IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

A blank canvas to landscape in Southern California.

OverGrown

Another chamby and one of seven dypsis leptocheilos I have planted next to the house in an attempt to protect them. 

IMG_1431.jpg

Caryota obtusa/gigas where the other banana used to be

IMG_1432.jpg

IMG_1433.jpg

Overall planting area...

IMG_1435.jpg

• Upvote 1

LA | NY | OC

looking out, you can see how beautiful that ravenea glauca is looking! 

IMG_1434.jpg

looking back you can see the temporary shade sails i put up to help the maples out a bit...it didn't really help.

IMG_1436.jpg

from the corner towards the s-turns...I gave the bizmarkia nobilis the entire area around the bend where it would get sun all day including the hot afternoon sun...On the track is my Princess who I built this for...

IMG_1438.jpg

Edited by OverGrown
  • Upvote 2

LA | NY | OC

from that same corner looking east down the straight..

IMG_1441.jpg

from the top of the track looking south...the void area is either going to be lawn or a rubberized playground after mow strips and or curbing goes in, but that happens after irrigation and landscaping lighting...so much work to do!

IMG_1449.jpg

looking southwest...and into the sunset...hope you enjoyed!  Gonna take a break now...maybe take pictures of all the trenching that's been going on in the front yard!

IMG_1450.jpg

Edited by OverGrown
  • Upvote 1

LA | NY | OC

Congratulations! You have a nice garden.

I think you must plant more banana trees or papaya trees. Your garden needs more shadow and after two or three years you could cut it.

The Raveneas glauca are lovely!

19 hours ago, Monòver said:

Congratulations! You have a nice garden.

I think you must plant more banana trees or papaya trees. Your garden needs more shadow and after two or three years you could cut it.

The Raveneas glauca are lovely!

Thanks! I agree and will be continually removing pups from the existing bananas and planting them where canopy is needed.

• Upvote 1

LA | NY | OC

Here's an aspect of landscaping that gets under appreciated;  grading & fine grading.  The exposed roots & blocks of the wall are indicative of where my dirt level once was.  The old owner of the property had spread excess dirt from a remodel throughout the yard and piled the last of it in this corner, thereby elevating the overall grade of the backyard.  Now you can see why I had to throw away about 100 yards of dirt just to get my desired level grade.   It was important to me that when I walked out of my house, the yard would be as flat as possible so that I could maximize useable square footage.  

IMG_1533.jpg

As evidence of my obsessive compulsive disorder,  I even replanted this bismarkia to a lower depth and inevitable disturbed some fine roots, so that when I look at it from my lawn chair or from inside my house it sat slightly lower than the track ...I hope it makes it.

IMG_1534.jpg

To remove the hard compacted clay around the roots, I used a pressure washer multiple times to blow off as much as I could before going in with a shovel like a scalpel.  The dirt would be used to level out low areas throughout the garden.  By the time I'm complete with fine grading this area, the water will run towards the way and away from the track.

IMG_1535.jpg

LA | NY | OC

All of this was hidden under clay and this is what I'm cleaning up aesthetically once exposed...My only regret is doing this in one of my favorite palm related shirts and staining it from the mud.

IMG_1536.jpg

There were three cables buried under the clay and one had rusted through when I exposed area.

IMG_1537.jpg

This shot from the far side can give you a better idea of the clean lines I'm trying to achieve by fine grading that area.  It's a lot of work that would go unnoticed but since I'm killing myself over it... I want you to see it!  

IMG_1538.jpg

LA | NY | OC

I've been wanting to visit Joe's place (Discovery Island Palms) for awhile now...I have seen him post well grown palms for sale over the years at a reasonable price but never had a chance to visit until today.  

IMG_1553.jpg

Ravenea julietiae 

IMG_1555.jpg

IMG_1556.jpg

LA | NY | OC

23 hours ago, Josh-O said:

nice score

Thanks, from what I heard, we just missed each other there. 

LA | NY | OC

On 12/11/2015, 7:28:56, OverGrown said:

dypsis lanceolata 

IMG_1561.jpg

15g dypsis leptocheilos 

IMG_1563.jpg

15g chamaedorea tepejilote 

IMG_1566.jpg

Like a kid in a candy shop :lol:

Coral Gables, FL 8 miles North of Fairchild USDA Zone 10B

Sweet score man :greenthumb:

I've had been itching to go palm shopping for a while now.

But I actually got my fix at the last PSSC meeting. Ended up with few cool new palm for my garden.

Next time I go palm shopping will probably be in March for my birthday gift.

5 hours ago, Moose said:

Like a kid in a candy shop :lol:

I've filled my SUV up 3 times in the last week.   The only way I'm regulating myself is by only taking the car and leaving my Isuzu box truck in LA. 

LA | NY | OC

Peter, before you know it:

Your garden will be a glorious jungle.

Oh, I have pictures of my place, all that space, all those trees to chop out and remove, that picket fence that made such great fertilizer after it was burned.

We'll need to have a PSSC meeting at your place. (Doing my duty!)

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

4 hours ago, Danilopez89 said:

Sweet score man :greenthumb:

I've had been itching to go palm shopping for a while now.

But I actually got my fix at the last PSSC meeting. Ended up with few cool new palm for my garden.

Next time I go palm shopping will probably be in March for my birthday gift.

You have plenty of room for more palms...rip out that lawn, string up a few shade sails and start digging!

LA | NY | OC

6 minutes ago, OverGrown said:

You have plenty of room for more palms...rip out that lawn, string up a few shade sails and start digging!

There's always room for one more palm.

Oh, sometimes you have to take one or two out . . . .

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

On 12/11/2015, 4:22:49, OverGrown said:

I've been wanting to visit Joe's place (Discovery Island Palms) for awhile now...I have seen him post well grown palms for sale over the years at a reasonable price but never had a chance to visit until today.  

IMG_1553.jpg

Ravenea julietiae 

IMG_1555.jpg

IMG_1556.jpg

Pant pant pant

LICKY!

20 minutes ago, DoomsDave said:

Peter, before you know it:

Your garden will be a glorious jungle.

Oh, I have pictures of my place, all that space, all those trees to chop out and remove, that picket fence that made such great fertilizer after it was burned.

We'll need to have a PSSC meeting at your place. (Doing my duty!)

That's the end goal!  .....and shade, texture and maybe cooling misters!

LA | NY | OC

1 minute ago, OverGrown said:

That's the end goal!  .....and shade, texture and maybe cooling misters!

The funny thing is . . . .

The denser it gets, the bigger it seems! Your brain says this is the endless jungle.

• Upvote 1

mow strip is marked out...I had to move chondropetulum tectorums to give myself more open space for a lawn my wife now wants...

IMG_1707.jpg

IMG_1709.jpg

IMG_1713.jpg

• Upvote 1

LA | NY | OC

dypsis leptocheilos in place...

IMG_1711.jpg

small cape rush in new position, encephalartos flushing two leaves, gigas recently moved into a better position...

IMG_1712.jpg

IMG_1714.jpg

LA | NY | OC

it's gonna be nice when things start to fill in :greenthumb:

Carlsbad, California Zone 10 B on the hill (402 ft. elevation)

Sunset zone 24

Everything is taking shape

Great choice of palms to plant

Old Beach ,Hobart
Tasmania ,Australia. 42 " south
Cool Maritime climate

On December 13, 2015 10:22:16 AM, Got Palms said:

Looking good Peter I will take u up on a visit soon I will pm u when I'm in area.

Sounds good, I have a pair of vietchia's for you here when you get here!

LA | NY | OC

On December 20, 2015 3:57:27 PM, Tassie_Troy1971 said:

Everything is taking shape

Great choice of palms to plant

Thanks Troy,  It's fun hunting them down. 

LA | NY | OC

Christmas haul:

(2) dypsis prestoniana big curly

(1) dypsis sp dark mealybug 

(1) dypsis bef slick willy

(1) dypsis st lucie

(1) dypsis ambositrae

(3) latania verschaffeltii

(1) latania lontaroides

(1) roystonea sp regia/olata?

(1) ravanala madagascariensis

(1) Mercedes GLE 450 AMG Coupe

IMG_1877.jpg

• Upvote 2

LA | NY | OC

7 hours ago, OverGrown said:

Christmas haul:

(2) dypsis prestoniana big curly

(1) dypsis sp dark mealybug 

(1) dypsis bef slick willy

(1) dypsis st lucie

(1) dypsis ambositrae

(3) latania verschaffeltii

(1) latania lontaroides

(1) roystonea sp regia/olata?

(1) ravanala madagascariensis

(1) Mercedes GLE 450 AMG Coupe

IMG_1877.jpg

Sweeeet man!

Where did you get those awesome palms? 

Santa Clause was good to you...

I didn't get any palms for Christmas :crying: I guess I was on the naughty list this year.

I was looking for on Palmpedia the Mercedes GLE 450 AMG and i did not find it.

It is a new specie? May be an hibrid?

:floor:

On December 25, 2015 9:59:23 PM, Danilopez89 said:

Sweeeet man!

Where did you get those awesome palms? 

Santa Clause was good to you...

I didn't get any palms for Christmas :crying: I guess I was on the naughty list this year.

Thanks, pretty stoked to find these!  Ever since I saw your pair of Red Latania's I kept my eye open.    I got these from a grower who wished to remain anonymous.  This was no gift from Santa, I work my tail off!!

LA | NY | OC