IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

A blank canvas to landscape in Southern California.

OverGrown

25g Dypsis ambositrae went into the ground yesterday under the cover of a young archontopheonix alexandrae and pisang ceylon bananas.  It is currently one of the shadiest spots in my back yard.  I have been acclimating this palm on the north side of my house for about six months.. it has opened one frond, the one most exposed to sun and is currently pushing another spear.  It has been planted in the same position/exposure as it was when on the north side of my house...it will receive at least another hour or two of sun in this new area.   

IMG_0176.jpg

tucked in behind some cordylines...

IMG_0175.jpg

IMG_0174.jpg

IMG_0173.jpg

• Upvote 2

LA | NY | OC

I've also replanted this dypsis decipiens to replace another that had rotted out...this one was the one originally from the front of the house next to the carport.  I've mound planted it about 12 inches above grade.   I have since removed about 9 green waste bins worth of the blue chalk stick ground cover...they are thriving but I'm perpetually editing so I am looking to make room for more plantings and/or negative space.

IMG_0179.jpg

IMG_0180.jpg

This is the first time my cycas pectinata has flushed for me...

IMG_0182.jpg

IMG_0183.jpg

Lots of work been going on lately and still a lot to go...stay tuned!

• Upvote 6

LA | NY | OC

Other work on the house has included remodeling one of three bathrooms.  I had a shower valve fail and I could not find a replacement due to the age of the fixture.  In an attempt to do swap out, I discovered that my combo tub and shower enclosure had been mudded in and everything would have to be ripped out. I figured it was time to update it anyway so I demo'd everything down to the studs.  This is the end result after three weeks. 

IMG_0092_1.jpg

Glass mosaic feature wall w/ niche.

IMG_0093.jpg

IMG_0096_1.jpg

1'x4' non-slip flooring

IMG_0094_1.jpg

1'x2' porcelain tile on all walls, larger medicine cabinets for storage, shallow vanity/sink

IMG_0095.jpg

IMG_0099.jpg

• Upvote 6

LA | NY | OC

• 2 months later...

I take back everything I said about my garden being less maintenance than a pool.  There is considerable maintenance in terms of fertilization, pruning, transplanting and other edits...I've been getting excellent growth this past season and have stepped up the watering big time. 

• Upvote 2

LA | NY | OC

20 hours ago, OverGrown said:

I take back everything I said about my garden being less maintenance than a pool.  There is considerable maintenance in terms of fertilization, pruning, transplanting and other edits...I've been getting excellent growth this past season and have stepped up the watering big time. 

HA!

It's a labor of love.....

On 9/8/2017, 6:25:48, Palm Tree Jim said:

HA!

It's a labor of love.....

lol...killing me slowly!...and with a recent back injury I'm starting to dread the work.

• Upvote 1

LA | NY | OC

• 4 months later...

Bump. Please update with pictures. You are building a lovely garden and we would like to see the end product. 

Tracy

Stuart, Florida

Zone 10a

So many palms, so little room

I think of gardens like hair, you can let it (them) grow out and cut it (maintain it) all at once every once and a while or you can cut it (maintain it) every few weeks or whenever. When it is cut all at once after a long time it is harder to do but you do it less often. But when it is cut often it is less work but you have to do it more.  

Edited by PalmTreeDude

PalmTreeDude

• 5 months later...
On 1/14/2018, 7:20:16, Tracy S said:

Bump. Please update with pictures. You are building a lovely garden and we would like to see the end product. 

Hi Tracy.  It's been awhile since I've checked in on Palmtalk.  I will have lots of updates to show.  Stay tuned.

LA | NY | OC

On 1/15/2018, 6:09:46, PalmTreeDude said:

I think of gardens like hair, you can let it (them) grow out and cut it (maintain it) all at once every once and a while or you can cut it (maintain it) every few weeks or whenever. When it is cut all at once after a long time it is harder to do but you do it less often. But when it is cut often it is less work but you have to do it more.  

Growth on this garden has been overwhelming to say the least.  I have to employ both strategies to keep it nice and tight.  These days I'm motivated by kids parties and get togethers to really tackle the maintenance. 

LA | NY | OC

036CC304-E0E7-467C-89C0-15E0A26260E2.jpg

Bottom picture was from last week.

Edited by OverGrown
  • Upvote 5

LA | NY | OC

Finally got around to finishing the two other bathrooms

IMG_1710.JPG

IMG_1711.JPG

IMG_1712.JPG

• Upvote 3

LA | NY | OC

Came across some Thermory wood (heat treated North American Ash) and finished my wall topper not too long ago 

IMG_2569.JPG

• Upvote 2

LA | NY | OC

Pisano klotek / Ceylon bananas have grown in providing much needed shade and palms are filling in  slowly but steadily. 

IMG_2519.JPG

IMG_2520.JPG

• Upvote 3

LA | NY | OC

You can see I removed the bambusa vittata that once occupied this corner (2nd pic).  It took 4 days to dig it out by hand.  It wasn't necessary anymore for privacy and covering up eyesores as the other plants closer to the house were starting to do the same job as they grow in.  

IMG_2527.JPG

IMG_2528.JPG

• Upvote 2

LA | NY | OC

Three different forms of encephalartos horridus (classic, wide leaf and razor wire)are featured in the hottest, driest part of the yard.  

Second pic is looking south back at the house

IMG_2529.JPG

IMG_2530.JPG

• Upvote 4

LA | NY | OC

Looking  slightly south east in the first pic and west in the second

IMG_2531.JPG

IMG_2532.JPG

• Upvote 3

LA | NY | OC

Looking southwest in the first pic 

Looking east in the second

IMG_2533.JPG

IMG_2535.JPG

• Upvote 2

LA | NY | OC

Waited a long time for this.  It only gets better from here on out, I hope. 

IMG_2544.JPG

IMG_2545.JPG

• Upvote 1

LA | NY | OC

Cyphopheonix elegans still moving along albeit painfully slow. 

IMG_2554.JPG

• Upvote 1

LA | NY | OC

Lehmanii and plicatillis

Second pic is of the decaryi I got from Matt a few years ago

IMG_2558.JPG

IMG_2565.JPG

• Upvote 3

LA | NY | OC

The flexibility in the garden's original design continues to prove itself. 

IMG_2352.JPG

IMG_2372.JPG

• Upvote 1

LA | NY | OC

Great progress. Looks amazing. And how in the world can you manage to keep your plants safe from the pack of powerful doggies? I have a pack of wolves (4 huskies) that love to run. I have to protect prized plants to keep the dogs from breaking them or running into them.

• Upvote 1

Gorgeous. You have a great collection of cycads and palms.thanks for sharing.

• Upvote 1

Tracy

Stuart, Florida

Zone 10a

So many palms, so little room

3 hours ago, Josue Diaz said:

Great progress. Looks amazing. And how in the world can you manage to keep your plants safe from the pack of powerful doggies? I have a pack of wolves (4 huskies) that love to run. I have to protect prized plants to keep the dogs from breaking them or running into them.

Thanks Josue,  they pretty much destroy the grass so I stay on top of reseeding, fertilizing, etc. to keep it looking it's best.  From time to time I restrict the dogs to a dog run to allow it to recover.   My dogs get to free roam the yard during the day and sleep in their kennels at night.  They have learned to avoid the spiked plants but they still kick mulch all over the track from running.  I let that slide because part of my daily routine is to hand water and I hose the track off anyway. 

• Upvote 1

LA | NY | OC

3 hours ago, Tracy S said:

Gorgeous. You have a great collection of cycads and palms.thanks for sharing.

Thanks Tracy.  It's been fun and relaxing acquiring these plants.

LA | NY | OC