Sign in to follow this  
Palm crazy

My Garden Late Summer into Fall.

Palm crazy

Dypsis onilahensis

DSC00011_zps20ca5211.jpg

Dypsis baronii

DSC00005_zps9df7a2ef.jpg

Canna leaves showing off there true colours.

DSC00005copy_zpse10efca3.jpg

DSC00022copy_zps6c7c0af8.jpg

Palm crazy

Part of the backyard.

DSC00015_zps34dbb246.jpg

Brahea armada looking good.

DSC00019_zps712e00f1.jpg

This area is actually 2.5’ higher than the pathway.

DSC00022_zpscc13235e.jpg

Replanted this vine to go up the trachy nanital.

DSC00027copy_zps9b54e7a1.jpg

Palm crazy

Water feature

DSC00033_zps2802334a.jpg

Abutilon orange doing it’s thing all summer long.

DSC00034_zps3b021fb1.jpg

I decided it was time to put the old red glass piece back into the garden.

DSC00039_zpsf265c130.jpg

Looks cool at night.

DSC00044_zps82c634c3.jpg

More pics tomorrow from this fantastic weekend.

Pip

Wow. I love what you have done. I really like your collection of flowering plants mixed with palms.

Tassie_Troy1971

Very nice garden although i do miss your big cat !

Nice mix of colorful foliage ferns and palms

good to see out Tasmanian native tree fern in your garden ! :greenthumb: :greenthumb:

Palm crazy

Wow. I love what you have done. I really like your collection of flowering plants mixed with palms.

Thanks Pip, I try to have something in bloom all year round it the only way I can stand our wet winter.

Very nice garden although i do miss your big cat !

Nice mix of colorful foliage ferns and palms

good to see out Tasmanian native tree fern in your garden ! :greenthumb: :greenthumb:

Troy, I miss the big cats too but the little ones are taking over the garden and doing a good job keeping rats and mice away.

The tree fern takes center stage in the back yard can’t image not having it there.

Thanks for looking guys.

Palm crazy

A few more today.

Finally got Philodendron bipinnatifidum repotted.

DSC00023_zps189c6ec2.jpg

DSC00074_zps44e3b51d.jpg

DSC00005_zps47c2267a.jpg

Fiesta time.

DSC00011_zpsf48eaaed.jpg

Palm crazy

Shadows are getting longer.

DSC00146_zpsefd465a2.jpg

DSC00093_zpsb2b9a9f7.jpg

DSC00068_zpsea65bd76.jpg

Ch. radicalis

DSC00032_zps1d661f7e.jpg

Palm crazy

Livistona chinensis

DSC00024_zpsf8dc4a35.jpg

Chamaedorea glaucifolia is easy to grow.

DSC00112_zps46da4dd6.jpg

DSC00116_zps0e4d125d.jpg

High-ho Silver

DSC00044_zps45488981.jpg

Palm crazy

Check it out the painted pole is all done. I took a simple inexpensive bird house and painted it some tropical colors.

DSC00132_zpsd5789ca4.jpg

DSC00002_zps13d52512.jpg

DSC00009_zpse05f8d59.jpg

Really stand out in the garden, so far everyone loves it.

DSC00002_zpsca377dc6.jpg

All for this weekend. Will post some more next weekend one last Time.

Palm crazy

A few more interesting plants and palms in the garden this week.

How about some Dypsis trunks, these are still small but someday they will be much bigger.

DSC00040_zps88e6984a.jpg

DSC00038_zps82d782bd.jpg

Westside of the garden which is in a courtyard setting.

DSC00072_zps5d0e0324.jpg

Brahea armata, love this palm. I hope it survives this winter.

DSC00081_zps106dbbdf.jpg

Palm crazy

Canna musifolia is very impressive this year, I hear theres a red variety so maybe next year I’ll get one. You can’t see it in this picture but is going to bloom this week.

DSC00100_zps5a276f13.jpg

Green butia is recovering nicely.

DSC00108_zps29ea4a89.jpg

Plain butia. I don’t think last winter did any damage to it.

DSC00114_zps51897284.jpg

DSC00117_zps8fb5b78d.jpg

Palm crazy

Big lovely foliage.

DSC00144_zpsa119131a.jpg

View from bathroom window.

DSC00005_zpsb1eed289.jpg

DSC00024_zps859f791d.jpg

DSC00027_zps178854bb.jpg

Palm crazy

Chamaerops humilis var. cerifera. This is the largest one I have.

DSC00048_zps389bc48c.jpg

DSC00014_zpsc0a2fb4e.jpg

Chamadorea palm

DSC00018_zpsefc7a6a3.jpg

Red on Red.

DSC00021_zpsf9f9d2c4.jpg

Edited by Palm crazy

Palm crazy

Small BxJ F2 finally getting some feather leaves….this is in to much shade but most of my plants are in to much shade… :mrlooney:

DSC00028_zpse5b07b0a.jpg

Another beautiful weekend,

DSC00039_zps1748b678.jpg

Spider season is here. And I do mean here there and everywhere.

DSC00003_zpsa0fc9307.jpg

Earlier this week we had a good amount of rain and it made this canna flowers droop even more.

DSC00005_zps6ca9a39d.jpg

Palm crazy

LED lights are great.

DSC00048_zps6a545cc9.jpg

DSC00044_zpsd610cf59.jpg

Garden comes alive even in darkness.

DSC00041_zpsd1e7a498.jpg

Will post more later today. Thanks for looking.

Palm crazy

Here are the last photos for this posting.

Aloe vera

DSC00001_zpsb74c40a5.jpg

Cordylines

DSC00015_zpsc61d64a9.jpg

The best cold and wet hardy agave.

DSC00024_zpscac3f419.jpg

Last one is chamaedorea plumosa can’t wait to see how this one grows.

DSC00041_zps2b9f0a8e.jpg

Thanks for looking and have a good day.

Edited by Palm crazy

SailorBold

Cool. the photo with the spiderweb near the canna flowers is really neat looking. It would make a nice framed piece of art. Your cerifera is outstanding... looks to be doing quite well with the moisture. I am looking to add one here maybe next spring. Overall it looks awesome and lush.

Have you tried any Chamaerdorea in the ground yet? I bet you they would look amazing- miniature trachy.

Also is that a bracterosa agave?

You have done a lot with your place- all looking good and nice choices.

Palm crazy

Yeah some of those spider webs are over 6’ wide and they’re everywhere here this time of year. Spiders still have another month of growing so they get even bigger and there non poisonous.

The other day I helped a dragon fly out of a web, I saw it fly right into one and only had seconds before the spider was on it. But before I could get it out completely it freed itself and flew away. LOL!

Thanks for the nice comments yeah it pretty lush & green here, I can’t stand looking at non green garden in winter.

Yes on the Agáve bracteosa good eye.

I do have a few chamaedorea radicalis regular and trunking. Both have been in the ground for at least six years. They do pretty good here if they have overhead canopy and in arctic events I just wrap them and their good to go. (no heat needed). 15F or colder will defoliate them but they start growing back in mid - April. The other ones are to tender to stay outside all year so they come inside as house plants. I’ll try and get some pic of the Ch. radicalis for next week.

Chamaerops humilis var. argentea is the second hardiest palm in the PNW. As long as it growing in raise bed and in full sun it never gets damage. I also give them a little overhead protection by growing a trachy behind all of them keeps them dryer and warmer in winter. The biggest one is about 6’ tall and just as wide.

Thanks Again.

Edited by Palm crazy

Explorer

Very nice garden! I see you also grow Canna iridiflora Ehmanii and Hedychium coccineum Tara there. I grow them here to.

Alexander

Palm crazy

Very nice garden! I see you also grow Canna iridiflora Ehmanii and Hedychium coccineum Tara there. I grow them here to.

Alexander

Thanks Alexander, those are some of my favorite non palm plants to grow or anything that has orange colour flowers or foliage is a winner!

Palm crazy

A few more pics from this nice warm weekend.

Here are some Chamaedorea radicalis regular palms.

DSC00009_zps964a8090.jpg

Largest one

DSC00027_zpsc8b5f245.jpg

Here are some Ch. radicalis ‘trunking’

DSC00040_zps9b5ad421.jpg

This one lost it center growth this winter but has recover with a crooked new stem.

DSC00033_zpsfcd04a95.jpg

Palm crazy

More…

DSC00025_zps1c8e81a2.jpg

DSC00018_zpscc80c850.jpg

Eight foot canna blooming.

DSC00047_zps6524fa7a.jpg

JxBf2

DSC00101_zps2987f65d.jpg

DSC00096_zps45cd2324.jpg

Palm crazy

DSC00093_zps7a6500f8.jpg

DSC00059_zps04ec7000.jpg

DSC00047_zps47b27888.jpg

Baby JxB f2

DSC00021_zps03a4fca1.jpg

Palm crazy

More exotic palms been in the ground for several years.

BxJxQ Still hanging in there. Was replanted to this new spot last fall.

DSC00039_zps00ed889f.jpg

BxQ been in the ground for five years, finally getting some larger palm leaves. Growing underneath a big old holly tree for overhead protection.

DSC00037_zps31cc4802.jpg

Largest Butia

DSC00025_zps04cbfb4e.jpg

Again thanks for looking time to get out and enough this awesome sunshine. :)

Palm crazy

That should read…Enjoy this awesome sunshine after this little rain cloud goes away…. :asleep:

Matt

I enjoy the pics of your garden. You have created a realy exotic vibe with al those colours and foliage

Palm crazy

Thanks Matt, glad you enjoy them even though it not really that exotic compare to other warmer zone 8. Just like you, I do fine it fun to grow some of the less hardy palms that help to give that tropical feel. Are rainy season is only days away and then everything is down hill from there till next spring. LOL! Hope to see you posting some more pic of your awesome garden.

Thanks for looking.

Roger.

Palm crazy

Well the rainy season has decided to start today! Nice sun breaks in-between heavy rain today. All next week is going to be wet, wet, wet.

Growing season is over, so I will see you guys and gals later.

Hope this winter is kind to all.

Rain video.

http://i1126.photobucket.com/albums/l618/mygarden12/th_MOV00001_zps7890e39d.mp4

Jubaea_James760

Wow what an amazing garden u have! U really no how yo put every thing together, amazing job u did! That blue med. & blue Mexican is looking beautiful in ur pnw climate,

Palm crazy

Thanks James, it is what it is….it really a collectors garden since I like most plants, and it never seem to stop. LOL! I never seem to be happy with it but then theres those times when i’m like “wow" this is my backyard.

It a lot of fun sitting in the evening with friends or by myself. Thanks!

Edited by Palm crazy

smithgn

Rain season has started? I was watching the Seatle Seahawks game today and laughed at the fact it was sunny and for the last two days here it was rainy, gloomy and humid lol. Where are you in Washington?

Pip

I never get tired looking at your garden. The rain just adds to the exotic feel

Palm crazy

Thanks Phillip, I’ve enjoy your posting too.

There was a Tornado warning right before that rain storm hit. Warming was about 15 miles to the east of me. Luckily we don’t get them very often, actually rare here.

Here an update pic of my BxQ palm.

edc1e522-c52e-4543-be9a-15227c324bb7_zps

DSC00002-1_zps5695671d.jpg

Edited by Palm crazy

Palm crazy

Rain season has started? I was watching the Seatle Seahawks game today and laughed at the fact it was sunny and for the last two days here it was rainy, gloomy and humid lol. Where are you in Washington?

Well we do get some sun breaks once in awhile…LOL! Sunday and Monday was nice here dry but rain at night. I live in the capital city of Olympia, south of Seattle by 70 miles. Seattle is 5 degree warmer than me at night pretty much all year, but the summers in Olympia are 5 degrees warmer than seattle usually. Seattle 8b, Olympia 8a. A summer day in the PNW would go like this, Seattle 80F, Olympia 85F, Portland, OR 90F. Farther south you go it gets warmer.

Are rainy season usually start the end of October and last till mid May, Only 55” a year, but Seattle is only around 40-45”. Here this weeks weather example…

http://www.weather.com/weather/tenday/USWA0318 The official weather station is south of Olympia so the lows are even colder there than they are here in Town by quit a bit.

Its very wet here now but we still get sun breaks, LOL! November is when it really gets dark and rainy here. Also the coldest weather is is from mid November to late February. My early March I am out of the really cold killing weather, but can still get down to 25F in March. Coldest months Dec and Jan, H/L 45f/34F is average. The winter exotic weeds are loving the rain and are really growing fast now like Echium pininana and Solanum aviculare, commonly called Poroporo (New Zealand) or Kangaroo Apple (Australia), is a soft-wooded shrub native to New Zealand and the east coast of Australia.

It can grow up to 12 feet tall (4 metres). The leaves are, 8–30 cm long, lobed or entire, with any lobes being 1–10 cm long. Both plants are exotic weeds here on the west coast.

Edited by Palm crazy

smithgn

Very interesting. That extra bit of warmth in the summer enables a good bit more growth than if you were in Seattle... But then again, with you being colder in the winter you have to fight that. Pick your poison, I suppose, Haha. No wonder everything is so green, 55 inches! Wow. I bet you rarely have to water?

It's about the same here, as far as the cold goes from November to February. We still had freezing temps up till March as well.

So I ordered a few palms today from JungleMusic... That picture of your dypsis onihalensis is what finally sold me on purchasing a small seedling to try here. I've been contemplating it for a few months now. How does it do up your way? Do you move it inside during the winter?

Palm crazy

Very interesting. That extra bit of warmth in the summer enables a good bit more growth than if you were in Seattle... But then again, with you being colder in the winter you have to fight that. Pick your poison, I suppose, Haha. No wonder everything is so green, 55 inches! Wow. I bet you rarely have to water?

It's about the same here, as far as the cold goes from November to February. We still had freezing temps up till March as well.

So I ordered a few palms today from JungleMusic... That picture of your dypsis onihalensis is what finally sold me on purchasing a small seedling to try here. I've been contemplating it for a few months now. How does it do up your way? Do you move it inside during the winter?

I have to water weekly in the months of July, August, September… the dryest months of the year. (Less than 1/2” in July & Aug.) Wet in winter, Dry in summer here, grass in green in winter not in summer unless you water it. Most gardener let them go brown in summer. Believe it of Not, we actually have native cactus, sedum on both sizes of the mountains.

I got the Dypsis onilahensis ‘weeping form’ from JD Andersen Nursery as a one gallon three years go. Has done very good and I do bring inside in the fall before it gets to cold. Once it gets to lower than 60F days I bring all my tender palms inside for the winter where they put out two new leaves, sunniest widow here is east facing.

When their young they need dabble shade when outside for the spring - summer. I wait till I know the nights will stay in the 50’s, early June here.

Glad you got one, very easy to grow. Post some pics when you get yours.

Edited by Palm crazy

Palm crazy

Here a fun little project I did recently with an old mexican pot I haven’t uses in years.

I wanted to give it a new facelift with some tropical colors.

Raw beginning.

DSC00009_zps4af05241.jpg

After a quick clean up the first colors goes on.

DSC00024_zpsd14d035d.jpg

More layers of paint.

DSC00030_zps9fdeaaa0.jpg

All done. Ready to put outside to see how it looks.

DSC00035_zps034373d2.jpg

Palm crazy

Now to see how it looks outside in daylight.

DSC00006_zps43d9cf3f.jpg

DSC00009copy_zps3126ed8e.jpg

DSC00012_zpsf587d45c.jpg

DSC00015_zps224b4648.jpg

Palm crazy

Next spring I will plant some thing inside, I’m thinking a nice agave would look really cool.

Colors I uses are Marigold yellow, Orange poppy, Bright lime green, Blue bahama, and Tango blue. I think it came out pretty good considering this is my first time trying this. I used Patio paint which is used for outdoor and will not flake, peal, or crack, it will simply fade giving an antique look over time.

DSC00018_zps5a4bd2e9.jpg

Hope this inspires other to try their own little project. Thanks for looking.

Edited by Palm crazy
  • Upvote 1