Cluster

Cocos nucifera on Madeira Island

Cluster
On 9/26/2020 at 8:59 PM, lzorrito said:

Thanks for sharing! Madeira, the pearl of the Atlantic, enchanting as always! I simply love Madeira's north coast. You should post some Laurissilva forest photos. That "Cabeço Penha d'Águia" photo is just great. BTW, what about some Botanical garden photos...and also some from the private "secret gardens" on Funchal's hills and their amazing palms?

On 9/27/2020 at 2:27 AM, palmfriend said:

Beautiful pictures as always!!:greenthumb:

Thank you very much for updating us!

best regards from Okinawa -

Lars

Thank you all!

In regards to that picture with the Penha de Águia, it is not the same spot, this one is in Boaventura, but just as cool:). From time to time I do go to some gardens and share some pictures. I did not go to many this year, I was however inside the Laurisilva rainforest for a while^^.

I covered many coconuts during this summer, but I forgot or had no battery for my normal camera, most of the times, so smartphone will have to do!

Without further due here are some updates from the marina cocos, early August. I will say that they really stripped them down this year around May:(

This is the first one within the row which has the Dwarf one:

tqQTFPV.jpg

And then the others that end with the dwarf:

Dnni3Qc.jpg

The one before the dwarf has some cocos:

mDP0i48.jpg

I  have to admit I become a bit frustrated as I want to see ripen coconuts and there is a topic in the climate thread that discuss the fruitification of coconuts in marginal zones. I think after I update all "my coconuts" in this thread I will add my thoughts in a more detailed manner on why they fruit and don't hold and what we can try to do to overcome that. For now I will just add this in regards to the marina coconuts, the fruits and fronds eventually get trimmed (this is not good for a coconut and especially in a cooler climate, palm may enter in shock and redirect its energy for survival), plus they seem to lack enough water which I have read is crucial as well , sometimes it just does not get pollinated and dies, these are just some facts on top of the cool weather (compared to their native environment).  In any case if they did not trim the fruits we would be seeing ripen coconuts more often, I am pretty confident.

Next we have the trimmed Dwarf:

gRjMjNq.jpg

CTec5O4.jpg

Despite the trimming you can see it has a lot of strength, it has many healthy inflorescences.

Next up we have the biggest coconut in Madeira (or is it? As I have checked the Ponta do Sol coconut at 170m/557 ft this August and it looks as tall, maybe more so):

W2gzhyz.jpg

hcfli4g.jpg

I believe it has some pollinated coconuts (you guys be the judge), it is the first time I see it myself and seeing this is the furthest away coconut it could explain that:

vbejqhS.jpg

Ok this is all for now, more updates will follow:)

Edited by Cluster
  • Like 4
  • Upvote 1

sandgroper

Fantastic photos of some beautiful palms mate, they look great!

• Like 1

lzorrito
On 10/5/2020 at 3:27 PM, Cluster said:

In regards to that picture with the Penha de Águia, it is not the same spot, this one is in Boaventura, but just as cool:). From time to time I do go to some gardens and share some pictures. I did not go to many this year, I was however inside the Laurisilva rainforest for a while^^.

Boaventura! Ups...! It really looked liked Penha de Águia:blush:...and, yes, very cool! Waiting for gardens pics, then.

On 10/5/2020 at 3:27 PM, Cluster said:

or now I will just add this in regards to the marina coconuts, the fruits and fronds eventually get trimmed (this is not good for a coconut and especially in a cooler climate, palm may enter in shock and redirect its energy for survival), plus they seem to lack enough water which I have read is crucial as well , sometimes it just does not get pollinated and dies, these are just some facts on top of the cool weather (compared to their native environment).  In any case if they did not trim the fruits we would be seeing ripen coconuts more often, I am pretty confident.

The entity responsible for the entire port area is APRAM, right? Is it possible to contact the person(s) responsible for the garden area and raise awareness on this issue of pruning and irrigation?

How about sharing this post with them and also with the Regional Government, the president's "gardener" passion is well known, as well as his world famous collection of roses. It may be that it sensitizes them.

BTW, great photos!:greenthumb: Thanks for sharing!

• Like 1