IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

A blank canvas to landscape in Southern California.

OverGrown

since you had a tiller you should have thrown in a bunch of gypsum ontop before tilling, that stuff did wonders for my crappy clay ... i wish i could have spread more but i didn't have a tiller or a means to transport one so i had to do all the compost and gypsum mixing manually

Well done! Maybe you mentioned it already but I'm curious to know what your irrigation plans are.

will have multiple valves for drought resistant plantings, trees, etc. I also usually add an extra line here and there just in case.

LA | NY | OC

since you had a tiller you should have thrown in a bunch of gypsum ontop before tilling, that stuff did wonders for my crappy clay ... i wish i could have spread more but i didn't have a tiller or a means to transport one so i had to do all the compost and gypsum mixing manually

I guess I forgot to mention it, but i did two applications of gypsum. tilling by hand must have sucked

Edited by OverGrown

LA | NY | OC

I guess I forgot to mention it, but i did two applications of gypsum. tilling by hand must have sucked

gypsum did wonders for the clay, and noticed an immediate change in consistency in the clay where it didn't bond as much when wet. manually tilling with a shovel, rigid metal rake, and pick axe wasn't fun at all since the clay out here was an absolute mess ontop of being extremely dried and compacted. only way i was able to soften it up was piling on about 6" of compost and drenched the yard for a few days then mix with the shovel. the back part of my yard i pretty much just brought in fresh mix for the raised planting beds that went about 4-5' deep

Does gypsum affect the pH of the soil?

gypsum is neutral.. it just helps to coagulate the clay once it has been broken up.

Edited by OverGrown

LA | NY | OC

• 4 weeks later...

Update: Went on top of my roof a couple weeks ago to snap some pics. I have sprayed out this go-kart track / pathway about 4 times now...this is what I'm currently happy with. I'll live with it for a couple weeks and go over it before I decide to prep for the concrete pour. It is 7 feet wide.

IMG_0552.jpg

IMG_0550.jpg

IMG_0549.jpg

LA | NY | OC

view just off my living room window:

IMG_0567.jpg

IMG_0568.jpg

looking north east and towards the chicane of the track

IMG_0569.jpg

LA | NY | OC

Started getting things in the ground...went for color first as the hedge was already providing a lush green backdrop...needed color asap. dypsis decaryi, phormium jester & rainbow queen, burgundy lace cordylines. the area you see beyond is being deconstructed.. I'm taking out the storage shed and currently breaking up all the concrete for a more finished look and will build a shade structure for that entire side of the house.

IMG_0566.jpg

I love japanese maples no matter how much they tend to scorch in the worst heat of summer. I plant them outside of the bedroom sliders to frame the yard view and because i love the way they glow in the morning as the leaves are backlit by the sun. Also doubles as privacy plantings from the yard looking in. I may plant a large palm to help with shading down the line.

IMG_0565.jpg

Emperor 1's and Crimson queen

IMG_0564.jpg

LA | NY | OC

Pink stripe phormiums, Variegated Aeonium, encephalartos lehmanii, artichoke agave's

IMG_0563.jpg

more burgundy lace cordylines, encephalartos munchii, encephalartos trispinosus and the lehmanii seen earlier

IMG_0562.jpg

LA | NY | OC

from the roof in the front yard..

mexican weeping bamboo, 4 foot wide trench for a pathway and one pink tabebuia tree

IMG_0557.jpg

the other two pink trumpet tree's, two feather cassia's along the house. border has since been tilled in by shovel and third application of gypsum... turns out I broke a piston rod on my 5hp craftsman tiller from pushing down too hard on it.

IMG_0556.jpg

LA | NY | OC

Big project !

Old Beach ,Hobart
Tasmania ,Australia. 42 " south
Cool Maritime climate

Is that actually for go karts? And, I see you've started planting back there already. Aren't you worried the concrete guys will trample any plants that are too close to where they are working?

Woodville, FL

zone 8b

Is that actually for go karts? And, I see you've started planting back there already. Aren't you worried the concrete guys will trample any plants that are too close to where they are working?

Yes, it is for real go-karts, I have two gas powered ones and an electric toy car in the garage. Not worried about plants getting trampled as I have left plenty of walking space and areas for the finishers to do the work properly without interference...This is only round one of the planting to get a few things established whilst they were available to me. I do plan on a few larger feature palms but that comes later...still have lots of trenching to do.

LA | NY | OC

• 1 month later...

Got a ton of prep work done over the past couple weeks.. I was feeling pretty burnt out between the many projects I had going on and trying to squeeze time to work on my own place...Called up the big homie Sergio while I was passing by to get a little inspiration... His yard has exploded with growth since most have seen it. Took mental notes of some palms that I want to incorporate into my own garden... Sergio's garden has been a true inspiration for resort style landscaping and I've learned a lot from his visiting his garden over the years. Big homie laced me up with a dypsis pembana x lanceolata hybrid, a few chamaedorea radicalis trunking form, and ton of triple dypsis plumosas. I plan on doing a mass planting of these to create a grove by the path. Much love my palm brotha! And thanks for everything!

photo-93.jpg

Edited by OverGrown

LA | NY | OC

finished planting out the front border... three rows of mexican feather grass planted at 32" on center and two rows of pink muhly grass 24" on center.

well aware that the pink muhly will get large but I'm attempting a tighter planting for decadent blooms come fall...mulch was also on sale so I took care of that on memorial day weekend...right when I was finished buying them for 4 for $10 at Home depot, I drive by Lowes and see a line of cars buying them for 5 for $10 FML.

photo-94.jpg

photo-95.jpg

photo-96.jpg

• Upvote 1

LA | NY | OC

a few more in relation to the hellstrip... About three times a week people drive by and take pictures of the place...and at least twice a week I give curious neighbors a tour of the property and the ongoing work...It's having a positive effect on the neighborhood and people have begun fixing up their own places...I've noticed more people making it a point to walk by the house...

photo-97.jpg

photo-98.jpg

LA | NY | OC

Close of a few plants in the hell strip; Torbay Dazzler and an echeveria that grows big and purplish

photo-99.jpg

5 torbay dazzler cordylines planted in a V formation so that it still looks good coming from both directions of the street.

photo-124.jpg

and from across the street.

photo-125.jpg

Macrozamia and wandering jew

photo-126.jpg

Agave mediopicta alba and pup

photo-127.jpg

• Upvote 1

LA | NY | OC

Front door was replaced as well as all windows and sliders...I wonder if it's obvious a plant addict lives here.

photo-100.jpg

Blue Longifolius beneath the front window...

photo-101.jpg

Alluaudia procera beneath the other

photo-102.jpg

eugene maraisii tucked in between

photo-103.jpg

LA | NY | OC

Entering the backyard...I have not replaced this gate yet but will eventually..in the meantime, I'm enjoying its patina.

photo-104.jpg

Defensive plantings and VERY drought resistant container plantings just off the west facing dining room window.

photo-105.jpg

tucked in a pair of electric pink cordylines behind the rainbow queen formiums and planted out a few flapjack cuttings.

photo-106.jpg

I believe a mistakenly called these burgundy lace awhile back when they are actually Festival Burgundy Cordylines. growing in nicely although the middle one is falling behind for some reason.

photo-107.jpg

LA | NY | OC

Nice sunburst aeonium planted to brighten up a corner.

photo-108.jpg

I moved these two pink dusty millers and put them in between three dioon edules...common, I know, but they were priced right for their size and still look cool in repetition to accent an otherwise mundane hedge...may upgrade later.

photo-109.jpg

Found a bunch of somewhat hard to get variegated japanese maples at Costco and loaded as much as I could fit in the car...successfully created a picturesque forest like view out my master bedroom window... now thinking about running shade cloth over the top of this section to help them out.

photo-110.jpg

Planted Southern Splendor cordylines outside my daughters bedroom window.

photo-111.jpg

Edited by OverGrown

LA | NY | OC

Nice update, thanks for posting all of the pictures. Would love to see a photo of your Dypsis Pembana x Lanceolata that you mentioned!

the go-kart track / path has been trenched out and the excess dirt was used to level all the planting areas...once that was done, I started moving plants into their final positions... I want to touch on a design element that I am applying in these next two pictures... I like and appreciate rare plants like the blue encephalartos but because of limited resources, I cannot justify buying high dollar plants and just tucking them here and there..So to create a high impact look, I have planted them right up front to have a greater percentage of visual impact when one looks out onto the garden. So when I look out the window in my living room.. I have a foreground of interesting textured small agaves &low growing phormium jesters, mid ground of blue encephalartos, a negative space punctuated later with feature palms and then the burgundy cordylines in the distance with the hedge as a final backdrop. I have also planted these Pisang klotek / ceylon bananas up close for several reasons; they will provide weekly interest with every new leaf, gives it an instantaneous tropical look as the feature palms establish themselves and grow in down the line. They are also planted in this position because I'm using the house to act as a wind shield. I am not sure yet how they will do next to the encephalartos but every plant will have their own calibrated drip lines.

munchii, dioon merolae, trispinosus, pisang klotek/ceylon

photo-112.jpg

pisang klotek/ceylon, lehmanii

photo-113.jpg

Edited by OverGrown

LA | NY | OC

Container clusters between the sliding doors..

photo-114.jpg

looking forward to the giant horsetail growing in.. ipomea platense in there as well

photo-115.jpg

Long leaf ficus (ficus alii) with arial roots is pretty cool...and the common variegated ficus elastica just pops off the house color.. it don't have to be rare to look awesome.

photo-116.jpg

LA | NY | OC

Back to the front.. small cape rush and all my blue chalk stick cuttings rooting on the other side of the driveway.

photo-117.jpg

I forget the name of these white euphorbia's but they are rad. Also have chrome balls on either side of the entry to add a little shine and sculpture in the silhouette of abstract plants. Also contrasts well with the house color.

photo-118.jpg

Got these cool sculptures on either side of the steps to the house.

photo-119.jpg

photo-120.jpg

LA | NY | OC

Couple adeniums, a calibanus hookeri and other familiar goodies as you walk up to the door.

photo-121.jpg

That's it for now...

photo-122.jpg

photo-123.jpg

LA | NY | OC

Hahaha love the flamingos. Looks like everything is coming along nicely. It is a bit of a thrill to have the neighborhood taking an interest in your garden. I have mine go crazy over Brugmansia amd get told they have never seen it before I can think of five other garden nearby that also have them.

Nice update, thanks for posting all of the pictures. Would love to see a photo of your Dypsis Pembana x Lanceolata that you mentioned!

We've been getting fair weather over here in North OC when I placed all the small plants on my south facing driveway, then two very sunny warm (81f) days that caused it to yellow up a bit.. it is now on the north side of my house.

photo-128.jpg

LA | NY | OC

Here a few pics of the views looking out the windows of my house to give you an idea of what I'm talking about when I try to create a picture-esque view of the garden.

From my living room:

photo-130.jpg

Standing right up by the sliders

photo-129.jpg

looking left

photo-133.jpg

looking right

photo-131.jpg

• Upvote 1

LA | NY | OC

View out my daughter's window. it looks and feels much better in person without the obstructions

photo-132.jpg

View outside of the master bedroom of the maple forest...LOVE this!

photo-134.jpg

• Upvote 1

LA | NY | OC

Its all looking really nice -but where are all the palms i have seen less than a handful so far ??? :bemused: maples and cordylines !

you do have a great eye for plant color ! :greenthumb:

Old Beach ,Hobart
Tasmania ,Australia. 42 " south
Cool Maritime climate

My thoughts too. Well it will be the best landscaped go cart track I know of.

Coral Gables, FL 8 miles North of Fairchild USDA Zone 10B

Is that a parajube in one of the pictures?

Do you have room for an 800 Pound Gorilla Palm?

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

Its all looking really nice -but where are all the palms i have seen less than a handful so far ??? :bemused: maples and cordylines !

you do have a great eye for plant color ! :greenthumb:

So far I only have about three palms planted...Palms will be a large unifying element of the garden design but they will have to come after the hardscape.

LA | NY | OC