IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

A blank canvas to landscape in Southern California.

OverGrown

Is that a parajube in one of the pictures?

Do you have room for an 800 Pound Gorilla Palm?

Dave, when i first moved to this place, I tried to transplant a 24" box sized parajubaea torallyi and bismarkia but they did not survive... The one palm you see planted is a dypsis decipiens I picked up from Matt in OC awhile back.

LA | NY | OC

It will be some time before I can get to working on the outdoor projects again, between work, a two year old daughter and a 7 week old son, my time is very limited, meanwhile here are a few completed projects of what I've done on the inside of the house two months prior to moving in.

House is a little over 2000sq ft on a single level. All projects were completed by yours truly with help from a few buddies from time to time... I made it a personal challenge to take it on myself and learn the many trades and aspects of home remodeling.

Ceilings scraped, mudded/sanded 5 to 6 times to get a class 4 smooth ceilings, 36 led recessed lights added throughout using flex wire, added a subpanel in garage, all new fixtures (fans/lights,etc), room switches consolidated, drywall repaired and textured, paint, replaced doors and cabinets hardware, 5 layers of epoxy for the garage floor, all windows and doors replaced.

photo-136.jpg

photo-137.jpg

photo-138.jpg

photo-135.jpg

LA | NY | OC

Dave, when i first moved to this place, I tried to transplant a 24" box sized parajubaea torallyi and bismarkia but they did not survive... The one palm you see planted is a dypsis decipiens I picked up from Matt in OC awhile back.

Dypsis decaryi, and it's looking good!

Dypsis decaryi, and it's looking good!

thanks for the correction matt, that's what i meant... it was a typo on my part... lack of sleep around here with a new kid

Edited by OverGrown

LA | NY | OC

Normally wouldn't use solar lights but found these at a decent price so I picked up 24 of them and scattered them to look like stars...It has completely transformed the corner and neighborhood feeling in the evenings.

photo-142.jpg

Stainless Steel Bollards

photo-143.jpg

• Upvote 1

LA | NY | OC

• 2 weeks later...

Best weed and insect control if you have plants that they can't destroy. I've had many varieties but I edited down to the ones I felt look best in the garden...Silver laced wyandottes and Silkies.

IMG_0967.jpg

IMG_0966.jpg

IMG_0969.jpg

• Upvote 2

LA | NY | OC

This guy/ gal looks like "hey what the f...k you looking at?"

post-10373-0-65314900-1435798440_thumb.j

Edited by foxtail

Rio_Grande.gif

• 2 months later...

Update: Dug up about half the cordylines and most of the phormiums....I got bored and am starting over...I know I can do better.

Edited by OverGrown

LA | NY | OC

hats the spirit :greenthumb:

keep us posted what you plant next??

Carlsbad, California Zone 10 B on the hill (402 ft. elevation)

Sunset zone 24

Ahhhh! The scary chicken is back! That thing freaks me out man. Make it stop. Eat it or something.

Ben Rogers

On the border of Concord & Clayton in the East Bay hills - Elev 387 ft 37.95 °N, 121.94 °W

My back yard weather station: http://www.wunderground.com/cgi-bin/findweather/hdfForecast?query=37.954%2C-121.945&sp=KCACONCO37

• 2 months later...

The track is badass!:greenthumb:

My son would love having that in our backyard. Your backyard looks pretty big. Maybe like 3 or 4 times bigger than mine. Are you gonna go for a jungle look, or just a few nice palms?

3 hours ago, Danilopez89 said:

The track is badass!:greenthumb:

My son would love having that in our backyard. Your backyard looks pretty big. Maybe like 3 or 4 times bigger than mine. Are you gonna go for a jungle look, or just a few nice palms?

Thanks Danny,  so far I have planted a few 15g's (3 bismarkia's, 2 beccariopheonix alfredii, 1 dypsis onilahensis,),  2- 10g dypsis lutescens, 5g dypsis madagascariensis in the desired spacing with their mature spread and height in mind...   I'm currently thinking about cluster planting some areas for a hedging affect and because of growth rate differences but overall I prefer to leave negative space to appreciate a palms silhouette. 

Edited by OverGrown

LA | NY | OC

When the hardscape is done, the fun starts. What's to stop someone from running over your favorite plant though? That being said a track through tropical vegetation is a pretty cool idea.

Woodville, FL

zone 8b

2 hours ago, Matt in OC said:

Looking awesome, Peter!

Thanks Matt,  Now I'm really going to start having fun planting and watching things grow!

LA | NY | OC

18 minutes ago, redbeard917 said:

When the hardscape is done, the fun starts. What's to stop someone from running over your favorite plant though? That being said a track through tropical vegetation is a pretty cool idea.

You got it!  I've been waiting patiently to begin some serious planting!  I have placed my more desirable plants out of the racing line and the more commonly found ones (lutescens, onilahensis, plumosa, etc) where they can cushion the blow should the kart run off the track.  The plants should have a good head start to establish since my son is only 7 months and my daughter is 3. 

LA | NY | OC

variegated rhapsis -5g

IMG_1340.jpg

dypsis affinis seedling from Perry

IMG_1341.jpg

encephalartos caffer

IMG_1342.jpg

LA | NY | OC

dypsis decipiens mound planted 6 inches above grade from a 15g

IMG_1343.jpg

bismarkia nobilis -5g  (1 of 3) 

IMG_1344.jpg

dypsis decipiens -15g two fronds have burned since planting so it currently looks like this...hope it makes it.

IMG_1345.jpg

LA | NY | OC

bismarkia nobilis -5g  (2 of 3)

IMG_1346.jpg

beccariopheonix alfredii -15g (1 of 2)

IMG_1349.jpg

encephalartos whitelockii -5g greenhouse grown two leaf-er flushing

IMG_1350.jpg

LA | NY | OC

bismarkia nobilis -5g (3 of 3)   

IMG_1351.jpg

dioon holmgrenii -1g  this is not its true color, there is overspray from when I power washed a coating off of the concrete

IMG_1352.jpg

beccariopheonix alfredii -15g (2 of 2)

IMG_1353.jpg

LA | NY | OC

Beware, feather grass is very invasive, and you will be pulling out seedlings forever.  I love the golden look, but, took everything out 2 years ago, and still finding seedlings.  But, the good news, is that the seedlings are easy to pull,  I like it in multi group plants in a planter for texture.  I'v been told the best way for control, was to cut them back each year, because the seeds are out at the tips. 

You must be having such a good time, putting things in the ground that you have had for awhile.  I think your Dypsis Decipiens might make it, I have two, yellowed branches on a 15g DD I put in ground,  (its near a Phoenix Rupicola that gets watered more frequently, and, thought the plant was toast, but, it hasn't gotten worse, and new stems look good.

When we first did our landscaping, I initially put in 30 yards of compost, thinking more would be better, but, it was so thick that the rototiller couldn't get to the dirt, and I had to use a trenching shovel to turn it in all by hand.  .

Oh yes, I have my daughter's Silver Wyandotte, and a few blue/red Wyandotte's, have only three left, but they are pets and follow me around.  I wanted to keep the rooster, and even went to the expense of having him neutered to see if we could stop the crowing (roosters illegal in Pleasant Hill), but, alas, he died on the table.  We had to go down two feet around coop and fill with drain rock to keep them safe from the racoons digging under it. Cecile

• Upvote 1

your garden is really starting to take shape Peter.:greenthumb:

I'm looking forward to updated pictures when your beauties get larger.:drool:

The walkway is a real nice touch!

I'm currently getting quotes for concrete for my vista garden. I hope to have some cool pathways like yours very soon.

Keep up the good work. 

Carlsbad, California Zone 10 B on the hill (402 ft. elevation)

Sunset zone 24

17 hours ago, Rafael said:

Absolutely spectacular! 

Wonderfull work!

congrats!

Thanks Rafael!  Still a lot more to come!

LA | NY | OC

17 hours ago, SHEP said:

Beware, feather grass is very invasive, and you will be pulling out seedlings forever.  I love the golden look, but, took everything out 2 years ago, and still finding seedlings.  But, the good news, is that the seedlings are easy to pull,  I like it in multi group plants in a planter for texture.  I'v been told the best way for control, was to cut them back each year, because the seeds are out at the tips. 

You must be having such a good time, putting things in the ground that you have had for awhile.  I think your Dypsis Decipiens might make it, I have two, yellowed branches on a 15g DD I put in ground,  (its near a Phoenix Rupicola that gets watered more frequently, and, thought the plant was toast, but, it hasn't gotten worse, and new stems look good.

When we first did our landscaping, I initially put in 30 yards of compost, thinking more would be better, but, it was so thick that the rototiller couldn't get to the dirt, and I had to use a trenching shovel to turn it in all by hand.  .

Oh yes, I have my daughter's Silver Wyandotte, and a few blue/red Wyandotte's, have only three left, but they are pets and follow me around.  I wanted to keep the rooster, and even went to the expense of having him neutered to see if we could stop the crowing (roosters illegal in Pleasant Hill), but, alas, he died on the table.  We had to go down two feet around coop and fill with drain rock to keep them safe from the racoons digging under it. Cecile

Hi Cecile,

I have implemented a few cultural practices (mulching & annual cutback prior to seeding) that should keep the feather grass manageable and I definitely will be watching it.  The front of my house faces mostly south which means I catch a breeze daily and the movement of the feather grass and the way the sunset hits it are the main elements for its useage. 

By nature, I'm an impatient person and my lifestyle up to this point has been really fast paced...landscaping has help me develop patience and working on my own property has made me appreciate the process.  I really am enjoying working on the place, taking a step back, working the design, resting and then working on it again...It is very much a lifestyle now.

The animals keep things fun and entertaining although they can be a nuisance from time to time when they destroy some precious plantings...it even forces me to seek out plants that can stand up to their abuse.

Peter

LA | NY | OC

15 hours ago, Josh-O said:

your garden is really starting to take shape Peter.:greenthumb:

I'm looking forward to updated pictures when your beauties get larger.:drool:

The walkway is a real nice touch!

I'm currently getting quotes for concrete for my vista garden. I hope to have some cool pathways like yours very soon.

Keep up the good work. 

Thanks Josh.  One of these days, I'd like to try to make it down to see your masterpiece!  Really amazing things you have going on over there.  I am using this thread as a way to document the evolution of my garden so I will be posting lots of pictures.   It's great to seeing people enjoying their gardens...Enjoy in good health my friend!

LA | NY | OC

dypsis onilahensis

IMG_1358.jpg

IMG_1357.jpg

dypsis decipiens (3 of 3 in the ground...2 more need to be planted) I have them in different parts of the garden to observe differences in growth.

IMG_1359.jpg

• Upvote 1

LA | NY | OC

Stopped by Kevin Weaver's on yesterday and picked up a few things that I'm going to just plant around the garden and hope it survives...I have no time to baby any plants...I guess you could say I'm beginning to zone push.   Also, after seeing more dypsis plumosa seedlings and a second opinion from Perry, I believe the first batch of plants I was gifted from Sergio, which may actually be dypsis cabadae instead of dypsis plumosa.  In no particular order;  15g & 5g ravenea glauca, 5g wallichia densiflora, (6) 1g dypsis leptochielos,  (2) 1g veitchia arecina from socal seed, (2) 1g chambeyronia macrocarpa, 1g dysis pembana, (2) 1g wallichia dysticha, 25g encephalartos kisambo, 15g caryota obtusa (aka gigas), (5) 1g dypsis plumosa to be combined as a double and triple,  1g chamaedora plumosa, 

IMG_1403.jpg

After planting the initial 15g ravenea glauca, it prompted me to go back this morning and pick of a few more!

IMG_1413.jpg

Also swooped a couple pseudopheonix sargentii which will probably be ready when I'm about to retire!!

IMG_1414.jpg

...And by the way...EVERYTHING has been planted!!!!

Edited by OverGrown
  • Upvote 1

LA | NY | OC

Wanted to show a little love to Perry (SLOPALMS) who brought these down for me a couple months back just before a PSSC meeting...These were among the first to go into the ground before the concrete pour.   I still have two 15g dypsis decipiens (a single recurved leaf form and a double) waiting to be planted. 

IMG_0748.jpg

Also wanted to bring attention to a 70 foot long trench that had to be dug by hand as we battled through roots of the existing hedge.   I used it to run water and a soon to be electric outlet to the far corner of the property. 

IMG_1105.jpg

Edited by OverGrown

LA | NY | OC

Encephalartos kisambo goes into the ground. 

IMG_1415.jpg

The bananas (pisang ceylon, formerly pisang klotek) were always a temporary planting to be used as needed...I transplanted one of them today to make room for the caryota obtusa and to provide a little afternoon shade for a wallichia disticha just behind it..

IMG_1416.jpg

tucked in a triple planting of dypsis plumosa in area where not much else would work...

IMG_1418.jpg

LA | NY | OC

Walking along the track...

I planted ravanea glauca's  rhythmically along the track for their graceful looking fronds and available size for some impact and overall cohesiveness..

IMG_1422.jpg

IMG_1419.jpg

double wallichia disticha...

IMG_1421.jpg

LA | NY | OC

Another ravanea glauca focal point, can't wait to uplight this one!  This was the first 15g that I bought and when I looked at its silhouette as the sun was setting I was hooked...Called up Kevin and told him to hold the last three and that I would be back the next morning to pick them up...

IMG_1423.jpg

This was one of four 15g ravanea glaucas that I acquired but holds its fronds more erect...could it be something different? or is there variability in the traits? growing conditions?

IMG_1426.jpg

A single wallichia disticha

IMG_1427.jpg

• Upvote 1

LA | NY | OC

another 5g r. glauca, I have another 5g planted just on the other side of the track but didn't snap a photo.

IMG_1428.jpg

triple heads on a Wallichia densiflora

IMG_1429.jpg

chambeyronia macrocarpa planted in the most protected place I have despite no real canopy, only a few shade sails..

IMG_1430.jpg

• Upvote 2

LA | NY | OC