IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Free Brahea seeds

Phoenikakias

Any updates of the progress made so far? Mine has produced already three strap leaves and has started showing yellow tinges (typical for aculeata).

post-6141-0-57959200-1437203333_thumb.jppost-6141-0-75771500-1437203447_thumb.jppost-6141-0-53974500-1437203373_thumb.jppost-6141-0-19889700-1437203416_thumb.jp

More of mine have popped up - no sign of color yet. (Obviously they grow slower up North) - but they look great and sturdy!

Well done!! Maybe this year you wiil be able to test your skills also on Serenoa repens and Brahea brandegeii...

Just wanted to add that these young plants have a silvery feature which is more obvious in the ones which sprouted in the full sun unlike those sprouting indoors.

Yeah, Konstantinos, I readily accept the challenge :D Best regards

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

IMAG5158_zpsh0xmdcds.jpg

One of mine. Much faster than Armata.

It should be very interesting for me to see how this plant develops further. I have two Brahea seedling growing in the ground after they sprouted naturally on the same spot. They look pretty different from each other but I do not know which is which. One should be aculeata and the other shoun be brandegeei. Based on the difference of growth speed (not necessarily size) I tend to say that the smaller but more advanced in growth stage is the aculeata. But Ante's plant will give the definite answer shortly, as it origines from aculeata seeds collected directly from the infructescence.

The first seedling, which I believe is aculeata. post-6141-0-25598100-1441608178_thumb.jp

The second seedling growing directly next to brandegeei's trunk base, which I believe is also a brandegeei

post-6141-0-83061800-1441608632_thumb.jppost-6141-0-48542800-1441608657_thumb.jp

• 2 years later...

BUMP!   Please post recent pictures of your sprouted plants. After to years they should have started segment division or at least be shortly before it.

• 3 months later...
On 19/9/2017, 17:22:43, Phoenikakias said:

BUMP!   Please post recent pictures of your sprouted plants. After to years they should have started segment division or at least be shortly before it.

Hey,this thread is super interesting,do you have some more brahea seeds that you are interested in sharing.(I would pay the shipping)

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, CroToni said:

Hey,this thread is super interesting,do you have some more brahea seeds that you are interested in sharing.(I would pay the shipping)

Maybe in next spring. 

• 9 months later...