IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

montgomery botanical center

tikitiki

Just a few pics from the garden and one of jeff  explaining to my ranch hand (wife) how to keep me from killing more palms.  

100_1258.jpg

100_1288.jpg100_1285.jpg

100_1276.jpg

With a tin cup for a chalice

Fill it up with good red wine,

And I'm-a chewin' on a honeysuckle vine.

more

100_1275.jpg

100_1274.jpg

100_1273.jpg

100_1272.jpg

more

100_1271.jpg

100_1270.jpg

100_1269.jpg

100_1268.jpg

100_1267.jpg

100_1266.jpg

100_1265.jpg

100_1264.jpg

100_1263.jpg

100_1262.jpg

100_1261.jpg

100_1260.jpg

Thanks for posting these Tom.  I really wanted to attend this sale but am stuck in "frigid" Atlanta instead.  What did you buy?

Ray

Tampa, Interbay Peninsula, Florida, USA

subtropical USDA Zone 10A

Bokeelia, Pine Island, Florida, USA

subtropical USDA Zone 10B

Tom,

It was a pleasure to meet you and your wife( Mary was her name, I think). You must of taken the tram tour. Some awesome palms in the garden, uhn?? Thanks for stopping by and saying "hey".

Jeff

Searle Brothers Nursery Inc.

and The Rainforest Collection.

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

(Ray, Tampa @ Mar. 10 2007,20:56)

Thanks for posting these Tom.  I really wanted to attend this sale but am stuck in "frigid" Atlanta instead.  What did you buy?

Ray

A triple Dypsis pemba, Dypsis mayotte ?, Dypsis species?, Dypsis  leptocheilos, Dypsis leptocheilos x decaryi, Beccariophoenix madagascariensis, Pseudophoenix sargentii, 2 Arenga pinnatas, 2 Hyophorbe lagenicaulis,  Calyptrocalyx albertisianus, Calyptrocalyx sp. 'Bolak', Satakentia liukiuensis.  Caryota gigas and Chambeyronia hookerii ( both for my negibor). I'll be planting today.

And Jeff it was great meeting you and Ryan as well. I know my wife will have me planting some canopy so she can come back and pick up some Licualas. I think I found a palm she is excited about.

Tom

Tom,

I just thought about the very rare Thrinax ekmanii that were planted in a group. I was wondering if you or Ryan got a picture of these. They were very small, but beautiful. Keep the pics. coming!

Jeff

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

Hemithrinax ekmaniana now I think.

(Ray, Tampa @ Mar. 12 2007,20:02)

Hemithrinax ekmaniana now I think.

Ray,

I know.....but to lazy to write it. Damn, it seems like there's been alot of name changes this past year or so. Honestly, I'm having a hard time trying to keep up! :(

Jeff

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

A bunch of genera got lumped into Heterospathe.  Leave it to the experts.

My wife Mary was taking the photos and that is all she got. I was to busy looking in awe to focus the camera.

(tikitiki @ Mar. 10 2007,17:03)

100_1262.jpg

Nice photos, thanks!  What species are the large pinnate palms in this photo??

Jack Sayers

East Los Angeles

growing cold tolerant palms halfway between the equator and the arctic circle...

It was a great tour of Montgomery, and I went on it on Sunday. Tom knew exactly what he wanted, and his wife was avid about a few species herself. It was great to have met them both, and I think they were the Forum members who had traveled the farthest to get to the sale.

Those large pinnate palms are Attalea crassispatha, a great surprise for me, since I didn't think the center had any.

Ryan

South Florida

(Palmarum @ Mar. 13 2007,18:46)

Those large pinnate palms are Attalea crassispatha, a great surprise for me, since I didn't think the center had any.

Ryan

Thanks Ryan :)

Jack Sayers

East Los Angeles

growing cold tolerant palms halfway between the equator and the arctic circle...

There are 400 species in the ground, and I believe over 6,000 palms total. It's a 93 acre garden, and with plenty of room to expand.

Jeff

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

I know I told you 93 acres, but I just found out it is closer to 120 acres. And yes, there is lots of room to expand. Hopefully the things we are doing will provide more funds and incentive to make those expansions. This is a whole new beginning for this garden. I think MBC will continue to grow with the collection as it's priority, unlike another garden in the area

Bill Olson

President SFPS

Bill,

I agree that MBC has wonderful opportunities for its collection and other research and conservation activities.  I really appreciated (finally) getting a look at the grounds on Saturday.

Miami is doing very well as a center of botanical research and conservation, what with the pineland conservation people, Institute for Regional Conservation, FIU, UM, Fairchild, and government agencies.  It also helps that UF has great strength in ornamental horticulture and plant systematics.  UF's Pamela and Douglas Soltis, for example, are among the most highly regarded plant systematists in the country and Alan Meerow is a candidate for president of the American Society of Plant Taxonomists.

Fla. climate center: 100-119 days>85 F
USDA 1990 hardiness zone 9B
Current USDA hardiness zone 10a
4 km inland from Indian River; 27º N (equivalent to Brisbane)

Central Orlando's urban heat island may be warmer than us

(Ray @ Tampa,Mar. 10 2007,20:56)

Ray

Ray,

I know you're not asking me, but anyways, I was impressed by the number and variety of Coccothrinax, Thrinax and Copernicia for sale.  If you're into caribbean palms, this was the place to be.

I got myself a nice 5', 3 gal Pseudophoenix sargentii for only $35.  Considering how long it would have taken me to grow one to that size, that price sure seems cheap.  I also picked up several 1 gal Coccothrinax argentata at $6 a piece, all with a healthy head of palmate leaves.  There were many rarer species available, but since I've just about reached my saturation point on time and space, I couldn't justify shelling out the cash.  I also picked up a half dozen Chamaedorea fragrans seedlings (2 pots) from Jeff's booth and an assortment of other minor palms and all for well under $200.

Central Florida, 28.42N 81.18W, Elev. 14m

Zone 9b

Summers 33/22C, Winters 22/10C Record Low -7C

Rain 6cm - 17cm/month with wet summers 122cm annually