IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

A blank canvas to landscape in Southern California.

OverGrown

On 7/2/2018, 11:15:21, Matt in OC said:

Looking good Peter!

Thanks Matt, how's your place coming along? I bet it's a jungle by now.

LA | NY | OC

13 hours ago, Hilo Jason said:

Wow, thanks for the update!  Your place looks great!  

Thank you Jason!  It's a lot of work for one person so I'm glad others appreciate it as well.

LA | NY | OC

12 hours ago, Palm Tree Jim said:

Great update!

Your garden has really developed well.

Thanks Jim,  it's finally becoming something and as I look back on the old pictures, I can't believe how much work it's taken to get to this point of simple enjoyment. 

LA | NY | OC

Closer look at the happenings...cycas pectinata in mid flush 

IMG_2709.JPG

IMG_2711.JPG

• Upvote 2

LA | NY | OC

Encephalartos lehmanii and agave americana mediopicta alba

IMG_2712.JPG

IMG_2714.JPG

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

LA | NY | OC

Bismarkia nobilis normally more blue but has been getting rinsed every time I have the sprinklers on

And we've been getting a lot of bananas this season.  

IMG_2715.JPG

IMG_2716.JPG

• Upvote 3

LA | NY | OC

More pisang klotek /Ceylon bananas although with more stretched growth

IMG_2717.JPG

IMG_2718.JPG

• Upvote 1

LA | NY | OC

Kalanchoe's now border parts of the track that were grown and propagated from a single cutting 

IMG_2719.JPG

IMG_2720.JPG

• Upvote 1

LA | NY | OC

First palm was gifted as dypsis plumosa although I'm not sure anymore with its compact growth.  I'm thinking it might be a hybrid with decaryi but have no idea.

second pic was of a plant purchased as foxy lady but is turning out more like a foxtail. 

What do you guys think of these two?

IMG_2722.JPG

IMG_2723.JPG

Edited by OverGrown
  • Upvote 1

LA | NY | OC

Here's the Bujubea hybrid today that a few of us picked up a couple years ago from eBay coming out of Florida 

IMG_2752.JPG

IMG_2753.JPG

• Upvote 2

LA | NY | OC

Furcraea  macdougalii has grown quite a bit

as did the aloe hercules 

IMG_2754.JPG

IMG_2756.JPG

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

LA | NY | OC

This Cherokee crape myrtle continues to be a favorite among the neighborhood ladies...

IMG_2759.JPG

IMG_2758.JPG

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

LA | NY | OC

And definitely a show stopper when in bloom.  I have a group of ladies from a neighborhood across the way that drive by every summer to see these in bloom.  

IMG_2762.JPG

IMG_2760.JPG

• Upvote 3

LA | NY | OC

23 hours ago, OverGrown said:

First palm was gifted as dypsis plumosa although I'm not sure anymore with its compact growth.  I'm thinking it might be a hybrid with decaryi but have no idea.

second pic was of a plant purchased as foxy lady but is turning out more like a foxtail. 

What do you guys think of these two?

IMG_2722.JPG

IMG_2723.JPG

I bought several "fake ladies" over the years that all ended up being foxtails. I learned an expensive lesson to wait until these hybrids are at least a 3 gallon size before buying them. Look for the wide droopy / non plumose leaf. At least foxtails are still nice looking palms. 

As for the Plumosa it looks like it could be Dypsis Plumosa to me. Although the leaflets do look a bit too stiff to me. But hard to tell for sure at that size. Keep us posted as it grows. 

Everything is looking so good. How did you do with the recent heat wave there?

8 hours ago, Hilo Jason said:

I bought several "fake ladies" over the years that all ended up being foxtails. I learned an expensive lesson to wait until these hybrids are at least a 3 gallon size before buying them. Look for the wide droopy / non plumose leaf. At least foxtails are still nice looking palms. 

As for the Plumosa it looks like it could be Dypsis Plumosa to me. Although the leaflets do look a bit too stiff to me. But hard to tell for sure at that size. Keep us posted as it grows. 

Everything is looking so good. How did you do with the recent heat wave there?

The recent heat wave scorched quite a few older fronds and took out a handful of more sensitive plants despite maintaining saturated soils throughout the day.  

LA | NY | OC

• 3 months later...

Santa Ana winds knocked over one of my trees. I knew better and should have trimmed the canopy but I was greedy for an abundance of blooms come spring time.  The tree has since been righted and trimmed back. 

IMG_4162.JPG

IMG_4161.JPG

LA | NY | OC

• 2 weeks later...

This was purchased as a struggling two leafer whitelockii (as seen on page 4 of this thread)  and here it is today...

IMG_4426.JPG

IMG_4427.JPG

• Upvote 1

LA | NY | OC

An interesting thing I've noticed is that the areas that are neglected and where I plant the less than premium specimens seem to do well on their own....

IMG_4430.JPG

IMG_4429.JPG

• Upvote 2

LA | NY | OC

Your garden looks already so nice, give it a few more years and it will be jaw dropping!

What a great work you did, really really nice!

Please keep the updates coming -

best regards from Okinawa

Lars

18 hours ago, palmfriend said:

Your garden looks already so nice, give it a few more years and it will be jaw dropping!

What a great work you did, really really nice!

Please keep the updates coming -

best regards from Okinawa

Lars

Thank you Lars,  it's been quite the journey getting the garden to this point.  There have been so many mixed emotions, editing of plants and battles with weeds bugs and other critters... I will be looking forward to the next couple years as the plants begin to creep over head. 

Best,

Peter

LA | NY | OC

This picture was taken Thursday at sunset her in the LA & OC area...It was one of the most colorful sunsets we've had in awhile. My house's silhouette frames it out.

IMG_4498.JPG

• Upvote 1

LA | NY | OC

• 7 months later...
On 11/8/2018 at 8:30 PM, OverGrown said:

I've decided to rework a section in the front...stay tuned. 

IMG_4543.JPG

Any updates on this project?

On 6/21/2019 at 11:35 AM, Palm Tree Jim said:

Any updates on this project?

Hey Jim, 

I planted some agave americana mediopicta albas   but may swap them out again for some cycads.   The whole idea was to minimize maintenance in this area.  The older I get, the more my lower back aches from having to maintain the feather grass.  

Shark mural was recently painted over as its south facing exposure was finally showing its wear.   

40989905-0E32-49C6-894F-447E9B3F6584.jpeg

• Like 1

LA | NY | OC