IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

My Jubaea X Butia F2 Hybrid

Scot from SC

On ‎12‎/‎30‎/‎2015‎ ‎11‎:‎29‎:‎31‎, Scot from SC said:

Thanks Nick! I can't wait to get Patric's hybrids in the ground next year and compare them to this one. Patric's hybrids have grown a lot in their pots since I got them earlier this year. Didn't you buy a few of his hybrids?

Yeah, that'll be fun to see where you put them. I'm sure they'll take off even more once in ground. 3 of my 4 hybrids have steadily grown. Those 3 being the BJxJ, JxS and BJxS. I believe they're still settling into their new pots, as they haven't even been in their respective pots for a year yet. My first hybrid that I bought, the BxPJc has really taken off. Starting to show true character leaves and everything. I'm really proud of that one since it's my first hybrid and it seems to be growing the fastest. It's been in it's pot for about 5 or 6 months longer than the other 3. I hate to say it, but I can see myself buying more of these hybrids! Any of yours showing character leaves? We bought ours around the same time, I believe. My 3 aforementioned hybrids have been pushing, ehm, hybrid juvenile/adult leaves. Nothing like my BxPJc, yet.

Edited by smithgn

• 5 months later...

Very nice, I like the bluish colour. So is it a Jutia or a Bubea? ;)

Larry Shone in wet and sunny north-east England!  Zone9 ish

Tie two fish together and though they have two tails they cannot swim <>< ><>

Here is a picture of it that I took earlier today. I placed a fifteen inch ruler next to it for scale. It was sold to me as a J X B, but I have been told by viewers that it is a regular Butia. Regardless, I like the color, and it is faster growing than my other Butias.

I have since bought some confirmed hybrids from Patric and a recent J X B X S (Queen) from another source that I will be documenting too. Thanks for the continued interest in the thread everyone.

IMG_20160604_184335_561-1.jpg

• Like 1
  • Upvote 4

Here is a picture of a frond with a fifteen inch ruler. I took this picture today as well.

IMG_20160604_200306.jpg

• Upvote 1

Whatever it is I absolutely love it. Can you post pics of the petioles? 

Los Angeles, CA and Myrtle Beach, SC.

Thank you. I will have to take more pictures. Here is another picture that I took today.

IMG_20160604_215800.jpg

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎6‎/‎4‎/‎2016‎ ‎5‎:‎50‎:‎55‎, Scot from SC said:

Here is a picture of it that I took earlier today. I placed a fifteen inch ruler next to it for scale. It was sold to me as a J X B, but I have been told by viewers that it is a regular Butia. Regardless, I like the color, and it is faster growing than my other Butias.

I have since bought some confirmed hybrids from Patric and a recent J X B X S (Queen) from another source that I will be documenting too. Thanks for the continued interest in the thread everyone.

IMG_20160604_184335_561-1.jpg

My JXB F3 looks similar to this and has the twisted fronds... but I was too once worried that it was 'just a butia'...   I have a green butia that is more symmetrical though..so not sure if that is a characteristic.  My JXB palm has fronds that are not as arching.

Very beautiful and it is doing well !  Thank you for posting..

wxBanner?bannertype=wu_clean2day_cond&pw

• 1 month later...
On 1/1/2016, 2:37:17, smithgn said:

Yeah, that'll be fun to see where you put them. I'm sure they'll take off even more once in ground. 3 of my 4 hybrids have steadily grown. Those 3 being the BJxJ, JxS and BJxS. I believe they're still settling into their new pots, as they haven't even been in their respective pots for a year yet. My first hybrid that I bought, the BxPJc has really taken off. Starting to show true character leaves and everything. I'm really proud of that one since it's my first hybrid and it seems to be growing the fastest. It's been in it's pot for about 5 or 6 months longer than the other 3. I hate to say it, but I can see myself buying more of these hybrids! Any of yours showing character leaves? We bought ours around the same time, I believe. My 3 aforementioned hybrids have been pushing, ehm, hybrid juvenile/adult leaves. Nothing like my BxPJc, yet.

Nick you have a green thumb my friend. I live in Florence, SC and have lost two BXPJc I figured they wouldn,t go here but you post makes me want to give it another try.  If I may ask do you protect them in winter? how did you plant them, How much H20? I have BXJ, JXS, BJXS growing nicely but BXPJc not so much.

On ‎8‎/‎8‎/‎2016‎ ‎6‎:‎15‎:‎06‎, beachbum said:

Nick you have a green thumb my friend. I live in Florence, SC and have lost two BXPJc I figured they wouldn,t go here but you post makes me want to give it another try.  If I may ask do you protect them in winter? how did you plant them, How much H20? I have BXJ, JXS, BJXS growing nicely but BXPJc not so much.

Hey, Chad. Every single one of my hybrid palms is still in their pots. I'm holding off on putting them in ground so they can perhaps build some cold tolerance so that when I do put them in ground, they'll be as ready as they can be to take on our winters. I have a feeling bxpjc aren't all that cold hardy. I would suspect they could take temperatures in the teens, but they wont be as cold hardy as Mules. But that remains to be seen. How big were yours when you put them in ground? Did you provide any protection?

10 hours ago, smithgn said:

Hey, Chad. Every single one of my hybrid palms is still in their pots. I'm holding off on putting them in ground so they can perhaps build some cold tolerance so that when I do put them in ground, they'll be as ready as they can be to take on our winters. I have a feeling bxpjc aren't all that cold hardy. I would suspect they could take temperatures in the teens, but they wont be as cold hardy as Mules. But that remains to be seen. How big were yours when you put them in ground? Did you provide any protection?

By the way, I was probably alluding to this but I'll clear it up if there's any confusion... I bring all of my hybrids inside or in the garage when it gets below freezing. They haven't seen a severe freeze yet. And when they go in ground, I will probably protect them as best as I can until they become too large to protect; especially my B x Pjc; I spent way too much money on it for it to die when I could have protected it lol

Edited by smithgn

10 hours ago, smithgn said:

The one BXPJc was about size of baseball at base the other was size of golf ball at base.  Don't know how old they were.  Had overhead protection but lost smaller one in that severe cold snap winter before last and the larger one during the following summer heat and humidity.  My other hybrids are doing well.  Getting ready to bite the bullet and try a full blood Jubaea.

• 2 years later...
On 6/4/2016 at 8:41 PM, Scot from SC said:

Here is a picture of a frond with a fifteen inch ruler. I took this picture today as well.

IMG_20160604_200306.jpg

How's this guy looking a couple years later?

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

My JXB looks more like a jubaea!! 

I would love to see how this palm looks now and compare with mine since we have similar soil and weather :rolleyes:

2 hours ago, yabazid said:

My JXB looks more like a jubaea!! 

I would love to see how this palm looks now and compare with mine since we have similar soil and weather :rolleyes:

I definitely gotten the sense from all these JxB mule type threads that these hybrids are very variable. I would prefer 1 more Jubaea like except the speed of growth :D 

T J 

• 3 years later...