IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Mid summer pics

Palm crazy

Summer starts in the PNW July 1 goes to September 30 so we are in the mid season for palm growing. With six more weeks to go this will be a good year for the palms.

July.

DSC00036_zpse0383af2.jpg

August. six weeks of growth.

DSC00007_zps1f941b4a.jpg

July JxBF2

DSC00018_zpsc4409404.jpg

Notice it is already getting more silver in the leaves. Six weeks later.

DSC00044_zps919f8ba9.jpg

Edited by Palm crazy

One more butia in July.

38591a64-d06e-4cb6-a4e5-0d2831266008_zps

Mid August. The trunk base has really fatten up so far.

DSC00037_zpscacb3840.jpg

Thanks for looking will update at the end of September on thesethreepalms. Not bad for one of the coolest summer climates in the US.

Edited by Palm crazy

Nice palms!Nice collection!! It´s always a pleasure to see the growth in mid summer!

Carambeí, 2nd tableland of the State Paraná , south Brazil.

Alt:1030m. Native palms: Queen, B. eriospatha, B. microspadix, Allagoptera leucocalyx , A.campestris, Geonoma schottiana, Trithrinax acanthocoma. Subtr. climate, some frosty nights. No dry season. August: driest month. Rain:1700mm

I am seeking for cold hardy palms!

Thanks man, nice to see you posting on the cold hardy message board. I only have 2-3 warm months a year but its enough to get some growth out of the heat loving palms. LOL!

Will update again late summer. Thanks Alberto.

Edited by Palm crazy

Great pics and very happy looking palms. How often do you water them, that is, if it doesn't rain for lets say a week?

None of my sun loving feather palms have irrigation, it all done by hand. That way they won’t get to much watering. Only the shade palms have micro-sprayer. Native soil it sandy loan with a good dressing of leave mulch on top. If the week is only in the 70’s water once a week. 80’s twice a week and upper 80’s into the 90’s three time a week. Watering is done with a 3 gallon container (warm tap water) and I usually put fish fertilizer in the water when it’s really hot, but also use palm fertilizer and rock dust twice a year. The rest of the garden has sprinklers so watering is very easy just have to set the timer. Once a week for one hour and twice a week or more half hour of watering each time. I try to keep all the water loving plants in one bed and we get very little rain or none in July and August.

Edited by Palm crazy

Sunny pics of nice palms. They look very healthy and show good growth. What are your max temps in summer?

Hi Peter, the warmest average high here is 79F/26.2C for two weeks LOL! Before/after that it is 78F/25.5C for most of the summer. We get short heat waves followed by cooler temps. Here is this weeks weather give you idea…http://www.weather.com/weather/tenday/USWA0318 Feel free to look at the monthly highs in July and August this year and you’ll see what my summer are like. BTW it is warmer in town at night than at the airport by quite a bit in winter. But summer only a few degrees warmer at night.

Warmest this year so far…96F/35.5C but we can get warm in the spring too. Example May 1 this year was 88F/31.1C, normal would be 62F/16.6C.

Coldest this winter night 16F/-8.8C …did a lot of damage to tender New Zealand plants and a few feather palms did have partial center spear pull. However, they all made a slow recovery.

Rain fall is 50” maybe 55” where I am. Very cool temps 9 months of the year and lots of mostly cloudy days in winter.

Thanks for asking about my little part of the world.

Edited by Palm crazy

Very interesting Palm crazy... I'll have to take a couple of notes from you. Never heard about putting fish fertilizer with the water, pretty cool.

It’s called Alaska fish fertilizer and Azomite rock dust. Both good stuff for palms, but a good balance palm fertilizer is also key to palm health I try to use organics like DR. Earth, when ever possible but have also used miracle grow for fast release during heat waves. Just don’t over do it. MY soil is very sandy so I don’t have to worry about to much fertilizer build up.

You must be seeing Embothrium coccineum tree, that you can kinda see in the first photo.

I think theres one variety that can be grown in 7b, not sure what that ones name is.

http://www.palmtalk.org/forum/index.php?/topic/41899-chilean-fire-tree-a-great-tree-in-zones-8-9/?hl=%2Bembothrium+%2Bcoccineum#entry646890

Edited by Palm crazy

Oh wow...At first glance to me it looked like a Euc with both adult and juvenile foliage. Neat! Now I see the pod....

wxBanner?bannertype=wu_clean2day_cond&pw

Hi Peter, the warmest average high here is 79F/26.2C for two weeks LOL! Before/after that it is 78F/25.5C for most of the summer. We get short heat waves followed by cooler temps. Here is this weeks weather give you idea…http://www.weather.com/weather/tenday/USWA0318 Feel free to look at the monthly highs in July and August this year and you’ll see what my summer are like. BTW it is warmer in town at night than at the airport by quite a bit in winter. But summer only a few degrees warmer at night.

Warmest this year so far…96F/35.5C but we can get warm in the spring too. Example May 1 this year was 88F/31.1C, normal would be 62F/16.6C.

Coldest this winter night 16F/-8.8C …did a lot of damage to tender New Zealand plants and a few feather palms did have partial center spear pull. However, they all made a slow recovery.

Rain fall is 50” maybe 55” where I am. Very cool temps 9 months of the year and lots of mostly cloudy days in winter.

Thanks for asking about my little part of the world.

That is much warmer than what we have at the moment. We had a few days with max temps of 15C (59F) which is 6 degrees colder than normal for August.

Two more months and the rainy season starts here in the PNW, until then I’m just enjoying the nice weather and I don’t do any yard work in the months of July or August. Have a friend from Hawaii coming here to visit this week for a month so hope to start gardening again in the cooler days of September.

Great growth there your garden is looking really nice !

Old Beach ,Hobart
Tasmania ,Australia. 42 " south
Cool Maritime climate