IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

NorCal "Tropic Zone" Garden Pics From Today

Jim in Los Altos

Thanks Adam and Peachy for the nice compliments. Peachy, I want to see more pictures of your palms and garden. It's been too long!

There is no garden anymore Jim. 2.5 years without rain, even the 18 year old Alexander Palms died. Add to that, a garden company I hired to trim the plants around the house before it was repainted, took to everything with a bloody chainsaw within a 2 metre radius of the house. The only survivors are the big queens, some native Livistonias, my awful Phoenix reclinata and the Bismarkia, oh and a few Golden Canes and the Royal. I am not physically strong enough to start again, specially with the difficult clay soil and extreme climate so I am going to wait until I can move back to Melbourne. I have bought a place in the inner city down there, but it will be about 15 years before I can afford to live in it. Till that wondrous day eventuates, I am just going to try and learn as much as I can about the theoretical side of Palms and Cycads etc.

Peachy

I came. I saw. I purchased

27.35 south.

Warm subtropical, with occasional frosts.

Oh Peachy, I feel for you. You can't trust almost anyone near beloved plants! You can't rely on Mother Nature often either. She disappoints on a regular basis it seems. Enjoy those palms you have. Sometimes less is more.

Jim in Los Altos, CA  SF Bay Area 37.34N- 122.13W- 190' above sea level

zone 10a/9b

sunset zone 16

300+ palms, 90+ species in the ground

Las Palmas Design

Facebook Page

Las Palmas Design & Associates

Elegant Homes and Gardens

Somehow I missed the original posting of this thread. Very pleased it was bumped, as Jim's garden is a fine display of what can be achieved.

Nice to hear from you again Peachy. You've gone from floods to drought it seems?

Oceanic Climate

Annual Rainfall:1000mm

Temp Range:2c-30c

Aotearoa

• 3 months later...

This one is always worth a bump. Jim, what is the blue bamboo? Is it Bambusa chungii? And do you remember where you got it?

Ben Rogers

On the border of Concord & Clayton in the East Bay hills - Elev 387 ft 37.95 °N, 121.94 °W

My back yard weather station: http://www.wunderground.com/cgi-bin/findweather/hdfForecast?query=37.954%2C-121.945&sp=KCACONCO37

This one is always worth a bump. Jim, what is the blue bamboo? Is it Bambusa chungii? And do you remember where you got it?

Ben, It's Fargesia nitida 'blue fountain' and everyone seems to love it the minute they see it. It needs partial shade and lots of water, particularly when it gets hot or it will shed tons of leaves. It's a fast grower and a clumper so no need for a root barrier.

zone 10a/9b

sunset zone 16

Las Palmas Design

Facebook Page

Jim you are an artist

Thank you, Angel!

zone 10a/9b

sunset zone 16

Las Palmas Design

Facebook Page

Ben, It's Fargesia nitida 'blue fountain' and everyone seems to love it the minute they see it. It needs partial shade and lots of water, particularly when it gets hot or it will shed tons of leaves. It's a fast grower and a clumper so no need for a root barrier.

Thanks Jim. I got a Himalayacalamus hookerianus at Flora Grubb yesterday, and ordered both Bambusa chungii and Dendrocalamus minor amoenus online to potentially try. All clumpers. Also have Bambusa lako on the way. When I get into a new plant, I don't mess around. :yay:

Ben Rogers

On the border of Concord & Clayton in the East Bay hills - Elev 387 ft 37.95 °N, 121.94 °W

My back yard weather station: http://www.wunderground.com/cgi-bin/findweather/hdfForecast?query=37.954%2C-121.945&sp=KCACONCO37

Ben, I have a clump of B. chungii that could use a division......let me know if you are interested.

Thanks,

JC

John Case

Brentwood CA

Owner and curator of Hana Keu Garden

USDA Zone 9b more or less, Sunset Zone 14 in winter 9 in summer

"Its always exciting the first time you save the world. Its a real thrill!"

Awesome garden and landscape Jim. I think its my favorite garden from the ones I've seen here on Palmtalk. I love your planting style and I plan on looking back at your pics for landscape design ideas and inspiration as I make my own little palm tree paradise. Thanks for sharing, I look forward for more pics of your place in the future.

Jim do you have any older pics of your place? It would be pretty cool to see some before and afters.

Jim, your garden is outstanding. Reminds me of my childhood in the tropics.

Palos Verdes Estates - coastal Los Angeles - 33°45'N 118°24'W

On a cliff, 2 blocks from the Pacific Ocean. Zone 10b - Sunset zone 24

Thanks, Carl and Pedro!

zone 10a/9b

sunset zone 16

Las Palmas Design

Facebook Page

Fantastic as always! Jim how are your Lemur and coconut doing?

My Lemur is currently opening another new coral colored leaf. It seems to grow in spurts. My young Maylayan dwarf finally breathed its last breath :crying: but my two foot tall Jamaican tall looks great and is slowly pushing a new frond.

zone 10a/9b

sunset zone 16

Las Palmas Design

Facebook Page

• 2 weeks later...

Jim, questions regarding your beautiful gardens. Did you plan palmate and pinnate leaves or did you plant random and still make it look great?

How far apart on average are separate types planted? I see some of the same quite close. I have a Bismark in the middle of my front yard and 4 Chinenses in pots that need to go inground. Would they look good planted close to each other? If they do, any particular arrangement? How far apart?

So sorry for all the questions but after looking at your garden im so hoping not to screw mine up. It wont be anywhere close to looking like yours but i can dream.

Thanks Will

Jim, questions regarding your beautiful gardens. Did you plan palmate and pinnate leaves or did you plant random and still make it look great?

How far apart on average are separate types planted? I see some of the same quite close. I have a Bismark in the middle of my front yard and 4 Chinenses in pots that need to go inground. Would they look good planted close to each other? If they do, any particular arrangement? How far apart?

So sorry for all the questions but after looking at your garden im so hoping not to screw mine up. It wont be anywhere close to looking like yours but i can dream.

Thanks Will

Will, I plant palms close together for a number of reasons. First, I enjoy a rainforest type of landscape so there are lots of plants close together. Second, it helps with zone pushing since the density of the garden creates its own "blankets" protecting tenser palms from cold and dry heat. Thirdly, I don't have as much room as I wish I did so, in order to satisfy my need to collect palms, I squeeze 'em in.

A long as you have areas of negative space such as lawns patios, fish ponds, patching, etc. it won't end up looking like a confusing mess. You can plant all of you L. chinensis together in one hole and they'll grow together not an impressive cluster. My garden is constantly evolving and always has. There are permanent "bones" such as mature palms and other plantings but there's always something new happening. I started out with common palms like queens, Washingtonia, Trachycarpus, etc. placed in groups before grouping Archontophoenix in groves. Then a lot of more unusual palms came but rarely only one of each. Almost every species of palm I have in my garden is repeated within sight distance of each other but with palms, I think you can get away with single species since to the naked eye, there are enough similarities in different palms that a sense of harmony still exists.

• Upvote 1

zone 10a/9b

sunset zone 16

Las Palmas Design

Facebook Page

Great work Jim! Your place is a real inspiration!

Thank you, Pete.

zone 10a/9b

sunset zone 16

Las Palmas Design

Facebook Page

Will, I plant palms close together for a number of reasons. First, I enjoy a rainforest type of landscape so there are lots of plants close together. Second, it helps with zone pushing since the density of the garden creates its own "blankets" protecting tenser palms from cold and dry heat. Thirdly, I don't have as much room as I wish I did so, in order to satisfy my need to collect palms, I squeeze 'em in.

Love it, Jim - your NEED to collect palms, not your desire... :mrlooney:

Ben Rogers

Thanks Will

A long as you have areas of negative space such as lawns patios, fish ponds, patching, etc. it won't end up looking like a confusing mess. You can plant all of you L. chinensis together in one hole and they'll grow together not an impressive cluster. My garden is constantly evolving and always has. There are permanent "bones" such as mature palms and other plantings but there's always something new happening. I started out with common palms like queens, Washingtonia, Trachycarpus, etc. placed in groups before grouping Archontophoenix in groves. Then a lot of more unusual palms came but rarely only one of each. Almost every species of palm I have in my garden is repeated within sight distance of each other but with palms, I think you can get away with single species since to the naked eye, there are enough similarities in different palms that a sense of harmony still exists.

I hate spell check! Second sentence, tenser should be tender, fourth sentence, patching should be pathing.

zone 10a/9b

sunset zone 16

Las Palmas Design

Facebook Page

Love it, Jim - your NEED to collect palms, not your desire... :mrlooney:

Ben, yes my NEED, for palms. This I consider a ''healthy'' sickness. :hmm::winkie::mrlooney:

zone 10a/9b

sunset zone 16

Las Palmas Design

Facebook Page

Im glad you clarified, i thought i was going to have to share my wine with tense palms to help them relax. :mrlooney:

I understood what you were saying despite the misspelling, i mean spell check,Thank You for the info. The Chinensis are in 4 seperate

pots and i was considering making a circle around the Bismark with bromeliads in between. What do you think? Chinensis overkill?

By the way it is a healthy sickness, i daydream all day at work about being in my yard playing in dirt.

• 1 month later...

Bump....was showing some family members the look I was trying to achieve.

David Simms zone 9a on Highway 30a

200 steps from the Gulf in NW Florida

30 ft. elevation and sandy soil

Bump....was showing some family members the look I was trying to achieve.

Dave, I'm glad you bumped. It gave me a chance to realize a year's worth of growth since then. Some things, like my foxy lady, have more than doubled in size while others are barely different.

zone 10a/9b

sunset zone 16

Las Palmas Design

Facebook Page

Very impressive Jim . I love the way you have done the planting. Would pass for a resort .