IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

comic097

Hi all, came home from work today and noticed my Ravenea rivularis showing some serious signs of fronds turning brown, a couple of weeks ago I noticed that the smallest of the triple planted was very soft in the trunk, now the bigger one is starting to get soft and sounding hollowish, is there something I can drench the base with or is it a goner

so this little fella is about to get pushed over thats how soft the trunk is

post-7381-0-91246400-1410490083_thumb.jp

so its obviously the bigger trunk to the left with the brown fronds

post-7381-0-02021100-1410490108_thumb.jp

post-7381-0-55566600-1410490163_thumb.jp

post-7381-0-29974600-1410490185_thumb.jp

I know what will fix your problem. A chainsaw. There's a few companies that make them and they should be available from the big box stores and smaller power garden retailers. Just start it up and place the spinning chain at strategic points in the base of the trunk and watch it fall. Then dig out the base and put in something awesome. Ie anything other than a dypsis. Your welcome ;-)

Nasty. I suspect you should take em out - roots and all. Throw a bit of fuel on the ground where the roots were...and burn that too. Then plant a Cyphophoenix nucele in some nice fresh soil.

Just north of Cairns, Australia....16 Deg S.
Tropical climate: from 19C to 34C.

Spending a lot of time in Manila, Philippines... 15 Deg N.
Tropical climate: from 24C to 35C.

Nasty. I suspect you should take em out - roots and all. Throw a bit of fuel on the ground where the roots were...and burn that too. Then plant a Cyphophoenix nucele in some nice fresh soil.

I know what will fix your problem. A chainsaw. There's a few companies that make them and they should be available from the big box stores and smaller power garden retailers. Just start it up and place the spinning chain at strategic points in the base of the trunk and watch it fall. Then dig out the base and put in something awesome. Ie anything other than a dypsis. Your welcome ;-)

Your just saying anything other than a dypsis because you want all the dypsis for yourself!!

Arghhhhh! My addiction to Dypsis has been revealed! Its true, its true. Im a converted dypsis fan. There's just too many varieties with different attributes. Damn you dypsis, with your cold hardiness and lack of supplemental water. DAMN YOU!!!!

Hey Miccles, how are ya mate, agree with everything, I already have a C. nucele planted around the side of the yard, been racking my brain, thinking how good a satakentia will look there in years to come ? nice big canopy.

maybe a double planting http://www.palmtalk.org/forum/index.php?/topic/41051-satakentia-in-singapore/?hl=satakentia

Edited by comic097

Good thinking. Dare I say neovitchia storkii?

Haha wishful thinking, ive got 2 satakentias on standby, looks like the chainsaws will be moving next week, if not tomorrow

Satakentia in SE Qld Paul is "painfully slow", plant a fast growing colourful Condapanna :)

Not a bad idea Pete, nice and colourful and quick, win win :winkie:

Satakentia in SE Qld Paul is "painfully slow", plant a fast growing colourful Condapanna :)

Paul already has 3 condopanna in the ground. It's definitely all over for those rivularis, it's now a matter of what to replace them with!!

Without transplanting condopanna's!!

Not a bad idea Pete, nice and colourful and quick, win win :winkie:

Dig the biggest of your 3, transplant and there you go watch it grow :)

Some different ideas for you...

Arenga pinnata

Dypsis lanceolata

Attalea sp.

But yes a double satakentia would ultimately look good!

I would plant a dypsis marojejya grove if it were my garden!

well theres plenty of room, maybe make a smallish oval shaped garden bed with dictyocaryum lamarckianum, condapannas mind you Ive got dictyocaryum lamarckianum already in the ground ?

What about a grove of Pinanga red caesia :winkie: on a serious note, ill cut them down and get someone in with a stump grinder, then have a good think

Edited by comic097

Or a marojejya sp. eg daranii or insignis, there are many options here

Good choice Ben, I like that :greenthumb:

That would look very impressive

I am looking forward to hearing what your wife says to be honest. You have been trying to get rid of those rivularis for years. Dig them out, extend the garden bed, and the world is your oyster.

Well here's the latest, walked out this morning to find the smallest of the 3 laying on the ground, had that very strong smell of rot in the air

post-7381-0-87368500-1410648370_thumb.jp

post-7381-0-66785300-1410648387_thumb.jp

post-7381-0-10856800-1410648405_thumb.jp