IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Lemurophoenix halleuxii Seedling Speeding Along In The Ground

Jim in Los Altos

Now that we're officially out of winter here in Cali, just thought I'd bump in to check in... How's your Lemur doing Jim? I'm also curios to know how long you grew it in your hothouse before you planted it in the ground... ?

Now that we're officially out of winter here in Cali, just thought I'd bump in to check in... How's your Lemur doing Jim? I'm also curios to know how long you grew it in your hothouse before you planted it in the ground... ?

Ben, It's doing fine. It's about to open another new leaf, slowly though with this cool damp weather we're having. It never spent a day in a hothouse. I planted it the day I received it out of its 4'' container in spring of 2014.

Jim in Los Altos, CA  SF Bay Area 37.34N- 122.13W- 190' above sea level

zone 10a/9b

sunset zone 16

300+ palms, 90+ species in the ground

Las Palmas Design

Facebook Page

Las Palmas Design & Associates

Elegant Homes and Gardens

Jim, whats you average retaliative humidity in your garden in the summer and winter months. I've noticed you have pond(S) and I think maybe a stream in your garden.

Carlsbad, California Zone 10 B on the hill (402 ft. elevation)

Sunset zone 24

Photos from this afternoon. Second pic shows new frond opening.

post-181-0-09972000-1431217267_thumb.jpg

post-181-0-48128300-1431217275_thumb.jpg

post-181-0-71725700-1431217283_thumb.jpg

zone 10a/9b

sunset zone 16

Las Palmas Design

Facebook Page

looks good Jim and a whole summer in front of it !

Old Beach ,Hobart
Tasmania ,Australia. 42 " south
Cool Maritime climate

Jim, whats you average retaliative humidity in your garden in the summer and winter months. I've noticed you have pond(S) and I think maybe a stream in your garden.

Josh, Humidity here varies but, for the most part, it's relatively high given my proximity to the SF Bay and the Pacific ocean. Occasionally we'll get an offshore flow and a heat-up and that's when relative humidity can drop to 25% or, in some rare cases lower than that. Typically is ranging from 40 to 60% daytime summer and 50 to 80% summer nights. Winter is damper. This morning at 10 AM it was overcast and 90% humidity. At 5:30 PM it's sunny, breezy, 70F and 62%.

zone 10a/9b

sunset zone 16

Las Palmas Design

Facebook Page

looks good Jim and a whole summer in front of it !

Troy, We just need some heat!

zone 10a/9b

sunset zone 16

Las Palmas Design

Facebook Page

That's a really great effort Jim...just goes to show that you'll never know unless you try...

Daryl

Gold Coast, Queensland Latitude 28S. Mild, Humid Subtropical climate. Rainfall - not consistent enough!

That's a really great effort Jim...just goes to show that you'll never know unless you try...

Daryl

I water the heck out of it, Daryl. You know how thirsty these are. Your Lemur is to die for!

zone 10a/9b

sunset zone 16

Las Palmas Design

Facebook Page

Josh, Humidity here varies but, for the most part, it's relatively high given my proximity to the SF Bay and the Pacific ocean. Occasionally we'll get an offshore flow and a heat-up and that's when relative humidity can drop to 25% or, in some rare cases lower than that. Typically is ranging from 40 to 60% daytime summer and 50 to 80% summer nights. Winter is damper. This morning at 10 AM it was overcast and 90% humidity. At 5:30 PM it's sunny, breezy, 70F and 62%.

thanks for the info Jim.

Sunset zone 24

Jim have you noticed if the leaves are getting "shorter California sized" or bigger?

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

Jim have you noticed if the leaves are getting "shorter California sized" or bigger?

Bill, My Lemur was a tiny plant out of a 4" container when I planted it and has added lots of leaves since. It's interesting that, so far, the leaf stems have been of varying lengths, some long, some shorter and that's been variable since it was planted a year ago.

zone 10a/9b

sunset zone 16

Las Palmas Design

Facebook Page

I just picked up 2 1 gal sized Lemurs to try again. I'm debating planting one close to mine to make a "double" hahaah. Anyway, its a bit sad that the fresh 1 gals are bigger than mine in the ground :bummed:

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

I just picked up 2 1 gal sized Lemurs to try again. I'm debating planting one close to mine to make a "double" hahaah. Anyway, its a bit sad that the fresh 1 gals are bigger than mine in the ground :bummed:

Bill, Did you get yours from Jeff Marcus? That's who sold me mine.

zone 10a/9b

sunset zone 16

Las Palmas Design

Facebook Page

yep...

Bill they will be trunking before your house is finished.

• Upvote 1

Len

Vista, CA (Zone 10a)

Shadowridge Area

"Show me your garden and I shall tell you what you are."

-- Alfred Austin

That means palm peeps will be salivating to buy when I sell... :)

Jim what were your average minimums and maximum temps for winter where you are? What you've pulled off is just incredible. Also in winter do you get cold strong winds, or is it mild and still for most of winter?

Millbrook, "Kinjarling" Noongar word meaning "Place of Rain", Rainbow Coast, Western Australia 35S. Warm temperate. Csb Koeppen Climate classification. Cool nights all year round.

Jim your plant success is amazing, do you hormones like seaweed, superthrive and the like?

Sol Cooper

Hobart Tasmania

42 degrees South

Mild climate - mostly frost free

Jim what were your average minimums and maximum temps for winter where you are? What you've pulled off is just incredible. Also in winter do you get cold strong winds, or is it mild and still for most of winter?

Tyrone, I don't know what my averages were. My lowest temperature was 32.5F (0.2C) on two nights. We had almost average rainfall at just over 16 inches that fell almost completely in three storms spaced far apart so most of the winter was dry, mild, and without much wind. I'm in a fairly wind sheltered area anyhow. My Lemur produced two new leaves during the winter which surprised the ****** out of me. We're experiencing a cool, damp, breezy period right now so the current new frond is opening slowly. Rain is expected this Thursday despite the "rainy" season being over.

zone 10a/9b

sunset zone 16

Las Palmas Design

Facebook Page

Jim your plant success is amazing, do you hormones like seaweed, superthrive and the like?

Sol, I never use hormones, Superthrive, or seaweed on any of my palms or other plants. Heavy mulching over the last several years has yielded fantastic soil throughout my yard. PH is naturally slightly acid and my alkaline irrigation water likely keeps it that way or close to neutral at times. I occasionally spread Dr. Earth Palm Fertilizer around and occasionally ammonium sulfate on the surface of heavy mulch to assist its breaking down. The Lemur get frequent watering of course.

zone 10a/9b

sunset zone 16

Las Palmas Design

Facebook Page

Jim I agree that heavy mulching is the way to go, as they say feed the soil.

Sol Cooper

Hobart Tasmania

42 degrees South

Mild climate - mostly frost free

Tyrone, I don't know what my averages were. My lowest temperature was 32.5F (0.2C) on two nights. We had almost average rainfall at just over 16 inches that fell almost completely in three storms spaced far apart so most of the winter was dry, mild, and without much wind. I'm in a fairly wind sheltered area anyhow. My Lemur produced two new leaves during the winter which surprised the ****** out of me. We're experiencing a cool, damp, breezy period right now so the current new frond is opening slowly. Rain is expected this Thursday despite the "rainy" season being over.

Well whatever you are doing keep doing it. You're lucky to be in a wind sheltered spot. I've got 6 acres of basically open fields in a valley so I get strong cold winds and cold drainage when there is no wind, and it's almost always wet or full of dew here, so I have no hope in a billion years of growing a Lemur palm.

Millbrook, "Kinjarling" Noongar word meaning "Place of Rain", Rainbow Coast, Western Australia 35S. Warm temperate. Csb Koeppen Climate classification. Cool nights all year round.

Move along..... Just a boo-boo here... nothing to see

• 4 months later...

Do, please tell

while we salivate

ahem

urk

licky

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

• 6 months later...

Any update Jim?

Len

Vista, CA (Zone 10a)

Shadowridge Area

"Show me your garden and I shall tell you what you are."

-- Alfred Austin

• 8 months later...
1 hour ago, akamu said:

Hi Jim is the lemur still with us:interesting:

Nope, After nearly three years in the ground and quadrupling in size, it suddenly went totally brown during the spring almost from one day to the next. It was as if someone had torched it with a flamethrower yet it was moist at ground level. Mysterious but a fun experiment nonetheless. I replaced it with a Pinanga philippinensis.

• Upvote 1

zone 10a/9b

sunset zone 16

Las Palmas Design

Facebook Page

So sorry to hear this.

I am lucky so far to have one growing steadily in the ground and three seedlings still in pots in PR.

Majestic trees!

Cindy Adair

15 hours ago, akamu said:
13 hours ago, Jim in Los Altos said:
13 hours ago, Jim in Los Altos said:

Nope, After nearly three years in the ground and quadrupling in size, it suddenly went totally brown during the spring almost from one day to the next. It was as if someone had torched it with a flamethrower yet it was moist at ground level. Mysterious but a fun experiment nonetheless. I replaced it with a Pinanga philippinensis.

It was a good run Jim

• Upvote 1

Sunset zone 24

6 hours ago, Cindy Adair said:

So sorry to hear this.

I am lucky so far to have one growing steadily in the ground and three seedlings still in pots in PR.

Majestic trees!

Cindy, you should start a progressive thread so we can watch your little babies grow up.

Thy will be big in no time in your climate :)

Sunset zone 24

Sorry to hear about the Lemur Jim I have been contemplating giving this one ago for awhile. Allways fun to try  like you said          Pinanga  philipinnensis is a great substitute  palm indeed Cheers