IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

A blank canvas to landscape in Southern California.

OverGrown

On 1/25/2017, 9:42:45, BS Man about Palms said:

You mean hunting for one to run down to race? ;)  I like unique and unusual.. Thus a palm tree addiction and TVRs.. lol

lol...we can race for pinks or rare dypsis B)??

IMG_8979.jpg

• Upvote 1

LA | NY | OC

On 1/26/2017, 6:43:02, palmfriend said:

That`s pretty cool! This one looks like a formula one racer comparing to a usual one...:greenthumb: However, I really appreciate to let the kids 

have fun on the track!

Btw, we are BBQing here a few times through the year (as well), mostly with international couples stranded somehow on this island -

and it is always fun with all those kids around! Most of our friend`s kids (and our ones) are still very young (1 to 6 years old) - easy to handle so far -

but I guess quite soon we have got to offer something more "interesting"...B)

I sincerely hope all your palms and other plants are doing well despite the frost -

best regards

palmfriend

Thanks, my kids love the space and utilize it well...a path/track draws people further into the garden to appreciate the gallery of plants and the different angles of the landscape.  I love that it is less costly, less liability and less maintenance than a pool...I still think the garden can use an architectural water feature on a grand scale but being financially responsible does not allow for it at the moment.  Up to this point we have had three consecutive days of frost and from what I've seen the effects aren't too bad but time will tell.

Best,

Peter

• Upvote 1

LA | NY | OC

On 1/29/2017, 9:37:52, Josh-O said:

have you had any noticeable damage?

So on 1/24, 1/25 & 1/26/17 we had three consecutive days of frost, the most I've seen in the three winters that I've been here...I would say things were minor...which surprises me because I thought everything was toast.  Pictures to follow;

foxy lady; slight yellowing & spotting

IMG_8983.jpg

Ravenala Madagascariensis got it bad...it was in the ground one year from a 1g

IMG_8982.jpg

kentiopsis pyriformis planted out from a 1g about a month, un-fazed. 

IMG_8970.jpg

• Upvote 1

LA | NY | OC

dypsis slick willie/bef and ravenea julietae in the ground one year from a 5g...un-fazed. 

IMG_8969.jpg

dypsis pembana looking good. 2 years in the ground from a 1g.

IMG_8968.jpg

minor spotting on another foxy lady planted a couple months from a 5g.

IMG_8967.jpg

cyphopheonix elegans which fried last winter from sun and cold came back and was looking tough this winter...this was the larger of the two I had in the ground..the smaller one didn't make it through last winter

IMG_8965.jpg

• Upvote 1

LA | NY | OC

And here are all the recently planted dypsis leptocheilos... some brown tipping from the transport and/or sunburn.. minor spotting on a frond here and there..

IMG_8964.jpg

the largest one looks the worst but I believe it has more to do with sunburn than the cold as it was grown in deep shade...

IMG_8963.jpg

This frond is from 15g lepto I acquired the year before...

IMG_8962.jpg

• Upvote 1

LA | NY | OC

last two teddy bear palms;

IMG_8960.jpg

IMG_8961.jpg

I lost an encephalartos kisambo due to rot from the three consistent weeks of rain and moisture.. I will try to post pics later as they seem to have not loaded.

• Upvote 2

LA | NY | OC

10 hours ago, OverGrown said:

Thanks, my kids love the space and utilize it well...a path/track draws people further into the garden to appreciate the gallery of plants and the different angles of the landscape.  I love that it is less costly, less liability and less maintenance than a pool...I still think the garden can use an architectural water feature on a grand scale but being financially responsible does not allow for it at the moment.  Up to this point we have had three consecutive days of frost and from what I've seen the effects aren't too bad but time will tell.

Best,

Peter

Peter,

Thank you very much for yor kind reply -  I am currently creating a kind of a jungle path in our yard as well where the kids will (hopefully) have some

fun with exploring exotic plants and flowers in a jungle like atmosphere - so, roughly spoken it is probably the same idea without a race track,

time will tell if it is going to work ;)

IMG_8963.jpg

I really hope this beauty is going to make it (through), D. leptocheilos are one of my favorites, your Ravenala Madagascariensis might be a different case...

PS:

10 hours ago, OverGrown said:

IMG_8979.jpg

A really nice one, your AMG as well - but back home I unsparingly belonged to our local brand, the Bavarian Motor Factories (BMW) faction ....

- no offense! ;)

best regards

Lars

Edited by palmfriend

13 hours ago, OverGrown said:

last two teddy bear palms;

IMG_8960.jpg

IMG_8961.jpg

I lost an encephalartos kisambo due to rot from the three consistent weeks of rain and moisture.. I will try to post pics later as they seem to have not loaded.

not bad at all. You must of had a short durational event?

your garden looks awesome. I need to get ioff my butt and update my garden thread :)

Carlsbad, California Zone 10 B on the hill (402 ft. elevation)

Sunset zone 24

How cold did you get? It's hard for me to think you got frost last week! We haven't had frost since that handful of nights in December. That's encouraging to hear about the foxy lady and dypsis Bef.

5 hours ago, Jdiaz31089 said:

How cold did you get? It's hard for me to think you got frost last week! We haven't had frost since that handful of nights in December. That's encouraging to hear about the foxy lady and dypsis Bef.

Weather forecast had us at a low of 38f.  

LA | NY | OC

Here is the missing kentiopsis pyriformis picture from Bob's garden...I hope I can get them to work at my place as I think they are one of the best looking palms.

IMG_8271-1.jpg

and here is that encephalartos kisambo that rotted out with the onslaught of storms

IMG_8834.jpg

IMG_8835.jpg

• Upvote 1

LA | NY | OC

On 2/2/2017, 6:46:23, OverGrown said:

Best,

Peter

It's a brilliant idea!  You wouldn't want to pave the whole area, but the 'track' gives the kids a great place to ride their tricycles and bikes!  If our property were a little more level I would do that for sure.

On 2/2/2017, 6:33:50, OverGrown said:

lol...we can race for pinks or rare dypsis B)??

IMG_8979.jpg

If I had access to a late model TVR it would be an interesting matchup... But you beating up on my poor defenseless 49 year old car would not be fair...it only has 250hp and weighs 2300 pounds... and fragile... and rarer than any Dypsis I own.. B)  Sweet looking ride you have there though.. :)

tvr_inks_new_sportscar_deal_with.jpg.046<-- Later model TVR Sagaris

If you had a stock 68 Porsche, versus my stock 68 TVR Tuscan V8... that would be fun too..

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

15 hours ago, OverGrown said:

Here is the missing kentiopsis pyriformis picture from Bob's garden...I hope I can get them to work at my place as I think they are one of the best looking palms.

IMG_8271-1.jpg

and here is that encephalartos kisambo that rotted out with the onslaught of storms

IMG_8834.jpg

IMG_8835.jpg

Was it the mix the cycad was in that caused the rot?

Not enough drainage from all the rain?

To bad......that caudex looks like it was a decent size.

11 hours ago, Palm Tree Jim said:

Was it the mix the cycad was in that caused the rot?

Not enough drainage from all the rain?

To bad......that caudex looks like it was a decent size.

The kisambo was planted in the ground for about a year in amended clay soil...I believe the soil stayed too consistently moist over the last month and a half that caused it to rot out.

LA | NY | OC

On 2/3/2017, 7:57:32, rprimbs said:

It's a brilliant idea!  You wouldn't want to pave the whole area, but the 'track' gives the kids a great place to ride their tricycles and bikes!  If our property were a little more level I would do that for sure.

Thanks. It also works wonders when you want them to burn energy and sleep better for their naps...I usually get them to run a couple times in one direction and then a few times in the other.  I also figure that when the kids outgrow it, it will remain a nice spacious walkway under the canopy of palms. 

LA | NY | OC

Can someone identify this palm for me?  I purchased it as one of nine 1g dypsis leptocheilos but it was the only one that grew with vigor and hasn't stopped since..I'm thinking it might be a tri-bear hybrid.

IMG_8966-1.jpg

IMG_8988.jpg

IMG_8987.jpg

IMG_8986.jpg

• Upvote 2

LA | NY | OC

• 2 weeks later...

We are in the middle of a storm here in Southern California which means its time for some updates... Here is final damage report from the three days of frost about three weeks ago and the two fronds that got it the worst

IMG_8996.jpg

IMG_8997.jpg

Also with the recently laid down compost and moisture we've been getting from this wet winter, I've had mushrooms sprouting throughout the garden.

IMG_9082.jpg

IMG_9083.jpg

• Upvote 2

LA | NY | OC

About a month ago I decided to add this step in a transition area in the front yard between the motor court and the walkway to the backyard that was getting foot traffic and being used as shortcut to the sidewalk.

IMG_8888.jpg

A couple weeks ago a neighbor of mine was cleaning up the side of his yard so I donated some plants to the cause...

IMG_8887.jpg

IMG_8886.jpg

IMG_8885.jpg

IMG_8884.jpg

• Upvote 4

LA | NY | OC

I've mentioned before that the work I've been doing to my place has a positive effect on the neighborhood.  Here is another neighbor from  across the street with their charming new curb appeal...a combination of spanish lavender and pink roses in front of a white picket fence

IMG_8832.jpg

other drought tolerant shrubs 

IMG_8831.jpg

IMG_8830.jpg

IMG_8829.jpg

IMG_8828.jpg

Edited by OverGrown
  • Upvote 3

LA | NY | OC

the crib as of a week ago.  I decided to trim back the remaining pink muhly grasses flush with the ground to achieve a cleaner look and they seem to be bouncing back with no problems.  The mexican feather grass is looking nice and lush.

FullSizeRender-9.jpg

The other thing I should mention is that I think it's pretty awesome that I encounter a random great white shark swimming in the landscape as I drive down the street and up to the house...

FullSizeRender-10.jpg

• Upvote 5

LA | NY | OC

On 2/17/2017, 6:35:39, Ben in Norcal said:

Looking good!  Needs more palms though.

Thanks, I plan on doing a few palm runs this coming week and hopefully I find something of size.   I already have plenty of smaller palms in the ground which I know will have to be edited at some point down the line. 

• Upvote 2

LA | NY | OC

8 hours ago, OverGrown said:

Thanks, I plan on doing a few palm runs this coming week and hopefully I find something of size.   I already have plenty of smaller palms in the ground which I know will have to be edited at some point down the line. 

Sounds like time for a visit to Josh!

Ben Rogers

On the border of Concord & Clayton in the East Bay hills - Elev 387 ft 37.95 °N, 121.94 °W

My back yard weather station: http://www.wunderground.com/cgi-bin/findweather/hdfForecast?query=37.954%2C-121.945&sp=KCACONCO37

• 2 weeks later...

I've been getting some incredible color and moments in the garden lately...

delosperma cooperi

IMG_9344.jpg

IMG_9343.jpg

IMG_9345.jpg

IMG_9346.jpg

IMG_9347.jpg

• Upvote 2

LA | NY | OC

I love walking the garden in the morning and catching moments like this...

morning sun backlighting fronds of an ambositrae

IMG_9296.jpg

or in the afternoon when it backlights an aloe plicatilis and makes it glow...sorry my iphone pics don't do it justice...once the garden matures a bit I'll pull out the professional dslr

IMG_9350.jpg

Edited by OverGrown
  • Upvote 4

LA | NY | OC

After some consideration for this planting area which once housed a dypsis decipiens, I decided to swap it out to dypsis decaryi for some immediate gratification and reliability...I felt a decipiens would just take too long to get any size and function out of it coupled with the idea that they could just one day croak after all the time invested, it was just not worth it.   I'm much happier with this decaryi in its place. 

IMG_9363.jpg

IMG_9362.jpg

IMG_9361.jpg

• Upvote 3

LA | NY | OC

Keep the triangle a bit on the dry side. It will like the heat and get big fast. Really big, really fast.

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

9 hours ago, Palm Tree Jim said:

Looking good.....like the placement of the decaryi.

Thanks Jim.  The difference is night and day. 

• Upvote 1

LA | NY | OC

8 hours ago, DoomsDave said:

Keep the triangle a bit on the dry side. It will like the heat and get big fast. Really big, really fast.

That's the plan...Can't wait for it to kick in and start throwing spears.

LA | NY | OC

I stumbled across this palm garden in my neighborhood... 

IMG_9339.jpg

And it appears the following plants have been in the ground awhile before I got the three consecutive days of frost. 

Pritchardia

IMG_9333.jpg

Latania

IMG_9331.jpg

IMG_9330.jpg

• Upvote 3

LA | NY | OC

Kncok on the door and ask 'em to join the PSSC  . . . .

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

Blooming season has begun...one of three trees...

IMG_9405.jpg

IMG_9406.jpg

Framing in this section nicely...

IMG_9408.jpg

IMG_9409_1.jpg

IMG_9410.jpg

• Upvote 2

LA | NY | OC

• 2 weeks later...

Here's a few pics w/ color saturation from today...

FullSizeRender%204.jpg

FullSizeRender%205.jpg

Looking out the front door.

FullSizeRender%206.jpg

• Upvote 6

LA | NY | OC

This tree on the western side of the property was once the most aesthetically challenged one but has turn out to be a prolific bloomer and whose branching has since corrected itself to have more balance.

IMG_9486.jpg

IMG_9469.jpg

IMG_9468.jpg

This one, which resides in the middle of my front yard has an elegant branching habit but doesn't carry the blooms as densely.

IMG_9482.jpg

And the last one at the eastern side of the front yard has had significant setbacks from corrective pruning and replanting due to a need to elevate its planting level. It was placed at the very front of the motor court because it has a darker shade of pink and what I think is the best looking flower color of the three but continues to be a work in progress...

IMG_9484.jpg

IMG_9485.jpg

• Upvote 2

LA | NY | OC

• 4 weeks later...

Spring in the socal area has been pretty spectacular...between the super blooms and greenery on the hillsides and what's happening in the garden, I'd say we are pretty lucky this season.   The color in my own garden has been going off. 

FullSizeRender%207.jpg

Pictures and my iphone snaps don't do it justice...

FullSizeRender%2011.jpg

Love this ground cover

FullSizeRender%209.jpg

FullSizeRender%2010.jpg

• Upvote 2

LA | NY | OC

Maples are leafed out.

FullSizeRender%2017.jpg

I've shorted my sensitive palms and planted phyllostachys nigra...I may relocate them as understory in other sections...

FullSizeRender%2018.jpg

Recently poured a slab in the corner where I brought water and an outlet...stepping stones just weren't cutting it. 

FullSizeRender%2016.jpg

It will be shielded from view down the line as it is tucked behind a moon lagoon mallee. 

FullSizeRender%2015.jpg

Just yesterday I had a very relaxing moment in the garden sitting in this spot...I had Sade playing through the air while snacking on dark chocolate covered raisins and pretzels, all while sipping on an iced cappuccino...the weather was perfect, the garden was looking awesome.

FullSizeRender%2019.jpg

FullSizeRender%2020.jpg

I'll leave you with this aloe plicatilis bloom and hope that you guys are enjoying your garden as much as I am.

FullSizeRender%2014.jpg

Edited by OverGrown
  • Upvote 3

LA | NY | OC