IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Brahea moorei?

The Silent Seed

Hi gang

I have a chance to get seeds - but this is one I don't have any experience with - is it desirable? Is it rare? Hard to get seeds? Etc etc.

Thanks in advance!

• Upvote 1

Very nice, indeed. They're a blue Brahea, but slender, with all the Brahea attributes for a place like California. Likes heat, takes drought, and lots of sun.

Armatas are a nice blue, too, but they're fat in the trunk and some think they're ungainly. Moorei would be easier to use in a landscape.

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

Brahea moorei is trunkless specie. Dwarf palm.

Great for foreground and as understory palm. :)

Brahea-moorei-01-2010.jpg

Edited by Cikas
  • Like 3
  • Upvote 1

Glenn, here in Modesto has several... very nice looking palms.

• Like 1

Modesto, CA USDA 9b

July/August average 95f/63f

Dec/Jan average 55f/39f

Average lowest winter temp 27f

Record low temp 18f

Record high temp 113f

That blue one is gorgeous! I have seen several examples that are green (photos) - such as the one above - are some blue, and some green? Or ?

I've confirmed that I will be getting them. Are they straightforward for germination? One source online says they have a low percentage of survival? (Actually it may have been an old palmtalk thread.)

Where did you get this one from Jurica?

Where did you get this one from Jurica?

It is not mine. Random photo from the net ( This Brahea moorei on the photo is from Portugal ). :)

You can get seedlings of this palm at

http://www.mypalmshop.com/Other%20outdoor%20palms#prettyPhoto

Larger plants are harder to find, at least in Europe.

That blue one is gorgeous! I have seen several examples that are green (photos) - such as the one above - are some blue, and some green? Or ?

I've confirmed that I will be getting them. Are they straightforward for germination? One source online says they have a low percentage of survival? (Actually it may have been an old palmtalk thread.)

Apparently they are green first few years, they get silver color later ( similar as Brahea Super silver ).

Edited by Cikas
  • Upvote 1

Hi All, I'm new to Palm talk but have been a palm nut for many years. I would also be interested in buying some B. Moorei seeds. How many do you have and what would your price be? Also, do you have a picture you can share from the plant the seeds came from?

Carlsbad, California Zone 10 B on the hill (402 ft. elevation)

Sunset zone 24

send me a PM to let me know the availability and cost

Sunset zone 24

Josh - first of all; welcome!

You are new - so you may not realize that this particular forum isn't for selling - but for sharing information. As Ben stated; you could put an ad in the wanted section if you are looking for these seeds.

The reason I've asked about reasonable pricing, as well as general information on this one is because I've never seen them offered before - here, or elsewhere. Feel free to PM me for more information.

I have asked for photos of the parent plant - thanks for that suggestion.

Any input on germination, and high percentage of seedling die-off?

Thanks!

Edited by santoury

Thanks guys for the feed back. I'll take your advise on posting on the wanted section next time.

mahalo,

Sunset zone 24

BTW, Patric Schafer has some very small Moorei seedlings. I got a 1g plant off him this spring, but I think all he has now are strap-leafers.

Ben Rogers

On the border of Concord & Clayton in the East Bay hills - Elev 387 ft 37.95 °N, 121.94 °W

My back yard weather station: http://www.wunderground.com/cgi-bin/findweather/hdfForecast?query=37.954%2C-121.945&sp=KCACONCO37

:winkie: great suggestion!!! I'll give Patric a call. I bought some cool stuff from him in in the past. I didn't know he had B. Moorei seedlings buy now I do

Sunset zone 24

Hey guys,

Is Patric a member here? I'd like to contact him, but don't see if he is in the member list just by his first name - I'd like to pick his brain about planting my upcoming seeds, since he obviously knows how to grow them. If you prefer, you can PM me his contact info if you don't want it public.

Thanks!

Hey guys,

Is Patric a member here? I'd like to contact him, but don't see if he is in the member list just by his first name - I'd like to pick his brain about planting my upcoming seeds, since he obviously knows how to grow them. If you prefer, you can PM me his contact info if you don't want it public.

Thanks!

He reads here. His address has been published in enough threads, so it's coolhybrids@wildblue.net.

Ben Rogers

On the border of Concord & Clayton in the East Bay hills - Elev 387 ft 37.95 °N, 121.94 °W

My back yard weather station: http://www.wunderground.com/cgi-bin/findweather/hdfForecast?query=37.954%2C-121.945&sp=KCACONCO37

His stuff is awesome. I bought some Jubea X Queen seedlings last year and they have tripled in size and currently reside in 5 gal pots. I also bought some butia yatay X queen = short mule. they are now in 15 gal's from a plant band in 1 year. extremely fast growers.

Sunset zone 24

His stuff is awesome. I bought some Jubea X Queen seedlings last year and they have tripled in size and currently reside in 5 gal pots. I also bought some butia yatay X queen = short mule. they are now in 15 gal's from a plant band in 1 year. extremely fast growers.

I'm surprised the Yatay mule would be shorter. Yatay are supposed to be the tallest growing Butia. I am counting on my Yatay mules to be taller...and perhaps with a slightly thinner trunk.

Ben Rogers

Hi Ben, I'm on the same thought path as you with yatay being a taller Butia. I thought it was odd when Patric said it was call a short mule. I also have some Jubes X Parajubea C. and they are legit 15 gal plants from a plant band last year. I'm sure glad that patric does these cool looking cold hardy hybrid palms.

Sunset zone 24

JxPJC? That's one I don't have now. I only have a JxS. Another for the list!!

Ben Rogers

when I get a chance I'll post a couple of pics

Sunset zone 24

Brahea moorei does well in shade, too. Its upright flowerstalks are very pretty. The tops of the leaves are shiny and tend toward green with waxy-white edging, while the undersides are waxy-pale-grey. The leaf segments are soft, but not really pendulous. The petioles are unarmed. It looks a lot like a trunkless Coccothrinax. Some say they'll survive temperatures as low as 15F or 10F.

• Like 2

Jason Dewees

Inner Sunset District

San Francisco, California

Sunset zone 17

USDA zone 10a

21 inches / 530mm annual rainfall, mostly October to April

Humidity averages 60 to 85 percent year-round.

Summer: 67F/55F | 19C/12C

Winter: 56F/44F | 13C/6C

40-year extremes: 96F/26F | 35.5C/-3.8C

Super info - thanks! The seeds arrived today - so excited.

Do you recommend direct sowing, or baggies, or moss, or ?

Thanks!

• Like 1

Here is my Moorei in Flower. Its a very slow palm but well worth the wait. This one is about ten years old from a two gallon plant and super colorful now.

post-151-0-60613400-1416244078_thumb.jpg

• Upvote 3

Rock Ridge Ranch

South Escondido

5 miles ENE Rancho Bernardo

33.06N 117W, Elevation 971 Feet

Glenn, here in Modesto has several... very nice looking palms.

This is a really great palm for my climate. No spines, stays low and really beautiful. Plus they look different in different amounts of sun. This first one just threw its first flower stalk this year.

DSC_0930_zpse57b6495.jpg

DSC_0932_zps34627a05.jpg

B mooreii in shady, filtered sun location.

DSC_0933_zps393fecc6.jpg

• Upvote 2

Glenn

Modesto, California

Sunset Zone 14   USDA 9b

Low Temp. 19F/-7C 12-20-1990         

High Temp. 111F/43C 07-23-2006

Annual Average Precipitation 13.12 inches/yr.

Glenn, where did you buy your B. mooreii. I'm still looking to buy one somewhere

Sunset zone 24

Glenn, where did you buy your B. mooreii. I'm still looking to buy one somewhere

I purchased some from Cistus Nursery in Portland, OR and grew many by seed purchased from Rarepalmseed, both many years ago.

• Upvote 1

Glenn

Modesto, California

Sunset Zone 14   USDA 9b

Low Temp. 19F/-7C 12-20-1990         

High Temp. 111F/43C 07-23-2006

Annual Average Precipitation 13.12 inches/yr.

Moorei is one of the best braheas for N, central Texas and temperate climates as they do well in shade and part sun. They are also incredibly cold Hardy as mine and others survived 14* lows and temps below 32* for 96 hours in 2011. I have grown many from seed and find them easy to germinate and grow- just slow. From seedlings - the 'quickest' I've had them progress to silver leaf undersides is six years (under optimal conditions). One of my favorites!

How much are those 1g plants?

6 years? I guess I'm in for a wait :) It'd be nice to get one to enjoy, while these seeds take their time.

You'd need to check with Patric on pricing. I want to say around $50 but I can't really remember - got mine last spring. I was talking to him recently though and he did say that he still has some, perhaps on the smaller side.

Ben Rogers