IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

A blank canvas to landscape in Southern California.

OverGrown

Here’s what I’ve been thinking about planting out front in place of the agaves.  

20D0AA28-C80A-4D00-A39F-6583DD89ED96.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

LA | NY | OC

New planting.  Double dypsis decipiens... hopefully I’ll have cool shrub in 12 years.

21DC3C31-6150-4E44-8F14-20FF00E5D4CE.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

LA | NY | OC

Most likely going to plant something between the crepe myrtle and cordylines.

984DAFE9-EBB5-4F00-9441-2A68BD3B17F9.jpeg

LA | NY | OC

This decaryi accomplishing the exact look I was going for.

F30D802D-3605-4A48-A148-D3318C5C18A7.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

LA | NY | OC

Last pic entering the back yard.  Growth for me here in North Orange County with full sun exposure seems to be about half to a third the rate of what others are getting who are closer to the coast.  This is despite a twice annual fertilization and consistent watering.  It’s not easy but for me creating a quasi urban oasis is worth it. 

27279E3C-89EB-4607-A392-2E9AEE4F0EE3.jpeg

• Like 1

LA | NY | OC

35 minutes ago, OverGrown said:

Yard looks GREAT!  Like the idea of replacing the Agave w/ the Cycads. Much less maintenance than the Agave in the long run, and better visuals when viewing that area, imo.

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Hilo Jason said:

Looking good. It’s always nice to see updates from your place. 

Thanks Jason.  I just saw your Hawaii build thread... making great progress over there. 

LA | NY | OC

17 hours ago, OverGrown said:

Last pic entering the back yard.  Growth for me here in North Orange County with full sun exposure seems to be about half to a third the rate of what others are getting who are closer to the coast.  This is despite a twice annual fertilization and consistent watering.  It’s not easy but for me creating a quasi urban oasis is worth it. 

27279E3C-89EB-4607-A392-2E9AEE4F0EE3.jpeg

I'm not doing it, but a secret to speeding up growth is fertilizer injection in the watering system.

5 hours ago, rprimbs said:

I'm not doing it, but a secret to speeding up growth is fertilizer injection in the watering system.

DD calls that "Fertigation" or "to fertigate".  

5 year high 42.2C/108F (07/06/2018)--5 year low 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)--Lowest recent/current winter: 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)

Just found this thread a couple hours ago and I've been mesmerized watching your garden, and your property evolve. Great palms, and I love the overall vibe you've created! keep it up!

On 7/10/2018 at 9:47 AM, OverGrown said:

Furcraea  macdougalii has grown quite a bit

as did the aloe hercules 

IMG_2754.JPG

IMG_2756.JPG

I was just getting caught up on the thread so started a little further back.  The Aloe now Aloidendron looks more like the Goliath hybrid than the Hercules hybrid.  The leaves look disproportionate large to the trunk for Hercules. While I'm not growing Goliath, I have grown Aloidendron Hercules, removing one because I planted it to close to a wall, and keeping the better placed one.  Both are beautiful trees, so no loss.  If anything I think the Goliath hybrid is a bit less common than Hercules these days.

33.0782 North -117.305 West  at 72 feet elevation

On 6/22/2019 at 2:58 PM, OverGrown said:

Nice choice for the replacement.  I zoomed in on the photo as much as possible to get an id and the 3 closest to the left all appear to be Encephalartos arenarius but I wasn't sure about the rest.  For a grouping in a planter like that mixing up the leaf color would look nice.  I know there is a preference for the blue species, but I like some mixing so the blues have something to work off.  Hard to tell the color on these too as they could be have some blue, but mixing in a trispinosis or lehmanii on the blue end and something very green like turneri or one of the woodii hybrids will give you a deep green as well as variety of leaf form.  I guess it just depends on how much space you have.  I will be the first to admit that I've planted more than one cycad too close to another.  Don't forget to leave enough space between your cycad plantings so you can periodically get in and remove weeds without having to wear full body armor! :winkie:

33.0782 North -117.305 West  at 72 feet elevation

On 6/22/2019 at 3:12 PM, OverGrown said:

Still enjoying the movement of the feather grass

982AB641-9983-47D3-87F0-238AE1B45755.jpeg

Your neighbors are not gonna be happy.

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Gonzer said:

As much as I like this grass  myself, Gonzer has a good point as I've also seen it attempt to spread itself around where it had been planted in commercial landscapes back in the bay area. If, in the future it trys to do the same thing there, two good alternatives that will provide the same effect but aren't as prone to seed alot:  "Blonde Ambition" Blue Gramma Grass, or Little Bluestem ( Schizachyrium scoparium) particularly any of the really blue forms.. Bluish - steely blue during the warm season, turning various shades of reddish, orangish, and/or copper in the fall/winter, even in CA. Never had any issues w/it seeding much beyond where planted back in San Jose. Would look awesome when combined with anything with really blue or silver -colored foliage, esp. during the winter months. 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/23/2019 at 9:17 AM, rprimbs said:

Up to this point, I’ve added truck loads of compost for the entire property twice a year with the idea that it would leach the necessary nutrients.  I was also supplementing with slow release granular and spikes.  I may try fertigation one day... I recently started using liquid nutrients so we’ll see how that does.

LA | NY | OC

On 6/27/2019 at 8:44 PM, yezishu said:

Just found this thread a couple hours ago and I've been mesmerized watching your garden, and your property evolve. Great palms, and I love the overall vibe you've created! keep it up!

Thank you.  I appreciate it. 

LA | NY | OC

On 6/28/2019 at 5:33 PM, Tracy said:

I was just getting caught up on the thread so started a little further back.  The Aloe now Aloidendron looks more like the Goliath hybrid than the Hercules hybrid.  The leaves look disproportionate large to the trunk for Hercules. While I'm not growing Goliath, I have grown Aloidendron Hercules, removing one because I planted it to close to a wall, and keeping the better placed one.  Both are beautiful trees, so no loss.  If anything I think the Goliath hybrid is a bit less common than Hercules these days.

I’m always wondering if the weight of the growing heads will snap off of the trunk but it has held strong.  I’m getting leaning in the trunk however. 

LA | NY | OC

On 6/28/2019 at 5:44 PM, Tracy said:

Nice choice for the replacement.  I zoomed in on the photo as much as possible to get an id and the 3 closest to the left all appear to be Encephalartos arenarius but I wasn't sure about the rest.  For a grouping in a planter like that mixing up the leaf color would look nice.  I know there is a preference for the blue species, but I like some mixing so the blues have something to work off.  Hard to tell the color on these too as they could be have some blue, but mixing in a trispinosis or lehmanii on the blue end and something very green like turneri or one of the woodii hybrids will give you a deep green as well as variety of leaf form.  I guess it just depends on how much space you have.  I will be the first to admit that I've planted more than one cycad too close to another.  Don't forget to leave enough space between your cycad plantings so you can periodically get in and remove weeds without having to wear full body armor! :winkie:

Point well taken.  I picked up this Villosus to incorporate into that area instead.  The blues were all purchased as trispinosus grown in tight quarters.  I’ve gifted a few of them and picked up another lehmannii I have yet to decide where to plant. 

E834C843-7B94-48EB-B9A6-A71736076F3A.jpeg

LA | NY | OC

On 6/29/2019 at 3:46 AM, Gonzer said:

I was initially concerned about that as well but 4 years in, while keeping up with maintenance and no issues so far.  

• Like 1

LA | NY | OC