IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Big Island Bull's Eye - Again!!!

Dypsisdean

Way way early - and still a lot of advertised uncertainty - so let's hope they are wrong. But if they are right, this would get dicey again. They have it as a hurricane Sat, poised to make a direct hit.

post-11-0-07919100-1413250698_thumb.gif

animated-volcano-image-0010.gif.71ccc48bfc1ec622a0adca187eabaaa4.gif

Kona, on The Big Island
Hawaii - Land of Volcanoes

That does not look good. Even if the eye is 100 miles left or right of center I'm thinking heavy downpours and strong winds are headed there. Be safe and batten down the hatches.

Oh, please, no more storm damage. :bummed: I just finished cleaning up all the fallen trees (about 8). Here is a view of the beat up vestiaria path after cleanup, me doing The Scream. You can see a few new leaves emerging above the battered crowns, the remains of stilt roots to the right of me in the pic, the only palm that got flattened by the many trees that fell here.

post-216-0-59953000-1413292428_thumb.jpg

Kim Cyr

Between the beach and the bays, Point Loma, San Diego, California USA
and on a 300 year-old lava flow, Pahoa, Hawaii, 1/4 mile from the 2018 flow
All characters  in this work are fictitious. Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental.

Oh, please, no more storm damage. :bummed: I just finished cleaning up all the fallen trees (about 8). Here is a view of the beat up vestiaria path after cleanup, me doing The Scream. You can see a few new leaves emerging above the battered crowns, the remains of stilt roots to the right of me in the pic, the only palm that got flattened by the many trees that fell here.

attachicon.gifDSC_0030.JPG

Kim,

I must not have been keeping up. I had no idea you had that much damage. Yikes.

In my post I sometimes express "my" opinion. Warning, it may differ from "your" opinion. If so, please do not feel insulted, just state your own if you wish. Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or any other damages

Hoping it's not so bad this time:

post-216-0-68458300-1413390768_thumb.png

Kim Cyr

All characters  in this work are fictitious. Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental.

On our side of the world, Florida has dodged a couple big hits; but it looks like Bermuda is going to take it on the head again on Friday.

175058W5_NL_sm.gif

The weight of lies will bring you down / And follow you to every town / Cause nothin happens here

That doesn't happen there / So when you run make sure you run / To something and not away from

Cause lies don't need an aero plane / To chase you anywhere

--Avett Bros

...maybe with any luck Ana will pass below the Big Island

CP022014W1.gif

The weight of lies will bring you down / And follow you to every town / Cause nothin happens here

That doesn't happen there / So when you run make sure you run / To something and not away from

Cause lies don't need an aero plane / To chase you anywhere

--Avett Bros

Below would be worse, as the strongest winds are in the right front quadrant, and will be onshore, driving higher storm surges

DSC_0030.JPG

I like the photo but not the damage! I certainly hope you bypass the current threat! I haven't heard from my closest neighbors in Puerto Rico, but the reports look like we lucked out again on our farm with Gonzalo. All of us will be glad when hurricane season ends.

Cindy Adair

All these Big Island natural disasters, Tropical Storm Iselle in August, the lava making major advances in September and October, and now Tropical Storm Ana... Extremely poor co-ordination. :mrlooney: With the power going out for an extended period of time for each natural disaster, would it be too much to ask for a bit of consideration? Why not have everything happen at the SAME TIME! :hmm: But oh no, these disasters apparently have a bit of ego - each of them wanting to inflict maximum damage all on their own and getting individual credit! :bemused: A Natural Disasters Shrink would have a field day with these guys. :laugh2: "Displaying a clear and disturbing need to get attention". "A serious inability and unwillingness relating to, and communcating, with other Natural Disasters". "Failure to grasp its own shortcomings - no matter what, you're not going to be another Hurricane Katrina or come close to the destruction that the lavaflow in AD 79 inflicted on Pompeii". :mrlooney:

Leilani Estates, 25 mls/40 km south of Hilo, Big Island of Hawai'i. Elevation 880 ft/270 m. Average rainfall 140 inches/3550 mm

Fortunately it's a small storm with hurricane winds extending out only 20 miles from the eye, and tropical storm force winds only 65 miles. You may have dodged the bullet !

Looks like Ana will deliver only a glancing blow to the Big Island. Here on Maui it's been rainy and blustery all day - I think we're get a lot of moisture pushed at us from the advancing storm. But rain and bluster aren't that uncommon around here.

Mike

post-1659-0-08530800-1413600329_thumb.jp

Mike Lock, North coast of Maui, 330 ft/100 m elevaton, 80 in/2000 mm average rainfall

Hi everybody! So many of you I have now had the privilege to meet in person and others to converse with online here.

I'm glad to hear Hawaii may escape the worst, but will await the all clear from everyone....

Cindy Adair

So far, so good! :) It's been a very wet night (and it's 5:30 am as I type this), but not that much wind, and that's just fine. We can handle pretty much any amount of rain without difficulties. Strong winds, not so much.

Leilani Estates, 25 mls/40 km south of Hilo, Big Island of Hawai'i. Elevation 880 ft/270 m. Average rainfall 140 inches/3550 mm

No wind at all here. Only an inch and a quarter of rain so far.

Kona could use one of these twice a week. :)

Kona, on The Big Island

3.34 inches here as of 8 am this morning. Better than nothing! :mrlooney: And a few brief showers since then, but probably didn't add up to much. The strongest winds since yesterday could probably best be described as "blustery". Nothing significant, that's for sure. :)

Haven't ever seen this before - the path of the vog from the volcano. Easy to see where the center of the hurricane is.

post-11-0-59302200-1413674653_thumb.png

Kona, on The Big Island

Went for a ride by diamond head today, dark clouds on the horizon, now its been raining all day. No wind, lots of mellow

rain, no complaints, yet.

aloha

From the east (windward) side of Hawaii Island. Winds were actually less than normal. Last I checked, I had 8 inches of rain, and there has been more since then. Good time for potting and mixing more soil.

Mike Merritt

Big Island of Hawaii, windward, rainy side, 740 feet (225 meters) elevation

165 inches (4,200 mm) of rain per year, 66 to 83 deg F (20 to 28 deg C) in summer, 62 to 80 deg F (16.7 to 26.7 Deg C) in winter.

Here in south Kona Tropical Storm Ana did give us some nice rain but no wind, a similar situation as with Hurricane Iselle. When these storms pass to the south, long and high Mauna Loa seems to protect the Kona side.

Hawaii Island (Big Island), leeward coast, 19 degrees N. latitude, south Kona mauka at approx. 380m (1,250 ft.) and about 1.6 km (1-mile) upslope from ocean.

No record of a hurricane passing over this island (yet!).  

Summer maximum rainfall - variable averaging 900-1150mm (35-45") - Perfect drainage on black volcanic rocky soil.  

Nice sunsets!

• 4 weeks later...

Kim what's your vestiara row look like now?

Bet it's almost grown back after a month.

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

Dave, the vestiaria trail is looking really fine. It has a new perimeter of logs along the south side -- a big pile of lucky misses -- and the new leaves and new spears are bringing back the feel of a tunnel of orange crownshafts and maroon leaves, just magical. With the exception of a single lost palm, all the way at the end (no missing front teeth) you'd never know how many trees fell on that area, stripping fronds and mashing roots.

Now with the storms past and the lava stalled, the feeling of impending doom is replaced by deep attachment to this little patch of paradise. Life is good. My heart is full. :)

Kim Cyr