IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Not all queens are created equal.

_Keith

The old girl next to the old barn is back and looking better than any other queen in this area. One cold hardy queen I tell ya.

post-1207-0-37823500-1410225616_thumb.jp

In my post I sometimes express "my" opinion. Warning, it may differ from "your" opinion. If so, please do not feel insulted, just state your own if you wish. Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or any other damages

It's ok if you want to trim it. It's almost the end of summer.

David Simms zone 9a on Highway 30a

200 steps from the Gulf in NW Florida

30 ft. elevation and sandy soil

I've wondered if we should be cross pollinating our palms that have survived unusually cold winters (for a given species) with other survivors. In other words, instead of working on hybrids, lets use known cold hardy individuals and see if we can breed for that as a trait.

Might take awhile to see how successful we are, but on the other hand it's not all that difficult either.

Garrett

It's ok if you want to trim it. It's almost the end of summer.

It is a good ways off from house. That old 2-horse barn is now the equipment shed where I park the mowers, 4-wheeler, etc. I am content to let them drop on their own.

In my post I sometimes express "my" opinion. Warning, it may differ from "your" opinion. If so, please do not feel insulted, just state your own if you wish. Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or any other damages

I am very curious to see whether and to which extent cold hardiness gets inherited. Some other traits like leaflets width surely do! A friend of mine collected seeds form two kinds of Arecastrum in the Loro parquet in Tenerife (a robust one and a gracile one), and indeed offspring from the gracile one starts showing this trait, I love its look!

I saw a lone queen survivor that was thriving at the beach as well... and thought it would be excellent pollen for collection to cross.

I don't get to see Queen palms too much, but the ones I have seen are in pictures and have a much smaller and compact crown. Keith, this crown your Queen has is gaudy compared to what I have seen!

Keith, that thing is positively -- GASP! :bemused: :bemused: -- Californian! Could use a little trim of the dead leaves (for BBQ starter if nothing else) but other than that, I'd feel right at home with it in view.

Hmm . . .

Witchcraft? Care to share the incantations and spells? :hmm:

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

• 5 months later...

Happily, I found 4 seedlings under the queen from the winter of doom, sorry Dave, but it was an adequate description from a queen's point of view. The big girl is still recovering nicely with this winter being no real challenge thus far. I am gonna pump it up with ferts this summer. And it is holding 2 large groups of fruit up there now, so maybe some more cold hardy queen progeny on the way.

IMG_20130402_134146_zpsb8576f70.jpg

IMG_20130402_134152_zps5ed0782d.jpg

This is a really nice looking queen palm by my house. Very graceful looking.. I wish they'd let it seed.. lol

Oh and keith, I'm assuming in the pic you posted, the palm in the front is your mule palm?

A lot of palm fronds in that picture. Immediately to the right is a mule, then some Trachies, and then top of my CIDP. And upper far right is a mule, and yes, that is my newest Mule in the right foreground.

A lot of palm fronds in that picture. Immediately to the right is a mule, then some Trachies, and then top of my CIDP. And upper far right is a mule, and yes, that is my newest Mule in the right foreground.

Beautiful mules. I gotta plant mine. It's pushing it's way up out of a 5 gallon.. it wants to grow deep roots. Thanks for posting.

IMG_20130402_134146_zpsb8576f70.jpg

IMG_20130402_134152_zps5ed0782d.jpg

This is a really nice looking queen palm by my house. Very graceful looking.. I wish they'd let it seed.. lol

Sorry Dan,I see well grown queens planted out in gardens and also in the forests here, and for my "standard" this is an ugly queen....

Carambeí, 2nd tableland of the State Paraná , south Brazil.

Alt:1030m. Native palms: Queen, B. eriospatha, B. microspadix, Allagoptera leucocalyx , A.campestris, Geonoma schottiana, Trithrinax acanthocoma. Subtr. climate, some frosty nights. No dry season. August: driest month. Rain:1700mm

I am seeking for cold hardy palms!

• 4 weeks later...

Here is a better picture of the big girl, still showing the scars of the bad winter and recovering, but 24 this winter was a non-event.

post-1207-0-88829100-1426289745_thumb.jp

• Upvote 1