IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Spring has sprung in the south

Kennybenjamin

Yeee bloody haaaaa....... About time too!!! Big storm here this arvo... Biggest downpour I can recall seeing in a very very long time.. It came down hard and fast and lasted about 40 minutes.

I'm going to say 115mm in in 40 min.

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

Gone from dry as a bone to this...

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

Help, my lemur is drowning...

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

Must be a great feeling Ben, Nil here so far but "Patience is a virtue", and like the Pears shampoo add says "It may not happen overnight, but, It will happen.

Below is Bris rainfall, you have more than "all" recorded, lucky you.

Pete :)

post-5709-0-16085800-1416388283_thumb.gi

Yeah Pete, weather man on the news said 87mm was the highest recorded.... That was very close to my location. It must be my day!!

Yeah Pete, weather man on the news said 87mm was the highest recorded.... That was very close to my location. It must be my lucky day!!

Yeah Pete, weather man on the news said 87mm was the highest recorded.... That was very close to my location. It must be my lucky day!!

just to the Nth and East of here folks had 50mm weve had 50 drops so far :)

Thats a good quick drop Ben n Paul, hope Dec is "Wet"

Pete

Lucky boys....

Apparently some areas of Brisbane recorded over 75mm in 30 minutes!

The storm was pretty good near my workplace in the Valley. Got home to find we had 3mm :bummed:

Gold Coast, Queensland Latitude 28S. Mild, Humid Subtropical climate. Rainfall - not consistent enough!

Here is a photo of a thunderstorm over Vitor Harbour south of where I live. It taken this morning by one of my old high school mates who is enjoys taking landscape photos. From the colour of the grass it looks more like mid summer rather than late spring.

post-10546-0-92058500-1416824688_thumb.j

Adelaide has been enjoying cooler weather for the past few days. Today I had the opportunity to go for a cruise around Holdfast Bay. Leaving Glenelg traveling south to Merino Rocks and back to the Glenelg marina.

It is a hard life somedays.

post-10546-0-78577800-1416897325_thumb.jpost-10546-0-06906200-1416897362_thumb.jpost-10546-0-86298100-1416897393_thumb.jpost-10546-0-70629400-1416897429_thumb.jpost-10546-0-16251800-1416897462_thumb.jpost-10546-0-23172700-1416897486_thumb.j

I'm away (in Cairns) at the moment but been following the weather at home. There's been rain around but not much at home. At least temperatures are down, humidity up and plenty of cloud cover which the plants will be enjoying. Maximum temperature only got to 36, probably our coldest day for the past few months.

Was that a white pointer I saw? No that was 2 weeks ago at the tyre reef - at least another 100ms out...

And I used to swim out there as a kid.

Climatic Zone: Vile..

Perfect palm growing conditions here for the last week or so and the plants are responding appropriately!! Good times in my garden currently!!

I have just introduced some new technology into my house recently and it allows me to tell you the precise conditions in my garden.... Since installing these are the recordings... ( in future I will be able to show a graph for the last 7 days I think )

post-6412-0-26459000-1416990356_thumb.jppost-6412-0-52752000-1416990427_thumb.jp

This doesn't show the 130mm of rain in the last week!

Was that a white pointer I saw? No that was 2 weeks ago at the tyre reef - at least another 100ms out...

And I used to swim out there as a kid.

Um well no but, that the Summerton Park beach was closed suddenly over the weekend while a shark was encouraged away from the swimmers. Lol

Hey Ben, can you provide some more detail on your new bit of kit please?

How long is the data stored for, assume it is temp and humidity only, can you download the data, make etc.

53mm yday arvo which was very "soothing", did todays "hail storm" hit any of you Qlders ? thank fk it didnt visit here.

We got 1mm here...yay!

At work in Brisbane we got smashed by the hailstorm...lots of broken windows up there tonight

Gold Coast, Queensland Latitude 28S. Mild, Humid Subtropical climate. Rainfall - not consistent enough!

Yep the hail got me today!! I would have much preferred daryls 1mm of rain and no hail as opposed to the 45mm of rain and marble sized hail I received!! Some shredded leaves but the real damage will be visible in about 3 or 4 days I would say??

Also the wind was crazy, reports of 141km / hour winds about 2 km away from me, I'm not surprised... I love storms but didn't enjoy this one!

Both our growing and retail nurseries will be in bad shape I am guessing..... Find out am tomorrow??

Hope there is not too much damage Ben

I drove through some badly damaged parts of town today and I have realised how lucky I was. I might have some hail damaged broms and palms and broken tree branches but I still have a roof, walls and my trees were not snapped at the base....... Many others around town weren't so lucky.

The storms path was straight over me but at that stage the wind was the storms biggest tool and luckily I am located down in a little hollow and the worst of the winds would have blown straight over me rather than through the house / garden.

As the storm progressed towards the city the hail got much larger. I had lots of marble sized hail but the cbd received baseball sized hail!

I have seen the damage today and think I dodged a bullet at home

Hoe all the palmtalkers got thru ok. Stuart, are you ok, I know Paul just got some rain.

8 freaking mm. That's all we saw. Some hail the size of peas as well. My place is due for sprinklers again! Disappointing but we're on a bit of a roll now. My turn's gotta be next!

Surely 0mm is better than that hail Stuart! I saw a vid on YouTube with all these cars banked up at traffic lights, with big hail stones bouncing off them.

Surely 0mm is better than that hail Stuart! I saw a vid on YouTube with all these cars banked up at traffic lights, with big hail stones bouncing off them.

sure is, our gardens are still recovering 12 mnths after being "smashed" by a "severe" hailstorm.