IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Lemurophoenix halleuxii Seedling Speeding Along In The Ground

Jim in Los Altos

I have tried and succeeded with many marginal palms for my area but Lemurophoenix is not one of them.

After three tries I am convinced it can not be grown in my garden.

That's not a promising result, what killed yours three times in a row? Any chance to grow this by over-Wintering inside?

Three plants let alone just one are no basis for a trial. Good luck Jim, it has been worth it already by the sounds of things. Sometimes it is better to plant very small and pot culture will result in almost 100% failure.

How is yours doing Rich?

Len

Vista, CA (Zone 10a)

Shadowridge Area

"Show me your garden and I shall tell you what you are."

-- Alfred Austin

How is yours doing Rich?

Yeah, yeah. Actually they are not allowed here in case they escape cultivation! But Dictyocaryum is still making slow progress despite the impossible tag. OK so maybe it's a 1% chance of success but high risk high reward and for the price of a good bunch of flowers why not try?

I don't get the yeah yeah part, I simply asked how yours was doing as it sounded like you were growing this. It wouldn't surprise me since you grow many things.

Why would you be allowed to grow tons of other things from Mad but not this? Crazy.

Len

Vista, CA (Zone 10a)

Shadowridge Area

-- Alfred Austin

Three plants let alone just one are no basis for a trial. Good luck Jim, it has been worth it already by the sounds of things. Sometimes it is better to plant very small and pot culture will result in almost 100% failure.

Well, Rich, so far your advice has proven pretty sound. I am going to plant mine, there's no point keeping it in a pot. one less thing to worry about in the greenhouse.

I don't get the yeah yeah part, I simply asked how yours was doing as it sounded like you were growing this. It wouldn't surprise me since you grow many things.

Why would you be allowed to grow tons of other things from Mad but not this? Crazy.

Thought you were pulling my leg for giving advice without experience! All good. But let's not get into biopolitics.

Well, Rich, so far your advice has proven pretty sound. I am going to plant mine, there's no point keeping it in a pot. one less thing to worry about in the greenhouse.

Advice?! I have no experience with this palm! Should be a really long shot for Jim but I am growing Dypsis ampasindavae from sea level in the North which really makes no sense either.

Thought you were pulling my leg for giving advice without experience! All good. But let's not get into biopolitics.

Love pulling legs. But come on, when I have pulled yours before? ;)

Len

Vista, CA (Zone 10a)

Shadowridge Area

-- Alfred Austin

Spear #4 has appeared! That means in the space of four less than four months, mine will have produced four new fronds and that's from wgphepat was a 4" container plant put directly in the ground. That's phenomenal growth speed for any newly planted seeding let alone a Lemurophoenix. I far from convinced yet that this is a no go here. We have MUCH less dry heat in the summer and I'm willing to protect it when needed. If it's at least as hardy as a Clinostigma ponapence, I've got a decent shot at making it work here.

Jim in Los Altos, CA  SF Bay Area 37.34N- 122.13W- 190' above sea level

zone 10a/9b

sunset zone 16

300+ palms, 90+ species in the ground

Las Palmas Design

Facebook Page

Las Palmas Design & Associates

Elegant Homes and Gardens

Jim, do you have a picture of the Clino?

Len

Vista, CA (Zone 10a)

Shadowridge Area

-- Alfred Austin

Len, I wish I did. This was a palm that grew in my yard ( It came from GreenEscapes in FL) for a number of years and was seven feet tall and just trunking when the freeze of 2007 took it away. It survived the freeze initially but had spear pull the following spring. It would have survived if I had protected it for two or three nights. I loved that palm but never replanted that species. I'm growing C. Savoryanum instead.

zone 10a/9b

sunset zone 16

Las Palmas Design

Facebook Page

Spear #4 has appeared! That means in the space of less than four months, mine will have produced four new fronds and that's from what was a 4" container plant put directly in the ground. That's phenomenal growth speed for any newly planted seeding let alone a Lemurophoenix. I'm far from convinced yet that this is a no go here. We have MUCH less dry heat in the summer than much of SoCal and I'm willing to protect it when needed. If it's at least as hardy as a Clinostigma ponapence, I've got a decent shot at making it work here.

I corrected the text from my earlier post. Haste makes waste!

zone 10a/9b

sunset zone 16

Las Palmas Design

Facebook Page

Len, I wish I did. This was a palm that grew in my yard ( It came from GreenEscapes in FL) for a number of years and was seven feet tall and just trunking when the freeze of 2007 took it away. It survived the freeze initially but had spear pull the following spring. It would have survived if I had protected it for two or three nights. I loved that palm but never replanted that species. I'm growing C. Savoryanum instead.

Did have entire leaves? If so most likely the real deal. I know Soledad had some brought in but they all died that first winter.

Len

Vista, CA (Zone 10a)

Shadowridge Area

-- Alfred Austin

Did have entire leaves? If so most likely the real deal. I know Soledad had some brought in but they all died that first winter.

Yes, for the most part it did but the newest leaves were split and beginning to be pinnate.

zone 10a/9b

sunset zone 16

Las Palmas Design

Facebook Page

• 4 months later...

Update...My Lemeurophoenix has not only made it through January, it has pushed a new spear from nothing at the beginning of the month to eleven inches presently. This palm is quite the little trooper and I bet the spear will open sometime in February. I threw a towel over it during the cold spell a few weeks ago and the soil remains moist at all times. I can't wait to see what it does its second warm season in the ground.

zone 10a/9b

sunset zone 16

Las Palmas Design

Facebook Page

Been a nice, warm winter for us Jim...this drought is going to be killer though...

Ben Rogers

On the border of Concord & Clayton in the East Bay hills - Elev 387 ft 37.95 °N, 121.94 °W

My back yard weather station: http://www.wunderground.com/cgi-bin/findweather/hdfForecast?query=37.954%2C-121.945&sp=KCACONCO37

Here are pictures from this afternoon.

post-181-0-41573900-1421621314_thumb.jpg post-181-0-57601700-1421621335_thumb.jpg

post-181-0-90869200-1421621358_thumb.jpg

zone 10a/9b

sunset zone 16

Las Palmas Design

Facebook Page

Been a nice, warm winter for us Jim...this drought is going to be killer though...

Ben, yes but not way off averages. The "storm door" is predicted to open again the last few days of this month and predictions for my area are 1.5 inches in a two or so day period starting Jan. 30. Lets hope it holds up. With all the rain in November/December, we're at seasonal normals now even with this dry January so far. The funny thing is, is that my Lemeurophonix hallexii is the fastest growing palm in my entire garden at the present. It's faster than all my cool season palms like Ceroxylon, Rhopalostylis, Trachycarpus, etc. I'm not complaining.

zone 10a/9b

sunset zone 16

Las Palmas Design

Facebook Page

I don't use a lot of expletives but on seeing that feel the need to swear. That is awesome Jim!

Rich, I won't be offended if you let out some big ones. :)

zone 10a/9b

sunset zone 16

Las Palmas Design

Facebook Page

Jim,

That's a great looking Lemurophoenix! I hope it continues to do well for you! :) Definitely one of my favorite palms.

Bo-Göran

Leilani Estates, 25 mls/40 km south of Hilo, Big Island of Hawai'i. Elevation 880 ft/270 m. Average rainfall 140 inches/3550 mm

Jim, keep us posted on it's progress as we continue to go through our winter months :greenthumb:

Carlsbad, California Zone 10 B on the hill (402 ft. elevation)

Sunset zone 24

Jim,

That's a great looking Lemurophoenix! I hope it continues to do well for you! :) Definitely one of my favorite palms.

Bo-Göran

Thanks, Bo. When I first laid eyes on a mature Lemeurophonix, I knew after the drooling stopped, I had to get my hands on one. Actually two. I kept the other one potted and it didn't last long at all. I like getting palms in the ground right away and the one pictured seemed to appreciate it from the start. It was in a four inch container when I planted it in spring 2014.

zone 10a/9b

sunset zone 16

Las Palmas Design

Facebook Page

you now have the most famous lemur palm in the world.

Rob, I hope you're able to say that me next year at this time but judging by how this young specimen is doing so far, I'm guessing you will. :)

zone 10a/9b

sunset zone 16

Las Palmas Design

Facebook Page

Jim, I had a big 5 gal (3' tall) for a couple of years but the Santa Ana winds always made the darn leaves brown tip real bad. I decided enough was a nuff...whack!! chop!! and in the trash can.. :crying:

Carlsbad, California Zone 10 B on the hill (402 ft. elevation)

Sunset zone 24

I bet that thing is going to make it. Well done Jim.

Millbrook, "Kinjarling" Noongar word meaning "Place of Rain", Rainbow Coast, Western Australia 35S. Warm temperate. Csb Koeppen Climate classification. Cool nights all year round.

Jim, I had a big 5 gal (3' tall) for a couple of years but the Santa Ana winds always made the darn leaves brown tip real bad. I decided enough was a nuff...whack!! chop!! and in the trash can.. :crying:

Ouch Josh! I know these palms can't tolerate those harsh Santa Ana winds and that is likely why the Lemeur palm has failed in SoCal for a lot of people. I'm hoping that's where I have an advantage up here since our humidity levels are consistently higher in the Bay Area. They don't like cold either apparently but mine is weathering its first winter well and when we have a colder winter, I'll protect it when needed.

zone 10a/9b

sunset zone 16

Las Palmas Design

Facebook Page

I bet that thing is going to make it. Well done Jim.

Thanks for the vote of confidence, Tyrone!

zone 10a/9b

sunset zone 16

Las Palmas Design

Facebook Page

I sense the spirit of the Palm Queen, Pauleen Sullivan, hovering over Jim's shoulder ! :winkie:

San Francisco, California

Ouch Josh! I know these palms can't tolerate those harsh Santa Ana winds and that is likely why the Lemeur palm has failed in SoCal for a lot of people. I'm hoping that's where I have an advantage up here since our humidity levels are consistently higher in the Bay Area. They don't like cold either apparently but mine is weathering its first winter well and when we have a colder winter, I'll protect it when needed.

glad I planted mine where it's almost completely wind shielded...

Paradise Hills, 4 miles inland, south facing slope in the back, north facing yard in the front

No doubt about it Jim - you have the magic palm touch !

Old Beach ,Hobart
Tasmania ,Australia. 42 " south
Cool Maritime climate

Jim, with that remarkable growth, I think your "next" Palm Port of call has to be Dictyocaryum ?

Pete :)

Jim, with that remarkable growth, I think your "next" Palm Port of call has to be Dictyocaryum ?

Pete :)

Oh yeah. Who doesn't drool at the sight of a well grown D. lamarckianum? They're a cool zone 11 but that's probably not a whole lot different than Lemeurophonix. It looks delicate though but if Floribunda had any, I'd love to give a couple a try anyhow.

zone 10a/9b

sunset zone 16

Las Palmas Design

Facebook Page

• 5 weeks later...

Just one month has passed since I posted pictures and today I have a new leaf opening on my Lemur palm. It's already becoming pinnate. A new leaf opened in December as well. The last picture is from summer 2014.

post-181-0-91969400-1424552820_thumb.jpg post-181-0-77208800-1424552857_thumb.jpg post-181-0-10729300-1424552906_thumb.jpg

my size 11 shoe (12" long) for comparison.

post-181-0-83078100-1424553071_thumb.jpg

last summer

• Upvote 1

zone 10a/9b

sunset zone 16

Las Palmas Design

Facebook Page