IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Dypsis baronii - you dig

MattyB

I'd estimate a 20 gallon tub minimum, 24" box would be ideal.

post-126-0-39774500-1415561425_thumb.jpg

post-126-0-47195000-1415561444_thumb.jpg

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Spring Valley, CA (8.5 miles inland from San Diego Bay)

10B on the hill (635 ft. elevation)

9B in the canyon (520 ft. elevation)

It's yours

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

killer score. The Baronii looks great!!

Carlsbad, California Zone 10 B on the hill (402 ft. elevation)

Sunset zone 24

Full sun, all day. I'll just leave the spot open so the E. arenarius can spread out

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

hey Matt, any other cool palm you looking to get rid of?? If so let me know

Sunset zone 24

Nikolas just dug it up and we hauled it up the hill in my 4x4. No pics, sorry. Maybe he'll take some after pics at his place. It's always a learning experience when you get down into the soil and see how a palm is rooting and see how your watering regiment is doing. This palm gets water once a week, on drip, 8 gallons total. It got watered on Saturday, 8 gallons, and here it is only Tuesday and it was only moderately moist down there. Certainly not wet. Amazing how well my rocky soil drains and wicks water away. Also, it goes to show you that a palm can thrive in soil with a lot less water than most people think. The aeration is just as important as the water. I think people forget that.

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

I agree with that 100% Matt. Can you post a pic of your E. arenarius that you want to spread out??

Sunset zone 24

Thanks for the pics Nikolas! That thing isn't going to skip a beat because you got such a nice size rootball and it was solid. I don't even remember seeing that many roots out the side. I bet it keeps on growing right through winter. Heck it'll probably grow better for you now that it's getting more water.

...and yeah that is a D. prestoniana. maybe it'll just move the baronii's drippers over to the prestoniana so that it gets more water.

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

That D. prestoniana is going to be a monster and it looks to be in a really good spot in your garden.

Sunset zone 24

That's a real nice Baronii! Nickolas is the man when it comes to moving plants. Quite a bit of my yard has ended up in his, with more planned to make the trip in the spring!

• 3 weeks later...

Now that D-prest can stretch out a bit. Was at Matty's house the other day and what an amazing garden (not to mention that view) he has.

Sunset zone 24

• 3 months later...

Beautifull palm, what's in the second photo second on the right of the D.baronii? The short one?

Maks,

Beograd

Beautifull palm, what's in the second photo second on the right of the D.baronii? The short one?

Macrozamia Miquelii

Oh it's cycad, thanks i just wanted to say with roebelenii like leaves i would never say it's not a palm.

Maks,

Beograd