IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Lava watch

Kim

Yep, that's the one! The amazing and slightly surreal aspect is that this is the ultimate non-event here. The lava flow, even though it has been very slow moving recently, is closer than ever to Highway 130 (about 0.4 of a mile) and most of the time there's a very large black plume of smoke from the bush fires in the path of the advancing lava flow that is even visible from Hilo, some 20 miles away. Yet life continues in a perfectly normal fashion and not only that - some of the stores that closed down a few weeks ago are now opening up again, even though they are less than half a mile away from an active lava flow.

Leilani Estates, 25 mls/40 km south of Hilo, Big Island of Hawai'i. Elevation 880 ft/270 m. Average rainfall 140 inches/3550 mm

• 5 weeks later...

New updated map today (it's been a while), and still looking up for the Marketplace and 130, at least in the near term.

post-5191-0-49761900-1424755999_thumb.jp

Zone 9b (formerly listed as Zone 9a); Sunset 14

"Near term" covers it perfectly! :) Malama Market has announced that it will re-open on March 18th so that's good news just in general and certainly for lots of people who relied on them for groceries. But the active flow is still only about a mile away from Highway 130, and even less so from Malama Market, even though the active parts of the lava flow now would seem to be heading off in a more northerly direction. In other words, no direct or immediate threat to Malama Market, or for that matter any structures. Bad things can still happen, but not in the immediate future. :mrlooney:

Leilani Estates, 25 mls/40 km south of Hilo, Big Island of Hawai'i. Elevation 880 ft/270 m. Average rainfall 140 inches/3550 mm

• 2 weeks later...

New imagining as of March 3 from a Lansat 8 satellite and false-color to represent what the human eye would see. Click for a slightly larger image.

post-5191-0-26675300-1425844586_thumb.jp

For convenience, here's the link to the Hawaii Volcanoes Map page with more description and ability to see a much enlarged satellite image than the above: http://hvo.wr.usgs.gov/maps/

Bo, would the red spots be active fires or more or less glowing hot lava?

• Upvote 1

Debbie,

Yes, the red spots would indicate active lava on the surface. What's interesting and slightly surreal is that while the flow is actually closer to Highway 130 now than it ever has been, this has turned into a total non-issue here. Nobody, and I mean NOBODY, talks about the lava these days. True, the flow has advanced very little recently, but it's still there and the lava is STILL flowing even though it's mostly spreading sideways. A number of stores in the Malama Market Place area have re-opened and Malama Market itself will have a grand re-opening on March 18th. The Pahoa transfer station re-opened last week so everything is slowly returning to "Business as usual" even though that could really change over night in case one of the active flows decides to head for the nearest structure or street. :bemused:

Bo-Göran

Some new movement as of yesterday. Looks like a new direction is being forged.

post-5191-0-79832300-1426126691_thumb.jp

• 3 weeks later...

From the USGS Volcano site:

The Alert level was reduced to WATCH on 03/25/15 owing to the decrease in immediate threat during the past several weeks.

animated-volcano-image-0010.gif.71ccc48bfc1ec622a0adca187eabaaa4.gif

Kona, on The Big Island
Hawaii - Land of Volcanoes

• 1 month later...

CNBC did a mention today that a bubbling Kilauea volcano has overflowed it's lava lake, they said first time in over a century. They were referring to the Overlook Lava Lake which is still below the Crater Rim. Here's a link to the updated Kilauea Status webpage if your interested in the text description.

http://hvo.wr.usgs.gov/activity/kilaueastatus.php

Here's a link to the latest photos from that area:

http://hvo.wr.usgs.gov/multimedia/index.php?newSearch=true&display=custom&volcano=1&resultsPerPage=20

This isn't the P u'u 'O'o vent but the crater area near Volcano lodge and museum.

• 3 weeks later...

This was the view into the main Halema'uma'u caldera early Friday morning (two days ago) when I drove up there at 4:30 am. I did it at that time because I'd heard that there are massive traffic jams in the park in the evening. It was pretty empty at 4:30 am... :mrlooney:

post-22-0-79215800-1431922982_thumb.jpg

That's a pretty impressive photo Bo. Quite a massive glow. Was the photo taken from the lodge or somewhere along Crater Road? I imagine you were feeling a bit toasty in the early morning air. Also kind of amazing that all that molten rock is somewhere below you.

Photo was taken from the Jaggar Museum area, where you have an excellent view of the Halema'uma'u crater. And I had to zoom in a bit to get that photo. The temperature was right around 52F so slightly below "toasty"! :bemused: Up at Halema'uma'u it's not possible to get close enough that you get "toasty" - you must be MUCH closer to the action. Like in these shots. Then the 2,000 degree (F) hot lava REALLY gets you toasty... :mrlooney:

post-22-0-44024700-1431935856_thumb.jpg

post-22-0-08266600-1431935858_thumb.jpg

post-22-0-33602200-1431935860_thumb.jpg

awesome pic's Bo.. Sounds like you had some good fun.

Carlsbad, California Zone 10 B on the hill (402 ft. elevation)

Sunset zone 24

This was the view into the main Halema'uma'u caldera early Friday morning (two days ago) when I drove up there at 4:30 am. I did it at that time because I'd heard that there are massive traffic jams in the park in the evening. It was pretty empty at 4:30 am... :mrlooney:

Smart plan Bo ! :greenthumb:

Coral Gables, FL 8 miles North of Fairchild USDA Zone 10B

Bo, how many home have been destroyed from the flow so far?

Sunset zone 24

Josh,

if we're counting since the current flow from Kilauea/Pu'u O'o began in January 1983, it's just over 200 I believe. Roughly 185 in Kalapana in late 1990 when the flow reached, and completely filled up, the bay by Kaimu/Kalapana, and then maybe another 20-25 up in Royal Gardens over a very long period of time. Royal Gardens was a small subdivision on the pali (slope) just below Pu'u O'o. Sometimes the flow would be west of the subdivision, sometimes east of it and sometimes right through it. The last house there was destroyed only a couple of years ago. No house in the direction of Pahoa has been destroyed, despite the fact that the flow came within 500 ft of the main road in Pahoa last year.

Bo-Göran

Thanks for the update Bo :greenthumb: I'm glad no homes in Pahoa were destroyed. I just love that area of the big island. I'm still trying to talk my wife into buying in that community.

Sunset zone 24

• 3 months later...

Saw that Kilauea is back in the news. Nice footage by Paradise Helicopters of the recent flow.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/hawaii-kilauea-volcano-lava-breakout_55e0dcbee4b0aec9f3536b0d?utm_hp_ref=world&ir=WorldPost&section=world

Here's a link to the USGS site again, been awhile: http://hvo.wr.usgs.gov/maps/ At least this is back near the crater and not close to Pahoa.

Yeah, the flow continues but fortunately a good distance away from what's considered civilization here! :mrlooney: These days, and for a long time now, this has been a total non-event on the local level. Hoping it stays that way! :)

good news on the lava staying away from harms way

Sunset zone 24

• 6 months later...

up close and personal

http://twistedsifter.com/2013/07/in-the-heat-of-the-moment/

The weight of lies will bring you down / And follow you to every town / Cause nothin happens here

That doesn't happen there / So when you run make sure you run / To something and not away from

Cause lies don't need an aero plane / To chase you anywhere

--Avett Bros

I was at the solid waste transfer station near Pahoa last week.  It is amazing, just like a Hollywood movie, how the lava flow stopped precisely at the perimeter fencing of the facility.  Sorry, no photo, still using my pathetic flip-phone !  :mrlooney:

San Francisco, California

I have to make a stop there later today, hope I remember my camera.

Kim Cyr

Between the beach and the bays, Point Loma, San Diego, California USA
and on a 300 year-old lava flow, Pahoa, Hawaii, 1/4 mile from the 2018 flow
All characters  in this work are fictitious. Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental.

On 3/9/2016, 10:17:25, sur4z said:

up close and personal

http://twistedsifter.com/2013/07/in-the-heat-of-the-moment/

Whoa!

Those are (or are about to be) serious red shoes!

• Upvote 1

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

Darold mentioned the Pahoa transfer station above, and I did remember to take my camera on my last visit.  It is quite an incredible scene, no matter how familiar you may be with lava flows.  This flow threatened to cut off the main road into Pahoa and the Puna district of the Big Island.  It was a most amazing day when the lava came within 500 feet of the main road through town, and stopped at the very brink of the town dump.

This is the view from where you drop your recyclables:

DSC_0317.thumb.jpg.1a4d74344ca0f99c4ed58

As you can see, the trucks are able to use the road to pick up the huge containers.

DSC_0320.thumb.jpg.e223e486f9f2b272db8bd

Closer view of the halt at the fence.  You'd have thought the fence would disintegrate from the heat, but no, it still stands.

DSC_0322.thumb.jpg.27e96bbe76f561296f10d

The landscaping sign is a bit ironic...

DSC_0323.thumb.jpg.dd06288cd305e5e662106

Even the most skeptical among us might say Madame Pele has a soft spot in her heart for the little town of Pahoa, to see this defined line around the edge of the inhabited area.

DSC_0335.thumb.jpg.0d9eee20da1db3899e8cd

• Upvote 1

Kim Cyr

All characters  in this work are fictitious. Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental.

15 hours ago, Kim said:

Closer view of the halt at the fence.  You'd have thought the fence would disintegrate from the heat, but no, it still stands.

DSC_0322.thumb.jpg.27e96bbe76f561296f10d

Incredible scene. Hard to believe, but doesn't it appear that the chain link fence did cause the lava to slow down enough for it to cool, creating a natural barrier? Of course the entire flow stopped as well at the right time, but the fence seemed to add just the tiny bit of protection or the lava would have filled up the facility.

Edited by Pando

Seriously, Pando, nothing stops lava.  Nothing.  Lava goes downhill as long as it has momentum to move forward. It is just the most amazing, bizarre coincidence that it ran out of forward momentum right there at the fence line.... unless you are a believer in animism and the goddess Pele, of course, as some in Hawaii are.  The sight does tease your brain, doesn't it!

Kim Cyr

5 hours ago, Kim said:

Seriously, Pando, nothing stops lava.  Nothing.

Oh I know Kim, but, the fence did appear to help just a little tiny bit in this instance, and that made all the difference. Had the flow not stalled, of course it would have been game over.

T1222PAHOALAVA_HR.jpg?n=5592&width=1540&

Edited by Pando
  • Upvote 1

• 4 months later...

PHOTO: A "smiley face" was spotted from the Kilauea volcanos crater in Hawaii, on July 27, 2016.

• Upvote 2

So many species,

so little time.

Coconut Creek, Florida

Zone 10b (Zone 11 except for once evey 10 or 20 years)

Last Freeze: 2011,50 Miles North of Fairchilds

16 minutes ago, Jerry@TreeZoo said:

PHOTO: A "smiley face" was spotted from the Kilauea volcanos crater in Hawaii, on July 27, 2016.

Clever!

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

Me too! Is that Pele having fun with people?

Great arial photos BTW of the recycling center that Pando posted.