IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Red C/shaft Prestoea

Pedro 65

After a little weeding around 2 x Prestoea I havnt looked at for some time, I see they are clumping and certainly retaining their Red.

I had a thread on these 2 a few yrs ago as then they had entire leaves ( pic below) and had a tag of P carderii which gladly they are not, they are now certainly Prestoe acuminata var acuminata or commonly known as Red Crownshaft palm.

Adult pic from RPS site, I look fwd to watching these 2 grow and colour.

Who else has this Prestoea growing and can share some pics here on PTalk

Pete :)

post-5709-0-61650200-1409114286_thumb.jp

post-5709-0-20141000-1409114344_thumb.jp

post-5709-0-46084800-1409114416_thumb.jp

post-5709-0-79061900-1409114484_thumb.jp

post-5709-0-26238600-1409114545_thumb.jp

post-5709-0-62906800-1409114601_thumb.jp

post-5709-0-00959000-1409114728_thumb.jp

• Upvote 1

Pete, i scored this Prestoea ensiformis ( entire leaf ) off Chris & Arden last summer, it's been a very tough palm through our winter here, as you well know going of our healthy yours looks

post-7381-0-36290100-1409117921_thumb.jppost-7381-0-45118200-1409117944_thumb.jppost-7381-0-63728900-1409117964_thumb.jp

Hoping he ends up looking this good, picture from RPS site

post-7381-0-03069300-1409118106_thumb.jppost-7381-0-23899900-1409118130_thumb.jp

I will get my ensiformis entire inground v soon too Paul, when I find "the spot", all best with yours.

Sorry Pete about posting different Prestoea, jumped the gun just a wee bit, I did buy one of those Prestoe acuminata var acuminata a couple of years ago from Luke, kicking myself, it didn't survive after I transplanted it :violin:

Why not carderi Pete? My Prestoea acuminata have red petioles and rachises. I see yours are green. Not sure if much turns on this, just an observation.

Why not carderi Pete? My Prestoea acuminata have red petioles and rachises. I see yours are green. Not sure if much turns on this, just an observation.

Rich, I wont go out now and look close as its raining heavily but carderii in all my reading doesnt talk of any Red, pls post some more pics 2morrow of your Red C/shaft Palm, it looks fantastic :greenthumb: .

I can see Red at the start of the petiole in this pic :)

post-5709-0-43514600-1409124883_thumb.jp

Sorry Pete about posting different Prestoea, jumped the gun just a wee bit, I did buy one of those Prestoe acuminata var acuminata a couple of years ago from Luke, kicking myself, it didn't survive after I transplanted it :violin:

Thats fine Paul I dont care, and Im sure there is still some Reds floating around up Nth :)

I got a Prestoea acuminata var acuminata seedling from Perry and I haven't really kept track of it but if I had to guess I'd say it's opened its 2nd full leaf in 10months I've had it. it's always looked good though whether it's in a couple of hours of late morning sun or in mostly shade

Pete, good to see a post and hear from you--I trust all is well. I have never tried a Prestoea because we fair so poorly with Euterpe, in South Florida. I have seen variation montana growing locally and fruiting size. I imagine if I found a deal, I would pull the trigger--hoping for some serious red, in the future for you!

Andrew, thanks very much for your kind positive post and I very much look fwd to some updates on your Killer Copernicia;s n Licuala's. :greenthumb:

Rich, I notice on the last post of this Prestoea thread I added that the younger leaves on your clumping P a var a doesnt have the Red as it does on the new larger leaves..What size do they start getting the Red ontop and below the rachis? Look fwd to your pics you hopefully took today. :)

Pete

edit..damm the thread paste didnt work, heres 2 pics from the thread of your Prestoea Rich.

post-5709-0-45528300-1409201109.jpg

post-5709-0-87344200-1409201110.jpg

Pete. Dark out there now... will try to grab some photos and confirm tomorrow. If I remember correctly, they start green and mature to red starting from the base. Petioles are sometimes covered in brown wax which erodes away in time. I will check to see if this holds true in full shade. I have a hunch your first ID was correct.

cheers

Richard

Pete. Dark out there now... will try to grab some photos and confirm tomorrow. If I remember correctly, they start green and mature to red starting from the base. Petioles are sometimes covered in brown wax which erodes away in time. I will check to see if this holds true in full shade. I have a hunch your first ID was correct.

cheers

Richard

Rich, I spose this pic is a tell true of being Carderi no doubt as acuminata are never entire :) Its the Red that swayed me, I wrote in an old thread that I read that Carderi has red stems, now Ive been reading and re reading and I cannot find any talk of red stems :) Only time will tell, very glad of the red though..

Look fwd to yr pics tomorrow.

post-5709-0-31981600-1409213424_thumb.jp

I was right. Push is green which turns red from the bottom up. I think maybe a little sun darkens the colour but might just be variation. They can handle full sun here but look better with some shade and will take deep shade. As you can see the red is evident in the smallest new stems. Very slow palms for me and a nightmare in pots.

post-264-0-74288200-1409269413_thumb.jpgpost-264-0-51332500-1409269438_thumb.jpg

Perry, thanks for that info, can you post a pic or 2 pls ?

Rich, thanks for pics, lookn great :greenthumb: how long ago was yours entire , or did you buy it larger and pinnate?

Had a couple in pots early on before I "knew"? how to take care of them...

now bereft of life.

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

Wow Rich, That is nice! I didn't realize these were clumping before reading this thread. Here are a couple of photos of my seedlings in the greenhouse.

Very healthy seedlings you have there Perry, I reckon this thread will be great advertising for you and they will be "snapped up" in no time.

Rich, 1 of mine was entire and 1 pinnate, and now seeing Perry's, mine is certainly A var A

This Prestoea was sold to me as an accuminata var. Montana. It's petioles are longer than what I've seen in this post. For scale it is standing about 17' tall in this picture. Hoping someone can let me know if that is in fact its species.

post-3412-0-39614900-1409390538_thumb.jp

Thanks,

Lee

Lee

Located at 1500' elevation in Kona on the west side of the Big Island of Hawaii.

Average annual rainfall is about 60"; temperature around 80 degrees.

This Prestoea was sold to me as an accuminata var. Montana. It's petioles are longer than what I've seen in this post. For scale it is standing about 17' tall in this picture. Hoping someone can let me know if that is in fact its species.

attachicon.gifPrestoea-acuminata-var-montana.jpg

Thanks,

Lee

Looks to be as described. Be careful about stripping the leaf bases too vigorously as you can injure the stem and allow pathogens to enter. I am guilty of this and suspect I have lost plants through impatience! As it matures they will fall away more easily.

cheers

Richard