IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Reported toxicity of Wodyetia fruit

Geoff

I am a veterinarian and have been studying toxic plants for many years. Just this week I had a report that a dog at another hospital from the one I work at had ingested Foxtail palm fruits and was dying from the toxicity. I can find absolutely NOTHING about this from the toxic plant sites or palm sites… either it is a brand new finding, or more likely, a case of mistaken identity… anyone heard of Wodyetia seeds being toxic?

post-426-0-56544900-1412191202_thumb.jpg

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Maybe it was a Cycas revoluta.

(Is it ok to plagiarize a photo if you're sending back to the owner?)

post-126-0-88659300-1412192304_thumb.jpg

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Spring Valley, CA (8.5 miles inland from San Diego Bay)

10B on the hill (635 ft. elevation)

9B in the canyon (520 ft. elevation)

Do they know that there is a large seed inside of the foxtail fruit? Maybe he's got the seed stuck in his gut.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Matt makes a great point, as cycads are quite toxic. The only toxic palm I have read about is Orania. (So perhaps not a stretch that another palm might be toxic ?)

San Francisco, California

Do they know that there is a large seed inside of the foxtail fruit? Maybe he's got the seed stuck in his gut.

My neighbors dog had to have surgery to remove all the fishtail palm seeds he ate. They would not pass and clogged him up.

Jupiter FL

in the Zone formally known as 10A

We had a Dalmatian that was clogged up from a raquet ball. They could not see it in x-rays and only upon doing exploratory surgery did they find it.

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

When I had a Queen Palm, my dog used to eat the ripe seeds constantly. They passed right through him. I saw them in his poop. :blink2: Could it have been an allergic reaction?

BTW, Aren't fishtail (Caryota) seeds caustic?

-Randy

"If you need me, I'll be outside" -Randy Wiesner Palm Beach County, Florida Zone 10Bish

I agree.. hard to believe a dog would eat more than one fishtail palm seed.. they are full of oxalates and supposedly extremely painful to ingest. STill, if this dog is small (I have no info on what type of dog it is) than I would not be surprised that even Queen palm seeds could clog it up. But not same symptoms as a toxicity… just vomiting (after a few days, could be a VERY sick dog and look like a toxicity I suppose). Still, so rare to see a fruiting Wodyetia in Los Angeles.

• 10 months later...

I know that this is old, but the answer is yes. Foxtail palms, fruit, seeds, and leaves are all toxic, and can kill your pets if ingested.

• Like 1

I know that this is old, but the answer is yes. Foxtail palms, fruit, seeds, and leaves are all toxic, and can kill your pets if ingested.

Do you have any sources? I'm curious which compound is the cause.

• Like 1

Keith 

Palmetto, Florida (10a) and Tampa, Florida (9b/10a)

what is your source, and, yes, what is the compound? Seeing that comment on Davesgarden does little to convince me, as no one has to cite any references on Davesgarden. Am still pretty sure these are NOT toxic fruits, but am not about to go out and gobble some down just to prove it. …. guess I need to find a volunteer….

• Like 1

what is your source, and, yes, what is the compound? Seeing that comment on Davesgarden does little to convince me, as no one has to cite any references on Davesgarden. Am still pretty sure these are NOT toxic fruits, but am not about to go out and gobble some down just to prove it. …. guess I need to find a volunteer….

May be the only source has died because he couldn’t find another volunteer … :sick::evil:

• Upvote 1

My photos at flickr: flickr.com/photos/palmeir/albums

Do you have any sources? I'm curious which compound is the cause.

I have to stand corrected after having done a little more research regarding this matter. I retrieved this information from a couple of gardening sites, that listed either the entire fruit or the just seed being toxic. Neither site will qualify as a fully credible source. However, I did come across a blog inwhich, an individual did taste some of the fleshy fruit of the foxtail palm with no harmful symptoms. I then

began to read several credible resources and non provided any information regarding if the Wodyetia's fruit or just the seeds were toxic or not. I wish you the best of luck in your endeavor to find an answer regarding this matter.

Edited by tonyp709
  • Like 1

• 4 years later...

So, toxic or not?

• Like 1

5 year high 42.2C/108F (07/06/2018)--5 year low 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)--Lowest recent/current winter: 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)

7 hours ago, GottmitAlex said:

So, toxic or not?

I really want to know! We let 50 lbs of them rot in our yard each year. I was just thinking to myself how cool it would be if hey were actually delicious and no one knows because of their recent discovery 

On 8/8/2015 at 12:50 AM, Geoff said:

The compound Diterpene is mentioned here in wodyetia https://dogappy.com/are-palm-tree-seeds-poisonous-to-dogs

I poisoned myself cleaning Adonidia seeds a few weeks ago and spent the better part of a week in the hospital. Heart rate was down to 35 BPM and body temp 95 F when the ambulance folks dumped me off their gurney onto a table in the ER. I had passed out and fallen twice at home prior to having someone call the ambulance. Be careful folks and keep an eye on the furry friends.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, NOT A TA said:

The compound Diterpene is mentioned here in wodyetia https://dogappy.com/are-palm-tree-seeds-poisonous-to-dogs

I poisoned myself cleaning Adonidia seeds a few weeks ago and spent the better part of a week in the hospital. Heart rate was down to 35 BPM and body temp 95 F when the ambulance folks dumped me off their gurney onto a table in the ER. I had passed out and fallen twice at home prior to having someone call the ambulance. Be careful folks and keep an eye on the furry friends.

I’m not saying the site is wrong about foxtail toxicity, but the incorrect image it has for sago palm doth not inspire confidence. Does anyone know of a medical/botanical paper on the subject  that has been peer reviewed?

• 4 months later...

There are many references to the toxicity of Foxtail Palm.  Here are a few links:

https://dogappy.com/are-palm-tree-seeds-poisonous-to-dogs

https://homeguides.sfgate.com/queen-palm-tree-nuts-poisonous-dogs-86729.html

scroll down to "fruits"   https://brisbanetrees.com.au/foxtail-palm/