IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

(Another) Palm ID requested...

jfrye01@live.com

This is a picture inside the "Jungle" exhibit (based on the Amazon) at the Sedgwick County Zoo in Wichita. Since I was a little kid, I have always wondered what these palms are. I have asked, but none of the zookeepers seem to know...lol. They look like Livistona to me, but I'm honestly not sure.

post-9451-0-85619600-1409805464_thumb.jp

El_Dorado.gif

They look like Washingtonia, especially the larger one. Not exactly what would be in the Amazons, huh? Otherwise, that's a nice humid, tropical looking setup. Strelitzia nicolai (giant bird of paradise) is in the background.

Jim in Los Altos, CA  SF Bay Area 37.34N- 122.13W- 190' above sea level

zone 10a/9b

sunset zone 16

300+ palms, 90+ species in the ground

Las Palmas Design

Facebook Page

Las Palmas Design & Associates

Elegant Homes and Gardens

Haha, guess they got some cheap palms and threw them in there, knowing most people probably can't tell the difference anyway:P And yes, that bird of paradise is very attractive, it's always pretty when it flowers! :)

El_Dorado.gif

I agree its Washingtonia... Very cool. We have a rainforest-type exhibit in one of our museums.. they planted a Washingtonia that eventually grew into the roof.

Kind of makes me want to rip a room out of my house and turn it into an atrium with skylights. I would def. put a livistonia or elephant palm inside it.. the leaves are amazing.

Neat.

Cheers-

wxBanner?bannertype=wu_clean2day_cond&pw

I have always had a similar fantasy...I've always wanted to build some type of biodome and fill it with adonidia, roystonea, cocos, chamaedorea, and tons of other tropicals...oh, maybe someday if I'm rich...for now, I'm happy with my cold hardy outdoor palms:)

El_Dorado.gif

There is also some kind of Dypsis down in the sinkhole. Kinda disappointing when plants from North America (Washingtonia) and Africa (Bird of Paradise) are used in an exhibit on the Amazon.

I have always had a similar fantasy...I've always wanted to build some type of biodome and fill it with adonidia, roystonea, cocos, chamaedorea, and tons of other tropicals...oh, maybe someday if I'm rich...for now, I'm happy with my cold hardy outdoor palms:)

When both you and I are rich, we'll be off to Hawaii or somewhere that does not need a biodome!

Ben Rogers

On the border of Concord & Clayton in the East Bay hills - Elev 387 ft 37.95 °N, 121.94 °W

My back yard weather station: http://www.wunderground.com/cgi-bin/findweather/hdfForecast?query=37.954%2C-121.945&sp=KCACONCO37

When both you and I are rich, we'll be off to Hawaii or somewhere that does not need a biodome!

You do not need to be rich to be off to Hawaii. If you are real dedicated to palms, you can go to the Southeast side of the Big Island and get a nice acre for $20K and put down a small house for next to nothing. Then plant away, it all grows there. Better yet, you can go up into Hawaiian Acres and get 3 acres of land and walk to Floribunda to get your palms.

There is also some kind of Dypsis down in the sinkhole. Kinda disappointing when plants from North America (Washingtonia) and Africa (Bird of Paradise) are used in an exhibit on the Amazon.

Well it is in Kansas (Dorthy) lol. If that is a public zoo I bet the tax payers aint gonna spring for the wax palms.... :bummed:

I DIG PALMS

Call me anytime to chat about transplanting palms.

305-345-8918

https://www.facebook...KenJohnsonPalms

Well it is in Kansas (Dorthy) lol. If that is a public zoo I bet the tax payers aint gonna spring for the wax palms.... :bummed:

I believe all these plants were donated back in the late 70s when this was built...doing a little more research this morning, I found out they are rebuilding the "jungle" habitat, and are replacing these plants...wonder what they plan to do with those washies?? Hmmm.... ;)

El_Dorado.gif

That Dypsis could be D. decaryi since it's so common in the indoor plant nursery trade.

Jim in Los Altos, CA  SF Bay Area 37.34N- 122.13W- 190' above sea level

zone 10a/9b

sunset zone 16

300+ palms, 90+ species in the ground

Las Palmas Design

Facebook Page

Las Palmas Design & Associates

Elegant Homes and Gardens

You do not need to be rich to be off to Hawaii. If you are real dedicated to palms, you can go to the Southeast side of the Big Island and get a nice acre for $20K and put down a small house for next to nothing. Then plant away, it all grows there. Better yet, you can go up into Hawaiian Acres and get 3 acres of land and walk to Floribunda to get your palms.

But that's 20k less in palms I can try to stuff in my yard here. :)

Ben Rogers

On the border of Concord & Clayton in the East Bay hills - Elev 387 ft 37.95 °N, 121.94 °W

My back yard weather station: http://www.wunderground.com/cgi-bin/findweather/hdfForecast?query=37.954%2C-121.945&sp=KCACONCO37