IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

FINANCIAL CRIME AGAINST THE PALM SOCIETY OF SOUTHERN CALIFORNIA

DoomsDave

To all PSSC members:

The Palm Society of Southern California has been the victim of a financial crime, which we first learned about after our meeting on September 20, 2014. Our investigation as to the full extent of losses is continuing and we will keep members updated as details become known.

We are working with law enforcement to effect the arrest and prosecution of those responsible. We will not allow this to stop our publication of the Palm Journal or other work we do.

We intend to move forward, however much the losses turn out to be.

As always, we are and remain grateful for your support. David Bleistein, President

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

thanks

no joke

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

Has any of our credit card information been comprimised?

• Upvote 1

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Spring Valley, CA (8.5 miles inland from San Diego Bay)

10B on the hill (635 ft. elevation)

9B in the canyon (520 ft. elevation)

Good luck with everything Dave.

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

Our funds were embezzled by our former treasurer.

We're seeing exactly how much was stolen, versus how much was spent.

This breaks my heart.

Just for the record - it wasn't me!

Seriously, though - at this time, any information 'over the airwaves' could jeopardize the ongoing investigation and/or prosecution of any party/parties responsible for the above-mentioned crime/crimes.

That said, when I was last active among the Board of Directors, there was vigorous debate regarding the expensive tradition of a printed journal versus publishing our content online. Through his extraordinary efforts, Larry Black has managed to get our printed journal published at a considerably lower cost, which - until this unfortunate incident - may have kept our local chapter sustainable for a while longer; however, the reality of printing costs - contrasted with publishing the content of our journal online - will eventually bankrupt our society UNLESS we:

A) Raise the price of membership

B) Somehow manage to recruit and retain several hundred new members (>500, by my reckoning)

C) Win the lottery

I don't harbor much hope for the complete recovery of our embezzled funds, so if anyone has any ideas how to quickly raise capital or modify our current model towards something more sustainable, please share!

I get by with a little help from my fronds

Not likely - the perpetrator's method didn't require that much sophistication...

Consider extra meetings over next 12-24 months and approach people and nurseries for palm and other tropical type plant donations to hold fund raising raffles. Put on a sauage sizzle and some light entertainment put on by members themselves (I know you are a talented bunch over there) , I'll even send over some of my shirts to raffle, just say the word. A palm poem contest, entries cost $5-00, winner gets his money back and one of my shirts. This all may sound corny but I'm serious, turn a bad thing into a fun thing, if there's anything we can do from over here let us know.

• Upvote 1

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

Events like this are not uncommon and organizations should be on the lookout for it at all times. Members always find it easy to "keep doing what they have always done" but this is not recommended. Times change and so do people so why should the way we do things stay the same? Change is an experiment and the results can be used to guide the next efforts. It is a good idea to take any new efforts seriously and to allow those making the effort to give it a try. After all their help is free!

I DIG PALMS

Call me anytime to chat about transplanting palms.

305-345-8918

https://www.facebook...KenJohnsonPalms

Matt, sorry for the late reply.

Danny's right, as far as it goes.

All PSSC members who used paypal will have the numbers held by paypal. No need for you to worry.

I will be doing my part by renewing my membership even though I live far away.

One of these days I'll surprise everyone and show up for a meeting. Of course that's likely after I finish saving for the next IPS meetings as I noted in another thread today.

So sorry for your troubles and hope you recoup some of your losses eventually.

Cindy Adair

Dave - is there any breakdown or analysis available for how PSSC funds are utilized? I know it's a lot to ask under the circumstances, but I imagine it would be good for members to see how their dollars are spent.

I realize we could easily have this discussion over the phone, but I want to keep this thread floating.

Thank you Cindy apaandssa for your support; it's especially heartening when folks from out of state join our group - I love that our journal is enjoyed around the world Edited by palmazon

Dave you better be working your butt off to force law enforcement to get this guy.

Here is a way to get donations. Get the media involved. If you can't get law enforcement to at least get a file on record then contact news organization. They would run with this. Local non-profit ripped off would get traction.

I don't know the guy who did it as I never met him, but his name should be publicly tarred and feathered at the least.

Len

Vista, CA (Zone 10a)

Shadowridge Area

"Show me your garden and I shall tell you what you are."

-- Alfred Austin

Dave you better be working your butt off to force law enforcement to get this guy.

Here is a way to get donations. Get the media involved. If you can't get law enforcement to at least get it file on record and contact news organization. They would run with this. Local non-profit ripped off would get traction.

I don't know the guy who did it as I never met him, but his name should be publicly tarred and feathered at the least.

I agree!

I hope the PSSC calls out for help as they need it. There are a lot of people around the world that read this and many of them are members of local palm societies and or the International Palm Society. WE should all come together to help the PSSC.

This could even lead to a whole new way of doing things. With the new IPS web site soon to open we may be able to publish right there with no cost to the local societies at all. Our efforts can be put towards large meetings scheduled around the world and hosted by locals. That would be so much fun.

• Upvote 1

I DIG PALMS

Call me anytime to chat about transplanting palms.

305-345-8918

https://www.facebook...KenJohnsonPalms

• 3 weeks later...

I just learned of this hideous crime today. I'm truly sad to see that one of our own would do this to us. I'll be sure to bring a load of cool rare palms to the next meeting to auction off to help raise funds.

• Upvote 1

Carlsbad, California Zone 10 B on the hill (402 ft. elevation)

Sunset zone 24

I hope the authorities continue actively seeking criminal charges. Many volunteer man hours involved to amass those Society's funds. If the money is gone, eating baloney sandwiches while incarcerated would give the culprit much time to reflect on their wrongs and betrayal of trust. :evil:

Coral Gables, FL 8 miles North of Fairchild USDA Zone 10B

Here is a way to get donations. Get the media involved. If you can't get law enforcement to at least get it file on record and contact news organization. They would run with this. Local non-profit ripped off would get traction.

I agree!
Dave already does an enormous amount of work for the society - what we need going forward is more members to get more active
  • Upvote 1

I agree!
Dave already does an enormous amount of work for the society - what we need going forward is more members to get more active

I second that notion

Carlsbad, California Zone 10 B on the hill (402 ft. elevation)

Sunset zone 24

• 4 weeks later...

I was sorry to read about the theft.

Since I don't live in the area and haven't been to any of your meetings, I was wondering as for attracting new members, is there any outreach done to local palm nurseries, garden shops and maybe even colleges with advanced fliers of upcoming Society meetings and palm auctions? If not, I would think a number of these places would be happy to post an occasional flier at their location. More people interested in planting palms in general increases the chance to sell palms, plants and other related landscaping needs, so a win-win I would think. And the Palm Society isn't competing with them, more like enhancing what they do. I don't know how welcoming landscape companies would be to passing meeting info on to any interested crew but I'd think if more of their crews got knowledgeable about palms the better able the companies would be to offer palm maintenace services. Just a thought if you are looking to attract more members.

I was also thinking that with so many of you guys down south spread out over a good area of prime palm growing habitat, if the leadership created fliers that members could then print out and distribute locally to some of these business each month/quarter or whenever you do your meetings, you'd stand a good chance to attract people from all over with very little effort other than posting the fliers. I know if I lived in Southern Calif I wouldn't mind dropping by a few garden centers, etc occasionally to do something like that. A flier with tear-offs of event, date and time and location and maybe a contact number or email addy and Society URL would be their reminder. Might take a few times of posting fliers to get someone interested. You'd need to open meetings to non-members but it would give you a chance to talk to those that took the time to come out and would be potential new members down the road. If palm auctions were restricted to members only, that might be the hook to get someone to join.

BTW if anyone from the Northern Calif society would like to distribute meeting fliers like this, I'd be happy to volunteer to do so in my area. Just PM me.

Zone 9b (formerly listed as Zone 9a); Sunset 14