IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

A blank canvas to landscape in Southern California.

OverGrown

General overview of the backyard as it is currently.

Looking North east.

IMG_8347.jpg

Looking East

IMG_8348.jpg

Finally planted out the double dypsis decipiens.  This time I mound planted higher than the previous ones and tilted it back about 30 degrees to accommodate for the tillering.

IMG_8349.jpg

• Upvote 5

LA | NY | OC

40 minutes ago, OverGrown said:

General overview of the backyard as it is currently.

Looking North east.

IMG_8347.jpg

Looking East

IMG_8348.jpg

Finally planted out the double dypsis decipiens.  This time I mound planted higher than the previous ones and tilted it back about 30 degrees to accommodate for the tillering.

IMG_8349.jpg

good call on mound planting this tree.

Carlsbad, California Zone 10 B on the hill (402 ft. elevation)

Sunset zone 24

18 hours ago, Josh-O said:

good call on mound planting this tree.

I had 4 in the ground all planted at least 6 inches above grade..two croaked and a third is not looking so good so I decided to plant this double at 8-10 inches above grade in the driest part of the yard, hopefully it fares better.

• Upvote 1

LA | NY | OC

Do you remember that Bujubea that was in the infirmary earlier this year?  Here it is planted out a couple weeks ago;

IMG_8210.jpg

Caesalpinia pulcherrima has been blooming through the winter;

IMG_8211.jpg

Aloe Goliath branched out with a second head to my surprise over late summer going into fall...

IMG_8209.jpg

• Upvote 2

LA | NY | OC

If you've followed this thread up until now, here is a little eye candy from Sergio's yard.  I have been visiting this landscape since 2009 and it's amazing how much it changes through the years.  

IMG_8199.jpg

looking North

IMG_8197.jpg

• Upvote 3

LA | NY | OC

I have a relative who has been neighbor's with Bob Burtscher for a long time.  Once upon a time, I was attending a family party and looked across the hillside and noticed the fronds of a caryota obtusa/gigas peaking through the landscape.  I knew right away it was going to be a palm person so I decided to do some investigation and stumbled on a gated house with some of very rare and large cycads (circa 2009/10) leaving me with one of the best first impressions I would ever have from approaching a landscape.  I would see this landscape change several times over the years and especially so in the recent years when he decided to sell off his cycad collection.  He has since renewed his interest in palms and had recently planted some rare large dypsis.  Bob lives just west of me on a different hill and while his topography and thereby microclimate is different, his garden is the closest thing I can reference.  Here are a few iphone 6+ snaps from the visit...

IMG_8287%201.jpg

You know he's a cycad guy when you see the encephalartos woodii etched on the front door!

IMG_8269%201.jpg

Next to the driveway.

IMG_8257%201.jpg

• Upvote 4

LA | NY | OC

Dypsis sp Vato Mony   with a large dypsis tokoravina further up the hill on the right

IMG_8255.jpg

Lots of color and texture in this garden

IMG_8256.jpg

IMG_8258%201.jpg

• Upvote 3

LA | NY | OC

Looking back out the driveway

IMG_8262%201.jpg

Chambeyronia Houailou

IMG_8263%201.jpg

Side yard;  That parajubaea torallyi has at least 4ft diameter of trunk.

IMG_8266%201.jpg

• Upvote 4

LA | NY | OC

Bob has one of the most beautiful kentiopsis pyriformis in his yard which I will post later as it failed to upload. Other shots...

IMG_8279%201.jpg

IMG_8285%201.jpg

And the legend himself...Bob Burtscher

IMG_8282%201.jpg

• Upvote 7

LA | NY | OC

• 2 weeks later...

Finally had some time in the schedule to finish my partial retaining wall just before the rains came. I still have to finish the final cuts towards the bottom on both sides of the wall.  Poured in place cap w/ stone veneer.

IMG_8452.jpg

the wall is curved which made it a touch more challenging...

IMG_8453.jpg

From across the street.

IMG_8455.jpg

• Upvote 5

LA | NY | OC

Did a light test with some flash lights. I will end up using 5 lower wattage landscape up-lights.   I pull up to the house coming from the east side of the property most often so this was the best way to create a sense of arrival.  

IMG_8449.jpg

During the daytime it will provide architectural interest and and up market aesthetic. 

IMG_8459.jpg

I was also able to lay down two truck loads of fine compost & mulch before it got wet.  

IMG_8461.jpg

• Upvote 8

LA | NY | OC

Went on top of the roof to check on a leak and whipped out the iphone for a few snaps...

IMG_8468.jpg

FullSizeRender-6.jpg

Things are looking colorful.

IMG_8473.jpg

• Upvote 8

LA | NY | OC

Walkway to the backyard from the roof.

IMG_8474.jpg

What was once the outdoor dining area is now a shaded play area.. I moved the table to the side area where it was getting better use during our parties.

FullSizeRender-5.jpg

The driveway/courtyard.

IMG_8478.jpg

• Upvote 5

LA | NY | OC

On 12/22/2016, 7:11:16, Palm Tree Jim said:

His garden is nothing short of spectacular!

Thanks for sharing.

The PSSC Meeting in September is going to be at Bob's place.

Scream!

No, just a croak of ecstacy will do

A grand garden

Thanks Peter for the pictures! I reserve the right to pirate them . . . for the glory of the PSSC!

(scream)

• Upvote 1

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

Peter!

your garden rocks now, will rock later

rock rock rock!

• Upvote 1

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

On January 2, 2017 8:34:45 PM, DoomsDave said:

Peter!

your garden rocks now, will rock later

rock rock rock!

Thanks Dave,  I am beginning to think I'm spending too much on dirt, sand, compost and rocks.  

LA | NY | OC

Everything is coming together nicely !

Old Beach ,Hobart
Tasmania ,Australia. 42 " south
Cool Maritime climate

On January 8, 2017 12:42:22 PM, Tassie_Troy1971 said:

Everything is coming together nicely !

Thanks Troy!  With the recent additions, it has finally begun to feel like a garden.

LA | NY | OC

Thank you very much for the update!

I have been following this beautiful thread - and it is nice to see how your garden is shaping up.

I am wondering when the toy car will change into a real gokart... ;)

best regards

On 1/13/2017, 6:42:44, palmfriend said:

Thank you very much for the update!

I have been following this beautiful thread - and it is nice to see how your garden is shaping up.

I am wondering when the toy car will change into a real gokart... ;)

best regards

Thanks, I'm glad you are enjoying the thread.  I've had this gas powered drifting cart since before the build and we used to do high speed runs on the streets. It's been getting a lot of track time as of late. In fact, at the last party we had for my newest daughter, many of the older kids were running the track for hours!   I've taught a lot of them on how to cut apex's and stick to the racing line! 

IMG_8599.jpg

IMG_8600.jpg

IMG_8601.jpg

• Upvote 5

LA | NY | OC

Too Fun! As You might notice by my avatar I've turned a wheel a few times myself.. B)

• Upvote 1

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

your garden is looking really nice!!

Sunset zone 24

Would you mind posting a few more updated pictures of the mexican feather grass.  I think I would like to add this to my garden it looks beautiful.  

7 minutes ago, Straight6tt said:

Would you mind posting a few more updated pictures of the mexican feather grass.  I think I would like to add this to my garden it looks beautiful.  

Nasty stuff if the seeds start blowing. Volunteers sprout up everywhere.

On 1/17/2017, 5:40:17, OverGrown said:

Thanks, I'm glad you are enjoying the thread.  I've had this gas powered drifting cart since before the build and we used to do high speed runs on the streets. It's been getting a lot of track time as of late. In fact, at the last party we had for my newest daughter, many of the older kids were running the track for hours!   I've taught a lot of them on how to cut apex's and stick to the racing line! 

IMG_8599.jpg

IMG_8600.jpg

IMG_8601.jpg

Very cool!

On 1/17/2017, 7:47:10, BS Man about Palms said:

Too Fun! As You might notice by my avatar I've turned a wheel a few times myself.. B)

Next time you need to get away from SD or just want to run the car for a bit we can do a Cars & Coffee run...Just be warned, one outing with my group and you'll be looking for a 911.

• Upvote 1

LA | NY | OC

On 1/17/2017, 9:07:46, Josh-O said:

your garden is looking really nice!!

Thanks Josh.  

LA | NY | OC

Two days in a row of frost 1/24/17 & 1/25/17.  Looked out the window and saw thick frost on everyone's roof tops...  

IMG_8751.jpg

IMG_8750.jpg

IMG_8752.jpg

• Upvote 1

LA | NY | OC

At least I got some good winter color from my japanese maple...

IMG_8727.jpg

A rainbow appeared as the heavy storms moved away...only to greet me with frost the following days thereafter...

IMG_8721.jpg

IMG_8720.jpg

IMG_8719.jpg

• Upvote 1

LA | NY | OC

22 minutes ago, OverGrown said:

Next time you need to get away from SD or just want to run the car for a bit we can do a Cars & Coffee run...Just be warned, one outing with my group and you'll be looking for a 911.

You mean hunting for one to run down to race? ;)  I like unique and unusual.. Thus a palm tree addiction and TVRs.. lol

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

On 1/19/2017, 7:04:39, Straight6tt said:

Here it is just after a break in the rain storms...I should mention that a couple weeks ago I did the annual trimming...and as Gonzer has pointed out, they are considered invasive...I have tried to be as smart as I can about their location and the way I planted them in mass in a dedicated planting area but even then I still get new plants in my hellstrip.   They are going on their second year, I trimmed back to six inches after the first year and again this year to six inches while cleaning out as much dead material as I could.. I noticed that I get better plant movement the cleaner the plant is, so next year  or the next time I trim, I will take it down flush with the ground level.

FullSizeRender-7.jpg

Taken this afternoon.

IMG_8798.jpg

IMG_8802.jpg

Some of my kids for scale...Also should mention, I still have not connected any irrigation to this area...it is hand watered every now and then. The first three rows are mexican feather grass while the last two rows closest to the house is pink muhly grass.

IMG_8794.jpg

Edited by OverGrown
  • Upvote 1

LA | NY | OC

On 2017/1/18 10:40:17, OverGrown said:
On 2017/1/18 10:40:17, OverGrown said:

IMG_8599.jpg

IMG_8600.jpg

IMG_8601.jpg

IMG_8599.jpg

IMG_8600.jpg

IMG_8601.jpg

That`s pretty cool! This one looks like a formula one racer comparing to a usual one...:greenthumb: However, I really appreciate to let the kids 

have fun on the track!

Btw, we are BBQing here a few times through the year (as well), mostly with international couples stranded somehow on this island -

and it is always fun with all those kids around! Most of our friend`s kids (and our ones) are still very young (1 to 6 years old) - easy to handle so far -

but I guess quite soon we have got to offer something more "interesting"...B)

9 hours ago, OverGrown said:

wo days in a row of frost 1/24/17 & 1/25/17.  Looked out the window and saw thick frost on everyone's roof tops...  

IMG_8751.jpg

IMG_8750.jpg

IMG_8752.jpg

I sincerely hope all your palms and other plants are doing well despite the frost -

best regards

palmfriend

On 1/26/2017, 6:43:02, palmfriend said:

That`s pretty cool! This one looks like a formula one racer comparing to a usual one...:greenthumb: However, I really appreciate to let the kids 

have fun on the track!

Btw, we are BBQing here a few times through the year (as well), mostly with international couples stranded somehow on this island -

and it is always fun with all those kids around! Most of our friend`s kids (and our ones) are still very young (1 to 6 years old) - easy to handle so far -

but I guess quite soon we have got to offer something more "interesting"...B)

I sincerely hope all your palms and other plants are doing well despite the frost -

best regards

palmfriend

have you had any noticeable damage?

Sunset zone 24