IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Largest palm you protect?

jfrye01@live.com

It's nearing that time of year for those of us up north or inland: first freeze is fast upon us. I'm wondering, what is the largest palm YOU protect?? Mine will probably be my 5' Sabal mexicana, followed by my 4' Butia...I talked to a friend in the north Dallas suburbs who was talking about protecting his 30' Washingtonia robusta during VERY cold spells...Apparently, he wraps the trunk with lights and cloth...

El_Dorado.gif

6' Trachy, 5' Robusta, and now a new addition in the ground this year a 5' Sabal Palmetto. Lots of smaller stuff to protect in the ground as well. Variety of Sabals, Pindo palm, smaller European fan palms, Needle Palm, Chinese fan palm(3rd year in the ground)

All will take it's toll on the electric bill with heat and lights that I put around them. hopefully nothing like last winter.

Scott/Omaha

6' Trachy, 5' Robusta, and now a new addition in the ground this year a 5' Sabal Palmetto. Lots of smaller stuff to protect in the ground as well. Variety of Sabals, Pindo palm, smaller European fan palms, Needle Palm, Chinese fan palm(3rd year in the ground)

All will take it's toll on the electric bill with heat and lights that I put around them. hopefully nothing like last winter.

Scott/Omaha

Very nice collection. As far as the electric bill goes, I plan to heat mine only when it gets below 25F or so...they'll have boxes over them, but I won't heat unless I absolutely have to...I'll take advantage of the warm days to water them all and give them fresh air;) Best of luck with all yours, I'll wish for a mild winter for both of us!!;)

El_Dorado.gif

Anything left in the ground outside that is warmed either with Christmas lights or underground heat tape is all on a thermostat (thermocube) or built in. It's just that I have so many....and last Winter as cold as it was, they were on a lot. Some winters though, it never drops to 0F so not much of an issue.

Anything left in the ground outside that is warmed either with Christmas lights or underground heat tape is all on a thermostat (thermocube) or built in. It's just that I have so many....and last Winter as cold as it was, they were on a lot. Some winters though, it never drops to 0F so not much of an issue.

I need to pick up several of those thermocubes...can you buy them at Lowes or Home Depot?? I have about 4 different palms that will need heat...

El_Dorado.gif

I've always bought mine at Menards. They are in the plumbing section along with the heat tape. They run around $16-$18 each

I will protect my butia/jubaea hybrids with Rubbermaid trash cans since it is their first winter (only below 20F (-7C)) or prior to cold snow event and I am going to tie up the fronds on my smaller filifera trio. I have learned to leave these alone.

If it gets worse the plan is to use tarps on everything since they are new plantings.

wxBanner?bannertype=wu_clean2day_cond&pw

Well I am getting back into the hobby.. so no. last year was mild enough- I have a thermocube I purchased years ago but actually never used it. I don't put up lights so I plan to just put a bucket over the palms to keep them dry... I will keep my eye on the weather for sure so I wont rule it out. if its a quick storm.. quick bucket.

W. filifera will just need to be watered and left alone- they are hardy like they say... still need a good microclimate (south wall) here. My opinion is winterizing with fertilizer will work best for them. Plus my large one is too big to do much with anymore (I protected when it was younger but now I don't think it was needed).. Maybe I can wire tie the fronds to see if they will stay greener.. its too big of all problems..

wxBanner?bannertype=wu_clean2day_cond&pw

I protected my washies with plastic 5 gallon buckets from Lowe's last winter...it dropped to 5F. They defoliated, but popped back out in spring!

El_Dorado.gif

My first post here... nice to see some familiar folks.

I'll most likely start to protect mid-Nov, when the low's start to hit -5C or 25 ish. I have my work cut out for me this year.

12' Sabal Palmetto

12'-14' Butia Pindo (see on Youtube)

4' T.Takil

7' Butia Pindo

6' W.Robusta

Handful of smaller needles, sabal minors, agave, sago pups etc. I'm trying my best to keep Thermocube in business, along with the corner store stocking C9's on my behalf... wtf did I get myself into?

Pineapple Dan

Burlington, On. USDA Z6B

Canada

905 anyway you can post or PM me pics of your S. Palmetto. Have all those you listed been in the ground for a while?

Scott/Omaha, NE

I'll most likely start to protect mid-Nov, when the low's start to hit -5C or 25 ish. I have my work cut out for me this year.

12' Sabal Palmetto

4' T.Takil

7' Butia Pindo

6' W.Robusta

Handful of smaller needles, sabal minors, agave, sago pups etc. I'm trying my best to keep Thermocube in business, along with the corner store stocking C9's on my behalf... wtf did I get myself into?

Welcome to PalmTalk!! Best of luck with your palms! I did the same thing, I planted WAYYY too many palms...only 1-2 of which are actually hardy to my zone (7A)...I too would like to see pics of your palms!! Once again, good luck, and may you see a very mild winter;)

El_Dorado.gif

post-10362-0-89113900-1412031066_thumb.j

905 anyway you can post or PM me pics of your S. Palmetto. Have all those you listed been in the ground for a while?

Scott/Omaha, NE

Hi Scott, the large palms have been in the ground now for 2 years. Luckily they survived Wintergeddon 2014.

Here's the Sabal Palmetto

• Upvote 1

Pineapple Dan

Burlington, On. USDA Z6B

Canada

12' Sabal Palmetto

4' T.Takil

7' Butia Pindo

6' W.Robusta

Welcome to PalmTalk!! Best of luck with your palms! I did the same thing, I planted WAYYY too many palms...only 1-2 of which are actually hardy to my zone (7A)...I too would like to see pics of your palms!! Once again, good luck, and may you see a very mild winter;)

Thanks Jfrye! Best of luck to you as well!

Here's a pic or 2.

post-10362-0-96708100-1412031344_thumb.j

• Upvote 1

Pineapple Dan

Burlington, On. USDA Z6B

Canada

Here's the Butia new this year. This will be fun to protect.

I've been told this could very well be the largest private garden Pindo in Canada. Who really knows, However the base of the trunk is measured at 86" around.

Good thread!

post-10362-0-47248300-1412032107_thumb.j

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Pineapple Dan

Burlington, On. USDA Z6B

Canada

Those are beautiful!! Would you mind sharing how you protect?? I get the gist of it, but I don't really know the details (watering, light, etc...) Thanks!

El_Dorado.gif

Thanks Jfrye, appreciate it! I use the box method generally to enclose them. I wrap with frost cloth and C9's plugged into a Thermocube. I managed to place an underground heat cable around the root ball of the smaller Pindo and Palmetto when it dips below 10F. I've learnt that the Pindo's don't mind the total darkness of the enclosures, and when the Spring comes around it doesn't go into shock with the instant light it receives when unraveled.

The Palmetto gets some light because the enclosure is so large. I water twice, end Jan and Feb with a bucket of warm water and Epsom salt.

Hope this helps.post-10362-0-57075100-1412124452_thumb.jpost-10362-0-82576600-1412124477_thumb.j

• Upvote 1

Pineapple Dan

Burlington, On. USDA Z6B

Canada