in a pot for a couple of years. I had it in a deep pot to give it space for the roots to grow and it was planted in almost full beach sand. I kept the pot outside during the winter months cause it was big but I had it protected from cold wind and rain. I tried not to water a lot in the winter. I only let it get a bit of rainwater rarely. Here in Cyprus we have many warm days in the winter like Israel so the place of the palm had full sun for almost all day. The black pot helped the roots to be warm even in the winter. On very few occasions I covered the fronts from the cold less than 6C (very rarely). Eventually I knew that to leave it in the pot it would die someday so I planted it in the ground in full beach sand. This year will be it's 3rd winter in the ground. I will soon put something to protect it from cold wind from the side of the hills and to cover a bit from the rain (even though the soil got a bit wet the previews winters, the sand and the sunny winter days help it to dry quickly). I don't totally cover it, just on the top since it's still small and the two sides and no extra heating like heating cables. It's about 1.7m over-all height but in our climate it will grow slowly so hopefully I can protect it more years.

Stelios

Hello Dear Randy,

Thank you for you Reply, I do my best to make my palms and sprouts Happy.

Since i've read that they like Low pH in their soil, I baught Peat moss and mixed

about half of their pot with it and the other half regular rich potting soil, I haven't

added beach sand, Maybe i'll do that when i'll Remove them to bigger pots next

year, I also Placed small stones at the bottom of the pots for a good drainage.

About Mites, I had no idea that Mites could infect Palms, But I do a Daily Check

for insects and Parasites, So i haven't seen Mites so far.

I do let them be next to my windows with full sun During Daytime, In Israel we have

about 10 hours of Daylight during the winter times...So far they look fine.

I live in Tel-Aviv, Which is in the Center of Israel, The Temperatures here usually don't

Drop below 12-15c during the winter, here and there we can get short frosts and nights

that are below 5c but it's not a frequent thing, Humidity during winter times is about 50-60%

During summer time the climate here is much like tropical Climate, the temps are around 30-27c

and Humidity is about 65-55%, During Spring times i do take my palms outdoors and they

Love it, The start to grow rapidly.

Thank you for your tips Randy I appriciate your Help

Cheers,

Lior.

Hello Dave,

It's nice meeting you too, If you are prepering yourself to dooms Day apocalipse...

I can be your guide :yay:, If talking Palm Wise, I'm sure that i'm in the right place indeed.

I live in Tel-Aviv, I have a very good micro Climate in my yard, I live in the City, so its much

warmer and much more humid at winter times compare to others places in the Center of Israel.

I would like to ask you a bit about Hardiness Zones....I have no idea in which zone Israel is Considered to

be, I havne't found information about that online as well, Maybe you can help me to figure that one out.

the Dead Sea is not in my area, It's on the southern part of Israel, I heard about one palm that is fully grown

and was Braught from Thailand as a Sprout and planted on the Dolphin Reef in Kibbutz Eylot, I really want

to see it in my own eyes someday, I know that Humidity in the south isn't enough for Coconut Palms to Thrive

but maybe the Proximity of this palm to the Dolphin Reef Provides it the Humidity in needs to Sustain itself.

I want to say, That I only Keep my Coco Palms Indoors for the winter, With full light, During Spring time

I place them outside in my yard and they love it, They Start to grow dramaticly when the warm weather

and Humidity levels increse.

Thank you so much Dave

I really appriciate your assistance,

Best Regards,

Lior.

Hello Dear Kim,

Thank you for your Compliments, I do my best to Keep my Coco Palms in their top game...

I do think they are cute at the sprouting Stange as well, and yet, They are much more vulnerable

at these times, So i do wish for them to grow and get stronger as fast as possible :).

I also make sure not to water them too much, Since they don't loose water while beeing indoors

I water them once a week and the peat moss absorbing them and keep it moist for a long time.

Thank you for your Help,

I appiriciate it a lot,

Best regards,

Lior.

Hello Moose,

It's nice meeting you too, and thanks for your Compliments.

I do know that someday they will have to be planted in the ground,

I've read that the best planting size of Coco Palms should be when

they reach 2 meters high, Mine are still small, I'll have to wait another

2 years i guess in order to get them all ready for planting.

I do have a space problem, But after all the work and effort to get my

Coco Palms, I ain't gonna give up on them so quickly, I do love the

Dwarfs thats why i got 2 of them as well...I know they aren't so Common

In Israel, any type of Coco Plam is Rare, As i said, We only have here

2-3 people that grow one or two sprouts and one old Coco Palm that

somone planted in the Dolphin reef (Kibbutz Eylot) in the southern part of israel.

Thank you for your help,

I appriciate it,

Cheers

Lior.

• Upvote 1

Hello Alexander,

Unfortunately, I have no extra room in my yard to place Polytunnel over it, thats why i keep it indoors for

the winter months as long as i can, Soon they will be too big to be removed Indoors and outside over and

over again....So i will have to think about a solution.

I do Live in Tel-Aviv, I think it's the best place to grow Cocopalms in Israel, Since the weather is Coco Friendly

for most times of year.

Thank's for your Help

Best Regards,

Lior.

Hello There Stelios,

It's nice to meet you, It seems like i found a "Next Door Neighbor" :winkie:

It's good to know that you manage to grow Coco Palm In Cyprus...

I have Samoan Dwarfs as well, The reason that i got them, Since i've heard

that they are more Winter Hardy then the other Coco Palm Species, Did you heard about it ?

Yeah I know that Cyprus has a pritty warm wather in Winter times....Same as we have here

which helps us to keep these Palms alive. It Sure dose make it more Vulnerable in the ground

I guess, At least untill it has larger and deeper Root System..I would Consider Heating Cables

just in case...Here temperatures won't usually drop below 12-14c during the winter but still

there are days that may get to 6-5c....I think that it's totally normal for it to grow slower in our

Climate, even though my first 2 Coco Palms where small tiney sprouts in the last spring and

During the Spring and summer time they grown very rapidly from 20 Cm to about 90 cm tall

which is a fair growth rate for one season i assume...If it will happen again this spring it will

be awesome.

Thanks for your tips my friend,

It's great to know you, and keep in touch

I would love to see picture of your Coco Palm If possible

Im Curious to see how it looks like in the ground...

Best Regards,

Lior.

Edited by lioril

Hai Lior; here in Holland I have tried to cultivate Cocos nucifera several times. I got my just sprouted palms from a commercial grower here in the Netherlands. I got palms from him with yellow petioles, because commercially he was obliged to produce only green palms, hence, coloured palms are being thrown away. And guess what, in my opinion the colourful palms are the more beautiful ones. See attached photo. Last spring I finally gave up cultivating these palms because this cultivating appeared to be one long lasting battle against spidermites. So, at last and with pain in my heart, I put them into the dustbin. :crying: I wish you more luck, also because you can keep your's out in the garden much longer then I can do here in Holland. Overhere, that cannot be done much longer than 3 months, June, July and August; the other months are just too cold!

Wim.

post-5270-0-89090600-1416407200_thumb.jp

Hello Wim,

It's Nice meeting you, I've been in Holland in the Past, I remember how cold it was over there,

Definitely, Holland it's not the right Place for Coconut Palms, The winter is too hard for them

to Survive. I'm sorry for your bad expiriance, But Hey....at least you gave it a shot !

Here In Israel, I think that small Palms can survive the winter outside since its not that cold

in the Center of Israel, It's Usually as i said about 12-14c ... It's rare for the temperature to drop

around 5-6c, Also during winter times here, we have full sun almost every day...So it helps the

Coco Palms to Handle it well. I belive that in the next 2 years i will plant some of them outdoors.

Take Care,

Cheers,

Lior.

Nice to see you posting Lioril. Welcome to PT. Your palms look terrific. All that new growth is exciting and you definitely are making them happy. Thought I'd mention that you have a fairly new fellow palmtalk guy in your city. He has quite a nice collection of palms growing. Don't recall his name right now but thought it worth mentioning if you want to do a forum search.

So what part of the U.S. did you visit that got you inspired?

Zone 9b (formerly listed as Zone 9a); Sunset 14

Hello Lior,

Welcome, I am also a coconut palm addict, and am blessed to live in SW Florida where I can grow them. Your palms look great, keep up the good work! I see you are from Israel, I would love to visit your country one day.

Shalom!

Lived in Cape Coral, Miami, Orlando and St. Petersburg Florida.

Hello Dave,

It's nice meeting you too, If you are prepering yourself to dooms Day apocalipse...

I can be your guide :yay:, If talking Palm Wise, I'm sure that i'm in the right place indeed.

I live in Tel-Aviv, I have a very good micro Climate in my yard, I live in the City, so its much

warmer and much more humid at winter times compare to others places in the Center of Israel.

I would like to ask you a bit about Hardiness Zones....I have no idea in which zone Israel is Considered to

be, I havne't found information about that online as well, Maybe you can help me to figure that one out.

the Dead Sea is not in my area, It's on the southern part of Israel, I heard about one palm that is fully grown

and was Braught from Thailand as a Sprout and planted on the Dolphin Reef in Kibbutz Eylot, I really want

to see it in my own eyes someday, I know that Humidity in the south isn't enough for Coconut Palms to Thrive

but maybe the Proximity of this palm to the Dolphin Reef Provides it the Humidity in needs to Sustain itself.

I want to say, That I only Keep my Coco Palms Indoors for the winter, With full light, During Spring time

I place them outside in my yard and they love it, They Start to grow dramaticly when the warm weather

and Humidity levels increse.

Thank you so much Dave

I really appriciate your assistance,

Best Regards,

Lior.

Since you're in Tel-Aviv, looks like you don't really experience freezing temps much if at all. Your January mean temperature is 55 degrees F (12.8 C). That's shy of the generally accepted threshold of 60 degrees F (15.6 C) for coconut survival. The time duration under the threshold is lengthy also, with average temps not pulling out of it until about April. So growing a coconut outside would be difficult, but it might also be fun, maybe you can find creative ways of bridging that temperature gap in those months if you decide to give it a go outside.

Corpus Christi, TX, near salt water, zone 9b/10a! Except when it isn't and everything gets nuked.

Hello There Stelios,

It's nice to meet you, It seems like i found a "Next Door Neighbor" :winkie:

It's good to know that you manage to grow Coco Palm In Cyprus...

I have Samoan Dwarfs as well, The reason that i got them, Since i've heard

that they are more Winter Hardy then the other Coco Palm Species, Did you heard about it ?

Yeah I know that Cyprus has a pritty warm wather in Winter times....Same as we have here

which helps us to keep these Palms alive. It Sure dose make it more Vulnerable in the ground

I guess, At least untill it has larger and deeper Root System..I would Consider Heating Cables

just in case...Here temperatures won't usually drop below 12-14c during the winter but still

there are days that may get to 6-5c....I think that it's totally normal for it to grow slower in our

Climate, even though my first 2 Coco Palms where small tiney sprouts in the last spring and

During the Spring and summer time they grown very rapidly from 20 Cm to about 90 cm tall

which is a fair growth rate for one season i assume...If it will happen again this spring it will

be awesome.

Thanks for your tips my friend,

It's great to know you, and keep in touch

I would love to see picture of your Coco Palm If possible

Im Curious to see how it looks like in the ground...

Best Regards,

Lior.

Hi Lior!

It's also good to meet a palm addict from the "neighborhood". It's not one of the easiest palm to grow in our climate but it's always good to see people with good results like you. Your palms look amazing and I hope you can keep them growing for many years and even grow some in the ground. My palm must be a Malayan dwarf which is not the most cold hardy as I learned. I think the varieties which you have are more cold hardy but here in Cyprus is difficult to find access to many palm species. Maybe in Israel you have better options. Keep posting here at PT and we can learn many things from here. Soon I will post a photo how I'll protect the palm for the winter. I hope you find some of my experience useful.

Stelios

Hello Dear Debbie,

It's Nice to meet you as well and your Compliments are Highly appreciated, Thank you :winkie:

I'm doing my best to keep My Coco Palms happy, I love these palms as if they where pets ... LOL.

I assume it's Ohad, He is my friend, We knew eachother on Israeli Forum about Plants .... He also

Introduced me to this Forum, I appriciate you mentioning that :) He sure dose have lots of palms

He is a serious fellow and much more proffessional them myself.

The first time that I saw a Coco Palms was in my visit at Sunset Beach, Florida, I was amazed by their

elegant look, and they whole experience of the trees and the sea shore...was amazing... Every time i think

of Coco Palms it's relaxing me...I imagine the beach in my mind and this beautiful shore...that was my trigger

to start growing Coco Palms.

It is a plesure to know you (-:

Have an awesome weekend

Cheers,

Lior.

Hello Randy,

It's Nice meeting you too, I always like to know new Coco Palm Addicts ...

Makes me feel more sane LOL .... :yay: You are living in a great location for

Growing Coco Palms Indeed, I wish that the Climate in Tel-Aviv was a bit

warmer then it would have been perfect to grow CocoPalms here with no

Problem, Eventhough most of year....the weather is great.

Thank you for the kind words, I appriciate it, I am from Israel,

It's a wonderful place for a visit, I have many friends From the U.S.

Some of them came over for a vacation, They are coming back every few years

(-: In case you will drop by , you are welcome to pay me a visit and see my Palms

I can also show you around ... Israel it's a tiney place :)

Shalom My friend,

Take care, and have a great weekend

Lior.

Edited by lioril

Hello Ammon,

I Appriciate all the information that you gave me,

I know that growing Coco Palms Outdoors in Israel might be a little bit problematic

But the weather ain't too bad, So i think if i will let the palms to Adapt to a bit colder

weather during the winter step by step, It might work out, If heating cables will be needed

I will consider using them as well.

Having a coco Palm in my yard it's one of my Dreams, I will make it Happen im sure,

With lots of Caring and patience

Thanks a lot for your assistance,

Best Regards,

Lior.

Hello There Stelios,

For sure, If you will be in israel by any chance, Drop by and pay me a visit

I'd love to do the same thing while coming to Cyprus :).

And thank you so much for your Compliments, I do appreciate it a lot.

My ultimate goal is to grow them in the ground, I hope they will make it

and survive the winter, I will consider using heating cables if needed,

it was comforting to know that you don't use heating cables and even

without them your palm is doing well...I don't know much about Malayan Dwarfs

But i will read about it .... I love learining stuff about my hobbies....

In Israel it's Impossible to purchase coconut Palms in stores, they don't

sell or import them since its too complicated to grow them....so if you

are Israeli and you want Coco Palms of your own, You will have to find your

way to get your hands on them, thats what i did....

I will keep Posting and keep you all informed about their growth and the Progress

I will post pictures every once in a while for you to enjoy.

I wish you luck with your Coco Palm and I can't wait to see it in picture...

Thank you for everything my friend,

Have a wondeful day

Cheers,

Lior.

Hi Lior!

Thanks for the invitation to Israel. You are also very welcome here in Cyprus too. Yesterday I started to construct the temporary protection for the coconut palm. As you will see at the photos I covered the two sides where the cool breeze is coming now in the winter from the hills. The other two sides will be open for the winter sun to warm the palm. Also my house protects the palm from one side. The sand warms the roots very good in the winter. In the future my purpose is the create more protection from the hills by growing more trees and plants to block the cool breeze. In the future I could use the papaya and guava tree trunks to tie the nylon on them for the palm protection instead to make this construction. Soon I will also cover the top when the temps drops and the rain is more. I hope you find this useful with your palms.

Stelios

post-9419-0-60931700-1416553573_thumb.jp

post-9419-0-63168500-1416553611_thumb.jp

post-9419-0-99056500-1416553866_thumb.jp

post-9419-0-98127300-1416553967_thumb.jp

Stelios, also from my side thanks a lot for your description and photos, very interesting to keep the palms alive with a minimum of winter protection.

On which height above sea level is your garden situated?

cheers

nick

USDA 10b - 19.1°C/ 66.4°F 24hr average/ year

sunshine: 3.400 hrs year.

Precipitation: 380mm/ 15 inches/ year.

Stelios, also from my side thanks a lot for your description and photos, very interesting to keep the palms alive with a minimum of winter protection.

On which height above sea level is your garden situated?

cheers

nick

Hi NIck

My garden is about 300 feet above sea level near Geroskipou in Paphos district. I would say about 3 miles from the sea. The hills in the area also give protection in the winter when there is more snow on the top of Troodos mountains. Generally Paphos has more mild climate with humidity all year round than the rest of the island. I believe is very similar with Israel. If you are also in Paphos district you can see that people start slowly to use more tropical plants here. This is the only plant which I protect in the winter but I don't want to put very big effort for it. I just wanted to make this experiment and see how it goes.

Stelios

Hi Lior and welcome to the forums. Your cocos look really nice I look forward to seeing their progress through the years:).

Stelios your coconut looks great is it a golden dwarf? I hope the winter protection is enough for many years to come!

Hi Lior and welcome to the forums. Your cocos look really nice I look forward to seeing their progress through the years:).

Stelios your coconut looks great is it a golden dwarf? I hope the winter protection is enough for many years to come!

Hi Cluster

Thanks for the good comments. Yes, I think is golden Malay dwarf. I hope that it will grow for many years too.

Stelios

@ Stelios

want not to hihjack this thread. Good to know, that your soil needs no extra heating during the winter, if only some other plants make sure some protection against northern winds. If this works there should be other sheltered spots in Paphos to try without any extra protection.

@ Lior

nice ant tiny palms you have. Worth to release them into the wild. Go for it and please keep us informed.

nick

Edited by nick

USDA 10b - 19.1°C/ 66.4°F 24hr average/ year

sunshine: 3.400 hrs year.

Precipitation: 380mm/ 15 inches/ year.

Hello Lior, I too am a Coconut palm addict.

It is so cool to hear from you here in Palmtalk.

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

Hello Setlios,

Great pictures, Your Coco Palm Looks good, It dose have some cold burns here and there,

I assume that cold wind gusts may cause it, I had it on one of my Samoan Dwarf Sprouts...

That was my "Sign" to get them indoors till Mid March / April ....I would recommand that the protection

will be Nailed to the ground, Since it can fly away with strong winds, Also, Maybe you should consinder

Covering it with Fiberglass, It will provide full protection from Rain and Cold and it will become like a small

GreenHouse...I think that your idea to grow some other plants as coverage may be successful, And It will

sure help your palm survive the cold gusts of winds, So it will get much less cold burns during winter times.

I saw that you have Papayas in your garden, Love that tree.... I have Pink Guyavas from Thailand i need to Sow

the seeds soon... Haven't done that yet, I also Have Tropical Mangosteen Seeds Germinating in my house

And one Mangosteen Tree outside, I saw that it's leafes got a few cold burns but i think it's much less "Spoiled"

compared to Coco Palms....I'm not gonna Protect it during the winter what so ever, Only if it will start to show

Major stress signes...

Thank you for your Tips my friend,

I appriciate that a lot,

Cheers,

Lior.

Edited by lioril

Hello There Nick,

It's nice meeting you too, I wish i could just plant them outside and let them

Grow, But here in Israel it's ain't that simple, I will need to take care of them

very well in order to keep them alive out here during winter time...

I will keep you guys informed and take a pictures evey once in a while to show

you how my Coco Palms And Sprouts doing...

Have a great weekend,

Cheers,

Lior.

Hello John,

It's great to meet another Coconut Palm Addict... :winkie:

Actually i started with 2 palms, after a few months i Had 8...

And the funny thing is that you can't get them in Israel...

I had to make lots of efforts to get Coco Seeds of Several

Breeds of Coconut Palms, But finally i got them and as you

see they are alive and kicking .... :mrlooney: Just when i thought

that i have enough Cocopalms already... I started to read

about the Fiji Red Coconut Dwarf, And Guess what...

I want it as well.... :drool: I just hope that my family won't throw me

away from my house after figuring out that i'm gonna get

another Coco Palm...Since i got them all indoors now

My living room started to look like a tropical rain forest :floor:

If you are growing Coconut Palms, I'd love to see some

pictures of your Palms, If possible

Have an awesome weekend Dude,

Take care.

Hi Lior

Thank you for your good comments. The protection which I give to this palm is well fixed and so far I never had any problem with the wind to blow it away. It's generally not a very windy place here. As for the minor damage is mostly on the oldest front which is normal that at some point it will dry. It's also like an experiment to try to push it to be less sensitive. We'll see what happens. If this one will die and I still want to grow one again, I might make some better and permanent greenhouse to be protected. There I might try some other cold sensitive palms. Even though I like this coconut I'm becoming more addicted to other beautiful palms too especially that can grow outside without protection. For the moment I can't bring anything inside the house because of my youngest daughter who already destroyed 1 chamaedorea geonomiformis! As for the fruit trees papaya is by far the fastest plant I ever had. This big one grew the year I planted it from 30 cm to 180 cm till the end of the summer and had fruits on it. I grew a lot this summer and 1 since germinated in July is in the ground about 90 cm tall now and already has flowers. Other fruit trees in my garden (all still small) are mango, guava, longan, loquat, lychee, annona squamosa, pitaya and avocato. If you can grow Mangosteen for sure you can grow all these and much more. I know there is a variety of fruit production in Israel.

I'm very impressed how you are trying to grow the most unusual varieties of cocos. Is good to see people addicted to palms and I hope more from our area and other parts of the Mediterranean to try coconut palms. In Europe we have only Canary and Madeira growing them but it would be good to see people try in Malta, Ibiza and southern Greek islands. What about Eilat. What are the possibilities to grow coconuts there? I think they have a chance in the winter in Eilat. It will be interesting to see if you have any photos. There might be another good micro-climate somewhere in Israel.

Stelios

Edited by Stelios

Hey Stelios,

Very nice job!! your palm look amazing.

I live in Israel too. I'm into other palms, like areca catechu/vestiaria/guppyana/macrocalyx etc..

Right now their still seedlings but It's gonna be a challange to try and make them grow here with little help as possible..

About Eilat. the humidity over ther very low, something like 15-40% so I dont think coco palm can make it there unless it's right on the beach..

Ohad

• Upvote 1

Hi Stelios,

You welcome, I love Your Coconut Palm, I know you are taking a good care of it, If it's still alive after 3 seasons

In the ground I'm totally optimistic that you will anjoy it's beauty for many years to come.....I will like to let my coconuts

be Less sensative as well, But first they need to grow a little bit before i will be able to Challenge them.

My Friend Ohad, From Israel, Which is also a Palm Talk Member, Has many types of amazing Palms..

Your Papayas are amazing as well, I also want to plant Longan, How sensative are they ? ...I have

Annona Muricatta, It's still small but it seems like it can handle the winter here pritty well...

My Mangosteen Is still a small tree, But we'll see... I also have a few Mangosteen seeds Greminating

as we speek, They Look great.

Yeah, Israel is a leading country in agriculture and in export of fruits and veggies to many

countries all over the world.

I love the different varieties of Coconut Palms, Every single one is different and has a unique Beauty

I also try to encourage other people in israel that loves plants in Israeli gardening forum to grow Coconuts

you know how it works.... when you see your neighbor grows something, you start to think about it also ...

I agree with you on that one. I talked about Eilat earlier in this discussion, Eilat it's not as humid as it is

In the Costal Area, But there is one big advantage in Eilat that the temperatures over there don't drop

too steeply during the winter, and it's stays around 16-20c, Which is fine for Coconuts, And i know about

One Mature Coconut Palm that is Grown in the Dolphin Reef in Kibbutz Eilot...I think that it's Proximity to

water keeps humidity levels in a fair ratio for it to sustain itself, But haven't heard that it ever Produced

Fruits in the past....

I want to go to eilat just to see this Tree, Israel it's a tiney place, I do travel around a lot, Its only about 2.5

hours from my place, I will take a break sometime soon and get some photos of that Coconut palm...

There might be another good micro-climate somewhere in Israel for sure, I'm trying to figure out where exactly...

Have a great week my Friend,

Cheers,

Lior.

• Upvote 1

Hey Stelios,

Very nice job!! your palm look amazing.

I live in Israel too. I'm into other palms, like areca catechu/vestiaria/guppyana/macrocalyx etc..

Right now their still seedlings but It's gonna be a challange to try and make them grow here with little help as possible..

About Eilat. the humidity over ther very low, something like 15-40% so I dont think coco palm can make it there unless it's right on the beach..

Ohad

Hi Ohad

Thank you for good comments. The palms you are trying to grow are some the most amazing. I wish you can grow them without a lot of trouble and keep posting here in PT. I would be also interested to try some of these and other beautiful palms in the future.

Stelios

Hi Stelios,

You welcome, I love Your Coconut Palm, I know you are taking a good care of it, If it's still alive after 3 seasons

In the ground I'm totally optimistic that you will anjoy it's beauty for many years to come.....I will like to let my coconuts

be Less sensative as well, But first they need to grow a little bit before i will be able to Challenge them.

My Friend Ohad, From Israel, Which is also a Palm Talk Member, Has many types of amazing Palms..

Your Papayas are amazing as well, I also want to plant Longan, How sensative are they ? ...I have

Annona Muricatta, It's still small but it seems like it can handle the winter here pritty well...

My Mangosteen Is still a small tree, But we'll see... I also have a few Mangosteen seeds Greminating

as we speek, They Look great.

Yeah, Israel is a leading country in agriculture and in export of fruits and veggies to many

countries all over the world.

I love the different varieties of Coconut Palms, Every single one is different and has a unique Beauty

I also try to encourage other people in israel that loves plants in Israeli gardening forum to grow Coconuts

you know how it works.... when you see your neighbor grows something, you start to think about it also ...

I agree with you on that one. I talked about Eilat earlier in this discussion, Eilat it's not as humid as it is

In the Costal Area, But there is one big advantage in Eilat that the temperatures over there don't drop

too steeply during the winter, and it's stays around 16-20c, Which is fine for Coconuts, And i know about

One Mature Coconut Palm that is Grown in the Dolphin Reef in Kibbutz Eilot...I think that it's Proximity to

water keeps humidity levels in a fair ratio for it to sustain itself, But haven't heard that it ever Produced

Fruits in the past....

I want to go to eilat just to see this Tree, Israel it's a tiney place, I do travel around a lot, Its only about 2.5

hours from my place, I will take a break sometime soon and get some photos of that Coconut palm...

There might be another good micro-climate somewhere in Israel for sure, I'm trying to figure out where exactly...

Have a great week my Friend,

Cheers,

Lior.

Hi Lior

I agree with you. It's better to give your palms protection when they are small until they become bigger. It's good that you grow different varieties. Like this you can see which one will be the strongest. It will be interesting to see them growing and post photos for us here in PT.

As for the Longan so far is a bit slow and the leaves get a bit damaged in the winter out in the open yard. But the one in the ground is growing faster than the the ones in the pots, and this summer I gave more water to all the plants and this one grew bigger. It's still small so no fruits yet.

Can't wait to see photos from the cocos in Kibbutz Eilot.

Stelios

Hi Selios,

Yeah, Thats why they are Indoors, I don't know whats going on in Cyprus

these days but here we have a huge thunderstorms and wind storms with

lots of rain, it's about 12c here, I wouldn't what to push it to the limit with

young Coconut Palms, they are Indoors for almost 2.5 weeks, Some of them

even kept on growing new leafs, Which is great, Eventhough they are very

small ones unlike the ones that they grew when they where outside last summer.

But as long as they keep looking good and keep on growing i am Happy.

I promise to keep you updated and to take new pictures soon !

One of the reasons why i grow different varieties of Coco Palms is to figure out

who is the strongest, Eventhough from what ive read the Strongest should be the

Samoan Dwarf, We'll See about that later on ....I decided to put my hands on

another 2 different varieties Fiji Red Dwarf and Florida yellow coconut palms.

I have 2 different Lychi Varieties, one of them is Tropical Pulasan 'Sibabat'

it's only a Sprout but it looks good eventhough its outside, I also have tropical

Banana plant, I still have no idea if it will make it to spring but it looks fine as

well for now, It's blue Java. I'd love to see your Longan...it must be a beauty.

When i'll be in the south, I'm gonna pay a close visit to the Coconut in

Kibbutz Eilot, If i'll see it I will take come pictures for sure.

Have a great day my friend,

Cheers.

Edited by lioril
  • Upvote 1