IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

My garden Trsteno( Dubrovnik )

Cikas

• 3 months later...

@Cikas How did they pass the last winter? Any problem or all good?

It's almost May! Put more photos buddy you have a GREAT garden. :greenthumb::winkie:

I live in Altea, Spain 38°34'N 0º03'O. USDA zone 11a. Coastal microclimate sheltered by mountains. 
The coconuts shown in my avatar are from the Canary Islands, Spain ! :)

I would like a lot to see the pictures of the garden after the winter! Did you said @Cikas that you have all without protection, right? It would be great to see the status of the palmies! :)

I want to see how passed the winter that Roystoneas you bought the last year; you didn't have any freeze this year, right? Sure they'll be good looking :greenthumb:

I live in Altea, Spain 38°34'N 0º03'O. USDA zone 11a. Coastal microclimate sheltered by mountains. 
The coconuts shown in my avatar are from the Canary Islands, Spain ! :)

Parajubaea torallyi var torallyi

P4190189.jpg

P4190190.jpg

Butia yatay

P4190202.jpg

P4190203.jpg

Livistona decora

P4190186.jpg

P4190187.jpg

There are some nice Butia odorata ( capitata ) near Villa Sheherezade in Dubrovnik. I have two small ones. They are great palms, but still quite rare here in Dubrovnik unfortunately.

The most common palms here are Phoenix canariensis ( they are everywere ), dactylifera, Chamaerops humilis ( we have wild population on Island Lokrum ), Washingtonia robusta, filifera, Trachycarpus fortunei ect..

Villa_Sheherezade.jpg

They filmed Game of Thrones on that balcony, I remember seeing a Butia Capitata in the background, and some large grey palm, possibly either a Copernicia or Brahea Armata.

Edited by GMann

PalmSavannaThumb.jpg

Great place for a palm garden and i really like the stonework !

Both parajubaea should thrive for you as my winter temps are similar down here at 42 deg south

Old Beach ,Hobart
Tasmania ,Australia. 42 " south
Cool Maritime climate

Some new additions.

Another Parajubaeau torallyi var. torallyi

P5150200.jpg

P5150201.jpg

Butia eriospatha

P5150198.jpg

P5150199.jpg

You might want to think about that P tvt. It looks pretty close to the wall, and if it gets one of those 4 ft wide monster trunks...the wall may be in trouble.

Ben Rogers

On the border of Concord & Clayton in the East Bay hills - Elev 387 ft 37.95 °N, 121.94 °W

My back yard weather station: http://www.wunderground.com/cgi-bin/findweather/hdfForecast?query=37.954%2C-121.945&sp=KCACONCO37

no tracy's in your garden??

Carlsbad, California Zone 10 B on the hill (402 ft. elevation)

Sunset zone 24

You might want to think about that P tvt. It looks pretty close to the wall, and if it gets one of those 4 ft wide monster trunks...the wall may be in trouble.

About half a meter from the wall.

no tracy's in your garden??

I have several Trachycarpus species in my garden ( fortunei, takil, martianus ''Khasia Hills'', martianus ''Nepal form'', wagnerianus, latisectus, ukhrulensis ( Manipur )).

Edited by Cikas

Another Parajubaea Cocoides planted in my garden.

P5160194.jpg

P5160195.jpg

Yet another Archontophoenix ( i can never have enough if them )

P5150196.jpg

P5150197.jpg

Edited by Cikas

With Dubrovnik so attractive, who needs coastal areas farther west (unless you want Atlantic beaches for surfing)?

Fla. climate center: 100-119 days>85 F
USDA 1990 hardiness zone 9B
Current USDA hardiness zone 10a
4 km inland from Indian River; 27º N (equivalent to Brisbane)

Central Orlando's urban heat island may be warmer than us

Plants are very closely planted together. In my climate at such proximity and with all this stonework around plants would surely remain stunted! It remains to see whether Dubrovnik is so much moister, that it can be sustained a so crowded planting. An originally achieved balance does not have to last for ever as the plants grow bigger...

Beautiful palms and plants Cikas! :):drool:

With Dubrovnik so attractive, who needs coastal areas farther west (unless you want Atlantic beaches for surfing)?

Thanks. :)

Every coastal area in the world is beautiful and special in their own way.

Plants are very closely planted together. In my climate at such proximity and with all this stonework around plants would surely remain stunted! It remains to see whether Dubrovnik is so much moister, that it can be sustained a so crowded planting. An originally achieved balance does not have to last for ever as the plants grow bigger...

Water is my least problem. Trsteno is part of Dubrovnik known for its natural springs, groundwater and underground streams.

I also profusely water my plants at least 2 times a week during the summer. :)

One Archontophoenix cunninghamiana has reddish new leaf.

P5230179.jpg

P5230180.jpg

Edited by Cikas

• 2 weeks later...