IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Start of my new palm garden in Holland

Matt

Hello all,

Wanted to show some pictures of my new developing garden in the east of Holland. My palm collection is about 7 years old, and now it will be completely planted out. I started with this garden last may, I first had to reconstruct the house, after that started with the garden. When I bought the house last december the garden was almost a forest, it had to be cleared with machine's. It is sheltered from the eastern wind as it is surounded by houses. The borderline plants will be protected in winter. All of the palms are large container grown for a couple of years now, the jubaea had 230 liter roots, but was back breaker. Some of the palms don't look that good yet because I didn't have enough time to look after them last winter, but now in the ground the are growing strongly. I do have to add a lot of stones etc. Also the new planted bamboes will give some atmosphere next year.

post-1964-0-37424400-1411760293_thumb.jp

the white gate will be covered with grapes

post-1964-0-18704000-1411760354_thumb.jppost-1964-0-73477200-1411760553_thumb.jppost-1964-0-19304900-1411760569_thumb.jp

post-1964-0-16313600-1411760588_thumb.jp

Butia odorata x parajubaea sunkha very fast

post-1964-0-47057100-1411760731_thumb.jp

B. Paraguayensis Dick Douglas garden

post-1964-0-34562600-1411760782_thumb.jp

First a picture of my Nanus x Waggy wich has been pollinated with Fortunei pollen. You can see the seeds that are developping. second pic Manipur

post-1964-0-71759200-1411761297_thumb.jppost-1964-0-03680600-1411761251_thumb.jp

Third pic is Butia Paraguayensis X syagrus, this thing is fast and shows that tropical Butiagrus look. Original from Patrick, I got it as a gift from Erwin, thanks!

post-1964-0-96164900-1411761461_thumb.jp

post-1964-0-40177600-1411761640_thumb.jppost-1964-0-33702500-1411761664_thumb.jp

post-1964-0-63883800-1411762387_thumb.jp

Eriospatha x Glaucescens

post-1964-0-50539100-1411762434_thumb.jp

B. Paraguayensis x Parajubaea Cocoides

post-1964-0-96728800-1411762480_thumb.jp

Geminsectus, though one to grow in pot, hope ground will suit it better

post-1964-0-63316500-1411762521_thumb.jp

Eriospatha x Jubaea

post-1964-0-67356900-1411762582_thumb.jp

driveway, still young trachys Winsan, Tesan, misan, Manipur

post-1964-0-74522300-1411762789_thumb.jp

Princeps New Form, probably hybrid with Fortunei but triple fast than original princeps

post-1964-0-05970300-1411762873_thumb.jp

Another Dick Douglas Paraguayensis, but total different look

That's it for now, I will post some updates now and then

If you're planting now, protect everything over the winter.

Great collection!

We will root for you!

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

Thanks all for encouraging words.

My climate is usda zone 8, but the usda zones don't realy work for us here. We might have some very cold days in a row now and then. Last winter it didn't get more cold than 25 F, while the winter before it was 9 F. If it will get that cold, all the borderline plants will be covered by a polytunnel, that works very well. I stopped planting palms at the end of july, There are a lot more plants that I need to plant out, but with winter coming I decided tot wait till next spring again.

Regards Matthijs

Wow your garden is looking fabulous. I'm another admirer of your Jubea, mine is hidden by perennial flowers that one day it will push though and be be the dominate botanical feature.

Thanks Pip, I also like Jubaea. I have that plant for about 5 years now. I bought it in 35 litre pot, when I planted it, it had 230 litre pure roots. Hope that will give it a good start. They are not fast growers, but I guess the heat in Australia will give it a boost to grow out of the flowers fast.

Looks great- I suspect high rainfall? Looks really cool/refreshing- you will have a jungle in a few years for sure. I look forward to seeing how your hybrids will do-

Viva las hybrids!

wxBanner?bannertype=wu_clean2day_cond&pw

Nice collection. But you certainly need that polytunnel there during the cold wintermonths! And good heating as well when you get a real nasty winter! I wander if a palm like Trachycarpus takil is good coldhardy there? I have young ones here so if you want to try some there let me know.

Alexander

Interesting hybrids you have there and looking forward to the progress. Hopefully some mild winters now, as you are in a quite cold spot of our little country.

Southwest

Thanks guys. I will for sure keep you updated. Alexander I have already some Takils. I live quite close to the Gardenpalms nursery so I have acces to them. I think Takil will be good cold hardy over here. If we have an extreme cold day I have to provide some protection when they are still small.

Robin I also like to grow an Washingtonia like you do, that gives it the extra tropical effect. Leve Feyenoord 1!

• 2 weeks later...

Hoi Mattijs,

Great garden you have there. You did a wonderful job (I saw the pictures at the EPS forum just after you moved). You must have of one the widest collection of palms planted out in the Netherlands. Hope we will get a series of mild winters. Veel succes!

Thanks Peter, hope one day my palms and garden will look that great like yours, my trachys are all still small. I also want to add more magnolia grandiflora, I have already Maryland. I was thinking to add the St. George and Edith Bogue. What are the best magnolia's in your experience?

• 4 months later...

Nice collection Mathijs!

Carambeí, 2nd tableland of the State Paraná , south Brazil.

Alt:1030m. Native palms: Queen, B. eriospatha, B. microspadix, Allagoptera leucocalyx , A.campestris, Geonoma schottiana, Trithrinax acanthocoma. Subtr. climate, some frosty nights. No dry season. August: driest month. Rain:1700mm

I am seeking for cold hardy palms!

Will be exciting to see how these hybrids progress over the next few years. It is amazing what can be grown at those latitudes.

David Simms zone 9a on Highway 30a

200 steps from the Gulf in NW Florida

30 ft. elevation and sandy soil

What a beautiful garden with a great collection of palms!

I hope you are aware that you are going to face a lot of work with all those babies. Many of them need protection below -5/-6 degrees celsius plus artificial heating when there is a prolonged frost forecast.

Marcel

Thank you guys. Yes I am aware of the need of protection when we get a heavey winter. But this winter appears to be over and it was quite mild again. As far as I can see all plants surived with minimum protection. Some had a temporary polytunnel or just a roof above them, and in the polytunnel it was quite moist because of the wet ground. Had more damage on frost tender trachycarpus species then on Butias! I will write my more detailed observations over the damage later.

@FLOW I am already selling some of my collection on EPS because I have to many young and double palms to take care of. Maybe there is something in it you like

@Phoenikakias the palm in the second picture is a Butia Eriospatha. I find Eriospatha a very attractive palm

Wow.

You have an awesome collection. Lots of wonderful hybrids which I am very interested in personally. And you are growing them all do well!

Please keep us updated on the progress of your garden.

Thanks for posting the pics

• 2 weeks later...

For what it's worth, the Butia region (Uruguay, Rio Grande do Sul) has some fantastic cold-tolerant orchids and bromeliads. I doubt that any would grow outdoors up there, but if someone has a warm-temperate hothouse like the huge one at Kew...

Fla. climate center: 100-119 days>85 F
USDA 1990 hardiness zone 9B
Current USDA hardiness zone 10a
4 km inland from Indian River; 27º N (equivalent to Brisbane)

Central Orlando's urban heat island may be warmer than us

Thanks Peter, hope one day my palms and garden will look that great like yours, my trachys are all still small. I also want to add more magnolia grandiflora, I have already Maryland. I was thinking to add the St. George and Edith Bogue. What are the best magnolia's in your experience?

I grow Magnolia grandiflora Brackens Brown Beauty from Theelen in Roermond. Its a very good M. grandiflora form and free flowering. Maybe the best M. grandiflora for colder climates like in The Netherlands.

Alexander

• 1 month later...

For what it's worth, the Butia region (Uruguay, Rio Grande do Sul) has some fantastic cold-tolerant orchids and bromeliads. I doubt that any would grow outdoors up there, but if someone has a warm-temperate hothouse like the huge one at Kew...

Please go on Dave....maybe a few pictures of the orchids and bromeliads to which you are referring....anything in the Butia region of South America is interesting for us North Florida folks.

David Simms zone 9a on Highway 30a

200 steps from the Gulf in NW Florida

30 ft. elevation and sandy soil

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks guys. I will for sure keep you updated. Alexander I have already some Takils. I live quite close to the Gardenpalms nursery so I have acces to them. I think Takil will be good cold hardy over here. If we have an extreme cold day I have to provide some protection when they are still small.

Robin I also like to grow an Washingtonia like you do, that gives it the extra tropical effect. Leve Feyenoord 1!

My Trachycarpus takil seedlings have had now had 3 winters with no problems. SIt seems to be one of the best coldhardy palms here.

Alexander

Please go on Dave....maybe a few pictures of the orchids and bromeliads to which you are referring....anything in the Butia region of South America is interesting for us North Florida folks.

I have seen Butia eriospatha in Santa Catarina State, Brasil. They grow there in a sort of open subtropical savanna at arround 800 meters. They get some frost there, but only during the night.

Alexander