IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Help me out with pics please

AndyR

Hi to all

I've a load of great pics to share but when I upload them here they are all over the place, upside down and horizontal. They all look right-way-up on my computer. Previously I've taken the pics onto Corel draw and made new files but it is laborious and I don't have to time to muck around. Would love to share but it's too much of a hassle with pics all over the place when they upload.

Using a great camera - Cannon 6D with some awesome lenses.... so what's the deal?

Appreciate your input...

Cheers, Andy

post-10059-0-61983800-1408541501_thumb.j

post-10059-0-77376700-1408541505_thumb.j

The best time to plant a tree is 20 years ago. The next best time is now...

~ Chinese Proverb

10344842_10152443920736742_914492094660907758_n.jpg

Hi mate, I really want to see your pics so here's what I do. I put all new pics in sorted folders and create a resize sub folder in readiness. ThenI open up the photos by clicking on one of them which opens in my set default program, that being, Windows Live Photo Gallery. I then select Edit,organise and do all my straightening and resizing and saving into my resize folders, too easy.

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

Thanks mate

Here's a test...

post-10059-0-47592500-1408609585_thumb.j

~ Chinese Proverb

So it opens in all my programs upright... WTF?

~ Chinese Proverb

I upload to quite a few places and this site is the only one that does this so while I'm trying to work out what's going on here I'm also wondering whether this place has a different configuration....

Facebook and Drive upload the images just fine....

post-10059-0-42366300-1408614120_thumb.j

~ Chinese Proverb

Andy, a basic and simple solution would be to put the pics onto your desktop and they will load the way they are appear on desktop.

Hope this can help.

Pete :)

Some of my photos appear in windows explorer as horizontal and I adjust them accordingly, no problem there. So I can see where some images need a tweak, but it seems a different rule book when I upload here.

post-10059-0-96199300-1408619702_thumb.j

~ Chinese Proverb

Hi Pedro

Appreciate the feedback mate. I knew I'd take wads of pics so I set the camera to the smallest size - around 300 Kb... don't think it's file size.

~ Chinese Proverb

Hi Pedro

Appreciate the feedback mate. I knew I'd take wads of pics so I set the camera to the smallest size - around 300 Kb... don't think it's file size.

Hi Andy, its very strange that the pics come in sideways if they are on your desktop horizontal, try putting them onto desktop on their side?

They are on my desktop vertically but end up horizontal here. All landscape shots are fine. It does happen on one other site I should add... adds to the confusion as some sites recognise the correct angle and others don't.

Turning them sideways on my desktop seems like a pain and don't really want to micro manage every shot... I have LOTS of pics!

Off to bed now, wave a magic wand over this as I'd love to chuck a heap of pics in here!!

~ Chinese Proverb

Last resort, google the google gods.

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

This probably happens because:

- Your camera has a sensor that detects if the camera is portrait or landscape mode. The image file is flagged accordingly.

- Your picture viewer in your computer detects the orientation in the image and rotates the image properly, so you see it correctly in your computer.

- The forum image upload does not detect the image orientation, so the picture appears sideways.

Try to open the image in your computer using Windows Paint (right-click on the image, Open With > Paint). If the image appears sideways there, this is probably what's going on.

You may need to manually rotate the image using a different image viewer before uploading it to the forum.

I hope this helps.

Every camera and every editing software handle photo information differently. And then every website software (like this one) read and display it differently. For example, my iPhone does the same thing with this software, but not with some others. It is a known bug for this software, but for your situation - Canon and Corel Draw - it may be different.

I have found what I have to do is too load my photos into my iPhoto program and then upload from there. Uploading from the phone doesn't work.

Sorry I can't be of more help other than to say that the next upgrade to the forum software is supposed to recognize more photo info correctly.

Thanks to those of you who help make this a fun and friendly forum.

Thanks for the replies, I appreciate you taking the time.
Currently my schedule doesn't allow for alot of spare time so I'll look into it and hope the upgrade happens soon!
Best wishes, Andy

~ Chinese Proverb

I use picassa to suck pics out of my camera .. then check for correct aspect , then save ..

then shrink in Irfanview ...

Michael in palm paradise,

Tully, wet tropics in Australia, over 4 meters of rain every year.

Home of the Golden Gumboot, its over 8m high , our record annual rainfall.

• 10 months later...

Hi to all

I've a load of great pics to share but when I upload them here they are all over the place, upside down and horizontal. They all look right-way-up on my computer. Previously I've taken the pics onto Corel draw and made new files but it is laborious and I don't have to time to muck around. Would love to share but it's too much of a hassle with pics all over the place when they upload.

Using a great camera - Cannon 6D with some awesome lenses.... so what's the deal?

Appreciate your input...

Cheers, Andy

Same problem I need to take pictures side ways

Palms not just a tree also a state of mind

• 3 weeks later...

They are on my desktop vertically but end up horizontal here. All landscape shots are fine. It does happen on one other site I should add... adds to the confusion as some sites recognise the correct angle and others don't.

Turning them sideways on my desktop seems like a pain and don't really want to micro manage every shot... I have LOTS of pics!

Off to bed now, wave a magic wand over this as I'd love to chuck a heap of pics in here!!

I have the same problem and I HATE it!!! very annoying. Maybe it just does this with 'Andrews'?

Every camera and every editing software handle photo information differently. And then every website software (like this one) read and display it differently. For example, my iPhone does the same thing with this software, but not with some others. It is a known bug for this software, but for your situation - Canon and Corel Draw - it may be different.

I have found what I have to do is too load my photos into my iPhoto program and then upload from there. Uploading from the phone doesn't work.

Sorry I can't be of more help other than to say that the next upgrade to the forum software is supposed to recognize more photo info correctly.

Yes this happens all the time when uploading to Palmtalk from my phone, directly, but this is happening with my new computer. very annoying... When is the next upgrade going to be done for Palmtalk? Maybe I will just wait till then...