IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

10b Climate Zone

Patrick Palms

Miami is 10b. The Spanish island of Ibiza is zone 10b too. Does that mean whatever palms are growing in Miami can grow in Ibiza ?

Could make same observation about some pockets in southern California that are 10b (which would be similar to Ibiza), even though it never gets very cold, it doesn't ever really get and stay warm in the winter, and that means no-go for many tropicals like coconut as mentioned above and many others. There is world of different in these two types of 10b climates.

Corpus Christi, TX, near salt water, zone 9b/10a! Except when it isn't and everything gets nuked.

Adonidias won't grow anywhere coconuts won't. Both are true tropicals that require heat and sun. Some people think Adonidias are more cold-sensitive than Cocos. The American zone system is confusing and inadequate in many parts of the world - even in Cali it is unreliable.

Meg

Palms of Victory I shall wear

Cape Coral (It's Just Paradise)
Florida
Zone 10A on the Isabelle Canal
Elevation: 15 feet

I'd like to be under the sea in an octopus' garden in the shade.

If you are in a 10b climate like Ibiza, where the January average high is 59.9F and the low averages 46.6F, your tropicalesque palm growing options are indeed quite limited. I would think Archontophoenix cunn. and queen palms would do quite well with sufficient irrigation. Generally, the list of palms for Southern CA would be a good place to start for palms that would thrive on Ibiza. As stated, anything with truly tropical requirements will not survive the chilly winter temperatures experienced on Ibiza.

• 1 month later...

Mmmm, Ibiza is not 10b zone, more like 10a. You will hardly see below 32C there in winter but places like Malaga or Almuñecar are quite warmer in winter. Record low of Ibiza was -3C in 1957 which is a great number that speaks of the mild winter Ibiza has though...

Zone 9b(10a)...Cool, humid and rainy winters... very little frost but little sunny days...
08023.gif

Adonidias won't grow anywhere coconuts won't. Both are true tropicals that require heat and sun. Some people think Adonidias are more cold-sensitive than Cocos. The American zone system is confusing and inadequate in many parts of the world - even in Cali it is unreliable.

Humidity and precipitation totals are also a factor.

Coral Gables, FL 8 miles North of Fairchild USDA Zone 10B

I surely agree that the current system is not adequate.

To not really differentiate between a Humid Warm temperate/subtropical and a Mediterranean type of climate etc is Stupid .

There was a previous system that did a better job , and I have an atlas here somewhere in my collection of crap that did

a pretty good job with the Worldwide maps. Can't currently find it .

I do remember Climate types such as 31a 31b etc.

Why not 10bM and 10bH , or suchlike ?

AHA ! I just found it. It is " The Oxford World Atlas " (1973) .

The climate system used is based on work done by a C. Troll , as modified by Professor D.L. Linton .

There is a detailed explanation of the system in the intro , on page v.

Classed by Summer/Winter combo type , and temp. , as well as precip type .

There is a site called Weatherspark that has graphs of the amount of time spent at different temps: here is Miami (left) and Ibiza (right). The percentages are for the points where that temperature band is at its maximum.

post-4141-0-86570600-1416022329_thumb.jp

post-4141-0-37159700-1416022335_thumb.jp

Edited by displaced_floridian

Yeah I can see miami is well suited for the more tropical palm. Only Spanish island I know of growing coconut palms is Fuerteventura in the Canary islands. When I visited there last year I saw them. Is it True coconuts cant survive in temps below 15 C ? Without damage or frying

I hear Adonida palms can be grown indoors. In winter do they need only little watering until growth begins again ? Is the Satakentia palm a 10a palm ? Just love this palm and the Carpoxylon.

I hear Adonida palms can be grown indoors. In winter do they need only little watering until growth begins again ? Is the Satakentia palm a 10a palm ? Just love this palm and the Carpoxylon.

I would recommend you Hedyscepe Canterburyana over Carpoxylon if trying to grow them in Ibiza... I don't know how would perform Satakentia in Ibiza (MattyB has one growing in San Diego) but Hyophorbe Indica "red" would be a good substitute in Mediterranean climate...

Regarding Adonidia... why so much interest in it if you could grow outdoors many Veitchia palms, or even foxy-lady palms...?

Zone 9b(10a)...Cool, humid and rainy winters... very little frost but little sunny days...
08023.gif

I guess I like the tropical look that adonida gives, and very inexpensive. Yes indica red canterburyana would be a nice choice