IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Lost and Found

Really full garden

I live in a real jungle and it is easy for my palms to "disappear". This morning we actually had some sun and so I went exploring and found a 3m tall Wallichia oblongifolia shining in the dappled sun .I have not seen this palm for at least three years and it has done very well on its own.When it was planted four years ago it was Wallichia densiflora.

I also found a variegated rhapis palm on deaths door that I hope I can save (planted in a too wet and now too dark location).

Our rainy season is starting to slow down.We are getting just an inch of rain per day instead of the usual five to six inches just a week ago.

post-175-0-80019200-1412693242_thumb.jpg

El Oasis - beach garden, distinct wet/dry season ,year round 20-38c

Las Heliconias - jungle garden ,800m elevation,150+ inches rainfall, year round 15-28c

I wish I could be lost in your jungle and never be found anymore. :)

Very nice picture, thanks.

5809129ecff1c_P1010385copie3.JPG.15aa3f5

Philippe

Jungle Paradise in Sri Lanka

Boy Scott, many of us wished we had your problem. Scouting through your forest.....Dr. Livingston I presume?

Tim

Tim

Hilo, Hawaii

beautiful plant. it reminds me of a small arenga undulatifolia.

the "prince of snarkness."

still "warning-free."

san diego,california,left coast.

I live in a real jungle and it is easy for my palms to "disappear". This morning we actually had some sun and so I went exploring and found a 3m tall Wallichia oblongifolia shining in the dappled sun .I have not seen this palm for at least three years and it has done very well on its own.When it was planted four years ago it was Wallichia densiflora.

I also found a variegated rhapis palm on deaths door that I hope I can save (planted in a too wet and now too dark location).

Our rainy season is starting to slow down.We are getting just an inch of rain per day instead of the usual five to six inches just a week ago.

attachicon.gifIMG_0240.jpg

I can certainly relate to losing palms! Your found one is lovely!

Cindy Adair

I wish I could be lost in your jungle and never be found anymore. :)

Very nice picture, thanks.

Oh Philippe you should think twice about that.I live in a very dangerous place.

Las Heliconias - jungle garden ,800m elevation,150+ inches rainfall, year round 15-28c

At least I think I have found it in your posted picture!

Sorry the picture isnt better ,but that was the best I could do. You cant see the forest for the trees.

Boy Scott, many of us wished we had your problem. Scouting through your forest.....Dr. Livingston I presume?

Tim

Tim there are more than 125 acres, mostly steep slopes.It is a real workout just to see a portion.

beautiful plant. it reminds me of a small arenga undulatifolia.

It really reminds me of some caryota/arenga hybrid. It is such a neat,well behaved clustering palm .I do not know why it is not more popular.

your variegated Rhapis will revert unless you drown it in daylight

It still has several nicely variegated trunks. About half of it had died.It was planted in a semi shady spot,but because of slow growth and the aggressive plants around it,it just got smothered. I separated it into two plants and now have them in pots in bright shade with a little morning sun.

attachicon.gifIMG_0240.jpg

I can certainly relate to losing palms! Your found one is lovely!

Cindy, it is a constant battle to keep up with all the plants.I am endlessly cutting windows in the canopy to let in light.

• 1 month later...

Sadly the last jaguars were hunted in the 80s. There are still pumas,margay and jagarundis. I have much more to worry about from my human neighbors. Kidnapping is a much bigger threat to me than any animal. I have armed security 24hrs.