IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Lava watch

Kim

Kim, I've wondered about that. Kalapana gets not nearly the rain we do, and none of the palms were planted with any dirt or mulch (that I'm aware of), plus a lot of salt spray. My guess would be that in Pahoa or Leilani, with some cinder soil in the hole, some mulch on top, and plenty of rain, stuff would actually grow pretty well, and not too differently from our current gardens.

I remember you and Crystal planted one -- do you water it when you visit?

Kim Cyr

Between the beach and the bays, Point Loma, San Diego, California USA
and on a 300 year-old lava flow, Pahoa, Hawaii, 1/4 mile from the 2018 flow
All characters  in this work are fictitious. Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental.

Kim, I've wondered about that. Kalapana gets not nearly the rain we do, and none of the palms were planted with any dirt or mulch (that I'm aware of), plus a lot of salt spray. My guess would be that in Pahoa or Leilani, with some cinder soil in the hole, some mulch on top, and plenty of rain, stuff would actually grow pretty well, and not too differently from our current gardens.

I remember you and Crystal planted one -- do you water it when you visit?

No, but I do pull nearby weeds and put them on the ground near the Coconut, so that as they decompose some nutrients leach into the soil. It was a single strap coconut back in 2005, now it's a small palm. Slow, but steady, wins the race.

Resident of Puerto de la Cruz, Tenerife, San Diego, CA and Pahoa, HI.  Former garden in Vista, CA.  Garden Photos

With the lava stalled a few km away from the front, and no lava in the tubes now, I wonder if they will open Pahoa Village Road again? Feeling hopeful... :happy:

Kim Cyr

All characters  in this work are fictitious. Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental.

Yes, that would be nice. Maybe for the holiday celebration on December 6?

Resident of Puerto de la Cruz, Tenerife, San Diego, CA and Pahoa, HI.  Former garden in Vista, CA.  Garden Photos

• 2 weeks later...

Our local TV news yesterday had an update on the lava flow indicating that it was flowing again at a fairly rapid pace, not much other info provided so didn't know what to expect. Today the USGS updated the map. Interesting new path the lava has taken.

post-5191-0-32312700-1417510497_thumb.jp

Zone 9b (formerly listed as Zone 9a); Sunset 14

The Pahoa Village Road was opened again to traffic November 26, the day before Thanksgiving, with the front of the flow stalled since October 30th. This new finger was moving rapidly yesterday, at a rate of about 440 yards per day, but where those blue lines converge on the map is a flat area where it is expected to slow considerably. Also the measured flow in the lava tube has reduced by about 25%, my interpretation being this may be a weak flow that will stall out just as the other did. I hope I am not being overly optimistic in my interpretation of the report. :blush2:

Kim Cyr

Google's satellite view of the area was updated in November.

Fla. climate center: 100-119 days>85 F
USDA 1990 hardiness zone 9B
Current USDA hardiness zone 10a
4 km inland from Indian River; 27º N (equivalent to Brisbane)

Central Orlando's urban heat island may be warmer than us

It looks to me that it is following one of the 'steepest' descent paths as shown on the map. It does not appear that it has reliably done this in earlier flows but if it chooses to now, the Pahoa Marketplace looks to be in trouble....I sure hope not...there is quite a way for it to go.

John Case

Brentwood CA

Owner and curator of Hana Keu Garden

USDA Zone 9b more or less, Sunset Zone 14 in winter 9 in summer

"Its always exciting the first time you save the world. Its a real thrill!"

For anyone interested in a good overview, primer, and history of the lava dynamics and what to expect over time in the Puna area of Big Island, here is a good video that I think was just posted on the Volcano Site. (14 mins.)

animated-volcano-image-0010.gif.71ccc48bfc1ec622a0adca187eabaaa4.gif

Kona, on The Big Island
Hawaii - Land of Volcanoes

Same video as was posted on page 4. Really good information, must watch it all the way to the end.

You all saw the video and photos of the lava going into the transfer station? Didn't look like much, but... the lava is 10-15 ft. deep in there now, so I've read. Not flowing anymore, but wow, a lot more than we saw in the photos. I was thinking they might re-open the transfer station, but forget about that!

Kim Cyr

For anyone interested in a good overview, primer, and history of the lava dynamics and what to expect over time in the Puna area of Big Island, here is a good video that I think was just posted on the Volcano Site. (14 mins.)

Great video, Dean!

"Ph'nglui mglw'napalma Funkthulhu R'Lincolnea wgah'palm fhtagn"
"In his house at Lincoln, dread Funkthulhu plants palm trees."

Great video, Dean!

Thanks Funk - It was Karolyn "KPL" who found it first, and alerted us. But I think it was so educational, a link was placed on the main volcano site recently. I don't know how that makes me feel about the prospects for the little town of Pahoa which seemed to get a last minute reprieve last month. Here is the latest map update.

post-11-0-89152400-1418250078_thumb.jpg

Kona, on The Big Island

Whether it's next week, or thousands of years hence, everything on the big island is going to be paved over by Mama Pele.

And will be reclaimed by Kanaloa in a couple million.

In the meantime, I hope everybody in Pahoa is safe and enjoying themselves as they can.

"Ph'nglui mglw'napalma Funkthulhu R'Lincolnea wgah'palm fhtagn"
"In his house at Lincoln, dread Funkthulhu plants palm trees."

Another week at this rate and Pahoa will be national news again. That red is the last 3 days worth of lava.

post-11-0-60707700-1418691482_thumb.jpg

Kona, on The Big Island

Definitely, and unfortunately, true! At least potentially true since there's no way to know what will happen but if the current active flow continues at more or less the rate it's moving then destruction and devastation will be considerable. The entire (fairly new) Malama Market Place is right smack in the bull's eye and that would indeed be a major disaster. :bemused:

Leilani Estates, 25 mls/40 km south of Hilo, Big Island of Hawai'i. Elevation 880 ft/270 m. Average rainfall 140 inches/3550 mm

I saw that they are starting to pack up the market tomorrow and close it by Thursday. If it comes to pass, that will be a shame, looked like it had a number of nice businesses for the area. That plus sad to see people lose their jobs, especially at the holidays. Is that the only gas station in the area?

It would indeed be a real shame, for many reasons. There are two other gas stations in Pahoa, one fairly close by but probably not threatened at this point and another one at the complete opposite end of Pahoa and a good distance away.

Leilani Estates, 25 mls/40 km south of Hilo, Big Island of Hawai'i. Elevation 880 ft/270 m. Average rainfall 140 inches/3550 mm

Is the lava flow back on the national news radar? Thought I caught the end of a quick blurb ...

The lava is drawing a bead on the "major" shopping areas?

What's the true status Bo?

Coral Gables, FL 8 miles North of Fairchild USDA Zone 10B

You can compare this photo to the one posted by Dean Dec.15th

post-1729-0-77502100-1419079211_thumb.jp

Could the market place be getting the worse possible Christmas present? :badday:

Coral Gables, FL 8 miles North of Fairchild USDA Zone 10B

Definitely not good news, that's for sure. If the current active flow keeps moving where it's likely to go and more or less at its present pace (give or take 150 metres a day), it's almost bound to hit the Malama Market in less than a week from now. The store was actually cleared out earlier in the week and closed its doors at 6 pm Thursday (day before yesterday). And even though the current lobe of the active flow is very narrow it's bound to spread out considerably if and when it gets to the Pahoa Market place since the parking lot for obvious reasons is a large and fairly level area. Nothing is for certain when it comes to lava flows and we saw that with the one that was threatening Pahoa Village Road two months ago. It stopped just 150 metres short of the road. It would be great with a repeat this time around, but also close to a miracle. Not only that, but if it gets to the Pahoa Marketplace then Highway 130 is only about a day away from being cut off as well. Now THAT will have major repercussions for everybody in the area. :bemused:

So sad..it seems inevitable....

John Case

Brentwood CA

Owner and curator of Hana Keu Garden

USDA Zone 9b more or less, Sunset Zone 14 in winter 9 in summer

"Its always exciting the first time you save the world. Its a real thrill!"

Just prayed now and lets all keep praying the flow just stops dead in its tracks.

Carlsbad, California Zone 10 B on the hill (402 ft. elevation)

Sunset zone 24

It's slowing down again. At this rate, it will be another 10-12 days. There's a breakout close to the vent, I am hoping that becomes the most "active" flow. That's what I've asked Santa for.

If we all want it to happen, it'll happen! :)

• 2 weeks later...

Well, the front of the lava is still moving but at a much reduced pace, which is always potentially good news. But it's still heading towards the Pahoa Marketplace with the Malama Market (which closed its doors a week and a half ago) and a number of other stores in the adjacent buildings. Longs Drugs, which is across the street from the Market has closed its doors and is all boarded up now. Apa'a Street, which was cut off a couple of months ago has now opened for traffic and the county has organized an official lava viewing area, with plenty of parking. The now closed transfer station is also, simply by its proximity to the flow, part of the viewing area. I stopped by there a little while ago and took a few photos. No active lava in this area, but still interesting. The transfer station itself is completely intact, but the access road for the trucks pulling the containers in and out has been blocked. It would seem that it could probably be re-opened without too much trouble but I doubt that will happen for as long as the lava is active in the immediate vicinity. The first photo shows a shed that just barely escaped the lava, while the house just beyond it was destroyed. And the palms don't look too happy either... :bemused:

post-22-0-42476100-1419989242_thumb.jpg

post-22-0-39273700-1419989267_thumb.jpg

post-22-0-94609100-1419989292_thumb.jpg

post-22-0-07815400-1419989318_thumb.jpg

post-22-0-31750000-1419989343_thumb.jpg

• Upvote 1

Thanks for the great photos Bo! I knew the lava had piled up on the Transfer Station's fenceline and some had crossed over but that's more than I thought. Still doesn't look horrible. I've been checking in to the USGS volcano maps every few days and don't think they've been updated since 22nd. So figured no news was good news. Sorry to hear that Longs has closed however. Sure they are a much needed store in that area. Keeping fingers crossed.

Good photos. The lava was very well behaved to stay behind that barbed wire fence. The lava in the transfer station looks like it could be scraped off like so much burnt cookies off a cookie sheet. Is pahoehoe really hard or kind of crumbly if you get at it with a loader bucket or bull dozer?

So many species,

so little time.

Coconut Creek, Florida

Zone 10b (Zone 11 except for once evey 10 or 20 years)

Last Freeze: 2011,50 Miles North of Fairchilds

Pahoehoe is hard.

This video contains some footage of the flow past the transfer station fence, down the embankment, and onto to asphalt: Lava flow video

Asphalt boiling point: at or greater than 500 oC

Lava temperature: 700 to 1,200 oC

My guess is that the lava and the asphalt are pretty much fused together and don't separate easily. - gmp

Jerry,

As Dr. George already pointed out, pahoehoe is indeed hard, but heavy machinery would have no difficulties breaking it up into manageable pieces that could then be taken out of there. And simply "scraping it off" would not work. My guess is that very little is left of the asphalt underneath the lava. That entire area will have to be resurfaced, which in the big scheme of things would not be a big deal. And BTW, the Railroad Avenue emergency road is now open for traffic even though Highway 130 is still very much open and probably not about to get cut off within the next two weeks or so. After that - anyone's guess. :bemused:

Bo-Göran

I saw another news item about the lava on tv last night. It's just ghastly but there isnt a thing I can do to help anyone. I'll just make a new year wish that it stops before any damage is done. Guess I could always ship you a crate of valium too...at least that's practical.

Best Wishes to you all

Peachy

I came. I saw. I purchased

27.35 south.

Warm subtropical, with occasional frosts.

Bo, any recent news?? Did the flow stall out?

Carlsbad, California Zone 10 B on the hill (402 ft. elevation)

Sunset zone 24

Bo, any recent news?? Did the flow stall out?

Well, the front has been stalled for a couple of days now, which is always a promising development. It's exactly half a mile away from Highway 130 and the Pahoa Market Place is even closer than that but I think most of the stores there have already closed their doors. The irony being that if this particular lavaflow remains stalled it may never reach those stores. This is part of what may seem frustrating - the lava keeps coming, but the front stalls every now and then, and then breakouts further upslope keep coming down the hill, creating new flows. Any one of those flows could threaten homes and roads, but this could literally go on for years. To put things in perspective, the current eruption of Pu'u O'o began on this day, January 3rd, 1983 - 32 years ago. There have been a few brief periods (a couple of weeks or so) when the lava stopped flowing but for most of these 32 years it's been very active and for most of these years the flow has also been heading in a (mostly) southerly direction towards the Pacific Ocean. In other words, it could keep going for a long time yet. :bemused:

• 3 weeks later...

Pele is back. Made quite a bit of movement towards town since the 13th. New image from the 19th.

post-5191-0-52830700-1421888637_thumb.jp

Just noticed that if that active leg keeps advancing it puts the Police and Fire Station in its path.

That is unfortunately true. Those two buildings are almost brand new and it would be a real shame to lose them. BUT, the potentially good news is that that there has been fairly limited activity the last few days when it comes to forward movement. That may only be a short term piece of good news though. Looking at the map it's clear that while there's been fairly limited forward movement the last couple of months, the flow is gradually spreading sideways, covering more and more land. As I said earlier, this could go on for a very long time - like years - and if that were to happen it will in all likelihood reach Highway 130 at some point and potentially widen quite a bit. Another piece of potentially (short term) good news for the residents here - when I drove by Longs Drugs in Pahoa yesterday I noticed it was no longer boarded up and in the evening when I came back from Hilo on Highway 130 the Longs Drugs signs were lit up. Presumably a sign that either they are already open OR maybe will open very soon.

The Ace Hardware store has announced they will reopen February 1st! :)

http://hmstores.com/2015/01/16/housemart-ace-hardware-pahoa-reopens/

Kim Cyr

The Ace Hardware store has announced they will reopen February 1st! :)

http://hmstores.com/2015/01/16/housemart-ace-hardware-pahoa-reopens/

That is because Ace is the place with the helpful hardware man.

So many species,

so little time.

Coconut Creek, Florida

Zone 10b (Zone 11 except for once evey 10 or 20 years)

Last Freeze: 2011,50 Miles North of Fairchilds