IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Spring has sprung in the south

Kennybenjamin

My bore goes down at least 23m only thing is that I have no idea if the equipment is still in working order. The electricity was disconnected by the developers of my street back in 2007. The bore was used to irrigate the grapevines and was drilled in the 1980's is a project for after I complete my studies

Is this bore drilling allowed on your average suburban city block??

The law in WA is that you're allowed to drill anywhere on your own property. Drilling on the council strip is not allowed for obvious reasons. The Waters and Rivers Commission in WA has drawn a map of the Perth area advising where it is probably not worth drilling due to salt contamination of ground water. This is normally an issue close to the ocean, or along tidal rivers. The only place I know of that you are not allowed to drill is an area just north of the Perth CBD where the ground water has been contaminated by chemicals due to pollution from an old dump site back in the 50's and using that water will literally kill everything in your garden. The other thing you can not do, is drill so deep that you hit the artesian water supply. To do that you have to bust through the cap rock and then you don't require a pump to get it to the surface. In fact you'll probably flood your property and everyone elses. The artesian supply in the Perth area can be as high as 20m below the ground level. The artesian water supply is under pressure from the Darling ranges and there are huge fines for tapping that without very special permission.

In regards to other states, you'd need to check with the authorities, but I'd imagine that sinking a normal bore into the "superficial aquifer" on your own suburban property should be allowed. You could also speak to any drillers in your local area to get an idea of the local conditions etc.

Millbrook, "Kinjarling" Noongar word meaning "Place of Rain", Rainbow Coast, Western Australia 35S. Warm temperate. Csb Koeppen Climate classification. Cool nights all year round.

I put down a bore here on my property. It goes down 15 metres and has a flow of approximately 2500 gallons an hour. A bit of calcium in it but otherwise is very good water. I have been running a standard garden hose off it for the past number of months but have just laid 40mm poly around the acreage. When the weather cools late I am going to head out and pressure test it all.....then watch me pump that sucker :)

Andrew,
Airlie Beach, Whitsundays

Tropical Queensland

About 38 Celsius at my place today with a small amount of rain to end the day.... 4mm. Nowhere near enough rain after a scorching day but I'll take it.

With only a couple of days left in October it seems that here in Brisbane we are set to have our driest October on record.... By a long way. Not the sort of news I wanted to be reporting but if you look at the very first post of this thread you will see that I am not surprised by this news.

Today we had high sun, from tomorrow the sun is to our south (and less intense, LOL). Still hot and still dry. Average maximum is now running at 38.5 for October. No likelihood of any rain for some time with this new surge of dry air pushing through. My bore is really earning its keep, and sending me broke with electricity charges.

On the matter of bores, these are some real figures from some friends who had a new bore put in earlier this year. Not guesses or anything.

42 metres rotary drilling
41 metres 150mm bore casing
6 metre collar pipe and grout
cement slab
1 hours airlift and development and casing adjustment
redrill of existing bore, pull pump and install in new bore

Total cost including GST $11,022.75, and that was without having to buy a new pump as they used the one from their old bore.

Interesting that they put a cement slab in and grouted it. Never seen that done before. Also it's a 150mm casing which is quite large. Normally down here they're 100mm unless you're starting to try and pull up very large amounts like 500 litres per minute or more. There would undoubtedly be a reason why they've done that though, but I personally don't know why.

Millbrook, "Kinjarling" Noongar word meaning "Place of Rain", Rainbow Coast, Western Australia 35S. Warm temperate. Csb Koeppen Climate classification. Cool nights all year round.

Brisbane's previous record for the driest October was set in 2007 ( I think ) with 21mm for that month, this October we recorded 5mm. Not a great start to our growing season.

Ouch, I can feel the water bill from here. I assume the summer months are usually wetter?

Climatic Zone: Vile..

Melbourne 32.9°c at 4.27 pm today (Friday). Tomorrows forecast, 17° max, windy and maybe some hail in the arvo.

Really....

The only good news - maybe 10mm rain.

October has ended on a dry note, although in a way there shouldn't be any complaints. The lowest ever recorded was zero, highest 160mm, and this October I got 40.5mm, even though more than half of that came in 15 minutes. The worst is that relative humidity has been exceptionally low. So with the average maximum temperature for the month at 38.5 a lot of plants are very stressed, and a few have "fallen by the wayside".

Weather bureau is hinting at some rain/storms next week with maximum temperatures getting down as low as 33. Would be nice for a change, haven't had a 33 since mid August.

Tyrone, the Australian national standard sets the minimums required for bores, local jurisdictions can then add more bits and pieces. The 150mm is the standard here.The purpose of the slab is to stabilise the surface and protect the aquifer from getting contaminated by surface water. And hence the requirement for the grout as well. If they haven't been doing that then they're in breach of the standard and shows they're not being effectively controlled. Contamination of the aquifer can have serious consequences. I certainly wouldn't want any "hillbilly" drillers contaminating "my" aquifer.

Mandatory Requirements

All bores shall be sealed to protect the production zone against contamination.

This also includes the annular space between the casings and the borehole.

In multiple aquifer bores there shall also be a seal between the aquifers and permeable zones to prevent intermixing,

Stuart, we had 7mm's this morning. It's cool today but warming back up tomorrow. Hope you guys get some rain soon.

October has ended on a dry note, although in a way there shouldn't be any complaints. The lowest ever recorded was zero, highest 160mm, and this October I got 40.5mm, even though more than half of that came in 15 minutes. The worst is that relative humidity has been exceptionally low. So with the average maximum temperature for the month at 38.5 a lot of plants are very stressed, and a few have "fallen by the wayside".

Weather bureau is hinting at some rain/storms next week with maximum temperatures getting down as low as 33. Would be nice for a change, haven't had a 33 since mid August.

Tyrone, the Australian national standard sets the minimums required for bores, local jurisdictions can then add more bits and pieces. The 150mm is the standard here.The purpose of the slab is to stabilise the surface and protect the aquifer from getting contaminated by surface water. And hence the requirement for the grout as well. If they haven't been doing that then they're in breach of the standard and shows they're not being effectively controlled. Contamination of the aquifer can have serious consequences. I certainly wouldn't want any "hillbilly" drillers contaminating "my" aquifer.

Mandatory Requirements

All bores shall be sealed to protect the production zone against contamination.

This also includes the annular space between the casings and the borehole.

In multiple aquifer bores there shall also be a seal between the aquifers and permeable zones to prevent intermixing,

Never seen a 150mm hole mate. They take a different size (150mm diameter) pump for a start. I can understand the reason for the concrete and grouting in the NT with huge flood waters etc. It's just not necessary down here. The bore holes are all still sealed but not with concrete and grout down here. Many bores are also a 1.2m diameter soak well driven one on top of the other into the ground. It's a bit hard to seal them. Many older gardens have that setup here.

Septic tanks are more of a problem for ground water contamination than anything else.

The weather has been slowly warming here. Been hitting the high twenties but the nights are still cool. Mountain subtropical weather. Had a couple of mm of rain overnight too. Been planting out giant bamboo so it should like this.

Tyrone, a septic is only about a metre underground, in the layer with all the roots and highest micro-organism concentration and underlayed with undisturbed soil. A bore is is an unobstructed way direct down to 40 or 50 metres deep. Big difference. So the biggest risks to the aquifer are bores put down not in accordance with the Australian national standard, especially in areas where there are septics.(no offence to our friends over the other side of the pond, LOL).

Things have livened up here and we got some of the rain that was predicted. I got 21.8mm, one place about 25 kms away got 108mm. But the lower temperatures predicted never eventuated, although the maximum yesterday did only get to 37.3. It brought the average maximum for November (so far) down from 39.3 to 38.8. The humidity is up though which the plants are liking much better. Weekend looks like back to nil chance of rain and more heat. But at least for now there's a massive line of storms moving in from central and west Arnhem Land towards us. Might be in for a wet night if they don't fizzle.

Tyrone, a septic is only about a metre underground, in the layer with all the roots and highest micro-organism concentration and underlayed with undisturbed soil. A bore is is an unobstructed way direct down to 40 or 50 metres deep. Big difference. So the biggest risks to the aquifer are bores put down not in accordance with the Australian national standard, especially in areas where there are septics.(no offence to our friends over the other side of the pond, LOL).

Things have livened up here and we got some of the rain that was predicted. I got 21.8mm, one place about 25 kms away got 108mm. But the lower temperatures predicted never eventuated, although the maximum yesterday did only get to 37.3. It brought the average maximum for November (so far) down from 39.3 to 38.8. The humidity is up though which the plants are liking much better. Weekend looks like back to nil chance of rain and more heat. But at least for now there's a massive line of storms moving in from central and west Arnhem Land towards us. Might be in for a wet night if they don't fizzle.

double post for some reason.

No offence Tropicbreeze, but if your water table is 2-10m below ground on sand which is most of Perth then a septic tank is going to have the potential to pollute a water table. It's a well known fact.

Here they talk about the "superficial aquifer". That is the water held between grains of sand. It's not some big underground chasm. I think it's entirely possible that you may not have this superficial aquifer in the NT, and you are accessing the actual aquifer, that we call the artesian basin here. This is much deeper and you can't tap that without very special permission and yes, you need a concrete pad and shut off valve for that. Here though you don't need a pump to get it to the surface as it comes out under pressure. These sort of bores are very rare and normally not allowed for domestic applications. This is the sort of bore the water authority uses for the domestic supply in some cases.

The weathers a bit schizo here. It got to 27C yesterday. It's raining at the moment and going for an official max of 17C, then Monday will be 30C and Wed 16C. Nothing consistent except inconsistency.

Nice hot day today, not sure how official these figures are, but Perth 38c, where I am in Secret Harbour 31c.

Got down to the beach for the first time in a while today :)

Thunderstorms have lit fires down here. It got to 31.1C today after a low of 15C which is the highest in a long while. I was listening to the fire radio at work and it sounds like a house was lost out near Manypeaks.

But an electrically charged evening is just great for palms and bamboo. Hopefully we'll have a humid, stormy summer down here.

Hot here currently...34 today then 41 for Sat/Sun and 36 for Monday...then 32 for the rest of the week...hope we get some rain to go with it!

Daryl

Gold Coast, Queensland Latitude 28S. Mild, Humid Subtropical climate. Rainfall - not consistent enough!

There's been a bit of rain around here lately, although only in dribs and drabs. But it's brought the temperatures down. From an average daily maximum of 39.3 early in the month it's now down to 38.1 for November so far. And yesterday it only got to 35.8, the lowest since September. Total rainfall for the month so far is 33.6 mm.

Cloud's a bit too low to get good colours, but still not a bad sunrise this morning.

pt_n_141116_02.jpg

Hopefully not windy with the 41° Ben.

One of the few chances to gloat from a Melbournian. Had 33mm of rain last night, a few hours after I planted a Chambey, 2 Cham tenalla's, Beccariophoenix alfredi, some hostas, and a chilli! Couldn't have timed it better.

That 33 mm would be a dream for us right now Roger! It would be a guess but i would say I would have had a cumulative 33mm in the last 3 months?

I said to the boys earlier today that I would pay $100 to someone if they could produce a nice storm in brissie this arvo with a good 25mm soaking!

How are your Chambeyronias going Ben ? I haven't seen mine for a few weeks, I moved two last visit, expecting severe damage again.

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

Channel 9 reported 38.9 in Brisbane today, not sure what the go is but Im certainly not complaining, we got 32 over at the bayside phew :winkie:

41.3 here today...it was 38C by 10am and stayed hot the whole day...still 30C now at 8:30

Gold Coast, Queensland Latitude 28S. Mild, Humid Subtropical climate. Rainfall - not consistent enough!

How are your Chambeyronias going Ben ? I haven't seen mine for a few weeks, I moved two last visit, expecting severe damage again.

So far so good this year Wal..... I have been giving them plenty of water though. The burn you see in the pics below is from last summer, they now have at least 2 clean leaves each with a 3rd not far away.

post-6412-0-96398100-1416204700_thumb.jppost-6412-0-60137400-1416204755_thumb.jp

They look great ben. I felt a few spits as I left work today! Forecast for drizzle then showers today and the same tomorrow and possibly storms! I hope this actually happens though and isn't more hype

Yeee bloody haaaaa....... About time too!!! Big storm here this arvo... Biggest downpour I can recall seeing in a very very long time.. It came down hard and fast and lasted about 40 minutes.

I'm going to say 115mm in in 40 min.

post-6412-0-40025400-1416380181_thumb.jp

Gone from dry as a bone to this...

post-6412-0-96204900-1416380339_thumb.jp

Help, my lemur is drowning...

post-6412-0-01871800-1416380627_thumb.jp

And I'm very happy about it too Roger!! Don't know the official stats but it's probably just doubled my total for the calendar year so far?