IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

What's wrong with this picture??

SubTropicRay

610temp.new.gif

Tampa, Interbay Peninsula, Florida, USA

subtropical USDA Zone 10A

Bokeelia, Pine Island, Florida, USA

subtropical USDA Zone 10B

Part of me wants to say it looks fine to me....But I know better :)

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

Ray,

I keep telling you guys it AIN"T over till it's over!  :;):  

The infamous  METEO boys are saying that in south Florida it is still WINTER! Spring has not SPRUNG yet! But what the heck do they know? Or maybe the guy spilled some BLUE ink, in the bottom right corner of the map! :laugh:

Scott

Titusville, FL

1/2 mile from the Indian River

USDA Zone COLD

Perhaps the NWS boys are passing the crack pipe around?!

That doesn't make any sense.  What is the source of that cold?  Everytime there is cool weather in South Florida it seems to come from colder weather further north, I have never seen an image like that before.

]

Corey Lucas-Divers

Dorset, UK

Ave Jul High 72F/22C (91F/33C Max)

Ave Jul Low 52F/11C (45F/7C Min)

Ave Jan High 46F/8C (59F/15C Max)

Ave Jan Low 34F/1C (21F/-6C Min)

Ave Rain 736mm pa

(Neofolis @ Mar. 08 2007,11:57)

That doesn't make any sense.  What is the source of that cold?  Everytime there is cool weather in South Florida it seems to come from colder weather further north, I have never seen an image like that before.

Corey

It means cooler than normal.  For example: only 76F/24c instead of 80F/2.6c still makes So Florida the warmest region in the US [Hawaii excluded]

Ray

Wouldn't worry since NWS accuracy rate on medium-term forecasts is 50/50, IMO  :laugh:

Los Angeles/Pasadena

34° 10' N   118° 18' W

Elevation: 910'/278m

January Average Hi/Lo: 69F/50F

July Average Hi/Lo: 88F/66F

Average Rainfall: 19"/48cm

USDA 11/Sunset 23

http://cdec.water.ca.gov/cgi-progs/queryF?MTW

What winter.  South Florida doesn't get winter, unless you consider average highs of 77F in January winter.

(syersj @ Mar. 08 2007,18:25)

What winter.  South Florida doesn't get winter, unless you consider average highs of 77F in January winter.

Would you consider 32.4 F winter? Not quite freezing but awfully close!

That was the temp at  the Homestead  FAWN station south and west of Miami 2/19/2007! :;):

Scott

Titusville, FL

USDA Zone COLD

(gsn @ Mar. 08 2007,20:59)

(syersj @ Mar. 08 2007,18:25)

Would you consider 32.4 F winter? Not quite freezing but awfully close!

That was the temp at  the Homestead  FAWN station south and west of Miami 2/19/2007! :;):

Not really, if it was a one time occasion nearly 30 degrees below average.  And Homestead is way colder than the rest of Miami.  I bet Miami Downtown, and Miami Beach weren't anywhere near that cold.

(syersj @ Mar. 08 2007,21:14)

And Homestead is way colder than the rest of Miami.  I bet Miami Downtown, and Miami Beach weren't anywhere near that cold.

Jim,

You didn't say Miami you said South Florida! Homestead is south Florida! :;):

And I bet your right, Miami and Miami Beach were probably much warmer. :D

However in a 1989 type event, I'm sure alot of things in south Florida,including Miami, were damaged by COLD temps. So sometimes winter does visit south Florida! :cool:

Scott

Titusville, FL

USDA Zone COLD

(gsn @ Mar. 08 2007,21:28)

(syersj @ Mar. 08 2007,21:14)

And Homestead is way colder than the rest of Miami.  I bet Miami Downtown, and Miami Beach weren't anywhere near that cold.

Jim,

You didn't say Miami you said South Florida! Homestead is south Florida! :;):

And I bet your right, Miami and Miami Beach were probably much warmer. :D

However in a 1989 type event, I'm sure alot of things in south Florida,including Miami, were damaged by COLD temps. So sometimes winter does visit south Florida! :cool:

You're right, I should have clarified. :)  :)

Homestead is quite a bit colder, in fact, without looking up weather data, I bet they see cold that areas much further north, but along the coast don't see.  I bet you have to go up past WPB to see the same level of cold they see in Homestead/interior Dade co.

And winter is relative.  The little tiny bit of cool weather they see in S FL, some would hardly consider winter.  Of course if feels cold to south floridians though. :D

What's wrong with this picture??

It's not Australia.

crack a tube

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

RAY!!!

Dig the new Elvira avatar!!!  :P

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

Elvira was just for you! :P

Miami was in the lower/mid 40's the night Homestead was 32F.  That's still winter in my Floridian book.

If it gets that cold in Homestead then how the heck do they grow all those amazing zone 10B and 11A palms to full adulthood? And they look amazing, not stunted or burned.

Parrish, FL

Zone 9B

Surprised that Homestead could be that much cooler than Miami since it is not that far inland ??? Can anyone explain the differential?

Los Angeles/Pasadena

34° 10' N   118° 18' W

Elevation: 910'/278m

January Average Hi/Lo: 69F/50F

July Average Hi/Lo: 88F/66F

Average Rainfall: 19"/48cm

USDA 11/Sunset 23

http://cdec.water.ca.gov/cgi-progs/queryF?MTW

Guys all I can tell you is look up that date on the Homestead FAWN site!  That is where I got the temp from. Febuary got pretty cold in  places inland, south of Orlando!

I'm sure there are places in Homestead warmer than the FAWN site.

Scott

Titusville, FL

USDA Zone COLD

It was warmer in coastal central Florida than inland south Florida on some of those cold nights.  I suspect Homestead's more rural location had something to do with the temp differential.  Concrete and asphault does make a difference.

Ray