IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Brahea moorei?

The Silent Seed

Phoenix rupicola

Gotta ask, what's the palm behind the moorei in post #32. Is that a cliff date palm?

Phoenix rupicola

• Upvote 1

Glenn

Modesto, California

Sunset Zone 14   USDA 9b

Low Temp. 19F/-7C 12-20-1990         

High Temp. 111F/43C 07-23-2006

Annual Average Precipitation 13.12 inches/yr.

Here are some pictures of it in the wild. It occurs in Tamaulipas at about 3500'-5000' elevation in oak forest, usually in shade and in areas that have a nice layer of rich soil before hitting limestone. Despite the fact it usually occurs above 4000' it seems to have no problem in hot humid conditions. It can rarely see temps in the teens in its native habitat.

2e1vx8j.jpg

21zdd3.jpg
An unusual filiform type growing at the southern end of its range
2i12rg8.jpg
  • Upvote 4

Those are some good looking palms ! That 9-year old one is much bigger than I would have expected of that age.

Nice to see some in their habitat, as well - That's not a flower stalk is it, on the wild plant ? Does it think it's a Yucca? :)

great pic's Rich. I'm drooling over here!!!

Carlsbad, California Zone 10 B on the hill (402 ft. elevation)

Sunset zone 24

great pic's Rich. I'm drooling over here!!!

Check my PM . . .

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

• 2 weeks later...

B. Mooreii is my favorite species of the Brahea genus.

The genus comes from Mexico and is comprised of ten fan leafed species .

B. Mooreii hails from the Sierra Madre region and is said to prefer a dry substrate.

It has been a good grower for me and enjoys the North exposure with primary morning sun.

My garden is not dry but is well draining.

This Palm is approx. twenty years old and a stunning specimen.

post-370-0-70067400-1417884900_thumb.jpg

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

Jeffry Brusseau

"Cuesta Linda"

Vista, California

WOW!!!! very nice palm Jeff!! What a specimen!! :greenthumb:

Sunset zone 24

Years ago I got some good fresh seeds from Peckerwood Gardens. I now have about 10 one gallon seedlings, and they are starting to look really nice.

Years ago I got some good fresh seeds from Peckerwood Gardens. I now have about 10 one gallon seedlings, and they are starting to look really nice.

can you send pictures of the 1 gal's??

Sunset zone 24

Well, I actually just left them in Gainesville yesterday. I am back home in Smyrna, TN. I am going back there the end of the month, and will try to remember to get a few pictures at that time.

sounds good. Thanks Frank!!

Sunset zone 24

• 1 year later...

My Brshea mooreii growing in Dallas is blooming. The bloom spike looks contorted and curling. Anyone with flowering B. Mooreii have  and info to share and compare with my flowers? Thanks

image.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

Wow Tony, wonderful Moorei! Very rare bloom spike! :o 

Perhaps due to the first bloom.

This one is flowering here in Mallorca, vertical spike.image.thumb.jpeg.753db8e6f49fdb6d5a04382image.thumb.jpeg.2dea093efb56b4fe8d5b2e0

Edited by sergiskan
  • Upvote 2

On 11/5/2014, 10:15:33, Josh-O said:

Hi All, I'm new to Palm talk but have been a palm nut for many years. I would also be interested in buying some B. Moorei seeds. How many do you have and what would your price be? Also, do you have a picture you can share from the plant the seeds came from?

:D and now you're tha' man!!!:D

Rio_Grande.gif

2 hours ago, sergiskan said:

Wow Tony, wonderful Moorei! Very rare bloom spike! :o 

Perhaps due to the first bloom.

This one is flowering here in Mallorca, vertical spike.image.thumb.jpeg.753db8e6f49fdb6d5a04382image.thumb.jpeg.2dea093efb56b4fe8d5b2e0

Thanks great pix. Good comparison because they are of similar size. :)

• Upvote 1

only if I could get some of that seed when it ripens :)

• Upvote 1

Sunset zone 24

• 1 year later...

Congrats Cikas.

...one of the most beautiful small palm to me. Little jewel.

• Upvote 1

• 10 months later...
  • 1 year later...

I ordered 10 Brahea Moorei seeds in the Spring as a result of a promotion from rarepalmseeds.  I put them right away in small pots (with planters mix) in the greenhouse.  My first sprout in very late July.  I am in 7A Northern VA, so they may have to stay potted and brought in the greenhouse for Winter unless anyone can attest to them surviving outdoors in the ground (with a little Winter protection) north of the advertised 8A rating??

Brahea Moorei seedling.JPG

I have failed three times with small seedlings.  What is the secret?  My only thought is that I must be keeping them too wet.  Should I try a faster draining mix with less organic material? Thanks for any observations. 

San Francisco, California

1 hour ago, VA Palmer said:

I am in 7A Northern VA, so they may have to stay potted and brought in the greenhouse for Winter unless anyone can attest to them surviving outdoors in the ground (with a little Winter protection) north of the advertised 8A rating??

I would provide winter protection - seedlings normally aren't nearly as cold hardy as mature plants.  And even larger, mature plants aren't as cold hardy their first winter after planting.  I've read where 5-gal Trachycarpus fortunei can be damaged their first winter in the ground unprotected at 20º F which is much warmer than mature, established palms can handle.

Jon Sunder

On 7/31/2020 at 2:14 PM, Darold Petty said:

I have failed three times with small seedlings.  What is the secret?  My only thought is that I must be keeping them too wet.  Should I try a faster draining mix with less organic material? Thanks for any observations. 

Only one of ten seeds has sprouted and this is my first go at it with a little reading on the subject, but I will share what I did:  For these types of plants (as opposed to a bald cypress - which can handle wetter conditions),  I always put 60% planters mix on top of 20% course or all purpose sand on top of 20% pea gravel with cut window screens or small "chicken" wire in the bottom to keep the materials from exiting the holes at the bottom of the pots.  The planters mix comes from Merrifield Gardens in NoVA and I have had better success with it (on a variety of plantings) than potting mix.  I do mix a little seeding mix in as well.  Every planting that I used Biotene seed starting powder failed.  I kept them moist but not soaked.  Nothing sprouted until the temps got at or above 90 for 20 some days straight.  My post under Dwarf Palmetto/Sabal minor showed a success rate of 7/10 seeds using the same approach.

• Like 1

On 7/31/2020 at 2:37 PM, Fusca said:

I would provide winter protection - seedlings normally aren't nearly as cold hardy as mature plants.  And even larger, mature plants aren't as cold hardy their first winter after planting.  I've read where 5-gal Trachycarpus fortunei can be damaged their first winter in the ground unprotected at 20º F which is much warmer than mature, established palms can handle.

Thanks.  My third year fortunei (four) went in the ground this past Spring in a protected area (fence and evergreen Leelands to block the northern wind - the trees I intend to remove once the Windmills are mature - plus for now, they provide them with some afternoon shade protection in Summer heat as well).  For Winter, I intend to wrap the heart in burlap cloth and a moderate cover of dry leaves (as per Francko).  I may only use a wrap of Christmas lights when they are taller.  Let's hope - and thanks again.

• Upvote 1

Trachycarpus fortunei usually look terrible here in Texas when planted in full sun.  I have one I grew from seed planted in mostly shade protected from late afternoon sun which is brutal here.  It gets 2-4 hours of sun and still looks decent.  Good luck with your palms!

Jon Sunder

• 4 weeks later...
On 7/31/2020 at 11:14 AM, Darold Petty said:

Darold, mine that I bought from UC Berkeley Botanical Garden / Tim Gregory lived outside in my garden in the shade still in their 6in (or 4in?) pots for years. Verrry slow, so I gave them to Chuck Swanson over in Castro Valley, who also finds them very slow but at least they're in the ground now. I think if you're growing them in your greenhouse you'd want to plant them in a sharp-draining medium, indeed.

Jason Dewees

Inner Sunset District

Sunset zone 17

USDA zone 10a

21 inches / 530mm annual rainfall, mostly October to April

Humidity averages 60 to 85 percent year-round.

Summer: 67F/55F | 19C/12C

Winter: 56F/44F | 13C/6C

40-year extremes: 96F/26F | 35.5C/-3.8C

Thanks Jason,  I have a new crop just sprouted from Cecille's parent plant.  Will share if you would like a few more!  :)

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Darold Petty said:

Thanks Jason,  I have a new crop just sprouted from Cecille's parent plant.  Will share if you would like a few more!  :)

Yes, please!!

Maybe some of mine came from you?

Jason Dewees

Inner Sunset District

Sunset zone 17

USDA zone 10a

21 inches / 530mm annual rainfall, mostly October to April

Humidity averages 60 to 85 percent year-round.

Summer: 67F/55F | 19C/12C

Winter: 56F/44F | 13C/6C

40-year extremes: 96F/26F | 35.5C/-3.8C

Here’s my little 10 year old neglected moorei. Seems to do well with just a little water every 3rd day or so, no fert and planted at the base of a greedy1A00D56E-CA69-47E2-B32D-B67A9A2704B2.thumb.jpeg.0f24e98457e989202e443e4d72e27d46.jpegF38D1BC7-CD79-46E2-A6DC-660B79AE2E15.thumb.jpeg.7a3df2ecfc9fef6c4bb0097f7f9976bd.jpegC389DDEA-4830-4D6A-8859-B44924DAE8A4.thumb.jpeg.d9edc98e9ed278225f0adb899d1bb406.jpeg queen.

• Like 3

Matt in Temecula, CA

Hot and dry in the summer, cold with light frost in the winter. Halfway between the desert and ocean

• 1 month later...