• Similar Content

• PalmatierMeg
      By PalmatierMeg
      Saw this article in the news this morning. Haven't read it yet but am already shivering. If there is any good in this news, it's that the vortex won't arrive until mid-February. Maybe the effects won't be as severe by then.
      polar-vortex-may-be-on-the-horizon-scientists-warn
      Note: I'm reading article now. Polar vortex to start end of Dec. and inflict "one of the harshest winters in years." Yikes! I remember the last one not too many years back.
    • PalmTreeDude
      By PalmTreeDude
      I thought I'd start a thread about frost after seeing very thick frost this morning. How often does your climate get frost (if it even does)? Where are you located? Are you in a cold/warm microclimate or have any? Here in Virginia, near Chester, we get frost commonly during the Winter and late Fall. Tree canopy (I use Leyland Cypress for this, it works well) and close proximity to water can protect places here from a lot of the first frosts. Here was the frost this morning, the first picture is from my front yard (exposed to the West) and the second picture is from a lot with Leyland Cypress in it. Notice how the closer you get to the Leyland Cypress the less frost there is. Also keep in mind that this was a pretty heavy frost. With light frosts, it is common for places with dense canopy above to get no frost at all. 

• Jake
      By Jake
      So I’m planning on moving to the Emerald Coast after I finish my EMT-P. From what I’ve seen, it’s mostly Cabbage Palms, Canary Island Dates, Windmills, and some California Fan Palms. 
      The area seems to have most everything I want, but I find it slightly upsetting that Cocoa’s cannot grow there! I did some research on the subject and found that Pensacola and Panama City are both 9a USDA zones. Not surprising at all.
      Now this is what throws me off; Multiple websites I have seen say that Coconut Palms are “..great for growing from 9a to 11..” Is this information just plain wrong? I’m just confused as to why no one would plant these in the panhandle if they are able..?
      Thanks for your time,
      - Jake

• pj_orlando_z9b
      By pj_orlando_z9b
      Hi, new poster here.  Look forward to good discussions.  Have a coconut in Orlando.  Planted it in 2015 and made it through unprotected 2 winters just fine.  Got hit by the January 2018 freeze. (6 hours below freezing, 4 hours @ 28F).  
      Protection: C7 lights around trunk wrapped in burlap and bed sheets.  Inside thermometer by trunk never got below 40F.
      Symptoms: New spears starting pushing out just a few weeks after the freeze. In March, it started showing signs of complications or stress. New fronds are wilting and some necrosis appearing. Last 2 fronds wilting in almost a "U" shape.
      Treatment: After seeing some necrosis or signed of fungus, I did a treatment of fungicide and hydrogen peroxide.
      Fertilizer: Like most others in Central Florida, I get spring stress from lack of Mn and K.  I did my normal treatment fertilizer, K, and Mn on 4/1 (I have a regular treatment 4x per year)

1-2 weeks after freeze (2/1):

Today (4/24)

Today (4/24) Emerging spears looking ok

Palm meristem seems fine.  I tug once a week and no signs of spear pulling out.  Whether it is cold damage or fertilizer, is this normal after a stress event?