Sign in to follow this  
JasonD

Echinopsis chiloensis

JasonD

Has anyone ever purchased this cactus species from a commercial source? It's native to the Mediterranean-climate region of Central Chile. In fact, it grows in habitat with Jubaea chilensis. At the UC Berkeley Botanical Garden it thrives next to burgeoning young Jubaeas, branching at the base to make 6-10' columns. I'm not sure whether they ever sell it at their plant sales.

There aren't many tall columnar cactus whose habitat is such a perfect match to coastal Central California's. I'd love to see it in more gardens around here.

It's common name in Chile appears to be quisco.

Another versatile large columnar cactus that UC Berkeley has is Echinopsis terscheckii, which is available from many growers in California. It's from the Andes of northwest Argentina.

SailorBold

I have read up on that. I couldn't find any and if I did I would be very weary before I purchased it... just because I have seen a few instances where these plants get mixed up on their voyages.

Does the plant at UC Berkley ever set seed?

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Content

• Darren Michael
      By Darren Michael
      Hello, I'm planning a trip to Chile this November and am interested in seeing Juania australis and/or Jubaea chilensis in habitat. On Juania I haven't been able to find out if the remaining wild specimens are still visible by regular visitors to Robinson Crusoe, and if so, exactly where (though there don't seem to be many hiking options to begin with). For Jubaea, it seems Parque Nacional La Campana is the best spot, at least as far as large protected areas, but I wanted to make sure that there aren't any better but more obscure/still accessible locations.
      Thanks!
      Darren

• Karen717
      By Karen717
      Help! My chamaerops humilis is Bowed over at the top, with multiple stunted spears coming out of the crown but none of them opening properly. While searching for pests, Ive found something that I can’t identify in any palm pest sites. On the trunk at the woody petiole bases, there are a lot of random small round brown things that look like a seed or egg. They have very thin shells, and most of them are hollow with a hole (indicating exit of a larva?). I’ve also spotted a few small white squirming larvae buried deep under the petiole bases. These shells are also littering the soil at the base of the tree. What pest could this be? I’ve been trying insecticidal soap. Or could it be a boron deficiency? (Similar spear problems). I’ve been doing a lot of internet research, but I don’t have much real world experience with These. They have been flourishing until the past year.
    • PalmatierMeg
      By PalmatierMeg
      In early March I bought this gorgeous, fuzzy blue columnar cactus at a sale in Cape Coral. I believe it might be a Pilosocereus but what species? My research has come up with no Pilosocereus that comes close to it. Will a cactus guru tell me what it is?

• PalmatierMeg
      By PalmatierMeg
      Last weekend I attended a plant sale at the Edison-Ford Estates. There I found this little cactus in a 4" pot. Its skin was very blue and its reddish-purple spines formed an attractive pattern. I've never seen one before and have no idea where to look in my Anderson book of cacti. Can anyone tell me what species it is and anything else about it? Thanks.
      Mystery Cactus for ID

• GDLWyverex
      By GDLWyverex
      Just got this fine crest and would like an ID please

Thanks

Richard