IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

constructing new greenhouse, etc.

elHoagie

Looks like they work

post-74-1182791746_thumb.jpg

Jack Sayers

East Los Angeles

growing cold tolerant palms halfway between the equator and the arctic circle...

A closeup of a sprinkler head

post-74-1182791839_thumb.jpg

Jack Sayers

East Los Angeles

growing cold tolerant palms halfway between the equator and the arctic circle...

Last picture, time for a beer.  Unlike MattyB, I'm extremely skinny, so I need to keep my shirt on for these pics...

post-74-1182791995_thumb.jpg

Jack Sayers

East Los Angeles

(pohonkelapa @ Jun. 25 2007,13:11)

looks like a meth lab,to me.

Yea,......and did'nt you get your master's in chemistry?

Jeff

Nicely built, Jack, your probably already wishing it was bigger.

Jeff

Searle Brothers Nursery Inc.

and The Rainforest Collection.

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

(pohonkelapa @ Jun. 25 2007,09:53)

looks great,jack!how many sq.feet?

Paul,

It's 16 feet long and about 7 feet wide, so about 110 sqft.

Jack Sayers

East Los Angeles

(MattyB @ Jun. 25 2007,10:03)

Whoah!  That's top rate dude!  Can't wait to see more pics.  If you have squirrels, screen your low vent.  When the dogs are sleeping they'll sneek by eat your seeds.  Little bastards!

Thanks Matty.  Yeah, I was thinking of covering all the vents, probably just with some shade cloth.  Or will they chew through that?

Jack Sayers

East Los Angeles

(Jeff Searle @ Jun. 25 2007,10:20)

(pohonkelapa @ Jun. 25 2007,13:11)

looks like a meth lab,to me.

Yea,......and did'nt you get your master's in chemistry?

Jeff

Nicely built, Jack, your probably already wishing it was bigger.

Jeff

Well, I haven't moved all my plants in yet, so it's still big enough.  But, I'm sure it will be completely filled soon.

By the way, the meth lab is in the house you morons.  The greenhouse is strictly for growing pot.  "Make my blunt the chronic, I got's to get f*$%ed up.." :D  :D  :D  :D

Just kidding, in case we have any members who work for the DEA....

Jack Sayers

East Los Angeles

(elHoagie @ Jun. 25 2007,13:19)

Last picture, time for a beer.  Unlike MattyB, I'm extremely skinny, so I need to keep my shirt on for these pics...

Jack!

Your greenhouse is small, but I know it will be the best-loved greenhouse in Los Angeles!  Very nice!  It was worth the trouble it took to shoehorn it into the space you have.

I know exactly where your house is!  It's right next to the Chinese Fairy Castle (because a large Chinese family lived there back when I lived in that 'hood, almost five years ago --EEK! time flies . . . .)  Used to see that place from Big-H drive, and ride my bike past it.

Do the Chinese people still live there?  (Just curious.  They used to cook the best-smelling food there . . . .)

Wow, if my memory serves you have a PRECIPITOUSLY steep backyard.  You, Matty and Dave Minks might spawn a race of Mountain Goat People, bounding up and down those steep hills . . . .

More pictures . . .

dave

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

(elHoagie @ Jun. 25 2007,10:26)

By the way, the meth lab is in the house you morons.  

Also just kidding about the morons part :) , hope no one was offended...

Jack Sayers

East Los Angeles

(Dave from So-Cal @ Jun. 25 2007,11:23)

(elHoagie @ Jun. 25 2007,13:19)

Jack!

Your greenhouse is small, but I know it will be the best-loved greenhouse in Los Angeles!  Very nice!  It was worth the trouble it took to shoehorn it into the space you have.

I know exactly where your house is!  It's right next to the Chinese Fairy Castle (because a large Chinese family lived there back when I lived in that 'hood, almost five years ago --EEK! time flies . . . .)  Used to see that place from Big-H drive, and ride my bike past it.

Do the Chinese people still live there?  (Just curious.  They used to cook the best-smelling food there . . . .)

Wow, if my memory serves you have a PRECIPITOUSLY steep backyard.  You, Matty and Dave Minks might spawn a race of Mountain Goat People, bounding up and down those steep hills . . . .

More pictures . . .

dave

Dave,

Yeah, there's at least 10 Chinese people living in that house.  They fill the entire street with cars....

The slope in my yard is actually pretty gentle compared to most on my street.  That's why my house was one of the first built on the street (1958), because the lot is one of the flattest.  On the other side of the huge house things get scary, almost vertical.

Jack Sayers

East Los Angeles

Fill it up Jack and let's lookey see again thanks.

I'm regretting selling my shade house already.

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

Looks awesome Jack! I'm sure squirrels and rats could chew through pretty much anything they want, but shade cloth would probably be fine (and a necessity across the opening of the roof vents to prevent direct sun exposure).  I think the most important thing is to just not to provide them with an easy entrance.  If it's screened in, they'll probably just go to the path of least resistance which hopefully will be some neighbors fruit tree or something.  They're pretty sketchy (like little meth heads) and won't hang out for a long time trying to figure out a way in.  They'll just make a perimiter run and move on.

"Mmmmm, my favorite.  Peanut butter and crack sandwich"

-Tyrone Biggums

post--1182803265_thumb.jpg

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Spring Valley, CA (8.5 miles inland from San Diego Bay)

10B on the hill (635 ft. elevation)

9B in the canyon (520 ft. elevation)

Wow Jack the Greenhouse turned out better than my store bought greenhouse.  I like the racking, and the way you have the misting set upped......Still have to finish that in mine...Can't wait to see the pic's with it filled with plants (palms not pot).....everybody that comes to my house always asks me if I grow pot in mine.....not

Cypress, Ca.

Jack! Looks great!   But I have one concern, the shelves already have a bit of a bow to them with no weight. Might I suggest a 50 lb bag of "something" (or more) to test before you have a collapse?   Its better now that you don't any "babys" in there.

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

Thanks for all the comments!

I'll try to get some pictures of it with plants inside this week.

BS - yeah, the bow in the shelves is a little worrisome.  I've already put a lot of palms inside, and one of the shelves that has mostly 5 gallon plants on it is noticeably sagging in the middle, it's probably 0.5in low on a 24in span.  But, the aluminum frame for the shelves is extremely stiff, so I'm not worried about it failing.  And the shelving is supposedly tested for 630 pounds of load.  I doubt the plastic shelving will break, but I wish it was stiffer...

Jack Sayers

East Los Angeles

Great job Jack! I you ever want to vacation in New Orleans, just give me a call. I can put you to work on a small project while laHoagie and I tour the town.

Now for a stupid question: Why do you need a greenhouse? What are you growing in Los Angeles that needs to be kept inside in June?

(Kathryn @ Jun. 26 2007,12:44)

Great job Jack! I you ever want to vacation in New Orleans, just give me a call. I can put you to work on a small project while laHoagie and I tour the town.

Now for a stupid question: Why do you need a greenhouse? What are you growing in Los Angeles that needs to be kept inside in June?

Kate,

I'd love to get out to New Orleans some time, but I'm not going to work all day while you and laHoagie party :D

You're right that I really don't need a greenhouse for anything I'm growing until at least November.  That's the main reason it took me four months to build it, because there was no urgent reason it had to be finished.  Still, quite a few small plants died while they were waiting on my deck, because I hate watering by hand and I do a crappy job.  So, at least they have some sprinklers in the greenhouse...

Jack

Jack Sayers

East Los Angeles

Jack, I can't believe you went to all that trouble with the greenhouse.  Surely you realize that when our sun runs out of fuel, the red flare will melt all your polycarbonate!  Just when you get it repaired the Milky Way will collide with the Andromeda galaxy.  God only knows what will happen then!

(Seriously, two thumbs way up for a great project.)

San Francisco, California

Very nice Jack,

Looks like it was designed by an astrophysicist.

animated-volcano-image-0010.gif.71ccc48bfc1ec622a0adca187eabaaa4.gif

Kona, on The Big Island
Hawaii - Land of Volcanoes

Jack - extremely nice job! Looks very professional. The pot, I mean palms, should love it! Glad to see it all finished. You've inspired me to improve my ghetto green house!

What type of sprinkler/mister heads are you using and where did you get them from??

Joe Dombrowski

Discovery Island Palms Nursery

San Marcos, CA

"grow my little palm tree, grow!"

Yeah, Jack I remember the vertical lots on the other side of the Chinese house.

Look over the guard rail -- where there is one -- and there's nothing there, oh, wait, yes there is.  Waaaaaay down there, about forty feet.  Some of those are probably still for sale.  Hmm.  A house for one of those is really a mini-office building.

ddave

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

(elHoagie @ Jun. 26 2007,09:53)

Thanks for all the comments!

I'll try to get some pictures of it with plants inside this week.

BS - yeah, the bow in the shelves is a little worrisome.  I've already put a lot of palms inside, and one of the shelves that has mostly 5 gallon plants on it is noticeably sagging in the middle, it's probably 0.5in low on a 24in span.  But, the aluminum frame for the shelves is extremely stiff, so I'm not worried about it failing.  And the shelving is supposedly tested for 630 pounds of load.  I doubt the plastic shelving will break, but I wish it was stiffer...

Jack,

You might try a cut length of schedule 40 PVC or something like that in the middle of the span.  ???

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

(Joe palma @ Jun. 26 2007,16:04)

Jack - extremely nice job! Looks very professional. The pot, I mean palms, should love it! Glad to see it all finished. You've inspired me to improve my ghetto green house!

What type of sprinkler/mister heads are you using and where did you get them from??

Thanks for the comments!

Joe, the sprinklers are 14 gph spray heads from netafim.  I just ordered them from some online greenhouse supply place.

Bill - good idea on the PVC.  I think at this point I'm done working on this thing for a while, but if the sagging still bothers me in a couple months....

Jack Sayers

East Los Angeles

(Dave from So-Cal @ Jun. 26 2007,16:16)

Yeah, Jack I remember the vertical lots on the other side of the Chinese house.

Look over the guard rail -- where there is one -- and there's nothing there, oh, wait, yes there is.  Waaaaaay down there, about forty feet.  Some of those are probably still for sale.  Hmm.  A house for one of those is really a mini-office building.

ddave

They just built some houses on the bottom of those vertical lots, but they're still vacant at the top on my street.  On the other side of me they've poured the friction pilings for three houses, but I haven't seen anybody working on them since I moved in a few months ago...

You're right, even if you have a one-story house at street level, it's about 4-5 stories tall in the back, so you end up with an office size house.

Jack Sayers

East Los Angeles

Woah Jack!  I haven't been keeping up with the site!  Your greenhouse addition is GREAT!  Good job.  I'm sure it feels good to have the project almost completed...  I too am eager to see it full of palms!  Don't be shy with those photos!!  Lastly Papaver somniferum ??? is much more profitable than lousy Cannabis sativa... don't waste your growing space...  :P

Picture005-2.jpg

(This is NOT and would NEVER be in my garden...)

William, Papaver is a no go in Florida except in cooler winter months.  Also, not a problem law wise in many states.  Also, a tea made from the unrefined flower juice is a far cry from the horse.  

Traditional uses of plants should not be ignored based upon Nancy Reagan's just say No No Song (Ringo Reagan?)

Alan

Tampa, Florida

Zone - 10a

Hey, Jack, have you and Lindsey ever tried that Brazilian eatery over on the south side of Big H Drive, more or less opposite the AM PM Panhandler Boutique?

Drove by there last night, and past my old place, just for fun . . .

dave

(Dave from So-Cal @ Jun. 27 2007,14:53)

Hey, Jack, have you and Lindsey ever tried that Brazilian eatery over on the south side of Big H Drive, more or less opposite the AM PM Panhandler Boutique?

Drove by there last night, and past my old place, just for fun . . .

dave

Yeah, that place is great!  The one painted bright green and yellow?

Jack Sayers

East Los Angeles

• 2 years later...