IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

NorCal "Tropic Zone" Garden Pics From Today

Jim in Los Altos

Totally inspiring and amazing stuff their Jim. Totally unbelievable really when you consider the palate of palms you're growing, and none of them look scrappy or unhappy. You make me never want to post pictures of my crap looking plants on Palmtalk again. I don't know how you do it, but keep it up.

Millbrook, "Kinjarling" Noongar word meaning "Place of Rain", Rainbow Coast, Western Australia 35S. Warm temperate. Csb Koeppen Climate classification. Cool nights all year round.

Just spectacular! Its hard to believe considering your climate. You have achieved such a lush tropical look.

El Oasis - beach garden, distinct wet/dry season ,year round 20-38c

Las Heliconias - jungle garden ,800m elevation,150+ inches rainfall, year round 15-28c

Just keeps getting better Jim :drool:

After 2 visits to Jims 2010 and 2013 i have to say it has given me alot of ideas and inspiration for my yard .

Old Beach ,Hobart
Tasmania ,Australia. 42 " south
Cool Maritime climate

Immaculate and spectacular. Magazine worthy! Coffee table book worthy! You must be out there 24/7 either working, playing, or enjoying. Wonderful and thanks for posting all the photos, I enjoyed every one. :)

Kim Cyr

Between the beach and the bays, Point Loma, San Diego, California USA
and on a 300 year-old lava flow, Pahoa, Hawaii, 1/4 mile from the 2018 flow
All characters  in this work are fictitious. Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental.

Totally inspiring and amazing stuff their Jim. Totally unbelievable really when you consider the palate of palms you're growing, and none of them look scrappy or unhappy. You make me never want to post pictures of my crap looking plants on Palmtalk again. I don't know how you do it, but keep it up.

Tyrone, I enjoy seeing your garden pictures and I'm sure the rest of us do to. keep 'em comin'. Thanks for the compliments!

Jim in Los Altos, CA  SF Bay Area 37.34N- 122.13W- 190' above sea level

zone 10a/9b

sunset zone 16

300+ palms, 90+ species in the ground

Las Palmas Design

Facebook Page

Las Palmas Design & Associates

Elegant Homes and Gardens

Immaculate and spectacular. Magazine worthy! Coffee table book worthy! You must be out there 24/7 either working, playing, or enjoying. Wonderful and thanks for posting all the photos, I enjoyed every one. :)

Wow, Kim. I'm not sure what to say except thank you! I putter around in the garden daily for twenty minutes or so in the morning then off to work. I spend a little time out there after work too sometimes. One day a week I spend a couple hours trimming, sweeping up, hand watering, etc. and I eat out in the backyard whenever I can.

zone 10a/9b

sunset zone 16

Las Palmas Design

Facebook Page

Just keeps getting better Jim :drool:

After 2 visits to Jims 2010 and 2013 i have to say it has given me alot of ideas and inspiration for my yard .

Troy, When's your next trip out to the States?

zone 10a/9b

sunset zone 16

Las Palmas Design

Facebook Page

Absolutely beautiful! Great yard

Hesperia,Southern CA (High Desert area). Zone 8b

Elevation; about 3600 ft.

Lowest temp. I can expect each year 19/20*f lowest since I've been growing palms *13(2007) Hottest temp. Each year *106

Jim, your place is amazing. I have enjoyed watching your garden grow over the last few years and it keeps getting better.

Congratulations.

Peter

Peter

hot and humid, short rainy season May through October, 14* latitude, 90* longitude

Great shots, Jim! But the palms you claim to be Rhopies, seeing the colour of the petioles, are they not Mascarena verschaffeltii?

Wim.

Jim.... All I can say is wow!

Jeff

Modesto, CA USDA 9b

July/August average 95f/63f

Dec/Jan average 55f/39f

Average lowest winter temp 27f

Record low temp 18f

Record high temp 113f

Great shots, Jim! But the palms you claim to be Rhopies, seeing the colour of the petioles, are they not Mascarena verschaffeltii?

Wim.

No Wim, I've not had much luck with those because our winters can be too cool and damp. Rhopies love cool and damp and I have several of them of both baueri and sapida.

zone 10a/9b

sunset zone 16

Las Palmas Design

Facebook Page

Awesome as usual Jim!

Glenn

Modesto, California

Sunset Zone 14   USDA 9b

Low Temp. 19F/-7C 12-20-1990         

High Temp. 111F/43C 07-23-2006

Annual Average Precipitation 13.12 inches/yr.

Wow, what a beautiful place you have Jim! You definitely have an eye for design (I definitely lack that!) for the layout of everything. Just looking at the pictures gives you that soothing, calm feeling! Great job!

Wim.

No Wim, I've not had much luck with those because our winters can be too cool and damp. Rhopies love cool and damp and I have several of them of both baueri and sapida.

Jim, here in Holland, I can't get Mascarena's through winter either. Now, I am trying my luck with Rhopies too, both sapida and baueri, but I haven't yet seen any as colourful as yours!

Wim.

Jim, Absolutely magnificent design. Your garden has a nice, natural flow throughout & I promise not to use any of your ideas. :) Ya

"If you need me, I'll be outside" -Randy Wiesner Palm Beach County, Florida Zone 10Bish

beautiful garden Jim! looks like your in Bali.

"it's not dead it's sleeping"

Santee ca, zone10a/9b

18 miles from the ocean

avg. winter 68/40.avg summer 88/64.records 113/25

Ok Jim I have had another look at your garden to inspired me to do a full day of hard labor ( on my day off ) in my garden ! :bemused:

Old Beach ,Hobart
Tasmania ,Australia. 42 " south
Cool Maritime climate

Ok Jim I have had another look at your garden to inspired me to do a full day of hard labor ( on my day off ) in my garden ! :bemused:

Good for you, Troy!

zone 10a/9b

sunset zone 16

Las Palmas Design

Facebook Page

Jim, Absolutely magnificent design. Your garden has a nice, natural flow throughout & I promise not to use any of your ideas. :) Ya

Randy, I hereby give you permission to copy anything you want. :)

zone 10a/9b

sunset zone 16

Las Palmas Design

Facebook Page

beautiful garden Jim! looks like your in Bali.

Steve, Bali is definitely, in part, my inspiration.

zone 10a/9b

sunset zone 16

Las Palmas Design

Facebook Page

What ? No ficus dammaropisis ?

They sure add an extra exotic flair to the other ordinary , beautiful tropical mid cal garden!

Modesto, CA USDA 9b

Dec/Jan average 55f/39f

Record low temp 18f

Record high temp 113f

They sure add an extra exotic flair to the other ordinary , beautiful tropical mid cal garden!

Jeff, for sure but where do I find one? I've been looking. There is one on EBay for a "Buy It Now" price of $275.00 and it's tiny.

zone 10a/9b

sunset zone 16

Las Palmas Design

Facebook Page

....wordless.... my Latin vocabulary seems to increase suddenly and then.... and then... nothing. There is a lot to be said for that kind of passion I just have no clue on how to do it.

Are you reptilian?

wxBanner?bannertype=wu_clean2day_cond&pw

....wordless.... my Latin vocabulary seems to increase suddenly and then.... and then... nothing. There is a lot to be said for that kind of passion I just have no clue on how to do it.

Are you reptilian?

post-181-0-77713900-1407998264_thumb.gif Not if this is what you're talking about. :mrlooney:

zone 10a/9b

sunset zone 16

Las Palmas Design

Facebook Page

Jeff, for sure but where do I find one? I've been looking. There is one on EBay for a "Buy It Now" price of $275.00 and it's tiny.

They grow fast though, Jim. I have one and it's done great here through last winter...will be interesting to see how it does through more prolonged cold.

Ben Rogers

On the border of Concord & Clayton in the East Bay hills - Elev 387 ft 37.95 °N, 121.94 °W

My back yard weather station: http://www.wunderground.com/cgi-bin/findweather/hdfForecast?query=37.954%2C-121.945&sp=KCACONCO37

Jim,

I had one in a 15 gal pot that I was gonna donate to the auction at the Oct Norcal IPS meeting at Glenns house... Un fortunately It out grew its pot and now its in ground growing bigger by the minute.

Yea I saw that crazy price on ebay.... I actually sold a couple of gallon sized ones for over $200 each. But my min bid started at below $100.

Once I master propagating them, I'll keep you in mind. You'd think that since they are a super fast growing ficus, they'd be easy to grow from a cutting.... they are not!

I think Jungle music has them from time to time... they go fast.

Other than that.... perhaps another palm board grower can chime in and hook a brother up?

Modesto, CA USDA 9b

Dec/Jan average 55f/39f

Record low temp 18f

Record high temp 113f

Magnolia macrophylla might be a good substitute for Ficus dammaropisis for those of us that are in colder zones than Jim.

David Simms zone 9a on Highway 30a

200 steps from the Gulf in NW Florida

30 ft. elevation and sandy soil

Jim,

I had one in a 15 gal pot that I was gonna donate to the auction at the Oct Norcal IPS meeting at Glenns house... Un fortunately It out grew its pot and now its in ground growing bigger by the minute.

Yea I saw that crazy price on ebay.... I actually sold a couple of gallon sized ones for over $200 each. But my min bid started at below $100.

Once I master propagating them, I'll keep you in mind. You'd think that since they are a super fast growing ficus, they'd be easy to grow from a cutting.... they are not!

Other than that.... perhaps another palm board grower can chime in and hook a brother up?

Thanks Jeff. Demand for these obviously outstrips supply. It's an incredible tree when mature and when young.

zone 10a/9b

sunset zone 16

Las Palmas Design

Facebook Page

Magnolia macrophylla might be a good substitute for Ficus dammaropisis for those of us that are in colder zones than Jim.

Yes, those are very tropical looking when fully leafed out and, being deciduous, they have some good cold hardiness.

zone 10a/9b

sunset zone 16

Las Palmas Design

Facebook Page

Beautiful landscaping, amazing yard. Hard to believe you are growing all that in Northern California. Your yard looks as lush as many in South Florida even though you are using some different species.

Lou St. Aug, FL

Beautiful landscaping, amazing yard. Hard to believe you are growing all that in Northern California. Your yard looks as lush as many in South Florida even though you are using some different species.

Thanks, Lou. The Bay Area is blessed with some good microclimates created by the ocean, bay, and hills. My landscape itself has its own microclimates as well like many gardens do.

zone 10a/9b

sunset zone 16

Las Palmas Design

Facebook Page

WOW,

Thank you for sharing pics of your lovely garden.

May I ask which species is the variegated ground cover on pic …1056? a Crinum?

I must say that your garden is a source of inspiration for what I try to do in Doranakanda… after I read Made Wijaya years ago.

But I'll have to wait for some years before seeing trunks on my palms.

5809129ecff1c_P1010385copie3.JPG.15aa3f5

Philippe

Jungle Paradise in Sri Lanka

Jim, I keep looking back at these photos as I continue my constant planning...great NorCal inspiration! I too need to pick your brains on companion plants at some stage.

Ben Rogers

On the border of Concord & Clayton in the East Bay hills - Elev 387 ft 37.95 °N, 121.94 °W

My back yard weather station: http://www.wunderground.com/cgi-bin/findweather/hdfForecast?query=37.954%2C-121.945&sp=KCACONCO37

Jim,

Thanks Jeff. Demand for these obviously outstrips supply. It's an incredible tree when mature and when young.

MattyB seems to sell them every so often, but I know he's pretty far away from you. It might be worth a road trip though! At least with him you know it's the real deal, which can't be said for ebay.

Keith 

Palmetto, Florida (10a) and Tampa, Florida (9b/10a)

Keith, I've dealt with many of the growers selling their goods on eBay and have always had good luck plants from bromeliads, to palms, to aquatic plants, heliconia, etc. yes, Matty is far, about 500 miles from me. Jeff in Modesto is much closer and propagates those ficus occasionally.

zone 10a/9b

sunset zone 16

Las Palmas Design

Facebook Page

Jim, I keep looking back at these photos as I continue my constant planning...great NorCal inspiration! I too need to pick your brains on companion plants at some stage.

Ben, pick away! By the way, I'm shipping you a ton of Archontophoenix seedlings tomorrow. Hope they do well for you.

zone 10a/9b

sunset zone 16

Las Palmas Design

Facebook Page