IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Cookin in Cali

happ

As forecast, today turned quite warm with many readings in the 90's [hot spot in LA area was Beverly Hills @ 97F/36.1c].

Pattern looks set for more heat into the week though cooling down to near normal temps by late in the week.  I could feel the warm-up overnight as the temp rose from 61F/16.1c at midnight to 66F/18.8c by 4:00 AM and soared shortly after sunrise.

Extremely low dew point temps & relative humidity [single digits] and gusty winds have produced the usual wild fires [the worst blaze in Santa Ana Mts near Anaheim  :o

Tonight should stay at or above 70F/21c in foothill locations with possibly hotter maximums tomorrow.

Great for the palms so long as irrigation is provided  :D

LA : 93/63

Los Angeles/Pasadena

34° 10' N   118° 18' W

Elevation: 910'/278m

January Average Hi/Lo: 69F/50F

July Average Hi/Lo: 88F/66F

Average Rainfall: 19"/48cm

USDA 11/Sunset 23

http://cdec.water.ca.gov/cgi-progs/queryF?MTW

Happ-

I'm always amazed at the difference here in Coastal Oceanside when those situations arise. I think I hit 78F ? today with a minor breeze and about 30-40%RH

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

We were at 91F in my backyard today and right now at 7:41pm it is 73.8F  This is just what my sick palms needed, a little boost.

Cypress, Ca.

Just checked my low, cool spot in back at 7:55pm, 60F 70%RH and its 64F out front and 55%RH.  (Can you tell which area has more watered palms)  :D

PS- have not "compared" the sensors in a month but both were with in 1% when last checked......oh yes, Greenhouse at 66F, 80%RH.

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

Bill

Yes as usual wind-sheltered areas were some 10+ degrees cooler.

Here are some interesting differences among today's maximum temperatures :

LAX AIRPORT :  84      

DOWNTOWN/USC :  92

LONG BEACH :  94    

MALIBU :   68  

SANTA MONICA :   86

SANTA MONICA PIER  :  71

CHATSWORTH  :   93

YORBA LINDA  :  95

FULLERTON  :   97

ANAHEIM  :   95

NEWPORT BEACH :  72

LAGUNA BEACH  :   81

OCEANSIDE AIRPORT :  80

VISTA :   88

SOLANA BEACH  :  75

MIRAMAR :  88

SAN DIEGO  :  80

RIVERSIDE : 95

ESCONDIDO : 92

SAN PASQUAL/WILD ANIMAL PARK : 95

SANTEE  :   93

EL CAJON  :   95

Some of these areas are only a few miles apart [several record highs for the date].

Los Angeles/Pasadena

34° 10' N   118° 18' W

USDA 11/Sunset 23

Hopefully these ten days of hot weather will get my Royals moving. No sign of life since the freeze, no spear movement...fingers crossed

If global warming means I can grow Cocos Nucifera, then bring it on....

Steve,

If this weather doesn't get your royals moving then I'm sure if anything will.  Mine have just started to move with in the last week and one spear seems to be opening a little, and this is after 100% defoilation so don't give up hope.  Hope the same works out for you.

Don_L    Rancho CUCAMONGA (yes it does exist) 40 min due east of Los Angeles

USDA Zone 10a

July Averages: Hi 95F, Low 62F

Jan Averages: Hi 68F, Low 45F

i spent a day last week pulling spears from a group of about 180 5gal A. alexandrea's.....

you could just SMELL the death as I walked between the rows, giving a tug on each spear. So far, I figure I will lose about a quarter to a third of them.

Burt...I did the same last week with 5 and 15 gal Rav Glauca..ouch

If global warming means I can grow Cocos Nucifera, then bring it on....

My Royal was defoliated in January when it hit 26F. I trimmed it down to just a long healthy-looking spear last weekend. Since then the spear opened into a leaf to reveal 2 more spears, one 2/3 pushed and the other 1/3. That was it for me. Saturday I bought another 15 gallon royal.

Maybe I'm in 10a after all.

Zone 9b/10a, Sunset Zone 22

7 miles inland. Elevation 120ft (37m)

Average annual low temp: 30F (-1C)

Average annual rainfall: 8" (20cm)

Its nice over here in the bay area too. The temp is 80.3 right now. Finally some warm weather. Strangely enough, I woke up this morning with a temp of 43.2 with some frost on the roof.

Meteorologist and PhD student in Climate Science

Right Zack

90's were observed even in Nor Cal today though restricted to the Central Valley. Really good growing conditions for entire state.  :D

Highest max was 98F/36.6c in Riverside & Death Valley

Should cool down slowly into next week.  No rain on the horizon  :(

LA : 94/64

Los Angeles/Pasadena

34° 10' N   118° 18' W

USDA 11/Sunset 23