IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

What temp should I move palms inside?

MDPalm

hi,

I am in eastern Maryland and temps are starting to be in the 50's at nights. I have a 8' & 5' Adonidia, a little baby coconut (2'), a 4-5' Foxtail, and a Robellini that are outside (plus some cold hardy palms). Last year I think it was close to or after Thanksgiving before I moved them all in permanently but I don't remember the temps and I didn't have the coconut which I am thinking is the first to need to come in and probably already should?

The problem is I am about to start construction on a sunroom so these trees have a winter home (and so I can buy more) but it's going to be a while before it is done. So until then I will have to keep them in the garage with a grow light, or move then in at night and out during the day so they get light.

I want to say I waited last year until the temps hit the 40's at night before I moved them in and I think there were a few times that I brought them in for the night and then moved them outside. I guess I am looking for the temperatures where they really should not be outside at night. I don't mind moving them in and out but its a pain, especially the larger Adonidia that is in a 30" pot.

Thanks.....

My rule for tropicals is anything under 40, but it depends on the individual plant really. Some things start going south at 50, and some of the ultra tropicals it can be as high as 60..

Oh, and that P robellini, if you can keep the frost off of it is good down to 32 easily.

In my post I sometimes express "my" opinion. Warning, it may differ from "your" opinion. If so, please do not feel insulted, just state your own if you wish. Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or any other damages

I live in similar zone and have around 135 palms of various sizes from cold hardy to tropical. I just watch the forecast like a hawk and I try to keep stuff out as late as I can always knowing while we might get a few oddball cool nights we'll have plenty of warm days as well. So far, lowest temp we've seen already this fall was 38F Only thing I brought in was Blue Lantan, but it's right back outside as I write this soaking up some 75F sun.

I will say I start to pull some of the palms that are further away from the house(most all mine are in pots) up closer to the house where there is a bit more residual heat from the house, concrete patio and landscaping rock.

Thanks. I have most of my palms patio up close to the house and I guess I really should move my temperature senor there instead of further away on a tree.

Would night after night of getting to 40's or 50 get to it over just an occasional night that low? Right now its 72 outside and going to a low of 51 tonight. But that looks to be the coldest (so far) for the next 10 days. This weekend looks like 80's with lows in the 60's.

I guess a plan is to move them inside when it starts getting to 45 or regularly, maybe the coconut a little sooner?

The robellini is right by the garage door, so its no trouble to move inside. It has stayed in my dining room the past 2 winters along with the fox tail. And I am really surprised at how well the fox tail has held up. Doesn't seem to grow inside but doesn't seem to decline either.

For me its when the average H/L is 60F/40F.

When it hit that number thats when I bring my palms inside. (Around late Oct. for me.) Thats also when the rainy season starts here and the growing season is over. But like others have said, keeping an eye on the nighttime lows are really important.

Edited by Palm crazy

i give anyone that has to bring plants in and out of storage alot of credit, as much as i love my plants i don't think i could do that

i give anyone that has to bring plants in and out of storage alot of credit, as much as i love my plants i don't think i could do that

I'm with Kenny. I don't typically even go outside to cover anything up if temps are likely to fall below 32F. I have one palm inside but it (Areca vestiara) is inside all year as a big house plant.

Jim in Los Altos, CA  SF Bay Area 37.34N- 122.13W- 190' above sea level

zone 10a/9b

sunset zone 16

300+ palms, 90+ species in the ground

Las Palmas Design

Facebook Page

Las Palmas Design & Associates

Elegant Homes and Gardens

I rarely put anything indoors. perhaps newly planted seedlings.

They go inside after the first cold night with lows below 40f.... about Thanksgiving.

Modesto, CA USDA 9b

July/August average 95f/63f

Dec/Jan average 55f/39f

Average lowest winter temp 27f

Record low temp 18f

Record high temp 113f

I'm with Kenny. I don't typically even go outside to cover anything up if temps are likely to fall below 32F. I have one palm inside but it (Areca vestiara) is inside all year as a big house plant.

Wow Jim, can you post a picture of your indoor A. vestiara? How is it growing, and how do you care for it (soil, water, insects)? I'm fascinated by indoor tropicals that have a hard time growing outdoors, but I've had trouble with proper watering and mites, and that's just for small plants.

About the only thing I have ever brought in during the winter was my mangosteen tree. But after losing a six foot durian tree, and a similar sized jackfruit I do throw "frost blankets" over my more sensitive fruit trees and palms during the winter. But it is relatively easy. I simply drape the Agribon blankets over the plant and hold them down with rocks around the edges.

I am going to try a couple of coconuts, and a couple lipstick palms, with a similar approach. Heck if I can get mangosteens and durians through the winter with a blanket then why not a coconut?

• 6 years later...

I recently purchased a Majestic Palm Tree , it's 6 feet tall his frongs  stretches out 5 ft  I kept bringing it in and out so I keep my eye on the temperatures at night longs it's above 45 degrees at night its companion a 4 foot Queen Fern her frongs stretches out 3 to 4 feet long what a queen