Sign in to follow this  
jfrye01@live.com

Anyone else this cold?? Nope? Just me, I guess :P

jfrye01@live.com

Cold cold cold here in the lower midwest...tonight, we're looking at a low of 15F with highs in the 30's all week...Last night, we reached a low of 23 at my place. Wind destroyed my palm protection last night, so only one of my washingtonias was protected...too bad the dog decided to sleep on it. Snapped the trunk off...words can't express the anger I had for this dog...Anyway, back on topic...fronds tied up on everything, blue plastic barrels placed over the top with c9 lights underneath...larger palm (butia) will be wrapped with lights and a thick wool blanket...wish me luck!! Ugh, should not be this cold:((

DoomsDave

Brrr.

Why I roared off the Californee from Ohio, where's about as cold.

PalmatierMeg

Cold cold cold here in the lower midwest...tonight, we're looking at a low of 15F with highs in the 30's all week...Last night, we reached a low of 23 at my place. Wind destroyed my palm protection last night, so only one of my washingtonias was protected...too bad the dog decided to sleep on it. Snapped the trunk off...words can't express the anger I had for this dog...Anyway, back on topic...fronds tied up on everything, blue plastic barrels placed over the top with c9 lights underneath...larger palm (butia) will be wrapped with lights and a thick wool blanket...wish me luck!! Ugh, should not be this cold:((

Let the dog sleep indoors so you won't have this problem again.

• Upvote 1

Moose

It may be time to bring your lipstick palm inside :winkie:

displaced_floridian

The hardiest palm I know, right here in Denver, Colo, where it's 10 degrees right now.

post-4141-0-85046700-1415767168_thumb.jp

Edited by displaced_floridian

smithgn

That dang dog of yours! I must say, the only dog I've ever known to lay down on top of a tree. And sleep.

Funkthulhu

it was 4 when I got up today...

DoomsDave

it was 4 when I got up today...

At least it was above 0, F. :)

jfrye01@live.com

Don't tell anyone, but I'm secretly trying to kill my butia (shhhhhhh!) It was a steal when I bought it, but was diseased...According to my AcuRite thermometer, it dropped to -4F a couple weeks ago (not sure if I believe that, however...NWS recorded 9F in Wichita)...Anyway, it's been two weeks, and the butia defoliated (petioles are green, leaflets are brown), but the spear(s) won't pull...crazy...

Jimbean

Don't tell anyone, but I'm secretly trying to kill my butia (shhhhhhh!) It was a steal when I bought it, but was diseased...According to my AcuRite thermometer, it dropped to -4F a couple weeks ago (not sure if I believe that, however...NWS recorded 9F in Wichita)...Anyway, it's been two weeks, and the butia defoliated (petioles are green, leaflets are brown), but the spear(s) won't pull...crazy...

Palmy

That's crazy that you have palms in El Dorado KS! How on earth do they survive? In OKC, there are a few sabals here and there, but they are hard to come by. The OKC Zoo has a ton of palms around. It's not inconceivable to have temps dip to -4F with a 9F reading in Wichita depending on where your thermometer is, depending if you are in a valley sheltered from winds. Your thermometer is probably off though.