IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

constructing new greenhouse, etc.

elHoagie

laHoagie and I moved to a new house about three weeks ago now.  Danny Lewis (palmazon) has been nice enough to keep several hundred of our potted palms at his nursery in Gardena during the move, and he still has them while we're getting settled.  I kept all the smaller palms in our greenhouse at the old place until this last weekend, when we had to get them out because the new guy is moving in.  Anyway, we're working hard to build a greenhouse at the new place, but it's taking a while.  Here's a photo of a few of the smaller palms that were in the old greenhouse after moving them to the new house.

post-74-1173979290_thumb.jpg

Jack Sayers

East Los Angeles

growing cold tolerant palms halfway between the equator and the arctic circle...

Another photo of palms after moving them out of the old greenhouse.

post-74-1173979353_thumb.jpg

Jack Sayers

East Los Angeles

growing cold tolerant palms halfway between the equator and the arctic circle...

On Saturday Danny and Herardo (sp?) came over to help us pour a slab for our future greenhouse.  There aren't many level spots at our new place, so we decided to put it under our deck on a flat area between two retaining walls.  Unfortunately we had to carry 4000 pounds of conrete down to the site, because a steep staircase is the only way to access it.  The new greenhouse will be seven feet wide and sixteen feet long.  The slab will support the greenhouse frame, along with a two foot wide bench.  Anyway, here's a picture of me working some of the concrete while Danny looks over.

post-74-1173979622_thumb.jpg

Jack Sayers

East Los Angeles

Here I am shoveling out some excess concrete, with Danny and Herardo in the background.  You can see the slope by the fence line behind them.

post-74-1173979698_thumb.jpg

Jack Sayers

East Los Angeles

Danny donated some extra 1/2" rebar he had lying around for the project, which should be more than enough to prevent cracks for a long time.  Still, Danny came back on Sunday to cut some expansion joints just to be sure.  Here's a view from above this morning (Thursday).

post-74-1173979863_thumb.jpg

Jack Sayers

East Los Angeles

I have about 200 pounds of structural aluminum on the way to build the structure and benches.  It should be arriving tomorrow.  Anyway, I'll continue to post pictures of the progress.

Also, I just realized that I look about 15 years old in the fourth photo ???

Jack Sayers

East Los Angeles

Jack,

Well done! You have a good friend in Danny to help you out,I hope you fed him some lunch,maybe a beer or two. :P  What I did notice was, you have a very good selection of species that your growing. I wish you and the wife all the best in the new house and I hope you will post a few pics. later this summer, maybe when you plant a few palms in the ground. GOOD LUCK!

Jeff

Searle Brothers Nursery Inc.

and The Rainforest Collection.

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

Thanks for the pictures Jack, please do keep us updated.  Maybe it's time to grow the beard back?

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Spring Valley, CA (8.5 miles inland from San Diego Bay)

10B on the hill (635 ft. elevation)

9B in the canyon (520 ft. elevation)

Jack - what an undertaking! I'm sure you're going to love it when it's done. Definitely keep the updates coming!

Scott

San Fernando Valley, California

Sunset Climate Zone 18

It's going to look great Jack.  Please post some photos as the project progresses.

Tampa, Interbay Peninsula, Florida, USA

subtropical USDA Zone 10A

Bokeelia, Pine Island, Florida, USA

subtropical USDA Zone 10B

Congrats on the new house Jack.  Getting set with your palms and moving will seem to be a never ending task, but just hang in there....Looks to be coming along good.  Keep us updated...

OH.....how did you get the wheelbarrels to stop once going down the stairs with all the weight in them???

Cypress, Ca.

Congrats on the new house and garden to be. I bet your itching to get into it?

Noticed you've left a center strip in your concrete. Is this to be filled with loose stone for drainage?

Your using Aloominum for your structure, is it anodized?

And 1 more, what's your plans for covering?

J.

Made the move to Mandurah - West Aust

Kamipalms,
Growing for the future

Well done, Jack. Please post more photos as you progress with the greenhouse project. Cheers, Jan

N48° 19'12.42", E18°06'50.15"

continental climate somewhat moderated by the influence of the mediterranean sea, atlantic ocean and north sea water masses but still prone to arctic blasts from the east as well as hot and dry summers. pushing the limits is exciting.

Thanks for all the comments everyone!

MattyB - I like my new youthful looks, plus laHoagie likes me a LOT better when I shave :cool:

Radpalms - We carried the concrete down the stairs dry in 90 pound bags, then we mixed it with water at the pour site.

Kami - Yeah, I'm dying to start planting here, but I have a lot of other projects to finish first.  I hope I'll get some palms in the ground before the end of summer, but realistically it might not happen until next spring.  On the greenhouse, the center will be filled with gravel for drainage, and the aluminum I ordered is not anodized.  I plan to cover it with opal corrugated polycarbonate, which has about 55% light transmission.

Jack Sayers

East Los Angeles

Jack,

I was looking at earlier posts for the dimensions but didn't see tham... How big are you making this? how high in the center?  Looks great so far.

Bobby

Long Island, New York  Zone 7a (where most of the southern Floridians are originally from)

AVERAGE TEMPS

Summer Highs  : 85-90f/day,  68-75f / night

Winter Lows     : 38-45f/day,   25-35f / night

Extreme Low    : 10-20f/day,    0-10f / night   but VERY RARE

Good luck, Jack!

David

Hollywood Hills West, Los Angeles, CA USA

Southwest facing canyon | Altitude 600 - 775 feet | Decomposing granite
USDA Zone 10b | AHS 6 | Sunset Zone 23 | Köppen Csb | No frost or freezes
Average Low 49 F°/9.4 C° | Average High 79 F°/28.8 C° | Average Rainfall 20"/50.8 cm

• 3 weeks later...

Well, I was in Hawaii for two weeks which slowed the construction down... but I've been working quite a bit during the past week.  I have most of the skeleton complete.  After that I need to build the frames for the benches.  Anyway, here's a photo from this morning showing the view from the front.

And yes, I cut every piece with the hacksaw you see on the bench :D Or maybe the chop saw is out of view in this frame ???

post-74-1176246235_thumb.jpg

Jack Sayers

East Los Angeles

From the top...

post-74-1176246270_thumb.jpg

Jack Sayers

East Los Angeles

Some idiot put this thing too close to the retaining wall, and I had to drive all the screws on that side by hand because the drill wouldn't fit.  I'm going to have the same problem when I try to attach the polycarbonate on that side, unless I'm motivated enough to buy a right angle attachment before then...

post-74-1176246361_thumb.jpg

Jack Sayers

East Los Angeles

So you're blaming it all on Danny again? ???

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Spring Valley, CA (8.5 miles inland from San Diego Bay)

10B on the hill (635 ft. elevation)

9B in the canyon (520 ft. elevation)

It's progressing nicely Jack.

(MattyB @ Apr. 10 2007,16:29)

So you're blaming it all on Danny again? ???

Exactly! I hate that bastard! Plus, he noticed when my wife got her hair cut and I didn't. Now I have to sleep in my greenhouse frame.  :(

Jack Sayers

East Los Angeles

He told me that he cut your wifes hair... :cool:

If global warming means I can grow Cocos Nucifera, then bring it on....

Very nice Jack! :D

But I have to ask, was that first round of screws not enough to motivate you to buy the right angle attachment?! :)

(elHoagie @ Apr. 10 2007,16:06)

Some idiot put this thing too close to the retaining wall, and I had to drive all the screws on that side by hand because the drill wouldn't fit.  I'm going to have the same problem when I try to attach the polycarbonate on that side, unless I'm motivated enough to buy a right angle attachment before then...

Thats funny, when Danny helped put up Gary Levines greenhouse he had the same issue. He borrowed my Makita right angle drill for a day....at least he's consistant!  :P

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

(BS @ Man about Palms,Apr. 10 2007,20:17)

Thats funny, when Danny helped put up Gary Levines greenhouse he had the same issue. He borrowed my Makita right angle drill for a day....at least he's consistant!  :P

Before I falsely give Danny a bad name, that idiot would actually be me. Danny just helped me pour the concrete slab.

Jack Sayers

East Los Angeles

(elHoagie @ Apr. 10 2007,20:21)

(BS @ Man about Palms,Apr. 10 2007,20:17)

Before I falsely give Danny a bad name, that idiot would actually be me. Danny just helped me pour the concrete slab.

Well Jack thats cool, at least Danny could stand by quietly KNOWING the problem you would have, safe in the knowledge that he had a solution if you ASKED him!   :P

I love that "Gorillaman"!

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

for the record - I had nothing to do with either layout

and I have many hairdressers in my family tree

so I notice that sort of thing

I get by with a little help from my fronds

I'll be out there again in a couple of weeks.  Maybe I can see the finished product in person.

Jack, I agree with Matt; that beard actually suited you but doesnt for most younger guys so if you havnt thrown it out just super glue it back in place - now!

Regardez

Juan

Juan

(elHoagie @ Apr. 10 2007,19:06)

If you didn't, given your limited space, you might have ended up with about a three foot (1 M) wide greenhouse . . . .

dave

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

(Ray, Tampa @ Apr. 11 2007,07:07)

I'll be out there again in a couple of weeks.  Maybe I can see the finished product in person.

Ray...you're not bringing the 'Catholic school boy nightmare' with you, are you ??

If global warming means I can grow Cocos Nucifera, then bring it on....

Ray...you're not bringing the 'Catholic school boy nightmare' with you, are you ??

Hey Steve,

I can upon request!

Ray

(Dave from So-Cal @ Apr. 11 2007,05:17)

(elHoagie @ Apr. 10 2007,19:06)

If you didn't, given your limited space, you might have ended up with about a three foot (1 M) wide greenhouse . . . .

dave

Dave - that's exactly the reason I put it so close to the retaining wall.  Still, it didn't stop me from bitching and moaning about every screw I drove by hand.

Ray - I really hope it's finished before you get out here...

Juan - It's only a matter of time before I get too lazy to shave :cool:

Jack Sayers

East Los Angeles

Hi Danny

Jason will need you in WA for his new greenhouse before the year is out and those on the east coast would love your advice, so when are you coming :)

regards

colin

coastal north facing location

100klm south of Sydney

NSW

Australia

OK Jack,

I sure saved you from a certain den of iniquity a while back as you well know.

Shucks I shall just have to make the next Bi in CR to keep my eyes out and save you real pure for loverely Lauren.

Hey: are you with Calltech as rumour has it?

Do tell all!

Regardez

Juan

Juan

(Bilbo @ Apr. 13 2007,03:47)

OK Jack,

I sure saved you from a certain den of iniquity a while back as you well know.

Shucks I shall just have to make the next Bi in CR to keep my eyes out and save you real pure for loverely Lauren.

Hey: are you with Calltech as rumour has it?

Do tell all!

Regardez

Juan

Wow, now you're really going to get me in trouble Jon!  Lauren was a girl I dated back in high school, my beautiful wife is Lindsey :D

Jack Sayers

East Los Angeles

(palmsforpleasure @ Apr. 13 2007,19:59)

Hi Danny

Jason will need you in WA for his new greenhouse before the year is out and those on the east coast would love your advice, so when are you coming :)

regards

colin

Thanks for the help Colin, but.......

I use to build commercial greenhouses for a living..

as I've said to Danny before, theres a spare room available for him when he makes the trip  :cool:

Made the move to Mandurah - West Aust

Kamipalms,
Growing for the future

Dear Jack  :)

its very nice to see the work progress and you trying your

expertese in this filed. way to go man !

thanks for the coverage on the progress.

Love,

Kris  :)

love conquers all..

43278.gif