IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

A few pic's from my zone 8b garden

Jubaea_James760

IMG_4723_zps15f4def1.jpg

Washingtonia filifera & Bella

IMG_4696_zps48bcb762.jpg

Sabal pumos

IMG_4687_zpsc1434561.jpg

• Upvote 1

Hesperia,Southern CA (High Desert area). Zone 8b

Elevation; about 3600 ft.

Lowest temp. I can expect each year 19/20*f lowest since I've been growing palms *13(2007) Hottest temp. Each year *106

Error pic #3 is Trachycarpus nanus. This is Sabal pumos

IMG_4688_zpsada67598.jpg

Dypsis decipens, this one am protecting as long as I could.

IMG_4681_zps23ee7234.jpg

Pheonix theophrastii

IMG_4679_zpsa1d94d06.jpg

• Upvote 1

Lowest temp. I can expect each year 19/20*f lowest since I've been growing palms *13(2007) Hottest temp. Each year *106

Trithrinax campestris

IMG_4669_zpsfac2168d.jpg

Nannorhops arabica ( Iranian silver) has grown quite a bit in 2 years despite been labeled a slow grower.

IMG_4659_zps180949ae.jpg

Rhapidophyilum hystrix ( misspelled)

IMG_4642_zps35d7cc66.jpg

• Upvote 1

Sabal mexicana

IMG_4705_zpsa97ff978.jpg

Last pic,all these pics were taken this past July, some have grown a spear or 2, 3 or none!

IMG_4623_zpseb54e8f4.jpg

• Upvote 1

A palm oasis! James, I too have noticed that my nannorhops grows faster than what's advertised out there. I'm not exactly sure what variation mine is but it seems to be about the same color as yours. You have a good variety of stuff, hows your dypsis doing? That'll be a challenge- for any of us in zone 8, but well worth it in my opinion.

Those are some nice hardy palms, being in high desert you should be able to grow all those to a really big sizes. Love to see updates as the garden grows. Theres a really good book called Landscape Plants for Dry Regions, you should check out. The book has over 600 species and are broken down to high elevation desert, medium elevation and low subtropical desert. Really good reference book with pics and growing condition.

Recommend it for anyone that lives anywhere in the desert.

Your garden is looking awesome. :greenthumb:

Edited by Palm crazy

Great selection of palms for your area !

Trithrinax campestris - what i wouldn't give for a specimen that size WOW !

Nannorhops arabica great size for that slow growing plant !

I would be inclined to put down some gravel ./ pebble paths with mulch around the palms and some colorful succulents and agave for a bit of variety and this would look really great for your area !

Phorenix syvestris silver would also look great along with Brahea clara

Cheers Troy

Old Beach ,Hobart
Tasmania ,Australia. 42 " south
Cool Maritime climate

Thanks smith, my nannorhops has been amazing! I just hope it keeps up the pace. I'll show a before & after in a bit.

My dypsis has been slow, very slow! I've just planted it out this year & it got sun burnt but it seems to be adapting well. The newer leafs are not burning, it's in half day sun & when it burnt I put some potted palms to block more sun. Protections gonna be key for me to get this palm to a decent size.

Thank you palm crazy, I might of stubbled across that book several years ago at Barnes & noble but at that time I was strictly into palms, now I'll have to check it out so I could start planting all kinds of companion plants to make a garden stand out! Unfortunately I will be moving in a year or so but to a much bigger yard! That's when the funs really gonna start.

You said it Troy! That's a great vision, something I had in mind but I won't be at this location to much longer so am pumping the brakes.

Good news is it's my sisters house and I won't be moving very far so I'll have 100% access to my palms here!

My nannorhops July 2012

20120801_085245.jpg

July 2014 now with 5 trunks, 3 big & 2 very small(notice you can't really see the little rock behind it any more)

IMG_4707_zps5d29bf58.jpg

• Upvote 2

Some more palms from my garden; Sabal blackburniana

IMG_4716_zpsececda1c.jpg

Sabal uresana

IMG_4666_zpsd6d8564f.jpg

Sabal palmetto

IMG_4652_zps3fbe2d2e.jpg

• Upvote 1

Sabal Louisiana

IMG_4648_zps187ca553.jpg

Serenoa repens(blue)

IMG_4645_zps90f5604f.jpg

Livistona nitida, trying this one again. Lost my last one durning winter.

IMG_4683_zps908a3a09.jpg

• Upvote 1

Washingtonia robusta & trachycarpus fortunei's at the bottom

IMG_4637_zps870dadab.jpg

My biggest butia capitata setting seed these year!

IMG_4620_zps44fe8730.jpg

Here it is sending out flower stalks back in July.

IMG_4621_zps08419838.jpg

• Upvote 1

Chamerhops humilis (cerifera) with ripe seed

IMG_4617_zps40dfc08f.jpg

Brahea Edulis

IMG_4628_zps68d04c43.jpg

Inside my green house, a bunch of encephalartos seedlings coming up or ready too

IMG_4626_zpsda00817d.jpg

Thanks for looking!

• Upvote 1

Correction, the blue Mediterranean in the pic had non ripe seed back in July when I took the pic now has ripe seed,"

Wish I could get my grass to NOT grow like yours! I swear all I do is cut it and pull it and I never get caught up with it--even round up'ed my whole backyard once and two months later, everyone asked me how I got my grass to look so nice... :indifferent:

It's gonna be awesome when you have canopy--thanks for sharing.

Yea it helps by only having 2in. Of rain this year lol, hope next years fares better.

I no it's gonna be great when I start forming canopy! I can't wait, thanks for looking

Awesome. We have several nuances between our climates although I am colder temperature wise..

How much snow does Hesperia receive yearly?

wxBanner?bannertype=wu_clean2day_cond&pw

Hey Sailor , thanks

We get about an in. Or 2 but every 7-10 years we'll get about a foot or more. back in 2008 was the most I'd ever saw, we got 18+ in! .all in one day, it was pretty wild!

Your palms are looking great- nice choices too. I recently obtained some Mazari seeds off of ebay and plan to germinate them over the winter see how they do.

My climate we can expect snow every year...variable with an average of 7 to 11 inches for the entire city. It will snow 3 inches and the city shuts down pretty much. It melts quickly.

We have had freakish snow here same as you mentioned breaking a record 11 inches in a single day (most ever) and the two day total was 20 inches or something. I didn't live here at the time although I grew up in the area and I did not see it- I heard it shut the city down for 4 days lol.

The most I ever saw in a single snowfall was ~7inches which I remember was a lot.

Climate zone be damned, you have a palm garden and a nice one too.

Jimmy, I remember growing up in Albuquerque a looooong time ago and it used to snow regularly during winter. As kids we even had snow suits. No load, we did and used to wear them, we even used to have snow days although not often. I guess snow suits nowadays in Albuq. aren't a good look.

Tim

Tim

Hilo, Hawaii

Climate zone be damned, you have a palm garden and a nice one too.

Jimmy, I remember growing up in Albuquerque a looooong time ago and it used to snow regularly during winter. As kids we even had snow suits. No load, we did and used to wear them, we even used to have snow days although not often. I guess snow suits nowadays in Albuq. aren't a good look.

Tim

Thanks! Still working out the details.. maybe in a few more years it will be something to really look at. The surviving local washingtonia hybrids defy logic.. they really should be dead as a doornail.

I'm trying a Satsuma.... just about pasted right next to a south wall protected very well from north winds. I might be pushing it.. because the other factor is how many times the temperature falls below 32F (0C) and the duration it stays there. Looking at some of the new graphs of weather data.. a temperature could hit 10F.. but in an hour that temperature could or might rise into the 20's.. The NWS average low in January at the ABQ airport is 26F. this might prove too low for Satsuma.. especially if it happens 60+ times a year. We will see.

Its great to meet a fellow Albuquerquean! I don't own a snowsuit lol.. don't get me wrong they are great and everything.. but typically I don't think its needed. Last winter we got ~6 inches of snow and the year before that was ~4-5 inches.. over the course of a season several 1-4 inch events- added together isn't much per snowfall. Its actually a decent climate don't get me wrong.. goes through the bases really (as you know).

Now if I can get those Butia/Jubaea hybrids rooted solid.. that will truly be something!

Always curious about y'alls soil out west.....it looks like it has a lot of clay. When you water deeply....if you dig down 6inches in a week is it still moist? Is it basically the same soil in southern California, New Mexico, Arizona, West Texas?

If you had my sand in your climate....don't think much would grow without daily water.

David Simms zone 9a on Highway 30a

200 steps from the Gulf in NW Florida

30 ft. elevation and sandy soil

Mine is sand.. similar in nature to yours. There is a 'loam' but really mostly sand overall. Unexposed area without fabric and gravel will dry in 1-2 sunny days when the sand gets hot- longer with the fabric and seems to hold in the moisture.

Water is a huge issue for me. I don't water deeply.. currently I run my drippers 20 minutes every few days.. everyday in summer. I am unskilled in how to water deeply? Is it something you should do just once a week? and run the dripper for 4-5 hours?

No clue on that

Mine is sand.. similar in nature to yours. There is a 'loam' but really mostly sand overall. Unexposed area without fabric and gravel will dry in 1-2 sunny days when the sand gets hot- longer with the fabric and seems to hold in the moisture.

Water is a huge issue for me. I don't water deeply.. currently I run my drippers 20 minutes every few days.. everyday in summer. I am unskilled in how to water deeply? Is it something you should do just once a week? and run the dripper for 4-5 hours?

No clue on that

I started running 1 or 2 GPH drippers this summer for 5-6 hours. It has done a world of good for my water lovers (Livistona, Archontophoenix) and for palms on my slope. I was resisting setting these systems up but have seen the light - they are more efficient to boot.

Ben Rogers

On the border of Concord & Clayton in the East Bay hills - Elev 387 ft 37.95 °N, 121.94 °W

My back yard weather station: http://www.wunderground.com/cgi-bin/findweather/hdfForecast?query=37.954%2C-121.945&sp=KCACONCO37

Serenoa repens(blue)

IMG_4645_zps90f5604f.jpg

Pretty sure your Serenoa repens is of the more common green variety.I have grown both from seed and even from the time they sprout,the silver are definitely silver.(see com pot) I have a couple 1 gallons planted out on the north side in almost year round shade and they are still pushing silver.Generally,the more sun they get,the more silver they get.

aztropic

Mesa,Arizona

post-236-0-68855300-1414340529_thumb.jpg

post-236-0-30067600-1414342405_thumb.jpg

Mesa, Arizona

Temps between 29F and 115F each year

Aztropic, ur right. I looked at my tag & it didn't say blue, I must have been thinking of my Brahea's Dulcis ( blue).

I want to still get my hands on a blue Serenoa repens, I would think blue/silver ones are slower? If that's the case I'll be really old by the time I see it like the one I saw in the Huntington botanical garden! Mine grows really slow, which one do u think is more cold hardy in ur experience?

Green is probably more cold tolerant.They are everywhere! Blue only seems to grow natually very near the coast where it is a little warmer.

aztropic

Mesa,Arizona

Mesa, Arizona

Temps between 29F and 115F each year

• 3 weeks later...

I planted a silver Serenoa at the same time as 2 green ones, and it is much larger. Not a huge sample size, I know, but it has been pretty fast. The silver one gets more sun, so maybe that made the difference. The only cold damage it has received is to the emerging spear. I think you can get a 1 or 3 gallon plant from Mail Order Natives.

Woodville, FL

zone 8b

James what temps did your Livistona nitida die at? I have two one gallons that made it last winter at 16F, both were covered with blanket.

Roger.

James, are you growing Jubea Chilensis or parabujea toryallii? They would make great additions if you have any room

Carlsbad, California Zone 10 B on the hill (402 ft. elevation)

Sunset zone 24

Roger, my nitida died at 19F but with no protection. It was a over grown tall 1gal so I didn't think about covering it. I blame it on me not the palm. I didn't give it the best chance to survive, this winter am gona protect it along with a lot more stuff!

Josh, I planted out my 15gal Jubaea that I had for 5+ years this year but no parajubaea. I would need to find a good protected spot for one but I definitely have it on my list along with a mule Palm. Thanks

I should point out that I lost all the fronds on mine at 16F but the spear was totally good. One is close to the house the other out in the open with other palms.

You have a long hot growing season so your new one should recover really fast if it get damage this winter, but I think you’re going to have a mild one this year along with everyone else in Cali.

post-97-0-61093500-1416006346.jpg

The difference between silver and green....pretty dramatic IMO...these plants are near my house.

David Simms zone 9a on Highway 30a

200 steps from the Gulf in NW Florida

30 ft. elevation and sandy soil

Roger, I do hope we get a mild winter. "Fingers crossed " I'll still protect most of my palms when the temperature drops below 28F especially the ones I planted this spring.

That's a great Idea James. Protect those beauties.... It's nice to see pic's from people like yourself who push the palm envelope with climate zones.. Cheers and well done!!

Carlsbad, California Zone 10 B on the hill (402 ft. elevation)

Sunset zone 24

Thanks Josh I appreciate it!