IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Palms in Kentucky?

kypalmer

I've been keeping palms for almost 5 years now and to my surprise they've been doing well. I recently (last spring) my small small pindo in the ground and constructed a small pvc dome with 9mil clear plastic. For the most part the palm did exceptionally well. It was the worse winter this area has had since 1995, 19 years! According to USDA I'm in zone 7.... So what was the outcome.....well I think condensation must have dripped off the peak of my pvc dome structure down into the spear. In one of the nights of dipping into the -4 or -5 range it must have froze that which dripped into the spear causing the plant to appear dead come spring. With the small pindo living, it motivated me to plant my other palms in the ground and so I did. In went the pygmy and bigger pindo.

I went and tugged on the spear, pulling it out and a week later a near spear appeared and the plant thrived on, especially with a boost of fertilizer to bring it out of the winter. I don't think I want to do that type of overwintering this year, I may do something else. I was thinking of wrapping the trunks with frost cloth or burlap, piling on a few bags of mulch. Then wrap the fronds up to snuggle the spear, then using the pvc to construct a teepee type of structure with shrink wrap wrapped around it with a couple of small slits for air circulation at the bottom. What do you think? Anyway here are my 3 palms. (Don't pay any attention to the hay needing cut in the background. Photo was taken while the lawn mower was being dead and needing fixed , LOL).

20141009_082522_zpsb43b4746.jpg

20141009_082536_zps1212ca26.jpg

20141009_082549_zps96a95246.jpg

Edited by kypalmer

zone 7 and palming...... how 'bout that?

:mrlooney:

• 2 months later...

I've been keeping palms for almost 5 years now and to my surprise they've been doing well. I recently (last spring) my small small pindo in the ground and constructed a small pvc dome with 9mil clear plastic. For the most part the palm did exceptionally well. It was the worse winter this area has had since 1995, 19 years! According to USDA I'm in zone 7.... So what was the outcome.....well I think condensation must have dripped off the peak of my pvc dome structure down into the spear. In one of the nights of dipping into the -4 or -5 range it must have froze that which dripped into the spear causing the plant to appear dead come spring. With the small pindo living, it motivated me to plant my other palms in the ground and so I did. In went the pygmy and bigger pindo.

I went and tugged on the spear, pulling it out and a week later a near spear appeared and the plant thrived on, especially with a boost of fertilizer to bring it out of the winter. I don't think I want to do that type of overwintering this year, I may do something else. I was thinking of wrapping the trunks with frost cloth or burlap, piling on a few bags of mulch. Then wrap the fronds up to snuggle the spear, then using the pvc to construct a teepee type of structure with shrink wrap wrapped around it with a couple of small slits for air circulation at the bottom. What do you think? Anyway here are my 3 palms. (Don't pay any attention to the hay needing cut in the background. Photo was taken while the lawn mower was being dead and needing fixed , LOL).

20141009_082522_zpsb43b4746.jpg

20141009_082536_zps1212ca26.jpg

20141009_082549_zps96a95246.jpg

Your Pindos look very nice! Haven't been able to grow Pindos herd in Nothern Middle Tn. Been looking for a good pindo source, and have not been able to find any. Another reason why I am starting a cold hardy palm field. What other palms are you growing in KY? What part of KY are you located in?

Cool. I thought that was the grim reaper in the background for a minute. Great job. Needle Palms should work there.

In my post I sometimes express "my" opinion. Warning, it may differ from "your" opinion. If so, please do not feel insulted, just state your own if you wish. Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or any other damages

Cool. I thought that was the grim reaper in the background for a minute. .

LOL!

I wouldn't give any protection unless going below 15 degrees....tie up fronds wrap thin sheet....then those small icicle lights.... then wrap with another sheet or something not to heavy if it gets wet.

David Simms zone 9a on Highway 30a

200 steps from the Gulf in NW Florida

30 ft. elevation and sandy soil